The 10 in. Tuft & Needle Diary

I am interested in their 10" as well. I have an adjustable bed platform and like to know if their 10" will be suitable as well as how well I can sleep on it.

Hi MitchK,

You can check with them to make sure as they would be the most “authoritative” source of information but an all foam mattress would normally work well on an adjustable bed.

When you can’t test a mattress in person then the only way you will know for certain how well a mattress will “match” your specific needs and preferences in terms of PPP is when you receive it and have had a chance to sleep on it. While they have designed it to be suitable for a fairly wide range of people “on average” … there is no such thing as one mattress that is a good match for everyone.

The good news is that they have a great return policy if it turns out that it’s not as good a match for you as you hoped for and it’s certainly a low risk choice for those who are in a lower budget range.

Phoenix

Thanks for sharing! That is super interesting. I hope that is not the case for myself and my guy. I used to sleep on pretty firm mattresses before trying(and becoming miserable) with a plush pillowtop. Many nights my guy and I just sleep on the floor because of how lousy our bed is. The only pain I experience from sleeping on the floor is actually in my legs. I’m pretty much just interested in something that is sturdy like the floor but wont make my muscles sore. So hopefully I’ll have a positive experience when I get mine.

Did you notice that if 5 is softer by any chance? Let us know how it feels with a topper!

Hi Timdogg,

My own preference would be to use a breathable and stretchy cover (such as a knit cotton or bamboo) which can breathe and actually help with moisture wicking and temperature control. A good cover can also help protect the latex against oxidation from ozone and ultraviolet light or against damage from handling or other substances (see this list) that can affect latex and shorten it’s useful life.
ADMIN NOTE:Retired Website | Archived Footprint: primelineindustries.com/natural-rubber-chemcompchart.html

Phoenix

If you are sleeping comfortable on the floor, you will LOVE this mattress :slight_smile: I am positively crippled if I sleep on the floor for an extended period of time, so it is becoming more obvious that I need a bit of a softer sleeping surface.

Tough question about the 5", it is such a different mattress. I would say it feels about the same, I am heavy so if I side sleep on it, I am not comfortable. But if I am on my back, it feels great. We waited for the 10 because T&N said it would work better with slats, that is the only reason we didn’t get the 5".

Still going back and forth on what we are going to do. A lot of the latex mattress toppers that I could find aren’t returnable … and given they are over half the price of the mattress, it is a strong gamble to take. I believe tonight we are going to put our old mattress back on and see how we sleep on it. We might just go through the RMA so we can stop lugging King size mattresses around our room :slight_smile:

I hope I love it then! :slight_smile:

The floor, to me is alright with a carpet under me, and even more exceptional with a body pillow between myself and the floor.

On that note, my 10 shipped today! The official countdown begins!! :woohoo:

My 10" Tuft & Needle mattress is being delivered later today! :cheer: I ordered 3/17/14 so it took 13 days from order placement to pickup by Federal Express. Delivery takes 3 days on the West Coast.

Mine is coming tomorrow!! :ohmy: :side:

Let me know what the unboxing is like! How many hours before it grows to full size, etc after breaking the plastic wrap!!!

It arrived this morning. I have not seen it yet myself but my wife was able to drag the big box inside the house and pull out the mattress easily. She cut off the protective plastic around the mattress and put the mattress to one side to let it air out and expand fully - which it did quickly. From what I hear, there is no smell to the new mattress. It has expanded to about 11 inches thick. The cover appears to be of good quality.

The mattress came with no instructions - why does that matter? On this forum, Phoenix posted the following:

“It’s designed as a one sided mattress with firmer layers on the bottom and softer layers on the top although “in theory” you could sleep on either side if the firmer support layers were suitable for you to sleep on (although the risk of alignment issues would be higher because the softer materials would be on the bottom. It would be very different on each side and if one side was suitable for you to sleep on then the odds are high that the other side wouldn’t be. The 5” and the 10" version have the same top two layers in terms of the softness and thickness of the material so for most people they would have a similar “feel” (the top layers are responsible for most of the “feel” and pressure relief of a mattress) and the difference between them is the thickness of the firmest support layer on the bottom. For some people, depending on their weight, the thicker version will feel softer because they may sink into the thicker support layer more deeply. Higher weights would notice this more than lighter weights."

So if one side is softer than the other, I would like to know that before I sleep on it. I sent an email to the company to get their take on it. I will post their response here.

It will be interesting to try it out tonight. We will place it on the queen-size box spring from our Stearns & Foster mattress set. The S&F mattress quickly wore out but the box spring appears to be in good shape and the top of it is padded enough that it should not harm the foam of the new mattress.

Here is the email I received from Tuft & Needle customer service about how to unpack & deal with a new mattress:

[i][color=#0000ff]Thanks for reaching out! Here’s a little info:

Once you receive the bed, it is best to bring it straight into the bedroom to unwrap it. Take the bed out of the box and place the roll on the frame or sleeping surface. Carefully use scissors (no knives or razors) to cut open the sleeve. Unroll the vacuum sealed bed into it’s position, then break the sealed plastic.

Additional notes:

• You can discard all of the plastic and the box. If you find that you need to return the bed, we do not require that you re-package it.

- The zipper goes on the bottom, the bevelled edge goes on top. We want you to have an even sleep surface.

• The mattress cover is not machine washable. Using a cover can help prolong the life of your Tuft & Needle Bed—protecting it from spills as well as dirt or allergens. You’ll just want to make sure your cover is both moisture-resistant and breathable.

