The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi TimDorsey,

I’m not sure which frame you have but the Mantua SP50G (The Sealy Posturepedic queen bedframe) is rated for 1000 lbs not 500 (see post #6 here) so it would likely be fine. If you have a different frame then if you can identify what it is then Mantua will tell you its weight capacity. If it’s the bedframe that is the cause of your squeaking then making sure it is put together correctly, tightening any loose bolts, or applying some lubricant to any parts that are rubbing together that are the source of your squeak should solve the problem.

Your foundation on the other hand appears to be a bigger issue since it appears that it isn’t a good match for your bedframe as far as the points of contact and the suitable load bearing points and in addition to this the slats appear to be too far apart … especially for a latex mattress. With a foundation like this it would be better to have a bedframe with cross members instead of a center support that runs from head to toe but you would still have the issue of the distance between the slats even if it was well supported. This is the part of your support system that I would probably want to replace.

I’m not sure which retailer you are dealing with and I don’t have any special methods of dealing with them (outside of being polite but firm and insistent about the issues you have) but I would probably ask to speak with the owner or someone that is a little higher up the chain of command and explain to them what the issues are and that you would rather work with them than have to do a chargeback. If there are no other alternatives when you have a reasonable issue and can’t resolve the issue more cooperatively then a chargeback may be the only option available to you.

Most of the KD foundations that have a single center support and a suitable slat distance (less than 3") would hold well over 1000 lbs and would be suitable for higher weights but the strength of a bedframe also depends on the type of wood, the overall design, and the width and strength of the slats so a single center beam wouldn’t be an issue if the frame was designed to hold the weight that you were placing on it. The first post in this topic includes several foundations that have a stronger construction with narrower gaps or wider slats that would certainly be suitable but they are also in a higher price range. There are also some heavy duty foundations that use double center beams, more slats with narrower gaps, or that have more slats in the center of the foundation that would also work well so you could check with your retailer of they carry any of these.

Phoenix