The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

I can’t wait to receive mine!

Hi htmlcode,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Decided to take the plunge on a T&N after spending hours reading posts.

I hope common logic is defied and this mattress does not start to sag after a year (or less). I will update everyone with my experience.

I like firm, with a tad of hugging from foam-like material, so this seems to be it.

Hi llazos,

You can read more about their materials and design in posts #2 and #6 here and as you can see there are no lower quality materials or weak links in their design that would compromise the durability or useful life of their mattress or result in a mattress that was sagging prematurely.

In other words … you made a good quality/value choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I’m planning to order a T&N mattress today. My main concern is the stiffness of the mattress. It seems the mattress may feel much stiffer for people who are fairly lightweight (my partner and I are both < 15o lbs.).

Hi bantrycourt,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While in very general terms it’s certainly true that the materials in a mattress or a mattress “as a whole” can feel firmer for those that are in lighter weight ranges than they would for those that are in higher weight ranges. the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of “feel”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) will be based on your own personal experience since each person is unique.

Like all all the simplified choice mattresses the Tuft & Needle has a great return policy that lets you try the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk so the “worst case” is that if the mattress isn’t a “good enough” match for you in terms of PPP and you don’t sleep well on it that you can donate/return the mattress for a refund.

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I received my queen mattress today.

It has been inflating for two hours now, but the dimensions are off. It measures 78x58 instead of 80x60. I hope it comes into shape, but I can’t see how it will expand two inches each way.

Anyone else having this problem?

I am receiving a new bed tomorrow, so I will check the fit then.

After sleeping on it(literally) for 2 months…I can say that this mattress is a keeper…I have tried casper,which ended up being too soft for my needs…It does sleep a little warmer than traditional mattresses,but has been so good for my back…And sleeping on the sides does not numb my arms(as my older mattress did).
Best of all I didn’t spend like thousands for a mattress…

I prefer to sleep on on my side mostly and this helps quite a bit to get restful nights sleep…
My preference is for a firmer and not too much body hugging style mattress and this feels like a keeper
GL to all who try this…

After reading plenty of reviews and hearing about their excellent customer service, I’m ready to take the plunge! I’ll leave a review and comments once I receive it! :slight_smile:

Hi Vidya46,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Vidya46,

It can take longer than two hours for a mattress to completely decompress and reach it’s normal size (which would be 60" x 80" +/- 1") so assuming that you’ve measured it correctly I would give it a couple of days before calling them about your mattress being out of spec.

Phoenix

Hi BobbyMcWho,

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Phoenix

Hi’

Would the 10 inch Tuft & Needle be better in the shoulder blade area than a Leesa, for someone

over 200 pounds? My current mattress tends to sink in too much in that area.

Thanks

Hi bed,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses they have a great trial period so you can test them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying it (or returning/donating it if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped) but the “bottom line” is that the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP or how it compares to another mattress for you (regardless of whether someone else would have a different opinion about how two mattresses compare) will be based on your own personal comparisons and/or experience.

Phoenix

Thank You.

Just ordered my new T&N mattress. Does anyone know if it’s okay to keep it inside the box for a few extra days after I receive it? My shipping confirmation email from T&N mentioned “it’s best” to unwrap/unbox right away, but I’m waiting on a new bed frame to be delivered mid-week next week.

Just want to make sure a few extra days in the box won’t harm anything! Thanks!

Hello all! I am looking to buy my first Tuft & Needle mattress and looking at all the reviews, it seems like the mattress for me at a great price point.

I am coming from an Amerisleep Liberty mattress and was wondering how does the Tuft & Needle stacks up against it? From all the reviews I looked over. Many has stated that it runs a little firmer than normal. Personally, I don’t mind but my wife tends to prefer plush to medium plush.

Hoping to find out more about this mattress!

-Chris

Hi br10,

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and experience once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

These are the types of questions that are usually best to ask the retailer or manufacturer directly since they will know more about their own materials and how long it would be “safe” to keep them compressed than anyone else but just to save you a phone call there would be no problem with keeping your mattress compressed for an extra week or two.

Phoenix

Hi Gooberboi,

[quote]I am coming from an Amerisleep Liberty mattress and was wondering how does the Tuft & Needle stacks up against it? From all the reviews I looked over. Many has stated that it runs a little firmer than normal. Personally, I don’t mind but my wife tends to prefer plush to medium plush.

Hoping to find out more about this mattress![/quote]

I would doubt that any of the forum members have slept on both mattresses for an extended period of time but even if they had their experience may be very different from yours.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In addition to this the Amerisleep Liberty is a memory foam mattress that is in a completely different category from Tuft & Needle which uses a high performance polyfoam in the comfort layers which is a more resilient material than memory foam (which has little to no resilience or “bounce” at all) so even if they have a similar firmness level they will “feel” very different from each other.

There is more information about the type and quality/durability of the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and in posts #2 and #6 here.

The materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress are higher quality and more durable than the materials in the Amerisleep Liberty which uses lower density 1.5 lb polyfoam in the transition and base layers which could be a weak link in their mattress in terms of durability but the durability of a material has very little to do with it’s firmness or how it “feels”.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and whether a specific mattress may be a good “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses they also have a great trial period so you can test them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying it (or returning/donating it if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped) but the “bottom line” is that the only way to know how firm a mattress feels for you (regardless of how firm it may feel for anyone else) or how it compares to another mattress (again regardless of how it may compare for someone else) will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Does anyone know why Tuft & Needle stopped producing the 5" version?