The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

After reading plenty of reviews and hearing about their excellent customer service, I’m ready to take the plunge! I’ll leave a review and comments once I receive it! :slight_smile:

Hi Vidya46,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to hear that your choice worked out so well for you :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Vidya46,

It can take longer than two hours for a mattress to completely decompress and reach it’s normal size (which would be 60" x 80" +/- 1") so assuming that you’ve measured it correctly I would give it a couple of days before calling them about your mattress being out of spec.

Phoenix

Hi BobbyMcWho,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit as well.

Phoenix

Hi’

Would the 10 inch Tuft & Needle be better in the shoulder blade area than a Leesa, for someone

over 200 pounds? My current mattress tends to sink in too much in that area.

Thanks

Hi bed,

The first “rule” of mattress shopping is to always remember that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved that are unique to each person to use a formula or for anyone to be able to predict or make a specific suggestion or recommendation about which mattress or combination of materials and components or which type of mattress would be the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” or PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) or how a mattress will “feel” to you or compare to another mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress) or “theory at a distance” that can possibly be more accurate than your own careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in step 4 of the tutorial) or your own personal sleeping experience (see mattress firmness/comfort levels in post #2 here).

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses they have a great trial period so you can test them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying it (or returning/donating it if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped) but the “bottom line” is that the only way to know whether any mattress is a good match for you in terms of PPP or how it compares to another mattress for you (regardless of whether someone else would have a different opinion about how two mattresses compare) will be based on your own personal comparisons and/or experience.

Phoenix

Thank You.

Just ordered my new T&N mattress. Does anyone know if it’s okay to keep it inside the box for a few extra days after I receive it? My shipping confirmation email from T&N mentioned “it’s best” to unwrap/unbox right away, but I’m waiting on a new bed frame to be delivered mid-week next week.

Just want to make sure a few extra days in the box won’t harm anything! Thanks!

Hello all! I am looking to buy my first Tuft & Needle mattress and looking at all the reviews, it seems like the mattress for me at a great price point.

I am coming from an Amerisleep Liberty mattress and was wondering how does the Tuft & Needle stacks up against it? From all the reviews I looked over. Many has stated that it runs a little firmer than normal. Personally, I don’t mind but my wife tends to prefer plush to medium plush.

Hoping to find out more about this mattress!

-Chris

Hi br10,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a good quality/value choice and I hope you have the chance to share your comments and experience once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

These are the types of questions that are usually best to ask the retailer or manufacturer directly since they will know more about their own materials and how long it would be “safe” to keep them compressed than anyone else but just to save you a phone call there would be no problem with keeping your mattress compressed for an extra week or two.

Phoenix

Hi Gooberboi,

[quote]I am coming from an Amerisleep Liberty mattress and was wondering how does the Tuft & Needle stacks up against it? From all the reviews I looked over. Many has stated that it runs a little firmer than normal. Personally, I don’t mind but my wife tends to prefer plush to medium plush.

Hoping to find out more about this mattress![/quote]

I would doubt that any of the forum members have slept on both mattresses for an extended period of time but even if they had their experience may be very different from yours.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful … I would also be very cautious about about using other people’s experiences or reviews on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because any mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range) and reviews in general certainly won’t tell you much if anything about the quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

There are no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer.

Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

In addition to this the Amerisleep Liberty is a memory foam mattress that is in a completely different category from Tuft & Needle which uses a high performance polyfoam in the comfort layers which is a more resilient material than memory foam (which has little to no resilience or “bounce” at all) so even if they have a similar firmness level they will “feel” very different from each other.

There is more information about the type and quality/durability of the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress in post #2 here in the simplified choice mattress topic and in posts #2 and #6 here.

The materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress are higher quality and more durable than the materials in the Amerisleep Liberty which uses lower density 1.5 lb polyfoam in the transition and base layers which could be a weak link in their mattress in terms of durability but the durability of a material has very little to do with it’s firmness or how it “feels”.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and whether a specific mattress may be a good “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses they also have a great trial period so you can test them in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend trying it (or returning/donating it if it doesn’t work out as well as you hoped) but the “bottom line” is that the only way to know how firm a mattress feels for you (regardless of how firm it may feel for anyone else) or how it compares to another mattress (again regardless of how it may compare for someone else) will be based on your own personal experience.

Phoenix

Does anyone know why Tuft & Needle stopped producing the 5" version?

Hi lapins,

Probably because the 10" mattress was a more suitable and popular choice and having two mattresses that were different thicknesses wasn’t a justifiable business decision but they would be able to tell you more about the reasons that they decided to discontinue it than any of the members here.

Phoenix

I just pulled the trigger myself… Chuck was awesome and very easy to work with.
I have three mattresses from Brooklyn Bedding (I love those) so I am very familiar with DreamFoam products (Quality and value). In this case I needed to keep costs down because I’m taking a contract job in a different State and it will be sent to me there so I can sleep well in my new location.
I’ll post updates later to compare it vs. Latex and if I’m sleeping well or not.

Hi Jefmoody,

Congratulations on mattress #4 :slight_smile:

As always I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you receive it.

Good luck in your new job as well!

Phoenix

Going to pick up a King size Tuft & needle soon, can’t wait to try and hard to argue with 100 day trial!
I’ll post back what I liked and didn’t (if any)

Planning to buy in few days for my new apartment. Will update my feedback in few weeks.

Bought a Tuft & Needle mattress today. Thanks to the $100 back via AMEX, the forum discount and Sam’s Return policy we should be able to trade up for next to nothing. Looking forward to testing it out!

Hi Anthonyd89 and vaibhavk and Daniel85,

Congratulations to each of you on your new mattresses as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve each had a chance to try them out.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for the information here regarding the AMEX $100 discount. By the way, for the AMEX discount you have to go into your online account and “activate” the deal before purchase. If you go to the bottom of the page (while being in your account), you will see the deals you can activate, the Tuft and Needle being one of them.

I’m currently on an IKEA latex mattress that is killing my back. I can’t wait to move that to the guest room and enjoy my new Tuft and Needle! My only question is longevity of the product since the company is so new. Time will tell and the 100 day trial makes me feel better about giving a new mattress a shot.

I’ll post again after I’ve had some time to enjoy it!