The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

This forum has been really helpful to me. We’ve looked at reviews of the Casper versus T&N and we’ve decided to go with the T&N. Practically speaking, this is the best choice for us simply due to logistics: none of the online bed purveyors seem to ship to Hawaii (where we live) except for T&N. Prior to finding out about T&N, we were set to order a Casper and use a third party shipping company, which is literally called ShipToHawaii. But Casper’s website wouldn’t take payment from a credit card with a Hawaii billing address…

So here we are, glad for the T&N option. We just needed to see everyone’s feedback after having purchased so that we feel like we’re not merely settling because they’re the only ones who ship here. Reading everyone’s comments assures us we’re actually making a good choice. Hope it works out well for us!

Thanks, everyone on this thread (and elsewhere on TMU) for taking the time to share your impressions! The discount also helps, because we have to pay shipping to Hawaii (something like an additional $100-$180 depending on which one we order).

You are not “settling” at all in my opinion. We could have decided on either Casper or T&N, but opted for T&N and are very pleased. I just changed the sheets again tonight and commented out loud to myself how beautiful a mattress it is.

I will just reiterate what others have said…give the T&N a couple weeks to break in and for you to acclimate to it. It’s a firm mattress, to be sure, but it will soften a bit with time and you will learn to love the firmness.

Good luck with your purchase!

Hi devlynaskurt,

I would agree with dwzemens that you aren’t “settling” at all and I think you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :).

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Oh, we’re eager to share our impressions, too! Thanks!

The one thing I just noticed today, after over a month of sleeping on the T&N 10, is that the mattress definitely gets softer when it is warm. I notice that in the morning not only is the area where I was directly sleeping softer than it was the night before, but the other parts of the mattress that are only residually warmer are also softer. When I return home from work and the mattress has cooled for the day it is unquestionably firmer than it was in the morning.

I’d be curious to here Phoenix comment on this observation, and in particular how this effect might influence sleeping on the mattress in the warmer summer months.

Hi dwzemens,

All foam materials will be affected to some degree by temperature, humidity, and the length of time they are continuously compressed even if they aren’t specifically temperature sensitive so it’s really a matter of degree. Of course memory foam is specifically made to be temperature sensitive in a certain range of temperatures (and they are also sensitive to humidity and the length of time they are compressed as well) but this will also happen to smaller degrees to other types of foam materials as well depending on the formulation of the foam.

How this affects the sleeping temperature for a particular person will depend on all the many other factors that can affect temperature regulation outside of the foam materials used in the comfort layers including the fabric and any quilting in the mattress cover, the type of mattress protector you use, your sheets, your bedclothes, your bedding, and your sleeping environment which can all have a significant effect on temperature regulation which in many cases is more than the effect of the top foam layers in your mattress no matter what they are. Where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range will also play a big role in temperature regulation. There is more about the many variables that can combine together to affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here and the posts it links to.

Some people are more sensitive to temperature and can have temperature regulation issues on mattresses that most people wouldn’t depending on the combination of factors that combine together to affect temperature regulation but even materials like memory foam which tend to be warmer for most people than other types of foam will only have temperature regulation issues for a minority of people and there are usually enough solutions available that most temperature regulation issues can be solved or at least minimized to levels that are “good enough” for most people.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix. Any thoughts about how body temperature impacts the “softness” of a T&N polyfoam mattress? Am I correct in my observation that it is “softer” in the morning when it is warmed by the body heat produced all night?

Hi dwzemens,

In general terms the foam they use is not particularly temperature sensitive so it certainly wouldn’t have the temperature sensitivity of a material like memory foam but I don’t have any personal experience with their mattress so they would be a more reliable source of information about how temperature, humidity, or continuous compression would affect their mattress over the course of the night than I am.

I don’t know whether temperature, humidity, or continuous compression would account for some or all of any softening you experienced or whether it would be a combination of all three.

Phoenix

Just ordered a 10" Tuft & Needle as the first mattress I’ve ever bought myself.

No matter what happens it was a zero stress process!

Hi nealsred,

Buying a mattress with “zero stress” is a good thing!

Best of all … you made a great quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to any comments and feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it.

Phoenix

We’re roughly a month into our Cal King TN and, WOW! Sooooooooooooooooooo much better than our POS innerspring (which we paid a lot of $$$ on 6 years ago)!!!

I was a bit panicked when we first laid down - this thing is FIRM! As a side sleeper (but not a big guy - 6’, 180) I was a bit wary of such a firm sleeping surface, but it’s… it’s hard to explain this mattress. It’s certainly firm but it’s not hard. I know that makes zero sense, trust me, I know!! I had some hip pain upon waking from the old innerspring mattress and after the first night it was lesser, and the second night? GONE. Seriously. All the way gone.and I’m just as shocked as you are. :wink:

From ordering to delivery to opening to dropping it on the bed frame (I screwed up and it unravelled upside down, but it’s surprisingly light and easy to flip), everything was easy as pie.