Here are a couple we like:

https://www.amazon.com/Hospitology-Defense-Waterproof-Mattress-Encasement/dp/B005OLK55A/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381352785&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=Hospitolgy

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=luna%20hypoallergenic%20mattress%20cover%20queen&sprefix=luna+hypo%2Caps%2C267

https://www.amazon.com/Naturepedic-Orgainc-Mattress-Cover-Waterproof/dp/B000YS1YM6

Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Sarah D[/color][/i].

They could save themselves a lot of follow-up if they put that in with the mattress somehow.

Hi JohnB and maskedrose,

It’s good to see that some of the 10" Tuft & Needle mattresses are arriving and I’m looking forward to your feedback once you’ve both had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Thanks for the updates and feedback so far.

Phoenix

Maybe… I actually bought a bed protector in advance because I just think it’s common sense… plus there is a bed bug problem in NYC and I want to futureproof my investment.

They told me via email that I would easily tell which side is the top of the mattress. Do you think that’s a fair assessment? How many hours did you leave it before putting sheets and sleeping on it?

Once I saw the mattress, it was obvious that the side with the tags attached had to go on the bottom, and the side with the beveled edges had to be the top.

We left it for about 11 hours leaning up against a wall (lengthwise) so that both sides could expand and out-gas if needed before preparing it for sleeping.

During the first night I noticed a “new” smell coming from the foam if I was sleeping on my side with my nose close to the mattress. I think there must still be some out-gassing going on, but it did not give me a headache or make my lungs burn the way memory foam did. If you are chemically sensitive it would probably be best to let it air out for a few days. But if you are that sensitive then you probably don’t want to be sleeping on any kind of foam made from petroleum products.

Here’s is my report of the first night sleeping on a Tuft & Needle 10-inch thick mattress. The mattress was placed on a regular innerspring mattress’ “box spring”/foundation.

First, the good news to report is that my wife said that she slept fine on the new mattress. The cat also seemed to do fine on the mattress!

I did not have a good sleep – in fact my experience was the opposite. The first hour of sleeping on my back seemed okay. The mattress is very firm and supportive for back sleepers. Most of the night though I sleep on my side. After a total of four hours on the mattress (i.e. in middle of the night) I had to get off and move to the spare bed to get some rest. For me as a side sleeper, the mattress was simply too hard. I had painful pressure points at my knees and hips and elbows, the points that typically would sink into a plush mattress. Also, I run very warm and after that length of time I could feel the foam mattress reflecting my heat back to me, which made the center of my body uncomfortably hot where it was in contact with the mattress surface, even through our normal thickly padded mattress topper. I imagine it would be much more difficult to tolerate the reflected heat in the warmer months. Overall, I had a very poor sleep and by the time I switched beds I felt as though I had been sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag with just a thin piece of foam beneath me (something I haven’t done for very many years).

Since there are so many positive reviews of this mattress on Amazon, and since even my wife thought the mattress was okay, I have to assume that my personal experience will not be shared by most.

If you sleep on your back all the time, if you like a firm mattress, or if you have no trouble sleeping on the ground when camping, then you should have no problems with this mattress. If like me you sleep on your side most of the time, you don’t have a lot of “built-in padding”, you are used to sleeping on an extremely plush mattress and you have a hard time sitting on manmade materials because they radiate too much heat back to you, then this mattress is probably not for you. It is not for me.

These are all good things to know. Do you think it was important to leave the mattress for 11 hours to expand? I am getting mine after 5pm so I am wondering if I should leave it out on the new frame (will be using a metal/wire frame purchased for this) and sleep on my old mattress tonight.

I imagine a firm mattress wouldn’t be so great for a side sleeper. I am still hopefull, though! I can fall asleep very quickly if I am lying outside in the grass (I used to nap all the time on the quad during college), or if I am on a carpet,etc. Both my guy and I sleep on our backs. I almost never sleep on my side except for recently because I find my bed not supportive enough for back/stomach sleeping… and even then I end up on my back or stomach when I wake up haha!

Do you plan to return this mattress?

I’ll post my report over the weekend! :slight_smile:

I’ll be hopeful!

I’m sure that if you let the mattress rest for just a couple of hours, that will be fine.

Fedex screwed up my delivery date and is bringing my mattress tomorrow! Nooooo! :angry:

Just got mine in today. I was going to put it on my boxspring but I noticed one of the boards was snapped, probably from my crappy mattress I had before compressing 100% every time I sat on it (215-220lbs). The bed actually used to be a bunkbed that could double as a standalone set, so there is a solid piece of wood that I was using under the boxspring. If I just used the wood by itself the mattress wouldn’t sit down in the frame properly and was a little tilted, so I put the boxspring first and the piece of wood on top and now it sits fine. I’m not sure if this is the best case scenario, but it’s all I can do right now since the box spring is broken.

As for the feel of the bed, it feels great based on my limited use so far. Laying on it to watch TV feels 100x better than my old mattress, but anything in the world would feel better than that.

Hi JohnB and berfles,

Thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts and experiences with the 10" Tuft and Needle.

It’s good to see some feedback about them because they are so new and I appreciate that both of you took the time to share your feedback.

Phoenix

I’ll post more thoughts after I sleep on it, one thing I really liked though was how fast it popped into shape. I didn’t read the other comments here so they may have mentioned it, but as soon as I punctured the bag it started hissing and “inflating”. My parents bought a memory foam mattress from Sam’s Club and it took almost a full day to plump up 90%, and even this one says 2-3 hours but it was literally 1-2 minutes.

Also, I ordered on March 15, the first stitch went in on March 18, and I received it today, April 4. 21 days total, but I did order on a weekend.