The Alexander Hybrid Signature Select Mattress Has Arrived!

Hi Melanie_KE,

Yes … they’ve changed the designs of all of the Alexander series and the Love Bed.

Phoenix

As the owner of a hybrid that I am in the process of returning, I find myself somewhat surprised that they have already changed the design on what was their newest mattress. When I visited their store, no mention was made of the redesign of any of their mattresses.

I am also in the process of returning mine and honestly the new specs seem more like a website correction as based on the feel of the mattress it much more closely resembles the new specs. I even measured the height of the coils since you can feel them from the side and I got 8" not 6" like the original specs would indicate. This also likely explains why the mattress feels more like a traditional mattress and less like the TempurFlex line I was hoping for. I wonder if there was some sort of miscommunication between them and their supplier on the final specs.

Good to see they are adding better edge support to the regular Alexander line though as that was likely a major factor pushing people to the hybrid in the first place.

Hi Loiroi,

Most manufacturers wouldn’t “announce” a new design until it had already happened so this wouldn’t be in any way unusual. Some people will probably like the new design more and some will probably like it less and there are many different considerations involved in any design change … including feedback from customers that may “point to” a design change that will lead to a higher percentage of overall satisfaction.

@ zexpress,

In this case the mattress is actually different from their previous version and isn’t just a description correction.

The improved edge support in the regular Alexander line comes from a firmer base layer but as far as I know isn’t the result of a specific edge support system (such as firmer foam on the outer perimeter of the mattress).

Phoenix

I’m not sure if I received the old or new specs with my hybrid mattress. I do know that I sleep well on my back but not on my sides, so I am leaning towards a trade-in for a softer mattress after my break-in period.

Hi Scoaste,

I think that orders before about March 20th or so would have been the previous version.

Phoenix

Is there a thread I missed that went over all the updates to the Nest line? I’d love to see what all is new for the regular Alexander line and Love Beds

Hi Tetril,

There isn’t a forum topic that outlines the specific changes but the new specs are all available either on their site or with a phone call to Nest Bedding.

Phoenix

I have the new version of this bed. We received it about a week ago. I researched a bed for us for weeks and landed on the Alexander Hybrid because it seemed to be the perfect compromise for me (side sleeper) and my husband (back sleeper). Not sure if my issues are entirely due to the change in factory and specs. I called and was told that is what happened and why their beds were all redesigned. Anywho… I have the new version and our issues are as follows:

• chemical smell did not go away and i am waking up with headaches each morning (not one to get headaches) and I have all cotton bedding on the bed (zero polyester)
  • we’ve both woken up sweating (like soaked)

The bed did alleviate my sore hips from the pressure points created in our old traditional mattress. I don’t feel it is as soft as other reviews, but that could be because they obviously decreased the amount of foam support in the new version. They also decreased the copper foam which may be leading to the extra hot sleeping situation.

Anyone else having these issues?

Hi Bmoney,

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments and experience.

When you change the specs of a mattress then it could be better for some people and worse for others although a redesign of a mattress would usually be intended to increase the percentage of people that would sleep well on the mattress. The only way to know for certain whether one mattress is a better “match” for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) than another one would be based on your own actual experience on both of them.

I would keep in mind that softness (like taste) is very subjective and different people can have very different perceptions of firmness and softness compared to others as well and a mattress that feels firm for one person can feel like “medium” for someone else or even “soft” for someone else (or vice versa) depending on their body type, sleeping style, physiology, their frame of reference based on what they are used to, and their individual sensitivity and perceptions. There are also different types of firmness and softness that different people may be sensitive to that can affect how they “rate” a mattress as well (see post #15 here) so different people can also have very different opinions on how two mattresses compare in terms of firmness and some people may rate one mattress as being firmer than another and someone else may rate them the other way around. This is all relative and very subjective and is as much an art as a science.

