The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Just ordered a 10"! I am so excited. We bedshare with our 2 year old and we’re all currently squashed on a queen. I will review once we get it. T&N says 7 days to receive it.

Hi roseatespirit,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and since the mattress is in a firmer range it would also be more suitable for bed sharing than a softer mattress as well.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi All,

I’ve had the 10 in. Tuft and Needle for 5 nights now, and am having some mixed results. Both my wife and I notice waking a bit more frequently than usual. Not being stuck awake for any considerable time, but noticeable nonetheless. My wife feels that she has to wake up fully in order to switch from one side to another. We think this has to do with the amount of give that the upper layer has when pressing a hand or arm into it to move (as opposed to our very old traditional coil mattress, which didn’t give, at all).

Additionally, she doesn’t feel that her lower back is supported as well while sleeping supine. I wonder if she experiences this more than I do as she weighs less (130 pounds vs 180 pounds).

Either way, we’re not sure we’re in love with the product so far. We understand that the mattress will take a week or more to fully break in, but are also wondering if we should be considering an additional pillow top or something to help. We have a couple weeks to go before making the decision to keep it or not. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Hi WildSide,

I would tend to wait a few weeks (30 days is a good idea) for your mattress to break in and for you to adjust to a new sleeping surface before deciding on how you feel about it or whether to keep it or perhaps add a topper. There is more about the break in and adjustment period in post #2 here and there are some suggestions in post #2 here that may be very helpful as well (including the suggestion about the type of mattress protector or mattress pad you are using which can make a significant difference in the feel and performance of your mattress).

The most suitable use for a topper is to add some additional softness and pressure relief to your mattress so if after 30 days or so you decide that you need some additional softness and pressure relief then you can certainly add a topper although there is always some uncertainty involved in choosing the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper would be the best “match” for you in combination with a specific mattress. Tuft & Needle also has a great return policy that allows you to try their mattress with little risk so if you aren’t certain about adding a topper then you can also return it and choose a mattress that is a better “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences).

Phoenix

I also just recently acquired this mattress. I’ve seen nothing but great results from it. Although it didn’t get rid of some minor back pains like it promised to, I have noticed that my sleep quality every night has definitely increased and it takes me a shorter time to fall asleep. I guess now I’ll just wait and see if it helps ease my back pain, but so far it’s been a generally positive experience.

Hi clarkaster1,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with Tuft & Needle … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I don’t think that any reputable retailer or manufacturer would ever promise that a mattress would get rid of back pain so I’m not sure where you read this. The best a mattress can do is keep your spine and joints in good alignment which can help prevent back pain if your back is in good condition and can also help in the healing process if you have preexisting back issues (along with medical treatment or course) but a mattress that keeps one person in good alignment may not work nearly as well for someone else because each person is unique in their body type, weight distribution, sleeping positions, and physiology. The only reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good match for someone in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) or how it will affect someone’'s back pain is based on their own personal testing or sleeping experience although firmer mattresses (but not too firm which can also cause back discomfort or pain) will generally have the highest odds of success for “most” people with back pain.

I’m not sure how long you’ve had your mattress but there will also be a break in and adjustment period for the first few weeks as you get used to a new sleeping surface (see post #3 here) so I’m looking forward to any ongoing feedback you have the chance to share.

Phoenix

My wife and I have been sleeping on our new TN for about a week now. I was happy that there was not an odor after unpacking and I let it air out for about 8 hours before putting on sheets. We both felt it was very firm initially, but seems to be slowly breaking in over the week. I’m anxious to see how it is in a month.

Hi drdt10k,

Thanks for the update … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Planning on ordering this mattress today, as I’ve read nothing but positive reviews about it!

Hi CommanderChris,

You are certainly making a good quality/value choice and I hope your new Tuft & Needle works out as well for you as well as it has for many others that have purchased it although if for some reason it doesn’t turn out to be as good a “match” as you hoped for then there is little risk in trying it because of their great return policy!

