The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

[quote=“Phoenix” post=35121]Hi maskedrose,

I would rotate any mattress (or flip and rotate a two sided mattress) because it certainly can’t do any harm and it can help the mattress soften and wear more evenly which can extend it’s useful life (see post #2 here).

Phoenix[/quote]

I think I’ll just move my pillow from the head of the bed to the foot of the bed every week for the next few months. This thing is too big and heavy to rotate, haha.

My 10inch arrived today… My inital thoughts thus far… I would have spent and extra 10-15 dollars for a box with handles!

I think I will like the mattress. During my pre-pre-teen years my parents bought the family waterbeds… which I never found all that comfortable. By my fresmen year in HS I resorted to sleeping on the floor (my own choosing and yes my parents though i was nuts)… after college I move to an air mattress which was never firm enough… and from that I moved to my the traditional coil mattress that I’m now retiring. We will see…

Hi mitchejj,

Thanks for the update … and I’m looking forward to hearing about your experience when you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve had mine for a few nights now and I can honestly say I look forward to sleeping every night for the first time ever. It just feels… good when I lay down, if a $300 mattress feels this good I can’t imagine what a more expensive model would feel like. Provided it lasts awhile, or even if it barely makes the 5 year warranty, it’s still an amazing deal. As of now I’d gladly buy another one once I get my own place.

Update from my experience.

We bought this topper from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Double-Removable-Mattress-Pillow-Fitted/dp/B00FX0QMLI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397171121&sr=8-3&keywords=mattress+pad

It was the double thick (supposed to be 2.5inches) and is very well reviewed. It is a very nice topper, but unfortunately still didn’t soften the bed up enough for me. Two nights with it and I am still waking up with a sore back. It took 7 days to arrive so for those 7 days we slept on our old mattress which seems blissful now. Sigh.

I really, desperately want to keep the mattress. I like the company, like their principles, customer service, etc. I like that I can get up easily from the mattress and there is no “sink in” like we have with our other mattress… but the sore back is starting to wear on me. I know our ancestors didn’t have these fluffy beds… is this something I would eventually just get used to? I haven’t ever heard someone saying "having back problems? get a softer mattress! It is usually get a firmer mattress.

Think this is just breaking in / body adjusting? Just looking for some last minute advice before I do an RMA and start this whole process again.

Hi Timmdogg,

A fiber topper or mattress pad (see post #10 here) can add a little bit of additional cushioning under your pressure points but they are not as resilient as a foam topper and don’t redistribute weight along the sleeping surface of your body as well as foam. They are more for “feel” than overall pressure relief.

If you are looking for pressure relief more than “feel” (which it appears you are) then a foam topper would probably be a better choice. There are some topper guidelines here that may be helpful.

A mattress that is too firm for your specific needs and preferences is just as likely to cause discomfort, pain, or alignment issues as a mattress that is too firm (see post #2 here). The goal is always to find a mattress that is “right” for you in terms of PPP. Our ancestors had very different lifestyles than we did and there are many people who would suggest a softer mattress with certain types of back issues. The “old days” of suggesting firmer mattresses for all back issues are long over as it was understood that contouring support that keeps the spine in alignment is much more important than firmer support. It’s also important to remember that primary support/alignment comes from the deeper layers of the mattress and each person also needs suitable comfort layers that can relieve pressure in all their sleeping positions.

There is more in post #2 here about mattresses that are too firm but the normal break in period of a mattress is usually in the range of 30 - 90 days (sometimes sooner and rarely longer). If after a month or so or even a little sooner it’s clear to you that things aren’t improving (or are getting worse) then it’s quite likely that the mattress isn’t suitable or at least not ideal for you.

Phoenix

Just a personal thought here… based on my history with lower back pain as of late… lower back pain, to me, is often a leading indicator or poor core strength… everytime I start to develope lower back pain double down on my core strength training and I start to feel better.

Hi all!

Thank you for starting this thread, it has been extremely helpful. I am looking at purchasing the 10inch, and was wondering how you would compare this mattress to other foam mattresses.

I tried out an icomfort, I believe, at a mattress store, and wasn’t a fan.

Thanks!

Hi mitchejj,

That’s good advice and while a mattress can certainly play a role in back pain … physical conditioning and flexibility is also a big part of back pain or how well someone sleeps. Post #1 here has some good advice from one of the members here that reflects some similar thoughts to your own.

Phoenix

Hi jazz,

That would depend on the type of foam you meant (polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam) and on the specifics of the mattress you were comparing. There are thousands of “foam” mattresses that have different types of foam and designs that would all be different from each other.

