The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

I bought a T&N mattress after researching for a while and reading a couple of the threads on this forum. It arrived yesterday and while I was initially impressed (how firm it felt sitting on it and lounging) I had a horrible night of tossing and turning and woke up in terrible pain. I had been sleeping on a Brentwood 10 HD Memory Foam mattress for a little over a year. I loved it when I first got it and it kept getting softer and softer to the point that it just wasn’t comfortable anymore, hence my desire for a new mattress. I am not giving up, I’ll see how things go tonight and if I can stand it a few more nights. I am hoping that the mattress and I adjust to each other. I was just shocked at how badly last night went.

Hi Roadchild,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice but as you probably know all new mattresses will have a break in and adjustment period over the course of the first few weeks although for some people it can be much shorter and for others is can be longer. There is more about the break in and adjustment period in post #3 here and there are also some suggestions in post #2 here that may be helpful as well. They have a 100 night trial period which is plenty of time to decide whether the mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) but at a bare minimum I would give any new mattress at least two weeks (and hopefully longer) before deciding whether you need to make any “fine tuning” changes or return the mattress.

Phoenix

It’s been a few months since we received our T&N bed and guess what? WE LOVE IT. For as long as T&N is in business, if we need a mattress, we are going to buy from T&N. It’s a such a comfort every night to lay on our bed at the end of a long day, and to sleep through the night most nights (unless there’s a bad dream or something) and without any pain issues. Husband and I both feel well-rested (assuming that we’ve actually put in the right amount of time into our sleep).

Every time we hear someone’s looking for a new bed, we tell them about our T&N mattress. I’m so glad my initial concern that maybe we were settling with T&N because they are the only ones who ship to Hawaii were completely unfounded. By the way, it didn’t take an unusually long for it to arrive. I think it took about a week.

So a heartfelt MAHALO to everyone at TMU, for all your input on this thread!

**EDIT: There was a little bit of a scent to the mattress when we first got it, but it dissipated fairly quickly - maybe a week, at most?

Hi devlynaskurt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it!

It’s great to hear that your mattress choice turned out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I bought a king T&N mattress. My wife and I absolutely love it. Just right firmness for us.
We’re using a plain mattress cover for now. Any recommendation for a mattress protector? I would love to have a waterproof one but I wonder if it’s not good for airflow? The mattress is on a slated bed frame. Thanks!

Hi inflames,

Thanks for the feedback on your Tuft & Needle mattress and it’s great to see that your choice worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

While I don’t have any specific recommendations because different people have different criteria that are important to them with a mattress protector … there is more about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some examples of each of them in post #89 here.

Phoenix

I really appreciate everyone’s information. I’m very interested in this mattress but am on the fence about going for it.

Hi ahallum,

I’m looking forward to finding out what you end up deciding :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am looking to get one soon. Most likely next week or so! All of the positive reviews excite me!

Hi zmeister,

While other people’s comments or reviews about the knowledge, service, and guidance of a particular business can certainly be helpful (and they certainly have great service) … I would avoid using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) or “so called” review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (see post #13 here).

If I was in your shoes I would be much more “excited” that they have a great trial period and return/refund policy that gives you the chance to try it out and find out how well you will sleep on it without any risk and that they use good quality and durable materials that don’t have any “weak links” that could compromise the durability or useful life of the mattress than I would about other people’s reviews on the mattress which would have little or nothing to do with how well you will sleep on the same mattress.

Once you’ve decided to pull the trigger … I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out and see how you like it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I pulled the trigger and ordered this mattress after reading this thread. Thanks for posting everyone B) !

Hi kakulukiya,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know I think you made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I can’t wait to receive mine!

Hi htmlcode,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Decided to take the plunge on a T&N after spending hours reading posts.

I hope common logic is defied and this mattress does not start to sag after a year (or less). I will update everyone with my experience.

I like firm, with a tad of hugging from foam-like material, so this seems to be it.

Hi llazos,

You can read more about their materials and design in posts #2 and #6 here and as you can see there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their design that would compromise the durability or useful life of their mattress or result in a mattress that was sagging prematurely.

In other words … you made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m planning to order a T&N mattress today. My main concern is the stiffness of the mattress. It seems the mattress may feel much stiffer for people who are fairly lightweight (my partner and I are both < 15o lbs.).

Hi bantrycourt,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While in very general terms it’s certainly true that the materials in a mattress or a mattress “as a whole” can feel firmer for those that are in lighter weight ranges than they would for those that are in higher weight ranges. the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of “feel”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience since each person is unique.

Like all all the simplified choice mattresses the Tuft & Needle has a great return policy that lets you try the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk so the “worst case” is that if the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match for you in terms of PPP and you don’t sleep well on it that you can donate/return the mattress for a refund.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I received my queen mattress today.

It has been inflating for two hours now, but the dimensions are off. It measures 78x58 instead of 80x60. I hope it comes into shape, but I can’t see how it will expand two inches each way.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am receiving a new bed tomorrow, so I will check the fit then.

After sleeping on it(literally) for 2 months…I can say that this mattress is a keeper…I have tried casper,which ended up being too soft for my needs…It does sleep a little warmer than traditional mattresses,but has been so good for my back…And sleeping on the sides does not numb my arms(as my older mattress did).
Best of all I didn’t spend like thousands for a mattress…

I prefer to sleep on on my side mostly and this helps quite a bit to get restful nights sleep…
My preference is for a firmer and not too much body hugging style mattress and this feels like a keeper
GL to all who try this…