The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Does anyone have any thoughts about the durability of the T&N 10 mattress and whether it will last 10+ years? Do foam mattresses in general last as long as coil? What is the average life of a foam mattress for comparison?

What about some of the comments regarding the edges on a T&N 10 king collapsing compared to the edges on a coil mattress. Do others see this as an issue?
Keith

Hi kawkaw2,

There is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability that counts) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person but if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (which is unlikely with the Tuft & Needle) and meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with materials that are higher quality and more durable than the minimum guidelines (in the top comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer.

There is also more detailed information about all the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to but since the Tuft & Needle meets all the minimum guidelines and there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the design … as long as you aren’t in an unusually heavy weight range (mid 200’s or higher) then it would be very reasonable to expect that it would maintain it’s comfort and support for most people for 7 - 10 years and in some cases longer.

There is more information about edge support with foam mattresses in post #33 here but it certainly wouldn’t be an issue for most people unless you often sleep or sit with most of your weight concentrated on the very outside edge of the mattress although the outside edges of a foam mattress would generally be softer than an innerspring mattress that has a specific edge support system.

The only way to know for certain whether the edges of the mattress will be suitable for your specific body type and sleeping style will be to actually sleep on it just in case you are one of the few (generally in higher weight ranges) that needs or prefers a firmer edge but they also have a great return policy so if for some reason you aren’t happy with the edges of your mattress (either for sitting or sleeping) or for any other reason then there is no cost involved in returning it.

Phoenix

Great thread! I’ve been looking for a mattress for my new bedroom and have decided to order the T&N full size mattress since it fits my budget and the reviews seem great.

Any recommendation for mattress protector for this mattress?

Hi nichehole,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

There is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here that should be helpful. The most common choice would probably be one of the “thin membrane” types of protectors because they are mostly waterproof and have little effect on the feel and contouring of the mattress.

Phoenix

Hi Calpyro,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update on your mattress … I appreciate it.

[quote]We went shopping for a mattress topper and we both tried several at a couple of local mattress shops. Again I liked the memory foam toppers, but they were too soft for my wife.
We settled on the 3" Organic Pure Latex Bliss mattress topper. Combined with the firmness of the T&N mattress, it is soft enough for me and still provides enough support for my wife. [/quote]

It’s good to see that your topper is working out well for both of you. Just for clarification and for the sake of others that read your post … there isn’t any organic Talalay latex so your topper would either be blended Talalay or 100% natural Talalay (that doesn’t contain any synthetic latex) which are both good quality and “safe” materials even though they aren’t organic.

Phoenix

Thank you all for your inputs, this thread has everything I ever wanted to know to make the plunge, and then some more :slight_smile:
Makes it so easy for newcomers like me.

Hi darshin,

I’m happy to hear that the site could help you … and congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received your mattress and had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

We just got our T&N King and it seems to sleep warm. We have a older style mattress cover on it. Can this cause it to be hot? What suggestions to get it to sleep cooler. It is on a box spring foundation. Cotton sheets right now.

Hello
I have been using this mattress for the past 8 days now…I sleep mostly on my back and sides…The first few days I had to get the lowest thickness pillow to get over upper back pain…I still feel the muscles sore but it is getting better( I think)
Now that i am getting used to the bed,on the days I sleep on my back for the longest time…I get sciatic nerve pain shooting down my leg…
I am 158 pounds,sleep for atleast 7 hours and exercise at the gym daily…so fairly healthy…
Has anyone felt the same pain?
Is this something to do with the pillow?Should I try a thicker pillow(need to buy one)?
Cheers
B)

Hi kawkaw2,

If you have one of the older waterproof vinyl mattress protectors that don’t allow any airflow through the protector then they can certainly cause heat issues yes.

If this is the case then I would probably replace the protector. There is more about the different types of mattress protectors and the pros and cons of each of them in post #89 here.

There is also more about the many variables that can affect sleeping temperature in post #2 here.

Phoenix

Hi Vidya46,

It can take a few weeks in some cases for a new mattress to break in or for some people to adjust to a sleeping surface that is different from what their body is used to sleeping on (see post #3 here).

There is more about some of the different “symptoms” that people may experience on a mattress and some of the most common (although not the only) causes for them in post #2 here. Different people may have similar “symptoms” for different reasons. It’s not likely that your pillow is the cause of your symptoms.

While it’s not possible to “diagnose” the reason for any specific symptoms for any specific person except through some trial and error … it would probably be worthwhile trying a pillow under your knees when you are are sleeping on your back or a pillow in between your knees when you are sleeping on your side to see if it helps.

If the mattress is too firm for you then some of the suggestions in post #2 here may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Hi Calpyro,

I’m guessing that you mean the latex topper you mentioned here (I don’t know of any “vinyl” toppers).

Phoenix

It seems counterproductive to purchase a “new” mattress that needs fixed by a topper.
Aren’t toppers usually used to make an “old” worn mattress feel different?

Why not find and buy what’s right? Close enough isn’t good enough when it comes to proper sleep posture. Just my opinion.

Hi PapaMike,

Adding a topper to a mattress that is still in good condition can be a great way to “fine tune” a mattress and add some additional softness and pressure relief or change the feel of a mattress. While choosing a topper can be somewhat uncertain (just like choosing a mattress) because finding the “right” mattress/topper combination can sometimes take some trial and error … once you have a mattress topper combination that is a good “match” in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) then it can certainly make a great sleeping system. A topper isn’t much different from a pillowtop mattress except with a pillow top the topper is sewn to the mattress. It would also be fairly similar to having a mattress that used the same additional layer inside the mattress cover instead of adding it on top of the mattress although buying a separate topper and mattress will usually be more costly than buying a mattress that has the same combination of materials inside the mattress already.

A mattress or sleeping system will tend to soften and break down from the top layers down so having a separate topper also allows you to replace just the layer that is most likely to break down first or if your needs and preferences change over time.rather than having to replace the entire mattress. Because a topper will absorb some of the compression forces that come from sleeping on a mattress (which is the main reason why materials compress, soften or break down) it can also extend the useful life of the mattress underneath it as well to some degree.

A topper isn’t generally a good way to “fix” a mattress that is either too soft or that has started to develop soft spots or visible or virtual impressions because it will just “follow” any soft spots or impressions in the mattress. In most cases the best way to "fix’ a mattress that has materials and components that have started to soften, break down, or wear out is to remove and replace them (or replace the mattress) and not to add a topper on top of them.

They certainly aren’t “counterproductive” and like every different type and component in a sleeping system or different types of designs they each have their own advantages and disadvantages.

Phoenix

Hello All,

New to the forum here but after much research (between this site and a few others) I believe I am going to pull the trigger on the T&N 10. I have always slept on inner springs growing up and at the moment, given a recent separation from my SO, anything would be an upgrade from an air mattress :blush:

I would like to provide feedback when I have received my new mattress whether good or bad but I do realize how fortunate the return policy and 100 day trial is to making what I consider a critical decision.

Thanks to all who have provided insight and objective commentary which has made my search much more simple.

Hi amc182,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you probably know I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Same here. Moving house soon and need a new mattress. Thanks everyone for the info. Finally settled on the T&N after strongly considering Brooklyn Bedding & Leesa. Cheers B)