The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Just ordered the 10 inch today. Been sleeping on a mattress that I inherited around 10 years ago that’s probably at least 20 years old by now. I have some nagging lower back problems and am hoping I will notice a huge difference. Appreciate all the info here and will post my experiences soon.

Hi mglehtonen,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I received the T&N 10 on May-14-2014 (details and pics in post #107). I am happy to say that the mattress is still holding up very well. I have been very pleased with this purchase, and would definitely buy another T&N.

Hi darkarchon,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update with your longer term experience … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your Tuft and Needle is working out so well for you.

Phoenix

I was wondering if I should be concerned that the Tuft and Needle now has a 1.8 lb/in^2 poly foam base compared to the old 2.0lb/in^2 one? I’m a little concerned because I am replacing an old memory foam mattress that hasn’t really worn well, and I am also on the heavier side.

Hi drewa405,

The previous version of the Tuft & Needle used foam that was in “about” a 2 lb density range (density is normally expressed as a range and isn’t exact) and the nominal density values of the three were about 1.8 and 1.9 lb density. The weakest link of a mattress is the upper layers which are most subject to the stresses of the compression forces that come from sleeping on a mattress and their new design (see posts #2 and #6 here) uses a higher quality/density material in the top 3" of the mattress so if anything it would be very likely to be more durable than their previous version (which would also be a big part of the reason why they increased the warranty from 7 to 10 years).

It would certainly be a suitable choice in its budget range even for those that are in higher than average weight ranges.

Phoenix

Hi,

Have been pouring through all of this tonight and noticed something that was initially confusing me in the discussion and pricing of the 12 in 1… There are essentially two versions of this mattress while only one is actually called the “12 in one”… this one has the polyfoam as described above, and has the $400 price tag. The UD freedom version is twice the price but has the same interchangeable layers in Latex foam… If looking at these was confusing me, I thought it be doing the same for others as well!!!

Truth is, I cant actually afford ANY mattress right now although I do need one!! Still, while a $400 tag is tempting, I am thinking that with all of my neck/shoulder and hip pain when a bed isnt “just right” , that the latex would have to be the better, more supportive option. (currently sleeping ion a many year old air mattress sitting on 16 plastic supports!!! I tend to fill the air to almost the fullest level for greatest support, so I know I need something pretty firm.)

Hi mt_huckleberry,

There is only one version of the 12 in 1 customizable but you’re right that the Freedom mattress has the same basic design even though it uses very different materials (2 lb polyfoam vs synthetic latex).

They are both great quality/value choices and both have the advantage of providing many ways to customize the mattress after a purchase.

Phoenix

I purchased Dreamfoam 12 in 1 3 weeks ago. My final 2 mattress candidates were Tuft & Needle and Dreamfoam 12 in 1. The price and the ability to customization won in favor of Dreamfoam. Even thou Dreamform offers 45 days return which also charges $99 return shipping fee. I always thought I am a firm mattress kind of person but came to find out I much preferred flush setting with the 12 in 1 customization. I had a sleep innovation memory foam mattress prior. Of the two mattresses, memory foam vs polyfoam, I personally preferred the polyfoam due the fact the polyfoam doesn’t sink and mold your body like memory foam. The polyfoam feels like a normal spring mattress which I seem to like. I have been sleeping on the 12 in 1 for about 3 weeks now and I really enjoy it. It’s very comfortable and I wake up with less pain all around but the polyfoam smell still lingers a little even after 3 weeks.

Hi Zodiac,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback about the Dreamfoam 12 in 1 customizable … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

This will soon dissipate to levels that you don’t notice any more but some of the suggestions in post #3 here may help this happen a little more quickly.

Phoenix

Phoenix, thanks for all the work you’ve put into this.

I’m going to pull the trigger on the 10 in Tuft & Needle as soon as taxes come back.
My concern is a new frame
Will this one be suitable for this mattress?
or should I look for something more like a slatted platform?