While it’s also not possible to quantify the sleeping temperature of a mattress for any particular person with any real accuracy because there are so many variables involved including the type of mattress protector and the sheets and bedding that you use (which in many cases can have just as significant an effect on sleeping temperature as the type of foam in a mattress) and on where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range and because there is no standardized testing for temperature regulation with different combinations of materials … there is more about the many variables that can affect the sleeping temperature of a mattress or sleeping system in post #2 here that can help you choose the types of materials and components that are most likely to keep you in a comfortable temperature range.

While only a minority of people will have temperature regulation issues with memory foam to the degree that they would be uncomfortable … there is a higher percentage of people that sleep hot with memory foam than other types of foam materials and if you tend to sleep hot then the odds are also higher that you may be one of them.

You will generally find that no matter what issues a specific person may have on any mattress in the industry here will be almost always be some other people that share the same or similar issues … and of course many others that don’t.

Phoenix

Thanks for your response. Everyone is different so my review is for those sensitive to chemicals. For them, the Alexander Hybrid omits chemicals that smell bad and the off-gassing will certainly bother those that are sensitive. In addition, those sensitive to sleeping hot will be miserable in this mattress as it is like being wrapped in saran wrap.

Since the company removed 3 inches of comfort layer, you sink straight to the coils if you aren’t average weight. We were told this bed was great for heavy sleepers - that may have been true, but NOT since they redesigned the bed and removed the extra inches of support. Our order came in under the wire and we were shipped the new version with the reduced comfort layer.

Bummer… I wanted to love the Alexander Hybrid, but the headaches and sweating are too much for us.

[quote=“BMoney” post=62605]Thanks for your response. Everyone is different so my review is for those sensitive to chemicals. For them, the Alexander Hybrid omits chemicals that smell bad and the off-gassing will certainly bother those that are sensitive. In addition, those sensitive to sleeping hot will be miserable in this mattress as it is like being wrapped in saran wrap.

Since the company removed 3 inches of comfort layer, you sink straight to the coils if you aren’t average weight. We were told this bed was great for heavy sleepers - that may have been true, but NOT since they redesigned the bed and removed the extra inches of support. Our order came in under the wire and we were shipped the new version with the reduced comfort layer.

Bummer… I wanted to love the Alexander Hybrid, but the headaches and sweating are too much for us.[/quote]

I had the so called original model and also felt you sank right to the coils. To this day I still don’t think the original model had 6" of memory foam. Either way Near was great at handling the return so it all worked out in the end.

What did you buy after this? I am now leaning towards latex to avoid the chemicals.

My plan is to go local with something from one of the two Houston based mattress factories.

Hi BMoney,

Every new mattress that contains any foam materials (and many that don’t) will contain “chemicals” and will also have some initial smell. Even water is a “chemical” so the real issue is whether any initial smell or offgassing is harmful not whether it contains any “chemicals” or has any odor at all.

Some people are also more sensitive to certain smells than others and a mattress has an initial smell that would be strong or objectionable to some people may be barely noticeable or wouldn’t bother others. In most cases … any initial smell from a mattress will be reduced to levels that most people don’t notice over the course of the first few days.

The only reliable way to to assess the “safety” of different materials in more general terms is based on lab tests and the certifications they have for harmful substances and VOCs so that you have some assurance than the VOCs are below the testing limits for the certification (see post #2 here for more information about some of the more reliable “safety” certifications). If the materials in a mattress or the mattress itself has a reliable “safety” certification then for most people they would certainly be “safe enough” … regardless of the type of material or the name of the manufacturer on the label or any initial smell.

Nest Bedding is CertiPUR certified so they would certainly be “safe enough” for most people.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/for-consumers/find-products/

As I mentioned in my previous reply … I would keep in mind that there are many reasons outside of the mattress itself that could be the reason you are sleeping hot (such as your mattress protector) and a mattress that some people sleep hot on may be fine for most other people. While there are certainly some people who can sleep hot on any type of memory foam … most people don’t have temperature regulation issues on most of the newer generation of memory foams.

