The Adventure Begins--CozyPure Visit Monday

Fabulous site. I have learned so much. Two main things I’ve come away with after a lot of reading: (1) it’s got to be a latex mattress, and (2) CozyPure is as good a place to start as any, based on all the positive comments I’ve seen about the company and its products.

It’ll be a three hour drive to get to the Norfolk, VA showroom. Hans is supposed to be there and I look forward to meeting him. Every comment I’ve read regarding Hans is positive. I spoke to someone from the company about this visit and that person stressed that CozyPure does not do the hard sell and that we could take all the time we need in the store.

I’ve been looking for the perfect mattress a long time. I hope my search ends at CozyPure. The one thing that concerns me is that it’s impossible to make the “right” decision based on lying on a mattress in a store for however long. All you can do is do the research, visit the salesroom, ask the right questions, see how the mattress feels, and if all those things raise no red flags, take the leap–and hope. Yes, there is a return policy, but returning the mattress is a pain and it means starting another search.

Hi Mills1428,

You’re certainly heading in a great direction and I think it will be well worth the drive.

If you follow the testing guidelines then your odds will be much higher that careful and objective testing will do a good job of predicting your real life sleeping experience and help you make a choice that is close enough to your ideal that only some relatively minor fine tuning is needed after a purchase.

I’m looking forward to your feedback after your trip :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I am surprised at the 30 day return window at CozyPure .Isn’t 90 days the norm?

Hi Mills1428,

I don’t think there is a “norm” and each retailer or manufacturer can have a different policy and this would be part of each person’s personal value equation.

The cost of a return (or exchange policy) is built into the cost of the mattress and some retailers or manufacturers don’t allow returns at all (it would be less important for a local purchase that you can test than it would for an online purchase that you can’t test ahead of time).

I think for most people 30 days would be enough time to decide if a mattress is a good “match” for you in terms of PPP.

Phoenix

This makes sense.

Again, what a wonderful resource this site–and you–are. I’d wager you are one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding the topic of mattresses. And I must compliment you as well on the site’s organization and comprehensiveness. I wonder how many people who visit here have any conception of the enormous amount of work that went into building themattressunderground.com from the ground up.

A tip of the hat in recognition of your accomplishment.

Hi Mills1428,

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

It’s been many hours of time and effort but it’s also been a labor of love over the years since it began and I’ve also had the chance to meet some great people along the way and of course comments like yours are also a big part of why I get up in the morning and start typing again.

There is still a long way to go before the site is where I want it to be but the more people the information here is able to help as it develops the bigger the smile on my face!

Phoenix

Don’t forget to ask for your TMU discount should you buy your mattress. Hans will probably give you the 20% cuddle up discount on accessories including toppers, sheets, mattress cover, pillow cases, etc.

CozyPure has made some changes to their mattresses since we bought ours 16 months ago. They have a new sculpted latex top layer now and a new design of their mattress covers. Don’t forget to try a Lanoodle topper. You should have beautiful weather for a scenic trip. The store is small but “green.” You can’t miss the wind turbine or the solar panels. Hope you find a suitable mattress.

Cautionary note: there are variations on their street address, so you have to enter it accurately in your GPS. or you will find yourself someplace else.

A low-key store, which I like. Hans answers your questions then leaves you be. He doesn’t hover the way so many salesmen do. I’ll confirm what everybody else has said about the experience: there is no pressure, no hard sell, no real sell at all. Again, which I appreciate. You never get that feeling that you really have to buy something because you were there so long.

I had determined beforehand I would commit that day only if I was really comfortable about the purchase. (It is a heck of a lot of money.) And I did commit after a little over two hours in the store: I’m pretty certain I found the right mattress: price increases were coming in January; I got in under the wire on a sale; and Hans went out of his way to help save me money on accessories. He did this on his own initiative, which was impressive.

I had prepared properly, reading through basically this entire fabulous site. I probably overprepared. It does save time to go into this situation knowing the pros and con (price) of latex, layering options and considerations, and so on that are so thoroughly covered here. So I didn’t need to be “educated” about latex. I did think there would be involved discussions on how to get the comfort layer and support layer just right.

Not so. Unless you have special needs, the big decision, I think, is the level of softness you want in the comfort layer (top). I knew from this site that too firm in that layer might be a mistake, so I remained open to softness, though that went against the grain for me. There were five or six mattresses on the floor with different configurations. I settled (literally, figuratively) on three and finally decided on the Performance Plus (5-Zone Core plus 3" Medium-Soft Comfort Layer).

