The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Just ordered mine- Thanks to this forum for the reviews.

Hi mikew,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

Just a reminder to people ordering a new Tuft and Needle-

If you’ve read much of Mattress Underground, you will know that Phoenix says it can take a few weeks for a new mattress to “break in” and for your body to adjust to the new surface.

I have found this to be absolutely true with our Tuft and Needle ordered in December…

The mattress you receive on day 1 will not feel like the same mattress after a couple of weeks as the foam softens up and your body adjusts…

Hope everyone enjoys their new mattress as much as I do mine!

After a lot of research we have settled on the Tuft and Needle based mainly on this thread. It hits most of me and the wifes combined PPP. If it doesnt work then we are thinking of going with the Casper, but the T&N is just a great deal and based on a lot of reading it doesnt sacrifice materials.

One question though is what sort of pillows is everyone using? Typically I sleep with 2 or 3 pillows on my innerspring with crazy sag.

Thanks all!

My neck and shoulders used to often be sore or stiff from sleeping. Now I use the Therapeutica Pillow Average Adult size and I no longer have neck and shoulder issues. The pillow will seem uncomfortable at first, especially if you’re already having issues, but now I don’t want to sleep without it. I am a side sleeper and it supports my head while relieving pressure off of my shoulder. If you don’t expect miracles overnight and are willing to give it a chance then I highly recommend trying this specific pillow (but sized to your needs.)

Hi Altimax98,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you also have the chance to share you comments after you receive it.

You will probably get as many answers to this as there are people because there are so many different pillow preferences but there is more information about pillows that may be helpful in the pillow topic here.

Phoenix

Just placed my order as well! Can’t wait! :slight_smile:

Hi Turkish_Honey,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and as always I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Here’s a little initial feedback about out T&N:

Our T&N 10 in. arrived on 2/23, and we’ve slept on it for only 5 nights. As many others have written, it’s definitely a firm mattress, but it’s not like sleeping on the floor. When I feel down the sides of my body, I definitely can tell that the mattress is contouring to my body and I’m not “lying on top of the mattress” like I would on the floor. All of our previous mattresses have been traditional inner spring mattresses, so, of course, the T&N is quite different. There isn’t any motion transfer and it feels more “solid” when getting in and our of bed.

It’s been only 5 nights, but I am definitely waking more time during the night than with our previous inner spring mattress. I am a back and side sleeper. When I’m on my side, I find that I’m bothered by ‘pressure’ in my hip and then need to move to my back. When I’m on my back, I haven’t identified any particular pressure point, but I’m not staying on my back for the entire night. I may be moving to my side again because of habit - who knows.

As for how I feel when I awaken, I have a slight achy feeling in my lower back. But… Once I’m up, the ache disappears within 10-15 minutes. One big positive thing is that my neck and shoulders don’t hurt at all. I tried a memory foam mattress for a few weeks and it killed my neck. With the T&N, I’m having no neck or shoulder pain. Yay!

It seems like the T&N is working for me in terms of posture, but I’m still unsure about pressure and preference. I like the mattress; It’s fine. Really, it’s fine ;). But I guess I just don’t love it. My spouse has no complaints about the T&N, but he’s never complained about any mattress unless it is just unbelievably, super soft. I know I need to adjust to the stillness of a foam mattress, but I think waking up fewer times to change positions would tip the scales for me.

Even though my neck and shoulder pain is gone, I still find myself wondering about the Casper. I will, of course, continue to sleep on it for a few more weeks and see how my body adjusts to the new sleeping surface. But I hate that I’m looking at other mattresses and find myself wondering, “what about that one?”

Watson4321-

We got our Tuft and Needle 10" in December. If you read back in my previous posts, you will see that I went to a sort of unsure first week, getting better the second and third week, then by the 5th week, I was absolutely in love with the mattress.

The mattress as you feel it now, will not feel the same in another 10 days. The top will continue to break in, that takes about 2 weeks at least. Your body is adjusting too- if you’ve been on innersprings the past several years, your body needs time to adjust.

If you want to help break in the mattress faster, walk over the top of the surface a couple of times a day- this will help “break in” the foam faster. I walked on the top of our mattress once or twice a day for the first week to help speed up the new foam break up into a slightly softer surface.

I was waking up several times a night the first week, I think even into the second week too. Now I sleep like a log through the night.

Give it a little more time, your experience on the mattress won’t be the same in 10 days, I can say that with certainty. If after another two weeks you still have the hip pain, then the mattress may not be for you, but if it’s pressure point pain, the foam is going to soften up just a little bit over the next week, and that may greatly improve the hip discomfort.

Your neck pain may very well have been a pillow issue. If you are using the same pillow now as on the memory foam mattress, the pillow might be just more suited to the Tuft and Needle. I had to switch to a new pillow on the Tuft and Needle because I was getting pain between the scapula and neck pain. It went away after a week after switching to a new pillow.

Be patient…

And PS- at least in my case, I had a lot of pressure point pain on the Casper, and have none on the Tuft and Needle. I know all of us are different, but don’t assume that the Casper is going to be “the one”- the grass is always greener.

