The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi Lizabeth,

I would “echo” dwzemens’ comments about the Tuft & Needle. While they may be a great “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) … they aren’t a memory foam mattress and don’t contain any memory foam.

The Tuft & Needle would be a good quality/value choice but the top 3" comfort layer is a high performance 2.8 lb polyfoam that would be very different from memory foam and is in a different category completely. There is more about the Tuft & Needle in posts #2 and #6 here.

While the only way to know for certain whether any mattress will be a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience … one of the attractions of the “one choice fits all” style of mattresses is that they simplify the buying and decision making process which can be very attractive to some people and may be one of the most important parts of their “personal value equation”. With any retailer or manufacturer that only offers a single mattress though you will find that they will be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet, and for those that it isn’t a “good enough” match … they also have a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

Having said all that … and assuming that you decide to pull the trigger on your purchase … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I hope you have the chance to add your comments and feedback to the forum when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Hi Everyone,
I’m planning to buy the Tuft & Needle soon. Everything that is posted here…I don’t see what I have to lose.

Initially I was leaning towards a Sleep Number bed, but have heard horror stories about returns, craftsmanship, and noise. My wife and I were interested in the Sleep number because she is petite about 120 (back sleeper), and I am 245 (side sleeper)…two very different needs.

If anyone has any last minute advice, please let me know. We’ve been in need of a mattress for a while, but nervous about buying not wanting to have buyers regret!

Hi darketch,

The Tuft & Needle is certainly a good quality/value choice but unless you have any specific questions then the mattress shopping tutorial includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines and “advice” that can help you make the best possible choice based on all the parts of your “personal value equation” that are most important to you.

The only way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience but if for some reason it doesn’t turn out to be as good a “match” as you hoped for then there is little risk in trying it because of their great return policy.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding once you pull the trigger.

Phoenix

Understood. Thanks for the solid input. I will be sure to post my results to the community here. Thanks again!

darketch, I’m looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on the Tuft and Needle mattress. I am strongly considering buying one after reading the information on this site. I almost pulled the trigger on a serta iseries vantage firm mattress but I decided against it after hearing some of the negative things regarding the big name brand mattresses. After doing some more reading on this site, I am strongly considering the Tuft mattress. I feel like it is a very low risk purchase in that if I don’t like it I can return it.

Hi Jmeade01,

It’s probably a good thing that you passed this by since it uses some lower quality/density and less durable materials that would increase the risk of premature foam softening and breakdown (see post #2 here).

There are dozens of other people who have already shared their experiences with the Tuft & Needle mattress earlier in this topic and a forum search on Tuft Needle (you can just click the link) will bring up many more comments and feedback about it as well so you won’t have to wait for any particular person’s comments and feedback.

Having said that … I would be very cautious about using other people’s reviews or experiences on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how suitable a mattress may be for you or the durability of a mattress and in many cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on or vice versa (see post #13 here).

The only way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) is based on your own personal experience but their free return policy certainly provides a very low risk way to try it at home to see what it feels like for you regardless of how it may feel for anyone else.

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding.

Phoenix

Any recommendations for pillows that go with Tuft & Needle Mattresses?

Hi flexfit,

A pillow is a personal choice that has more to do with your own specific pillow “needs” and “preferences” than it does with the mattress you are sleeping on (although the firmness/softness of a mattress can certainly affect your choice of which pillow works best for a specific person as well).

For example side sleepers typically need a thicker pillow than the other sleeping positions because the distance between the head and neck and the mattress is greater and a thicker pillow is often needed to hold your head up higher and keep your head and neck in better alignment and reduce the pressure on your shoulders. Different mattresses can also need different pillows to keep your head and neck in good alignment as well because if you have a softer mattress then you will sink in more deeply and reduce the distance between your head/neck and the mattress surface that needs to be “filled in”.

There is more information about choosing a pillow for different body types, sleeping positions, and personal preferences and some links to other pillow topics on the forum in the main pillow topic here that should be helpful.

