The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Just adding my two cents since I used this forum a ton when shopping for a mattress, but I love my Tuft and Needle!

I purchased it with the thought that I’d try it, be slightly disappointed, then I’d upgrade to a Casper once my trial ran out. But, I’ve had no reason to return this one and I’m very happy with it!

I had been sleeping on an old IKEA mattress that served it’s purpose, but needed to be replaced about 4 years ago. I’m sure any mattress would have made me happy, but I’m quite happy with the T&N and recommend it a ton.

I sleep ‘hot’ and one of my concerts about this mattress was if it would retain the heat. That hasn’t been an issue at all.

Hi kirbypuckett,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback on the forum … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s great to hear that your Tuft & Needle worked out so well for you.

Phoenix

Hey all,
My wife and I have slept in our new t&n 10 for 2 nights. The first night we both complained of back pain in the morning. The second morning I had no pain but my wife’s got worse. I’m the one with back pain issues and my wife has never complained about sleeping anywhere. I’m not sure how many more nights she can bear to be a zombie during the day because of the bad sleeping. How long is the break in period for most?
Also want to mention that this bed sleeps as hot as any other bed which is disappointing to me.

Hi sdmat,

There is more about the break in and adjustment period in post #3 here. It can vary from person to person but it would normally be about a month or less (sometimes much less if the mattress is similar to what you are used to sleeping on). There are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may also be helpful.

While it’s not always possible to to track down temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

Phoenix

new this forum, try to make a decision between Tuft & Needle and the novaform from costco, Does anyone had experience on both mattress.

Hi wobbunny,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

I switched your post to a new topic so that other members could see the mattresses you were comparing in the title of the topic.

The Tuft & Needle and the Novaform are very different mattresses because the Tuft & Needle uses high performance polyfoam in the comfort layer which is a more resilient (bouncy) material while the Novaform is a memory foam mattress that is much less resilient.

I would also keep in mind that the first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress depends on knowing the specifics of its construction and the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label (or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new).

In terms of durability … you can see some comments about the Tuft & Needle mattress in post #2 here of the simplified choice mattress topic but as long as you aren’t in an unusually high weight range there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that would be any cause for concern in terms of durability.

I’m not sure which of the Novaform mattresses you are looking at but I would avoid most if not all of the Novaform mattresses because they tend to use lower quality/density materials along with any mattress that uses more than “about an inch or so” of lower quality and less durable materials or where you aren’t able to find out the quality/density of the memory foam or polyfoam in the mattress (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines it links to). 3 lb memory foam in the top layer of a mattress to be a “weak link” in the design in terms of durability and it would be a very risky purchase (see posts #1 and #2 here for example).

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be helpful … I would be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness as well and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Phoenix

gonna give it a try.

Hi cwinters,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I bought a T&N mattress after researching for a while and reading a couple of the threads on this forum. It arrived yesterday and while I was initially impressed (how firm it felt sitting on it and lounging) I had a horrible night of tossing and turning and woke up in terrible pain. I had been sleeping on a Brentwood 10 HD Memory Foam mattress for a little over a year. I loved it when I first got it and it kept getting softer and softer to the point that it just wasn’t comfortable anymore, hence my desire for a new mattress. I am not giving up, I’ll see how things go tonight and if I can stand it a few more nights. I am hoping that the mattress and I adjust to each other. I was just shocked at how badly last night went.

Hi Roadchild,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice but as you probably know all new mattresses will have a break in and adjustment period over the course of the first few weeks although for some people it can be much shorter and for others is can be longer. There is more about the break in and adjustment period in post #3 here and there are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well. They have a 100 night trial period which is plenty of time to decide whether the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) but at a bare minimum I would give any new mattress at least two weeks (and hopefully longer) before deciding whether you need to make any “fine tuning” changes or return the mattress.

Phoenix

It’s been a few months since we received our T&N bed and guess what? WE LOVE IT. For as long as T&N is in business, if we need a mattress, we are going to buy from T&N. It’s a such a comfort every night to lay on our bed at the end of a long day, and to sleep through the night most nights (unless there’s a bad dream or something) and without any pain issues. Husband and I both feel well-rested (assuming that we’ve actually put in the right amount of time into our sleep).

Every time we hear someone’s looking for a new bed, we tell them about our T&N mattress. I’m so glad my initial concern that maybe we were settling with T&N because they are the only ones who ship to Hawaii were completely unfounded. By the way, it didn’t take an unusually long for it to arrive. I think it took about a week.

So a heartfelt MAHALO to everyone at TMU, for all your input on this thread!

**EDIT: There was a little bit of a scent to the mattress when we first got it, but it dissipated fairly quickly - maybe a week, at most?

Hi devlynaskurt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it!

It’s great to hear that your mattress choice turned out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I bought a king T&N mattress. My wife and I absolutely love it. Just right firmness for us.
We’re using a plain mattress cover for now. Any recommendation for a mattress protector? I would love to have a waterproof one but I wonder if it’s not good for airflow? The mattress is on a slated bed frame. Thanks!

Hi inflames,

Thanks for the feedback on your Tuft & Needle mattress and it’s great to see that your choice worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

While I don’t have any specific recommendations because different people have different criteria that are important to them with a mattress protector … there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Phoenix

I really appreciate everyone’s information. I’m very interested in this mattress but am on the fence about going for it.

Hi ahallum,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am looking to get one soon. Most likely next week or so! All of the positive reviews excite me!

Hi zmeister,

While other people’s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful (and they certainly have great service) … I would avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or “so called” review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

If I was in your shoes I would be much more “excited” that they have a great trial period and return/refund policy that gives you the chance to try it out and find out how well you will sleep on it without any risk and that they use good quality and durable materials that don’t have any “weak links” that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress than I would about other people’s reviews on the mattress which would have little or nothing to do with how well you will sleep on the same mattress.

Once you’ve decided to pull the trigger … I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out and see how you like it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I pulled the trigger and ordered this mattress after reading this thread. Thanks for posting everyone B) !

Hi kakulukiya,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix