The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

We received our queen T&N mattress 2 days ago and it has been airing out in our spare bedroom. This bed will be for guests and for one of us if we are sick and don’t want to keep our spouse up all night with our coughing, etc. We’ll try it out and report back once we get some bedding for it.
The smell was minimal when the mattress was opened and after a couple of days with the bedroom window open I don’t notice much residual smell. :slight_smile:

Hi Seri,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback as well once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

I think im going to jump on this as its on sale right now for $359. Any more updates from those who have it?

Hi johnms88,

Just for reference and for the sake of others who read this … the 10% discount for mattresses ordered from the Dreamfoam site is an ongoing discount.

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice and it’s very rare to find such high quality materials or the kind of options you would have to adjust the comfort and support of a mattress in this budget range.

Phoenix

Just received our queen mattress yesterday, wife already loves it! It’s a bit firmer than I like but hopefully it breaks in well for me.

Hi Gazel,

Congratulations on your new mattress … and thanks for the update :slight_smile:

As you know there will certainly be a break in and adjustment period for any new mattress as the foams lose any of their “false firmness” and the cover loses any of its initial stiffness and your body gets used to a new sleeping surface that is different from what you were sleeping on (see post #3 here). There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well.

I’m looking forward to any updates you have the chance to share once you have had the chance to sleep on it for a few weeks.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix,

It is because of your site and this forum that we took a serious look and purchased the T&N.

While I am still adjusting to the king, the feedback on this forum and your reviews helped me step outside the retail store ‘box.’

Jim

Hi jchandlo,

I’m glad the forum could help you … and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about your Tuft & Needle once it’s had a chance to break in a little more and you’ve had the chance to adjust to a new sleeping surface that is different from what you were used to (see post #3 here).

Phoenix

My wife and I recently purchase a king sized mattress from Tuft & Needle. I have had very positive experiences with employees who contacted me throughout the order fulfillment process. We have been sleeping on the mattress for nearly 2 weeks now, and so far I believe it is meeting our expectations in posture alignment and pressure relief. I will have to wait and see in regards to the preference aspect (as 2 weeks is not a long enough for me to determine my preference for a product of this type).

Hi zannett,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback as well … I appreciate it!

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks to all of the insight here, I’ve decided to order a 10’ T&N :slight_smile:

I need to wait until I can actually start moving into my new apartment to measure and see whether a Queen or a Full bed would fit better in my bedroom, but having it shipped in a medium-sized box takes the worry out of fitting the mattress through a 1924 narrow entryway and bedroom doorway! :silly:

I’ll post a review in a few weeks, once I’ve ordered the mattress, plopped it on the floor (or maybe I’ll have a frame by then!), and gotten a few nights of (hopefully great) sleep in. B)

Hi sleepymolar,

Congratulatioins on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve moved in to your new apartment and have had a chance to sleep on it.

Phoenix

6+ month report on 10" Tuft and Needle:

We bought the “new” version of the 10" Tuft and Needle, it got here in December 2014.

Been over 6 months. I can report that I still love the support, yet pressure relief that it gives me. No sagging as of yet. Still feels and looks new.

My only one issue with this mattress: we live in a cool area and don’t have air conditioning. And I’ve found since the start of summer weather about a month ago here, the mattress is bothering me almost every night because it is holding heat like I’ve experienced on memory foam. I’ve tried my all cotton sheets, and the cotton/bamboo sheets, and the retained heat still wakes me up at night- I feel like I’m lying on a heating pad when I wake up… I’m sleeping either with just a top sheet or no covers at all, and a lightweight nightgown…

I did not have this experience at all during the winter or spring. We had all cotton flannel sheets on the bed then…

Has anyone else felt that the T&N retains heat, and is there a solution for this? We will be moving next year to a warmer climate are,! If I had felt this nightly heat the first 60 days, I probably would have returned it, seriously, I’ve been waking up 3 or more times a night uncomfortable, but since I slept comfortably on it for 5+ months after many years of uncomfortable mattresses, I don’t mind enduring the retaining heat feeling for a couple of months of summer, but worry about what will happen in a warmer climate!. Hopefully when we move we will have air conditioning though :slight_smile:

Hi sheep123,

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your bedding and bedclothes, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here that may be helpful.

What type of mattress protector are you using?

Phoenix

Actually, I made my own mattress protector using thin flannel material, although I’ve tried with and without the layer and still feel the heat. In the cooler months I don’t feel any heat retained in the mattress. I’ve tried 4 different mattress protectors on the TN, including the most popular waterproof membrane ones (one bamboo, the other cotton). All made the mattress too firm for me. I have fibromyalgia and seem to get the most benefit of the foam of the mattress without anything, or just that thin flannel material. It was actually TN who recommended for my particular needs, to forgo the use of a protector. On our old mattress, we had a 1" 19 ILD latex topper, which I tried on the TN. Weirdly, on the old mattress, it made the mattress softer, on the TN, it made things feel too firm. It is very strange how just a thin thin mattress protector or “soft” latex topper can change the feel of the TN for me so much. I love the TN, haven’t been this comfortable on a mattress in almost 20 years, but it’s just the recent heat issue that is bothersome. The heat seems to correlate with the temperature in the room, if it’s cool enough, I feel no heat retained, even with the same sheets…

Hi sheep123,

Natural fibers such as wool and cotton are generally more temperature regulating than sleeping more directly any foam material no matter how breathable or temperature regulating the foam may be for most people but with your fibromyalgia the tradeoffs of adding a different mattress protector or a topper to regulate temperate would be that it seems to have too big an effect on the feel and pressure relief of your mattress and since you are already using cotton or cotton/bamboo sheets the only solution would probably be to change the temperature or humidity of your bedroom or to add a fan beside your bed…

One other possibility that may be worth considering may be flax linen sheets which are probably the most temperature regulating sheets of all the natural fibers (although silk is also very good) and they are also very durable. While they can be somewhat “stiff” at first … they soften up beautifully over time with washing. They can also be somewhat costly.

Phoenix

I’m close to deciding on a Tuft & Needle to replace our current mattress that is going to a guest room. For people who ordered recently, how long did it take from purchase to delivery?

Hi justanotherstory,

While I don’t have any personal experience with delivery times … this is from their FAQ/Support page and may be helpful.

How long does it take to get my mattress?

It varies depending on our volume and your location. In most cases, you can expect delivery in about 3-4 business days or less.

Shoot us an email or give us a call for a better estimate of delivery to your specific location.

What is the transit time to my location?

We ship FedEx Ground from our facilities in Southern California and Massachusetts. Typically, you can expect delivery in 3-4 business days. Here are some average transit times, in business days, to our most popular cities:

Los Angeles - 1 day
New York - 1 day
Boston - 1 day
San Francisco - 2 days
Chicago - 2 days
Indianapolis - 2 days
Columbus - 2 days
Philadelphia - 2 days
Seattle - 3 days
Denver - 3 days
Dallas - 3 days
Austin - 3 days
Atlanta - 4 days
Orlando - 4 days

Shoot us an email or give us a call for a better estimate of delivery to your specific location.

Phoenix

We bought a Tuft & Needle queen mattress about a month ago for our guest room. Last night our daughter and son in law used it for the first time and both said it was very comfortable. :slight_smile:

Hello Everyone,

I’m new to the forum. I am thinking about getting a king tuft and needle diary after reading reviews here. Almost bought a sleep innovations king matresss. Just wanna ask, does tuft and needle still honor our discount? Thanks