Phoenix

Looks like T&N have updated their trial period to match Casper’s now. As someone who is seriously considering their 10" model, I find this to be cool news – though I do have to wonder how this will affect the deal that they give to members of this site.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: tuftandneedle.com/extended-sleep-trial

Hi drm870,

With the longer trial period of 100 days the extended trial period for the members here is no longer necessary (and I’ve removed it in their directory listing) but the discount for the members of the site isn’t affected.

Phoenix

hi phoenix,

just wanted to thank you for the site and all the great feedback from the members. preparing to purchase the 10in tuft and needle and can’t wait to try it out!

Hi BenjLi,

I’m glad you found us … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I wanted to report back that I ended up buying the Tuft & Needle 10 in. in Queen size. I have slept on it 5 nights now and I am really liking it. The first night I was afraid it might be a bit too firm but it seems to be breaking in/softening up a little bit…that or my body is getting used to it. I typically lean towards mattresses that are firm and this one definitely fits that bill. My previous mattress is an Original Mattress Factory - Orthopedic Extra Firm. It was ~10 years old and I figured it was time for a new bed. I am hoping that the Tuft and Needle works out long term.

Hi Jmeade01,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It will break in and soften up a little over the course of the first few weeks or so and you will also go through an adjustment period with any new sleeping surface over the same period of time but it sounds like the firmness level was a good “match” for you.

Phoenix

Went full circle with my decision and am placing an order for the T&N today. They do still honor the discount, which is pretty awesome as it’s the only one they offer that I am aware of. Fingers crossed I like it. Reviews here and an Amazon pushed me back to this one when I had started leaning towards the Leesa. I like the looks of the Yogabed, but I’m leery of it being so new.

Hi jeff56528,

I think you made a good choice and with the Tuft & Needle you also won’t have the worry of a mattress that uses 2" of lower quality/density 3 lb memory foam that could be a weak link in the Leesa mattress.

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

I hope it’s a good “match” for you as well and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I’m a side and back sleeper. For anyone that owns a T&N, how does it work/feel for side sleepers? I have a Casper but I’m having issues with both of my hands going to sleep every night, when I’m lying on either my side and my back. This has never happened before, and my guess is that there is some sort of pressure that’s causing this. I’ve heard that the T&N is “firmer” than the Casper, but I know that firmness is relative. Has anyone who has a T&N experienced pressure issues? Thanks!

Hi FireFox,

While you’re right that firmness is very subjective and one person’s “too firm” can be someone else’s "too soft … based on feedback I would say that most people would consider the Tuft & Needle to be a little bit firmer overall than the Casper but they also use different types of foams that have a different response curve and will respond to weight differently so there could be some people whose perceptions would be the other way around.

Having said that … it’s unusual that both hands would be falling asleep and back sleepers don’t normally have pressure issues nearly as much as side sleepers so your experience may be pointing to something other than pressure issues from the mattress and it’s possible that it could be a postural issue as well.

Where do you normally have your hands when you are side sleeping or when you are sleeping on your back? Are you by any chance sleeping with your hands under your pillow or under your body?

Phoenix

Phoenix,
Thanks for your reply. When I sleep on my side, my arms are at my sides, bent at the elbow, with my hands under my chin. When I sleep on my back, my arms are at my sides, bent at the elbow with my hands lying on my stomach near my belly button. Never under my pillow. I also sleep on a contoured memory foam pillow. Am still interested in the idea that the T&N might offer pressure relief. Thoughts

(It’s strange that I never had this issue with my previous, old, POS, inner-spring mattress.)

Hi FireFox,

You may have described the most likely cause here.

It may be worthy trying a different pillow because the gap between your head and the pillow may have changed with a different mattress so your memory foam pillow may no longer suitable to keep your head and neck in good alignment and in combination with the pressure of your chin on your hands is impairing circulation.

Some of the suggestions in posts #2 and #3 here may also be helpful.

The only reliable way to know is to try it because there are too many unknowns and variables involved to predict whether any mattress will work for you with any certainty and other people’'s experience on a mattress may be very different from your own. Either it will work and of course you would be happy or it doesn’t and like the Casper it also has a great return policy so there would be little risk in trying it outside of the time and effort involved in testing it out and returning or donating it and starting over again … but I would experiment with your pillow first because if I had to guess either your pillow and/or your posture is the most likely cause.

Phoenix