The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

Hi SleepNYC,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice in your budget range and I’m looking forward to your comments and any feedback you have the chance to share when you receive it.

Phoenix

Could someone who has the 10" T&N speak to what the mattress feels like to sleep on? I guess more generally, I don’t even know what polyfoam feels like to sleep on. I like a really firm mattress that only very slightly (certainly less than 1") contours to my body and holds me up on the mattress instead of in it. I know a lot of personal factors goes into this equation, but would someone like to describe exactly what they feel this bed compares to?
Thanks!

I would say this bed feels like a cushioned floor. It’s softer than sleeping on a carpet or grass, but not by too much.

That sounds pretty much like what I’m after. I might just have to give it a try. Thank you!

I have the 10 and have been sleeping on it for 2 weeks. I love it for any budget frankly. In fact, prior to this one, I had returned a > $2000 beautyrest black and paid the huge fees. I like this one way better. I will say I initially thought it would be too firm after the first two nights. But that was probalby because I’ve been on plush innersprings most of my life. As to how it feels, first off I don’t like memory foam as I find most sleep hot. I’d say you get between 1 to 2 inches of “sink” and zero hotness. I’d say it’s a bit nicer than a cushioned floor feel. If you like your mattresses on the firmer side, it’s worth a try with the easy return process. Even if I found it too firm, I’d probably just buy a topper than deal with standard mattress companies. Happy to try answer any other questions. I’m thrilled with this purchase.

Hi Enrico10,

Most mainstream mattresses (including most innersprings) use polyfoam in the comfort layers but they are usually in softer layers and polyfoam has a very wide range of firmness/softness choices. It’s a fast response material (unlike memory foam which is a slow response material) but it’s generally not as contouring or resilient as latex which is also a fast response material.

Polyfoam mattress can have a very wide range of different “feels” and firmness or comfort levels because there are thousands of different designs and firmness levels that can be used in each layer inside each mattress but it may be worth trying some of the Ikea polyfoam mattresses if there is one near you to get a general sense of what a poly foam mattress can feel like in very general terms even though they won’t be the same as the Tuft and Needle because they use a different layering design or thickness, different types or grades of polyfoam, and different firmness levels for the polyfoam layers.

The Ikea polyfoam mattresses include …

You can also see some comments and pictures in post #3 here and post #61 here but again I would keep in mind that this would only give you a very general sense of what a polyfoam mattress can feel like but none of the Ikea mattresses have the same 3 layer design or would have the same “feel” or firmness or comfort level as the Tuft & Needle mattress.

Phoenix

I have been searching a long time for a mattress that won’t leave me hot like memory foam and won’t sag like an innerspring. I came across the Tuft & Needle, but it seemed too “futon-ish” for me. Then I read a couple other sites and stumbled on this thread. I just wanted to say thank you to all of you who have contributed your thoughts and feedback.

I am going to pitch the 10" to my wife and hopefully soon we’ll take the plunge.

Thanks again!

How long do these mattresses take to arrive? Is there still a backlog?

Is it easy to move this mattress around? Does it have handles to carry or turn?

No handles… I haven’t tried to move mine yet so I can’t say how hard it would be to carry but I don’t think it would be that hard to turn (going to do that tonight)

great thread. put order in on 4/11 for mine. anyone else place order on or about that date?
can’t wait to try :slight_smile:

Hi Porkroll,

I’m glad you found us … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it.

Phoenix

I ordered on 4/11 also, and was told it would be 5-7 days after purchase for the order to be shipped. I’m hoping it will ship Monday, or Tuesday.

For those who have slept on the T&N Ten, did this mattress turn out to be softer or firmer than what you expected it to be?

I am going to bite the bullet and place an order soon.

I honestly didn’t know what to expect. I was expecting a firm bed, but I can’t envision a bed much firmer than the Ten… so yes it was firmer than I expected.

Phoenix,

Do you think the T&N Ten will sink more over time compared to the T&N Five? Or should it provide more support over time?

I am just wondering if the foam thickness (ten inches vs five inches) makes any difference in the durability of the mattress. Or is it simply thicker to handle perceptions that good mattresses are thicker.

Hi darkarchon,

[quote]Do you think the T&N Ten will sink more over time compared to the T&N Five? Or should it provide more support over time?

I am just wondering if the foam thickness (ten inches vs five inches) makes any difference in the durability of the mattress. Or is it simply thicker to handle perceptions that good mattresses are thicker. [/quote]

The most important factor in the durability of a polyfoam mattress is the quality/density of the polyfoam (in this case about 1.8 - 2 lb polyfoam) and both the 5" and the 10" use the same quality polyfoam. A thicker mattress may be a little more durable however because there is more foam to spread out and absorb the compression forces when you sleep on it so the percentage of compression in the foam would be a little less which can reduce the wear and tear on the mattress.

There are several benefits to a thicker mattress though. One is that thicker mattresses are less likely to bottom out under more concentrated weight or heavier body types.

You could use them on a slatted foundation rather than a solid surface like a floor or a solid surface foundation because you would be less likely to feel the slats under the mattress (particularly with heavier weights).

It would also raise the height of the sleeping surface which would be easier to get in and out of bed for some people.

A thicker mattress also has a wider range of compression from soft to firm which would make it more adaptable for higher weights (and it would probably feel a little softer as well) although lighter weights may not notice any difference in “feel” between them. There is more about the effects of thickness in post #14 here.

Of course the tradeoff for greater thickness is that it’s heavier, a little more costly, and a little more difficult to move, transport, or store.

Phoenix

Been a few weeks, still love my bed. I also really like this company in general, I got a very nice hand written thank you card after I responded to a survey they sent me in an email. The personalization with their customer support is awesome, more companies should be like this. They pretty much secured me for life at this point, when I need a queen size bed I’ll be going back to them.

Hi berfles,

Thanks for the update and feeback … I appreciate it :).

It’s great to see you’re happy with your mattress and their customer service.

Phoenix

Great seeing a topic on this, and finding out about this forum. I’m in the midst of shopping for a mattress, and this has been really helpful.

I generally like firmer foam mattresses and like the business model (and cost!) of Tuft & Needle, plus the generous return window and the high reviews. Figure worst case if I can’t sleep, I can always return… hoping to order a 10" in the next couple days, will post my feedback as well!