What convinced me to go medium-soft on top was the sensation that I was “sinking in” sufficiently so that my body was being cradled while the core provided support. I urge anyone who thinks “firm, just firm” to consider the importance of an adequate comfort layer. Anyway, there was no need to go crazy trying multiple configurations, at least for me.

Read the returns policy carefully. Yes, you can return the mattress within thirty days as long as it isn’t used. You can’t try it and then return it. Same as underwear. Makes sense.

Did I make the right choice? To be continued.

TDI HOO: I did get the discount.

Hi Mills1428,

Thanks for the feedback about your experiences … it’s always great to see the difference between a manufacturer that helps to guide and educate and goes out of their way to provide a “no pressure experience” vs so many of the mainstream stores where the emphasis is on selling you “something/anything” that they can before you leave the store.

It sounds to me like your preparation and research served you well and you made a great choice … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Almost two weeks since the mattress was delivered; time enough to offer a review about the mattress and the whole experience.

The mattress: I chose the Performance Plus (5-Zone Core plus 3" Medium-Soft Comfort Layer). I was a little concerned the first few days that the comfort layer would prove too soft, despite my epiphany at the showroom that too soft is as bad as too firm. Two weeks in, the thought still pops into my head when I get into bed at night, but it disappears as soon as I settle in. Yes, you sink down a little, but it isn’t the same sensation as sinking down on a discounted $150 mattress from the Acme Sleep Shop. The core does kick in and I get the support I need without feeling I’m lying on a sheet of plywood.

Delivery: Nice Fed Ex guy. Wheeled the mattress right into the garage. With help, I was able to muscle it another 25 feet into the bedroom and get it onto the frame. Not easy. We’re talking almost 200 pounds (a king). If you’re going upstairs with a mattress like this, you’re going to need three or four people. It does bend around corners, and that helps.

The bedframe: I think it’s short-sighted to buy something this expensive and not have a bedframe that supports this heavy mattress properly. Cozypure could deliver the mattress in a week, but the bedframe from their supplier would have taken considerably longer. So I went to Savvy Rest (located only minutes from my house) and bought the frame from them. Comparable price, meaning not cheap. No negotiation. But they had the item in stock, their warehouse is located in my town, and they could deliver with a day’s notice. They came when they said they would, put the frame together where I wanted it, set the slats, and removed materials. Pleasant and efficient people.

Cozypure accessories: The sheets, the comforter, the pillows–got them all and I’m glad I did. I’m not into the organic aspect, really, but to paraphrase Napoleon (“If you start to take Vienna, take Vienna”), if you’re going to go organic, go organic. Everything’s quality and it feels good.

Negatives:

The Cozypure delivery came in two boxes, one with the mattress and the other with accessories. If Cozypure fell down anywhere, it was in how they shipped this expensive purchase. The accessories box looked like it had been shipped from Shanghai and stored in the hold of a tramp steamer. It was partially ripped and open. The stuff inside was still sealed, so no problem.

The mattress box looked like it was on its 35th go round. I was concerned that the mattress itself had been breached, which turned out not to be the case. But jeez, when you spend almost $4000 on something, you expect it to arrive packaged carefully enough to virtually ensure it hasn’t been damaged in transit. It’s not clear I can attach pictures to this post, but I’ll try.

Hi Mills1428,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback and experience … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I’m glad your mattress survived the journey intact. Some of the courier deliveries I’ve received makes me wonder if there is any kind of packaging that couriers aren’t capable of destroying!

Phoenix

Respectfully, I must register some doubt that FedEx was completely at fault for the state the boxes (mattress, accessories) were in after the 150 or so mile journey from the store to my house. The picture is pretty stark: the box is not in that condition because it went from truck to truck. It looks like it was dropped from a plane. And the accessories box was worse–it’s a wonder nothing fell out of it during shipment.

CozyPure makes a first -class product, shipped, in my case, like parcel post. That makes no sense to me.

Hi Mills,

I read you got the Cozy Pure wool duvet/comforter and I am wondering how you like it? I have been looking at some of the accessories from their website to go with a new latex mattress I purchased.

Thanks

Still deciding. It’s warm, yes, but over time have found it to be bulkier and heavier than I had imagined. Even using sheet clips, it’s hard to keep the comforter situated in the corners of the cover.

Did you ever find a wool,comforter you like? Im looking for an organic wool comforter now