The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Just wanted to report back that the mattresses were excellent quality. No need to wait much for chemical airing out like other foam. A bit firm compared to a pillow-top, but great for back support. Edge support was fine as well. Too bad they don’t offer the discount anymore - having that made us jump and purchase two versus one mattress.

Hi RobotsRock,

Thanks for the update.

It’s good to hear that your mattresses worked out well for you.

Phoenix

I have had the 12 n 1 for 5 weeks now and I like it. It isn’t as comfortable or supportive as my Aloe Alexis (Latex) but it is comfortable, configurable and didn’t break the bank.
The bed has three 2" Poly-foam layers that are rated soft, medium and firm (They are even color coded). It comes with a cover that unzips so you can arrange them in any configuration you want. Another nice feature is that if you have it configured for softness and want to try it as firm as possible you merely need to flip it over.
To me, Poly-foam feels most like the comfort layer of any regular S-brand mattress you would buy from the store – not like memory foam or latex.

There are many good reasons to buy this mattress: Guest room, kids or in my case for the condo I’m renting. I’m 100% positive that it is worth the price (<$400 for a queen).

Sleep well,
Jeff

Hi jefmoody,

Thanks for taking the time to share another update :slight_smile:

I appreciate your many contributions to the Mattress Forum!

Phoenix

We’ve found our Queen Tuft & Needle to sleep quite hot. We do have a mattress cover and it is on a platform bed - will try removing the cover to see what kind of difference it makes.

Has anyone else found this? Or found a good mattress cover that keeps it cool?

Hi winston9t4,

While it’s not always possible to to track down or quantify temperature regulation issues for any particular person on a specific mattress because there are so many variables involved (including your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range) and some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

There is more information about the pros and cons of different types of mattress protectors and some good sources for each of them in post #89 here that should be helpful. The membrane type of protectors are less breathable than protectors that don’t have a waterproof membrane and along with your sheets and bedding can certainly have an effect on your sleeping temperature for some people regardless of the mattress you are using it on.

Phoenix

Thanks for the info. I am just comparing directly to my previous “conventional spring” mattress, using identical sheets and mattress pad. It is definitely warmer.

Hi winstont4,

Springs allow for more airflow through a mattress than a foam core and while the upper layers of a mattress that are closer to your skin are the ones that generally have the biggest effect on temperature regulation … the deeper layers can also make some difference as well.

Phoenix

Hey all! We received our T&N King last Wednesday, here are our thoughts so far:

We let ours air out for about 5 days before sleeping on it. We kept the ceiling fan on during the day, walked on it whenever we could (what a workout!), and opened up the blinds to let the sun in and keep the room temperature up to speed outgassing. The smell was never unbearable though, and we both have very sharp senses of smell. Most of the smell dissipated by that 5th day, and since then we’ve only noticed it once or twice overnight. I’m guessing at this rate, it will be totally gone by the end of the week.

Coming from a firm no-name memory foam mattress we purchased from Woot! several years ago, we expected the T&N to be even firmer. After it got up to room temperature from the tundra outside, we were surprised to find that the T&N’s comfort layer actually felt softer! So far, the two nights we’ve slept normally, no better or worse than before regarding comfort or temperature. However, I have noticed that when sleeping on my side, there is less pressure on my shoulders and hips.

Regarding temperature, we tend to sleep hot and use a low-fill down alternative comforter with duvet cover along with “EvenTemp” temperature regulating sheets from Kohl’s. We have not added any kind of mattress cover yet, mostly because we don’t want to inhibit the temperature regulation of the T&N comfort layer. However, if anyone knows of better “cooling” sheets or a mattress cover that wouldn’t affect temperature notably, we’re open to suggestions.

At the moment, we are a bit worried that after break-in this may end up softening beyond than our personal preference, but that’s what the 100 night policy is perfect for! I’ll report back in a couple weeks when we’ve gotten used to it and it’s broken in.

We’re bummed that we missed the AMEX offer and the MU discount by just a few weeks, we really could have used the extra cash now! Hopefully it won’t matter much if we’re happy a few years down the road.

Phoenix, thank you for all the hard work and contributions to this forum again and again. You’ve made a positive difference in the lives of each visitor, lurker, and member of this site. Even if we aren’t conscious of it in our sleep :cheer:

Hi horspowr1001,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you ended up purchasing and for sharing your comments and feedback about your new Tuft & Needle mattress. Most importantly congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Thanks also for your kind comments … I appreciate them as well!

