The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

planning on getting a king sized tuft & needle mattress. i’m looking for a very firm mattress so we’ll see how this goes :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi col127,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think that most people would probably rate it somewhere in a medium firm range but each person can have a very different idea of what feels soft or firm to them so I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback when you’ve received it and have had a chance to try it out.

Phoenix

about to finally make my purchase of my 10in T’N Queen… Hopefully this bed lives up to the hype.

Hi Riksin,

Congratulations on your new mattress :).

As you probably know from your reading here you certainly made a good quality/value choice but the only way to know whether any mattress you purchase will be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) and how well you sleep on it (regardless anyone else’s experience on the same mattress) will be based on your own personal experience because each person is unique so I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback about how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I am in the market and currently considering Tuft & Needle King but I was hoping to try something locally that might have the same/similar feel as Tuft & Needle. Can anyone suggest/recommend something that is similar to this? I have looked at the iComfort at Macys and really liked it. Can I expect T&N to be anything like that or I am being unrealistic?

Thanks,

Hi mdesai,

I switched your post to a new topic with a more descriptive title since your question was outside the scope of the original topic you posted in.

There is more information in post #9 here about the different ways that one mattress can “match” or “approximate” another one. Every layer and component in a mattress (including the cover) will affect the feel and performance of every other layer and component and the mattress “as a whole” so unless you are able to find another mattress that uses exactly the same type of materials, components, cover, layer thicknesses, layer firmnesses, and overall design (which would be very unlikely) then there really isn’t a way to match one mattress to another one in terms of “comfort” and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) based on the specifications of the mattress.

Mattress manufacturers generally try to differentiate their mattress from the mattresses made by other manufacturers and don’t normally try to “match” another mattress that is made by a different manufacturer so while you may find some local mattresses that use “similar” materials or designs and there would be others that are in a similar general category or firmness range … they will generally have different combinations of foam layers and components.

Unless a manufacturer specifically says in their description of a mattress that one of their mattresses in the same general category is specifically designed to “match” or “approximate” another one in terms of firmness or “feel” (or they are very familiar with both mattresses and can provide reliable guidance about how they compare based on the “averages” of a larger group of people) … the only reliable way to know for certain how two mattresses would compare for you in terms of how they “feel” or in terms of firmness or PPP would be based on your own careful testing or actual sleeping experience on both of them.

There are also no “standard” definitions or consensus of opinions for firmness ratings and different manufacturers can rate their mattresses very differently than others so a mattress that one manufacturer rates as being a specific firmness could be rated very differently by another manufacturer. Different people can also have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While your own careful testing or personal experience is the most reliable way to know whether any mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of comfort and PPP or how closely it “matches” another mattress … when you can’t test a mattress in person then the most reliable source of guidance is always a more detailed phone conversation with a knowledgeable and experienced retailer or manufacturer that has your best interests at heart and who can help “talk you through” the specifics of their mattresses and the properties and “feel” of the materials they are using (fast or slow response, resilience, firmness etc) and the options they have available that may be the best “match” for you based on the information you provide them, any local testing you have done or mattresses you have slept on and liked or other mattresses you are considering that they are familiar with, and the “averages” of other customers that are similar to you. They will know more about “matching” their specific mattress designs and firmness levels to different body types, sleeping positions, and preferences (or to other mattresses that they are familiar with) than anyone else.

The Tuft & Needle uses high performance polyfoam in their comfort layers (which would be more resilient than memory foam and less resilient than latex) on top of a polyfoam support core. There is more information about the type and quality/durability of the materials in the Tuft & Needle mattress in posts #2 and #6 here.

Like the other simplified choice mattresses … they have a great trial period and return policy that lets you test the mattress in your bedroom instead of a showroom with little risk outside of the time you spend sleeping on it or in the “worst case” returning or donating it should that become necessary if it’s not a “good enough” match for you in terms of PPP (regardless of how it compares to any other mattress).

The “bottom line” is that the only reliable way to “match” a mattress with another one that has a different design or to know how closely they compare for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP with any certainty (regardless of anyone else’s comparisons or experience that may be different from yours) will be based on your own personal experience on both mattresses.

Phoenix

I’m pretty sure I’m buying a T&N. I’m looking forward to adding a review once I receive it.

I’m going to pick up a King. I’ll review it after a few weeks of sleeping on it.

Hi howdymc,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks for the detailed response. I think for now I am going to give it a try and see how it goes. Based on what others have stated I think we might be ok but lets see. My big concerns are the firmness as both myself and my partner are big people.

Thanks,

Hi mdesai,

I think you made a good quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to finding out how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Night #1 on my 4th Mattress (12-in-1 this time) from BB/Dreamfoam was excellent.
This is a nice mattress; I feel great after sleeping on it last night.
The only downside was having to wait a few days to receive the mattress.
BTW, I got 10% off and a free pillow (TMU Perk) to go with the free shipping!
I’ll update on this again after getting to know my new 12 -in-1 mattress for a few weeks.

Hi jefmoody,

Oops … I edited my last reply to 4th from 3rd :slight_smile:

Thanks once again for taking the time to share another update on another Dreamfoam mattress … I appreciate it.

Phoenix

I’m another one that was sold on the T&N after reading the reviews here. Just ordered a King. Can’t wait to get it.

Hi JHuff15,

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

Excited to give this mattress a try! Read all the great reviews online and hoping we love it as so many others have. Always happy to support an American business!

Hi zZzSEATOWN,

Congratulations on your new mattress as well :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to finding out how you like it once you’ve received it and have had the chance to try it out.

Phoenix

I’ve been doing so much research online trying to filter out the fake sponsored reviews from the genuine ones, until I was eventually lead to this great site. I’m so happy I ran into this website. I finally made the decision to go with the Tuft & Needle over the Leesa. We’ll see how it goes. :slight_smile:

Hi quasimoto,

I’m glad you found us … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m also looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Decided to buy king tuft and needle mattress now. Excited to sleep to new mattress.