The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi jazz,

I’m glad the thread was helpful … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I wish that were the case for my lower back pain. I train in martial arts 7 days a week so I doubt my core is weak. I notice on days when I don’t train as hard (or take the day off), I wake up with light back pain on this mattress.

For instance, I trained everyday this week pretty hard except Wedneday… I woke up with backpain that day. No pain Friday morning, today a little bit of back pain and some discomfort in my previously injured shoulder(rotator cuff problems from too many push ups).

My boyfriend thinks this is the best bed ever. He also weighs 50 lbs or so more than I do. He also has superior posture, whereas I tend to slouch when I sit at my desk and sometimes I slouch when I am walking (so bad, I know). I am sure if I didn’t slouch(I try to pay attention to it since he mentioned it) this bed wouldn’t give me any discomfort at all. I am thinking maybe a topper, depending on if I still occasionally experience back pain after the 30 days. I don’t really think I am uncomfortable enough to return the mattress. I have slept through most nights since getting my 10(as mentioned in an earlier post, I usually wake up 3 times a night) and it’s a Saturday MORNING and I am awake on my own without an alarm.

I am very glad that people have been willing to share their experiences with this mattress. I’m pretty close to putting in an order. My biggest concern is the potential for body impressions since I’m a heavy guy (240). I’m not too concerned about the firmness as I like a firm mattress. If it is too firm, I can always add a topper.

My thought about back pain I realize is a a bit of generalization… and a good nights sleep vs some discomfort isn’t something one can easily ignore. I wish I can say I’ve slept through the night every night I’ve slept on my 10… but I can’t… and I can’t blame the mattress either my cat for some unkown reason has been seeing fit to awake me 3-4 hour after I go to bed.

From what I can tell I don’t think that should be much of an issue… It seems I leave as much of an impression (just under 190) as my my 8 pound cat.

Hi maskedrose,

I think you are wise to wait a few weeks or so to give your body time to adjust to a new sleeping surface, especially since you have a tendency to slouch which the mattress may be helping you “correct” which can cause some discomfort at first. If you are still having some discomfort or pain after the initial break in and adjustment period then a topper can be a good idea if you need a little extra softness, pressure relief, and contouring for your mattress. There are some topper guidelines in post #2 here and the posts it links to which may be helpful if you decide to go in that direction.

I know from your previous comments as well that you are aware of this but your pillow can also make a significant difference in both pressure relief and in alignment when you change to a firmer sleeping surface because the distance between your head or neck and the mattress will be different.

Thanks for your ongoing feedback :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi SleepNYC,

While all soft foam materials will soften and impress to some degree over time … higher quality/density materials will do so less and over a longer period of time than lower quality/density materials. The polyfoam layers in the Tuft & Needle mattress are @ 2 lb density which is a good quality and durable grade of polyfoam and would generally be suitable for your weight. You can read more about the quality specs of different types of foam in post #4 here.

Phoenix

I placed my order today for the 10 inch mattress. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences and knowledge!

Hi SleepNYC,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice in your budget range and I’m looking forward to your comments and any feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it.

Phoenix

Could someone who has the 10" T&N speak to what the mattress feels like to sleep on? I guess more generally, I don’t even know what polyfoam feels like to sleep on. I like a really firm mattress that only very slightly (certainly less than 1") contours to my body and holds me up on the mattress instead of in it. I know a lot of personal factors goes into this equation, but would someone like to describe exactly what they feel this bed compares to?
Thanks!

I would say this bed feels like a cushioned floor. It’s softer than sleeping on a carpet or grass, but not by too much.

That sounds pretty much like what I’m after. I might just have to give it a try. Thank you!

I have the 10 and have been sleeping on it for 2 weeks. I love it for any budget frankly. In fact, prior to this one, I had returned a > $2000 beautyrest black and paid the huge fees. I like this one way better. I will say I initially thought it would be too firm after the first two nights. But that was probalby because I’ve been on plush innersprings most of my life. As to how it feels, first off I don’t like memory foam as I find most sleep hot. I’d say you get between 1 to 2 inches of “sink” and zero hotness. I’d say it’s a bit nicer than a cushioned floor feel. If you like your mattresses on the firmer side, it’s worth a try with the easy return process. Even if I found it too firm, I’d probably just buy a topper than deal with standard mattress companies. Happy to try answer any other questions. I’m thrilled with this purchase.

Hi Enrico10,

Most mainstream mattresses (including most innersprings) use polyfoam in the comfort layers but they are usually in softer layers and polyfoam has a very wide range of firmness/softness choices. It’s a fast response material (unlike memory foam which is a slow response material) but it’s generally not as contouring or resilient as latex which is also a fast response material.

Polyfoam mattress can have a very wide range of different “feels” and firmness or comfort levels because there are thousands of different designs and firmness levels that can be used in each layer inside each mattress but it may be worth trying some of the Ikea polyfoam mattresses if there is one near you to get a general sense of what a poly foam mattress can feel like in very general terms even though they won’t be the same as the Tuft and Needle because they use a different layering design or thickness, different types or grades of polyfoam, and different firmness levels for the polyfoam layers.

The Ikea polyfoam mattresses include …

You can also see some comments and pictures in post #3 here and post #61 here but again I would keep in mind that this would only give you a very general sense of what a polyfoam mattress can feel like but none of the Ikea mattresses have the same 3 layer design or would have the same “feel” or firmness or comfort level as the Tuft & Needle mattress.

Phoenix

I have been searching a long time for a mattress that won’t leave me hot like memory foam and won’t sag like an innerspring. I came across the Tuft & Needle, but it seemed too “futon-ish” for me. Then I read a couple other sites and stumbled on this thread. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have contributed your thoughts and feedback.

I am going to pitch the 10" to my wife and hopefully soon we’ll take the plunge.

Thanks again!

How long do these mattresses take to arrive? Is there still a backlog?

Is it easy to move this mattress around? Does it have handles to carry or turn?

No handles… I haven’t tried to move mine yet so I can’t say how hard it would be to carry but I don’t think it would be that hard to turn (going to do that tonight)

great thread. put order in on 4/11 for mine. anyone else place order on or about that date?
can’t wait to try :slight_smile:

Hi Porkroll,

I’m glad you found us … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I ordered on 4/11 also, and was told it would be 5-7 days after purchase for the order to be shipped. I’m hoping it will ship Monday, or Tuesday.