While other people’s comments about the knowledge and service of a particular business can certainly be very helpful, I would always keep in mind that you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress and I would be cautious about about using anyone else’s suggestions, experiences or reviews on a specific mattress (either positive or negative) or review sites in general as a reliable source of information or guidance about how you will feel on the same mattress or how suitable or how durable a mattress may be for you and in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful because a mattress that would be a perfect choice for one person or even a larger group of people may be completely unsuitable for someone else to sleep on (even if they are in a similar weight range). In other words … reviews in general won’t tell you much if anything about the suitability, quality, durability, or “value” of a mattress for any particular person (see post #13 here).

I can certainly understand that your mattress doesn’t appear to be a good “match” for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your own Personal preferences) but I would always keep in mind that your comments would only apply to your own experience and not to anyone else that sleeps on the same mattress and that the only way to know whether a mattress will be a suitable choice for someone else will be based on their own personal experience when they sleep on the mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks… but maybe chemicals “safe enough” isn’t enough. Too bad I don’t have chemical testing super powers to report on what is being omitted into my bedroom from the Alexander Hybrid, but my head sure hurts! Keep up the good work posting non-biased reviews in a complicated space full of people saying a mattress is great just to get some cash from the company making the mattress. Glad you aren’t doing that! :wink:

Hi BMoney,

I would agree with you that it’s certainly possible that a small minority of people that have some medical conditions (such as MCS or multiple chemical sensitivities) or that for other reasons are more sensitive than most may still be sensitive to some types of memory foam that would be fine for the large majority of people. You can see the CertiPUR testing limits here so at least you have some assurance that any VOC’s would be less than the testing limits which for most people would certainly be “safe enough”.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/CertiPUR-US_Technical_Guidelines_1-1-2016.pdf

As I mentioned … I generally encourage people to disregard reviews (positive or negative) and use more objective, “fact based” and meaningful criteria that would apply to any mattress in the industry as the basis for their choice which is one of the reasons that this site doesn’t even have a review section.

Phoenix

I live near Nest Bedding in NYC, so was able to test their beds. I chose the Alexander Hybrid, which I set up last week. Compared to other hybrids and full latex models, it was fairly economical (plus they gave $200 off as a promo, since they changed the design in March).

I’ve read the above posts and all I can say is that one opinion can be very different than another! When I opened the bed (it comes in a compact rectangular box), I did not detect any chemical smell, but to be on the safe side, I kept it uncovered with the windows opened for a day. No smell at all (be sure to wash all new mattress covers and sheets) from the first night till today. To my wife and I (130lb and 175lb), the mattress is definitely on the soft side (I couldn’t imagine buying a softer mattress) but it feels extremely comfy (note, we are also side sleepers generally). We came off of a 14 year old “Backcare” Simmons, which had started causes some minor back and hip pain in the morning, and have not had any pain since the Nest.

The Hybrid also does not sleep hot in the least (and the weather has been quite warm of late) to either of us.

The only negative for us is that the edge support is nowhere as good as our old mattress or other full innerspring mattresses we have. Nest states that the new design offers better edge support than their old one, so I glad at least that this is better :cheer:

Also bought a pair of their Easy Breather pillows, which while pricey are fantastic.

Hi GIGmatty,

Thanks for letting us know what you ended up deciding … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Memory foam is generally less costly than latex but it’s also good to hear that you did some local testing to check your original criteria (which included microcoils and latex) to find out that you preferred a memory foam/pocket coil hybrid vs a latex/pocket coil hybrid or a hybrid that included microcoils.

Truer words were never spoken … and this is one of the reasons that I suggest avoiding mattress reviews or other people’s experience on a mattress (either positive or negative) as a reliable way to assess whether the same mattress will be a good choice for any particular person in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP (see post #13 here) because different people can have very different experiences on the same mattress.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback

Phoenix

MSW, may I ask how your ASH has held up? We are looking at buying one. Thank you!