We’ve turned it after two weeks, and will turn it again a month after that, and then twice a year from then on. All in all, I couldn’t be happier with this mattress. We could’ve gone with the big boys and their pricy offerings, but we took a flyer on this, and the return policy really makes it an easy decision. The T&N folks are an absolute pleasure to work with and even if we only get 5 years out of this thing, it’s well worth it and I’d have absolutely ZERO hesitation buying another one.

Once again, thanks to all who’ve participated in this thread - I’d probably STILL be mattress shopping without you all!

David

Hi socaldave,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback in such detail … I appreciate it.

Your description certainly makes sense to me and to many others that have given similar descriptions of their sleeping experience on their Tuft and Needle. The foam they use is in a firmer range but it also contours well to the shape of the body so it can provide good weight distribution and pressure relief even though it’s in a firmer range.

It’s great to hear that your mattress is working out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

[quote]I was a bit panicked when we first laid down - this thing is FIRM! As a side sleeper (but not a big guy - 6’, 180) I was a bit wary of such a firm sleeping surface, but it’s… it’s hard to explain this mattress. It’s certainly firm but it’s not hard. I know that makes zero sense, trust me, I know!![/quote]I

This is exactly how I found the T&N to be. Hard to imagine, scary at first, but a dream to sleep on once you get into it.

I had a 60 day extended trial period as a member of this forum, but just this morning (45 days into the trial) I put the old innerspring mattress on the curb for the trash men to collect. It’s signed, sealed and delivered now … T&N is a wonderful mattress.

SURFACE TENSION
From my perspective, I finally figured out what the “trick” seems to be with how the T&N is so firm, but so comfortable. To me it seems like the mattress has some type of “surface tension” across it’s top. When I push down on the mattress with my flat hand, I feel firmness, but I also feel as though there is some initial tension across a greater surface than simply the width of my hand. After a bit more pressure, that tension breaks and my hand sinks nicely into the foam. At this point that surface tension relaxes and conforms more closely to my hands shape.

When I lay on the mattress that initial tension makes the mattress quite firm, but then the tension gives a bit and the body settles in place. I think this surface tension is also affected a bit by heat generated from the body, too.

So, that’s my final assessment of how T&N manages to provide such a uniquely firm yet very comfortable mattress. I’ve probably done too much thinking about this, but it’s quite a remarkable mattress!

Hi dwzemens,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and insights about your Tuft & Needle. Your comments certainly makes a lot of sense to me and I think you painted a great “picture” of the mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Ordered the 10’’ today through their website. Jordan was very helpful in answering questions I had beforehand. The wife and I look forward to this new mattress! We went with ordering a platform bed rather than a box spring so hopefully that will work out. I’ll do my best to report back in a couple weeks.

Hi drdt10k,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I’m in the market for a new mattress. I’m a side/belly sleeper and I’m 6 foot and 285 pounds currently.

Im currently sleeping on a 5 year old Sealy Posturepedic and I cannot stand it. It was a gift and I couldn’t say no. I’m constantly waking up with numb limbs even with it’s built in foam topper I can feel the springs digging in my hip.

Will an all foam mattress like the Tuft & Needle be a better choice? Being a bigger buy makes my choices harder, but the 30 return policy really might help me choosing a better mattress? Any other brands to consider?

Hi LowSkyOrbit,

The first place to start your research is the mattress shopping tutorial here which has all the basic informtion, steps, and guidelines that can help you make the best possible choices … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

The type of mattress or materials in a mattress you choose is always a personal preference rather than a “better/worse” choice.

Outside of the “regular” information in the tutorial that would apply to everyone … there is some information in post #3 here and the posts it links to that will be helpful for those that are in higher weight ranges where firmer materials and more durable materials will generally be more important.

The Tuft & Needle certainly uses higher quality and more durable materials than the Posturepedic you are currently sleeping on. There is more about some of the “one choice fits all” style of mattresses such as Tuft & Needle in post #3 here and there is also more information about them that would be relevant for higher weight ranges in post #3 here.

This is really too broad a question to be able to answer because I don’t know anything about the types of materials or mattresses you tend to prefer and depending on your preferences or whether you are considering local or online mattresses there are dozens of manufacturers that may also be worth considering on a “mattress by mattress” basis (depending on the quality of the materials in a specific mattress you are considering). Only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to make specific recommendations or suggest a specific mattress or combination of layers or materials based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here). I can certainly help you narrow down your options by avoiding the worst ones and with “how” to choose or act as a fact check but not with which specific mattress, company, or manufacturer to choose.

Outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … a mattress is only as good as its construction and the quality and durability of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label so I would focus more on the materials in a mattress than on the name of the manufacturer that makes it.

There is also more about the most important parts of the value of a mattress purchase in post #13 here that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

If you let me know your city or zip code I’d be happy to let you know about the better options or possibilities I’m aware of in your area.

If you are also considering online choices then the tutorial post also includes two links to lists of the better online options I’m aware of as well (in the optional online step).

Phoenix

Just ordered a 10"! I am so excited. We bedshare with our 2 year old and we’re all currently squashed on a queen. I will review once we get it. T&N says 7 days to receive it.