I think what you are experiencing on the Tuft and Needle isn’t too much different than what I experienced. Give it time, it took 3 weeks to actually “like” the mattress, and it took me 5 weeks to “love” the mattress. If after a month it’s still causing pain though, then it’s not the best mattress for you…

Hi Watson123,

As you know one of the attractions of the “one choice fits all” style of mattresses is that they simplify the buying and decision making process which can be very attractive to some people and may be one of the most important parts of their “personal value equation”. With any retailer or manufacturer that only offers a single mattress though you will find that they will be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet, and for those that it isn’t a “good enough” match … they have a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

As Sheep123 mentioned you will notice changes over the course of the first few weeks as your mattress “breaks in” and you go through the adjustment process for any new sleeping surface and there are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well (some of which sheep123 also mentioned) but if you give it a few weeks and your Tuft & Needle mattress (or any “one choice fits all” mattress) just isn’t turning out to be as suitable a choice as you hoped for in terms of PPP then you have the benefit of a great return policy that lets you “try again” with little risk.

I’m looking forward to seeing how things progress for you over the course of the next few weeks.

Phoenix

What an awesome amount of info on this site (and thread), so glad I found it before making a purchase. After learning of T&N it looks like that will be my first choice into a foam mattress, especially with their return policy.

One question, will ordering the 10 through their website or Amazon result in the “new” model being shipped?

Many thanks

Hi drdt10k,

Yes they are only shipping their new model either way but the additional 6.5% discount and the extended trial period that they give to the forum members here only applies to purchases from their own site … not to Amazon purchases.

Phoenix

Got the mattress on my front porch 6 days after I ordered it. First impressions… we really like it. A totally different feel at this point than memory foam, which is a good thing for our preferences. Not as firm as I’d imagined, even brand new. It puffed up to full size almost immediately.

Honestly, even if this mattress doesn’t work out, this way of shopping is a lot more convenient than dealing with local mattress stores like Denver Mattress or the handful of other outlets around here. Denver Mattress customer service was great with the purchase. With returning the mattress, however… not so much.

We will definitely keep it for the trial period and see what happens. I feel great about saving two hundred bucks versus Casper, and the Mattress Underground seal of approval means a lot.

Hi Co_west,

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions … sounds promising so far :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for such a great website! I have learned that there is so much more to mattresses than I ever thought. I really like the tutorials that break down all of the different materials and their properties. It is very helpful to look past the marketing-speak of mattress sellers.
I think I will go for the T&N 10 after some investigation. We have been sleeping on the floor for the past few years after finding that the cheapo “medium-firm” mattress from a mattress warehouse was very uncomfortable after 6 months of sleeping on it.
We are finally tiring of sleeping on the floor and ready for an “upgrade”. I am interested to test the T&N and like the idea of having several weeks to try out the mattress. Here goes!

Hi becca15x,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to test it out as well.

Phoenix

A review of my experience with tuft & needle:
I bought the 5 inch and it doesnt feel too “thin”. If i didnt know it was 5 inches i would had thought it was an normal 8 inch mattress. It doesnt heat up and its medium/medium firm. Im a back sleeper and have no problems with sleeping the whole night in that position on this mattress.

Their customer service is Excellent!
Answered all my questions and resolved an shipping issue that wasnt their fault. They are a very honest company and are very willing to help and fulfill their promise. After experiencing it firsthand, im sure i will recommend/buy from them again.

Hi Sds,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I switched your post to the Tuft & Needle Five topic so that others that were considering the same mattress would have an easier time finding it.

Phoenix

An update on my experience with my T & N:

The 10 in. T&N is a great mattress, but it’s just not for me. We slept on the T&N for almost 2 weeks and for me it’s definitely a medium-firm to firm mattress. My biggest complaint about the T&N is the “dead” feeling in the foam. Each night that I slept on it, I was always “aware” of the mattress - where I was, how I moved on it, where my spouse was, etc. I wasn’t able to forget the mattress and just sleep. I found that the T&N fulfilled 2 of the three Ps for me - posture/alignment and pressure relief, but not for personal preference. I have contacted T&N and have started the return procedure - which is very easy. When a local charity picks up the T&N, I will send them a copy of my receipt and they will refund my purchase price.

We’re now sleeping on the Casper and it’s a great fit for us. In terms of firmness the Casper is very similar to the T&N. I have read many folks say that they thought the T&N was firmer than the Casper, but that is not my experience. Phoenix has written that firmness and softness differs greatly between individuals. That really didn’t make sense to me until I directly compared the T&N to the Casper. To others the T&N may be firmer that the Casper, but for me the difference in firmness was negligible. I’ve slept on the Casper for less than a week, but at this point I love it. Even though the two mattresses are similar in their firmness, they sleep very differently. Where the T&N seems “dead”, the Casper is “livelier” - without actually being bouncy. The top comfort layer in the Casper is latex, so this adds a more dynamic element to the mattress that the T&N doesn’t have. Even though it’s livelier, it is still has great motion transfer - meaning I don’t feel my husband moving or turning over. Where I couldn’t forget I was sleeping on the T&N, with the Casper I get in bed and sleep. I’ve never slept on latex before - and I know there’s not a lot of latex in the Casper comfort layer - but I definitely like the “feel” that it adds to the mattress.

I’m glad a gave the T&N a try, but I’ve found the Casper fits all three Ps for me. Hope this helps!