Hi Farseth,

It may be a good idea to check with Tuft & Needle to see if they think you would feel the steel wires through the mattress because the platform foundation you linked has fairly wide gaps in between the wires but I think it would probably be fine.

Phoenix

[size=3]My Email
[i]Hi I was looking at various platforms suitable for the 10 inch version. Amazon.com Would the platform at that link be suitable? I’m concerned with the width of the supports and the space between them.

1. I don’t want to damage my new mattress. :slight_smile:

2. would I be able to feel the wires while sleeping? or other activities on the bed?[/i]

Their Reply
[i]Thanks for reaching out! That’s actually the frame we use in our office, so it’ll most definitely work great with our mattress. There won’t be any damage to the mattress at all. :slight_smile:

The 10" mattress is thick enough and offers enough support so that you won’t feel the wires no matter what you do on the bed. Our 10" mattresses are actually designed to support 500 lb per person, so rest assured that you won’t feel the bars underneath you at all! However, if you do, be sure to let us know!

I hope that helped! Let me know if you need any more information or have any other questions! :)[/i][/size]

Sounds like a decent endorsement to me. The reply was so fast I’m almost afraid its automated. :slight_smile:

Hi Farseth,

Thanks for sharing their comments and confirming that it would be fine :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote=“Farseth” post=48372][size=3]My Email
[i]Hi I was looking at various platforms suitable for the 10 inch version. Amazon.com Would the platform at that link be suitable? I’m concerned with the width of the supports and the space between them.

1. I don’t want to damage my new mattress. :slight_smile:

2. would I be able to feel the wires while sleeping? or other activities on the bed?[/i]

Their Reply
[i]Thanks for reaching out! That’s actually the frame we use in our office, so it’ll most definitely work great with our mattress. There won’t be any damage to the mattress at all. :slight_smile:

The 10" mattress is thick enough and offers enough support so that you won’t feel the wires no matter what you do on the bed. Our 10" mattresses are actually designed to support 500 lb per person, so rest assured that you won’t feel the bars underneath you at all! However, if you do, be sure to let us know!

I hope that helped! Let me know if you need any more information or have any other questions! :)[/i][/size]

Sounds like a decent endorsement to me. The reply was so fast I’m almost afraid its automated. :)[/quote]

Thanks very much for the info. I have the next step up model, the “Elite”. All steel no wires and it’s as solid and silent as sleeping on the floor. It’s nice to know that I can keep using it. :slight_smile:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Master-Platform-Mattress-Foundation/dp/B00BWC1X3S

So Im probably going to buy the 5 inch twin version because the max i will weigh is probably 145 pounds and i want to save $100.
Some questions

1. the only difference in thickness is due the most bottom layer? the top layer is the same thickness on both models?
  2. the reseller on amazon is the official tuft and needle?
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&asin=&isAmazonFulfilled=&isCBA=&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&orderID=&seller=A1NS55XVWB4IRG
  3. if they are official, they are only shipping the new and improved model?

Thank you.

Hi Sds,

The top layer in the Five is thinner than in the Ten ( I believe it is about 2" and is about 3" in the Ten). The “feel” is the same.

Yes.

As far as I know yes but of course they would be a more reliable source of answers to these types of questions than I am.

Tuft & Needle sells both their Five and Ten models on Amazon but the difference is that the Five is fulfilled by Tuft & Needle so their return policy would apply but the Ten is fulfilled by Amazon so the Amazon return policy would apply (see the Tuft & Needle Q & A page here).

Phoenix

I could order from their official site, but im not sure if there is tax, im in New York. the order process seems like its just one screen.
Do tuft & needle charge tax for New York? I sent them a msg therough there officlal website support but no answer yet

Hi Sds,

I don’t think so (they are located in Arizona) but they will tell you for certain.

Phoenix

the order process actually had a 2nd screen, i was just confused the first button was “place order”
anyway i ordered from the official site. Will leave some comments in the future since less info is available on the five inch.