The iComfort mattresses are memory foam mattresses (which generally have various layers of memory foam over a polyfoam support core although some of them have other materials in the mix) so they are really an apples to oranges comparison with an all polyfoam mattress like the Tuft & Needle although like other major brand mattresses I don’t consider the iComfort mattresses to be particulary good quality or value choices for most people (see the guidelines here).

Polyfoam is a lower cost material than specialty foams like memory foam and latex but there is also a range of grades and densities that determine the quality, performance, durability, and cost of polyfoam. They use @2 lb polyfoam which is a good quality and durable polyfoam but it will be very different from a memory foam or latex mattress both in terms of cost, performance, and “feel” (which is very subjective) and it will also be different from other polyfoam mattresses that use different types of polyfoam or have a different design and layering.

It’s certainly carefully designed and could be a good quality/value choice for those that are in a lower budget range that doesn’t allow for more specialty foam materials or components and would be a good option for those that would prefer a firmer “all polyfoam” mattress as long as it’s likely to be a good match for their specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and Personal preferences) and the other parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

Phoenix

Very informative thread as I decide to pull the trigger on a 10 inch queen purchase. Thanks for everyone’s contribution thus far.

As a general FYI, customer service told me today that current wait times on the 10 inch queen mattress is about 2 weeks production / preparation and 2-3 days shipping (West Coast) and about a week for East Coast shipping.

Hi sleepy-tristate,

Thanks for the update about shipping times and for letting us know what you ended up deciding.

You certainly made a great quality/value choice in your budget range and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Most importantly … congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thank you for the thorough response Phoenix! I went ahead and pulled the trigger earlier this morning on a 10 inch king. I already received an email stating they started the production process. I will definitely post my review of the mattress once I receive it.

Hi jazz,

I’m glad the thread was helpful … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I wish that were the case for my lower back pain. I train in martial arts 7 days a week so I doubt my core is weak. I notice on days when I don’t train as hard (or take the day off), I wake up with light back pain on this mattress.

For instance, I trained everyday this week pretty hard except Wedneday… I woke up with backpain that day. No pain Friday morning, today a little bit of back pain and some discomfort in my previously injured shoulder(rotator cuff problems from too many push ups).

My boyfriend thinks this is the best bed ever. He also weighs 50 lbs or so more than I do. He also has superior posture, whereas I tend to slouch when I sit at my desk and sometimes I slouch when I am walking (so bad, I know). I am sure if I didn’t slouch(I try to pay attention to it since he mentioned it) this bed wouldn’t give me any discomfort at all. I am thinking maybe a topper, depending on if I still occasionally experience back pain after the 30 days. I don’t really think I am uncomfortable enough to return the mattress. I have slept through most nights since getting my 10(as mentioned in an earlier post, I usually wake up 3 times a night) and it’s a Saturday MORNING and I am awake on my own without an alarm.

I am very glad that people have been willing to share their experiences with this mattress. I’m pretty close to putting in an order. My biggest concern is the potential for body impressions since I’m a heavy guy (240). I’m not too concerned about the firmness as I like a firm mattress. If it is too firm, I can always add a topper.

My thought about back pain I realize is a a bit of generalization… and a good nights sleep vs some discomfort isn’t something one can easily ignore. I wish I can say I’ve slept through the night every night I’ve slept on my 10… but I can’t… and I can’t blame the mattress either my cat for some unkown reason has been seeing fit to awake me 3-4 hour after I go to bed.

From what I can tell I don’t think that should be much of an issue… It seems I leave as much of an impression (just under 190) as my my 8 pound cat.

Hi maskedrose,

I think you are wise to wait a few weeks or so to give your body time to adjust to a new sleeping surface, especially since you have a tendency to slouch which the mattress may be helping you “correct” which can cause some discomfort at first. If you are still having some discomfort or pain after the initial break in and adjustment period then a topper can be a good idea if you need a little extra softness, pressure relief, and contouring for your mattress. There are some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to which may be helpful if you decide to go in that direction.

I know from your previous comments as well that you are aware of this but your pillow can also make a significant difference in both pressure relief and in alignment when you change to a firmer sleeping surface because the distance between your head or neck and the mattress will be different.

Thanks for your ongoing feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi SleepNYC,

While all soft foam materials will soften and impress to some degree over time … higher quality/density materials will do so less and over a longer period of time than lower quality/density materials. The polyfoam layers in the Tuft & Needle mattress are @ 2 lb density which is a good quality and durable grade of polyfoam and would generally be suitable for your weight. You can read more about the quality specs of different types of foam in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I placed my order today for the 10 inch mattress. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences and knowledge!