There is more about the different types of mattress protectors and the pros and cons of each of them (including temperature regulation) in post #89 here.

There is also more information about sheets and bedding in post #7 here and the other posts and sources of information it links to that should be helpful as well. Natural fabrics such as cotton, linen, or silk or “semi synthetic” fabrics such as viscose rayon (made from bamboo, beech and other viscose sources) will generally be better at regulating temperature than synthetic fabrics such as polyester. Linen (made from flax) and Silk in particular are very good at regulating temperature.

I’m looking forward to any additional updates you have the chance to share in a few more weeks.

Phoenix

Oops, I did it again!
I just bought a second DreamFoam 12 n 1 foam mattress. I’ve been sleeping on the first one for 3 months now and I am so pleased that I decided to get another one for the second bedroom (At the Condo).
The 12 n 1 is so flexible in that you can easily change the Firmness level by rearranging the color-coded foam layers or just flipping the mattress over. It is hard to go wrong with this mattress.
Pleasant Dreams,
Jeff

Hi jefmoody,

Thanks for the update … and congratulations on your new mattress once again :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I think Novaform mattress is good. Its costly but the lasting support is very good (so far i know :slight_smile: )

About to order a T&N Queen, after having read reviews/specs for most of the ‘disrupter’ mattress on this site. Thanks!

Hi tomrh3,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to find out how you like it.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

Meant to update a couple months ago, finally getting around to it. Thank you for the reply and the extra information links!

Obviously we’ve passed our 100 night trial period, and considering I haven’t had a post full of rants yet, you can guess we’ve kept our T&N. We’ve slept comfortably on this mattress so far and the temperature regulation has been good for our preferences. Will have to update on this again as we are further into the summer months.

There hasn’t been any notable softening after 5 months of sleeping on it, and we’ve been somewhat diligent about rotating it with every other sheet change or so.

One thing I noted though, after full expansion, some of the corners of the mattress did stay a bit “rounded” and never became a “sharp” corner as I expected. Not sure if this was an unrealistic expectation. This is not really a problem though as we are really never sitting on the corners.

I also want to point out that my wife is now in her 8th month of pregnancy and she’s been comfortable on the mattress so far. She still has the usual aches and pains of pregnancy as the belly gets bigger, but we don’t think any of that has been exacerbated by the mattress since she usually wakes up feeling better - so I guess that’s a good thing?

Thanks again for all the help and keeping this great source of information going. Planning on posting again in the future as the mattress ages (and so do we).

Hi horspowr1001,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update with your comments and feedback … I appreciate it.

It’s great to see that your mattress choice worked out well for you.

This would be normal

Phoenix

thought I would drop by again and give our thoughts on the T&N bed we’ve had for a year-ish now. IT IS STILL AMAZING. we still find the bed supportive yet fluffily comforting enough that when we lay down/collapse onto the bed, there’s that aaaaaah! moment. temperature has never been an issue (we live in Honolulu, where the summer heat and humidity can be so ew! at night, especially in a house w/o AC). we both sleep peacefully through the night far more often than not (for me, especially, this is amazing because of some health issues that affected my sleep cycle). we remain happy to recommend this bed (and to check out Mattress Underground as part of their research) to anyone who asks. thank you, again, Mattress Underground, for helping us make this decision!

Hi devlynaskurt,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and feedback after a year … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It’s good to see that your mattress choice worked out so well for you!

Phoenix

Wanted to provide a update and provide some additional information most people probably don’t know about. We’ve had our Tuft & Needle since November 2015, although we’ve been happy with it, it’s always been on the firm side for me. I’ve missed the plushness of a mattress that you kinda sink into since we got the T&N. So I did some searching for a topper and came across some mentions of a topper that T&N provides. So I emailed T&N about it and to my surprise, not only do they have one available but they offered it to me for free!

It appears to be a 2" topper inside the T&N cloth cover. The material is same color as the top layer of the mattress, darker gray. It feels really good and makes a really big difference, I don’t know if it’s a less dense material or the same mattress’ top layer.

Anyway, I’m thrilled T&N had a topper available and provided it at not cost. Now I’m really happy with the mattress. So if anyone tries it and wants it to be softer, ask about a topper.