The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi jplase,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I hope it’s a good match for you as well and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

If it ends up being too firm then it would certainly be a good “base” mattress for adding a topper but there is always some uncertainty in adding a topper when you can’t test the combination in person so I would cross that bridge when you get there to decide on whether adding a topper to your mattress or returning it and purchasing a latex hybrid that has a polyfoam base layer and a latex comfort layer “built in” would be the best choice or the “best value” for you.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks! Your list of local stores was also really helpful. I visited Nest Bedding in the SF Bay Area (among a couple others) and liked their system, but felt since I was leaning towards their firmest / firmer latex combo, I’d just experiment with Tuft & Needle.

Do you happen to know which latex mattress toppers have generous return policies? Hopefully won’t need one, but it seems Brooklyn Mattress one you recommended looks good, although $75 fee for 30 day return isn’t as nice as Tuft’s 100% return.

Best,

• jplase

Hi jplase,

The topper guidelines in post #2 here includes a link to the sources that have return or exchange policies that I’m aware of (and to some additional topper guidelines that would be helpful as well) but you will need to check their sites for the specific details.

Phoenix

Awesome, thanks!

Btw, maybe a little off topic - do you happen to have recommendations for brands for mattress protector and sheets? (Was searching through the top-nav links and couldn’t find a section.)

Hello All, new member here. Just wanted to add to the thread that I have suffered long enough with my Sealy mattress (severely sags in the middle after only 6 years ) and based on all the positive reviews and some experience with a firmer mattress helping my back I have decided to order the 10" Tuft and Needle. I’ll make sure to update the thread after it arrives with my impressions after sleeping on a MUCH softer bed for so many years. Seems like it will be a good value after reading many many reviews but of course, only my back and time on the bed can provide the insight necessary.

Hi jplase,

Post #89 here has more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and links to some good sources for all of them.

Post #7 here and the other topics and sources of information it links to should be helpful when it comes to choosing sheets.

Phoenix

Hi Bonez,

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Time to upgrade the 12 year old mattress (coincidentally purchased from mattresses.net all those years ago) on our 2.5 year old’s bed that both my husband and i lay on quite a bit as well to help her fall asleep. can’t wait to try the T&N 10!

Hi kaychen,

I’m also looking forward to your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

Initial Thoughts:

• Ordering/Delivery experience has been great. Fast responses to emailed questions, faster than expected delivery (based on their estimates), and was easy to set up the mattress.

• Feels like a quality product beyond the $500 cost (queen 10-inch).

• Actually softer than I expected. From all the “firm, too firm” feedback, I was expecting something even firmer.

• Interesting to me is the feel is definitely different from mattresses I’ve slept on in the past. I’m assuming it’s because it’s 100% foam rather than the springs, or springs + thin memory foam layer mattresses that I’m used to.

Overall positive; will see how things go in a couple weeks.

Hi jplase,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Just curious, what makes T&N’s polyurethane foam different from other polyurethane foams out there?
Their website lacked any detailed information.

Also their claim of perfect firmness and universal comfort for all body types and sleeping positions seems a little suspect.
Although the reviews on Amazon seem to back that claim for the most part, so maybe this is some kind of newfangled polyurethane foam.

Hi gme,

There is nothing unusual, unique, or “newfangled” about the polyfoam they use. They use 3 layers of polyfoam that are between 1.8 lbs and 2 lb density. What makes their mattress (or any mattress) unique is the design and layering of the materials inside it. Different layer thicknesses and firmness levels along with the specific properties of each polyfoam layer and the type of cover and quilting a mattress uses all combine together to make each mattress different from other mattresses that use similar materials.

Since Tuft & Needle only offers a single firmness level it would be an “all or nothing” choice that will be the “best” choice for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good choice” for a slightly larger percentage, an “OK” choice for a larger percentage yet and for those that it’s not a “good enough” choice they also have a great return policy so there is little risk in trying it.

Phoenix

Just ordered a king 10 today. New to any type of foam mattress but price point of T&N and return policy makes the trial possible so hoping to be a convert.