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I am pretty sure I am going to order a Tuft and Needle very shortly. I am very confused about the kind of foundation. The mattress I am replacing is embarrassingly old (25 years) and so is the foundation. So, I feel like I need a brand new foundation. I have seen reviews on various sites where people say that you should not use a standard type (like the one that came with my old innerspring mattress) because of ventilation issues, and there may be a problem with mold. If that is the case, then I would think that putting a foam mattress on a wood platform bed would create the same problem (not that I plan to buy a platform bed). Some have recommended a metal box spring frame, although I am not sure how that would fit since I have a bed which has, not just a headboard and footboard, but sides as well. Obviously I need something to go under the mattress. Your help is much appreciated.

It’s all explained here. Very thorough analysis.
-Jeff

Thank you!

I am truly amazed at how much great information exists on this site. I am currently in the market to upgrade to a new bed off of my very soft kirkland king size bed when I move into my new home soon because it leaves me with lower back soreness that I just cannot shake. I was almost set to go with a sleep number bed i8 that my SO and I had tried out in the store, when I stumbled across these newer companies like T&N and Casper. After ton’s of research and great posts from the members on this site and other places, we will be ordering a 10" T&N later this evening. The way I see it, with there be little to no risk involved because of their great return policy, and we could find ourselves really liking and getting a bed we didn’t even know we were looking for, or maybe we won’t and we move on to try the next one. With almost a 3k price difference between the sleep-number and the T&N, I am all for a bed testing experiment. I will check back in later to report my findings on how the new bed turns out soon!

Hi mars315,

Jeff already linked the reference post for foundations and support systems which includes many good options for a suitable support system for your mattress (thanks Jeff :))

Assuming that you decide to pull the trigger on the Tuft & Needle as well … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Joebohoebo,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! and I’m glad the site could help you.

You are certainly making a great quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your feedback when you receive it to let us know how it works out for you. As you mentioned with their free return policy there is little risk in trying it.

Phoenix

We are also about to try out the 10" Tuft & Needle. Went to a local mattress shop and we liked the memory foam ones the best, but we were concerned about off-gassing, so we are going to give the Tuft & Needle a go because of their Certapur certification.

The thing to keep in mind Lizabeth is that the T&N 10" is very different from a memory foam mattress. Make sure you understand that the characteristic soft and sinking feel of memory foam will not be what you experience with T&N. I love our T&N, but it is a firm mattress that keeps your body on top of the mattress as opposed to the sinking feeling you get with memory foam.

When I first laid on it I thought it was way, way too firm even though I knew it would be and that is what I wanted. It’s a totally different feel and one that might take a few days or weeks to adjust to. Once adjusted, however, I really love it. The support is amazing and even though it feels firm pressure points do not build up, at least for me.

So, just and FYI. T&N feels a whole lot different than memory foam mattresses.

Hi Lizabeth,

I would “echo” dwzemens’ comments about the Tuft & Needle. While they may be a great “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … they aren’t a memory foam mattress and don’t contain any memory foam.

The Tuft & Needle would be a good quality/value choice but the top 3" comfort layer is a high performance 2.8 lb polyfoam that would be very different from memory foam and is in a different category completely. There is more about the Tuft & Needle in posts #2 and #6 here.

While the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience … one of the attractions of the “one choice fits all” style of mattresses is that they simplify the buying and decision making process which can be very attractive to some people and may be one of the most important parts of their “personal value equation”. With any retailer or manufacturer that only offers a single mattress though you will find that they will be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet, and for those that it isn’t a “good enough” match … they also have a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

Having said all that … and assuming that you decide to pull the trigger on your purchase … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to add your comments and feedback to the forum when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Everyone,
I’m planning to buy the Tuft & Needle soon. Everything that is posted here…I don’t see what I have to lose.

Initially I was leaning towards a Sleep Number bed, but have heard horror stories about returns, craftsmanship, and noise. My wife and I were interested in the Sleep number because she is petite about 120 (back sleeper), and I am 245 (side sleeper)…two very different needs.

If anyone has any last minute advice, please let me know. We’ve been in need of a mattress for a while, but nervous about buying not wanting to have buyers regret!