Hi rputnam,

You may have read this already but you will be among the first few that order their new design with their new higher quality/density comfort layer (see this topic).

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback on their new design when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

I am probably going to be ordering a 10" T&N this week.

I wrote a long e-mail message to Tuft and Needle, and had a reply within a few hours. So far I’m impressed, they answered every point of question that I had.

And just wanted to relay a few things:

1. As Phoenix stated, they are using a new 2 layer (instead of 3 layer system), using 3.5 lb density foam for the top comfort layer. Rachel (the rep who responded) said they made this change because they were getting feedback that the mattress was too firm. Supposedly the new foam will provide more pressure point relief, but still provide firm support.

Phoneix- how can a denser foam be “softer”. I can’t wrap my head around this- their old comfort layer was more like 2.0 lb wasn’t it?

1. I asked if flame retardants used in the foam- and Rachel confirmed there are no flame retardant chemicals in the foam.

2. Some people may have a “firmer experience” on the 5" vs. the 10" due to feeling the foundation through the bottom layer of foam. ( Maybe heavier people?).

3. Shipping date can be chosen (I like this since we will be out of town until December 14, but having guests Dec. 30- and I will get kicked out of the guest futon for 4 days- I no longer can sleep in my normal bed- like to have something to try for a week and a half before guests arrive!)

Hope this helps. I didn’t post the entire message- it’s very long, trying to address my health issues. Figure the mattress is worth trying, one of the things that makes me cringe about buying a mattress from many places is the return policy- and T&N is certainly generous. I seem to prefer polyfoam over other foams, so this seems like a good option to try.

Does anyone know if we still can request the 60 day return period for being on MU? I don’t know if I’ll need it, but I’m thinking about mentioning it when ordering.

Hi sheep123,

Any density of polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels or ILD/IFD’s so a lower density foam could be anywhere between ultra soft or ultra firm and a higher density polyfoam can be in the same range. This is part of the chemical formulation of a foam which can create stiffer cells or softer cells. Density can play some role in firmness in some cases because higher density foams tend to have a higher compression modulus which means they get firmer faster as you compress them more deeply than higher density foams (so they can also be more “supportive”) but this isn’t always the case either because once again it depends on the chemical formulation of the foam. There is also more in post #4 here about the different specs that can interact together and affect how soft or firm a foam feels. Their old foam layers were about 2 lbs yes.

Fire retardant foams are not particularly common in mattresses which most often use barrier systems to pass the fire regulations. They are much more common in furniture.

Yes … heavier people would be more likely to experience this. There is more about the effect of thickness in post #14 here.

Yes … if you let them know you are a member here then you would be entitled to the 6.5% discount that they provide to the forum members here (unless there is a sale that is larger than the discount) and the trial period would also be extended to 60 days.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix for making this more clear to me.

And thank you for clearing this up for me- I was under the impression that most polyfoam in mattresses had flame retardant chemicals like couches do. The “organic” mattress industry sure leads us to believe this, and make a big deal about their latex foams not containing chemical flame retardants, and the wool/cotton covering being the fire barrier. I am comfortable with T&N’s use of rayon/silca as a fire barrier, unlike some of the websites online would lead consumers to believe this is dangerous…

Thanks.

Hi sheep123,

As you can see at the end of this article and in post #2 here … I would have no concerns with the safety of this type of fire barrier either.

Phoenix

I received the 5 inch Queen last week (pre-updated model).

I’ve had good nights of sleep, but I have woken up with a severely sore neck and back 2 or 3 times.

I am now trying to decide whether to simply add a mattress topper or possibly try their updated version.

It would be nice if some company offered a trial period for a mattress topper as well (without having to pay return shipping fees that nearly equal the cost of the topper).

Not sure what to do, but at least I have a few more weeks for the T&N trial.

Despite the soreness, sleep quality has been above average compared to my recent IKEA mattress. I also love the Spartan-ness of having a 5" mattress.