The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Do you consider the ones you linked in post 1 under “less expensive options” to be among the “better ones”? The Glideaway one (11 wires) looks interesting, but I can’t find a single review for it. I would assume the one sold on BB’s website should be good as well since they’re selling it, but again, not sure how long people have been using them for- I don’t really want to have to replace it in a year or two.

Hi humpback,

I would consider the ones with more wires and smaller spacing in the grid to be among the “better ones”.

I don’t expect that any of these would have a durability issue.

None of these have been in use for very long so actual long term “real life” experience would not be available.

Phoenix

This looks like it may be a good option. http://www.usboxspring.com/metal.htm I am fairly certain I am going to purchase the IKEA Sultan Edsele latex mattress. However I would like a foundation to add height as well as have proper support. After all of the reading, the Sultan Laxeby slatted foundation sounds like a good choice, but does not add the height :frowning: Would the frame in your link shown above work with an IKEA bed mattress and bed frame such as this?
Products - IKEA

Hi needanewbed,

The foundation would work fine for any foam mattress latex or otherwise including the Edsele.

The Ikea beds though may be a little shorter and narrower than standard so I would measure them carefully and make sure you have the accurate measurements of the foundation to make sure it will fit the bedframe.

Phoenix

Hi - first post. I’m looking for info on adjustable foundations, specifically the ergomotion. I can’t seem to find out how the surface of the foundation is made. Is it solid or slats or wires or what? In fact every brand of adjustable bed has the surface covered and I haven’t found one that talks about what the surface actually is. I going to buy latex mattress, probably from from sleepez, and would like to know if the adjustable foundation would allow the bed to breath. As I read in the first post, the best foundation is the one recommended by the manufacturer. Sleepez recommends slats. Thanks for any help!

Hi jambro,

The Reverie, Ergomotion, Leggett & Platt and others all have solid surfaces. I don’t know what the surface is made of (probably MDF or Plywood)

There are a few other adjustable beds that have a ventilated surface such as http://www.axelbloom.com/los-angeles-beds/

As you can see in post #10 here though … I think that a slatted foundation is the best choice unless there is a compelling reason to choose something else. In my own case … wanting an adjustable bed was a compelling reason and make any additional risk of a less breathable surface worth it to me.

Phoenix

I am looking for a King sized mattress and am looking at either a Latex or a Memory Foam bed. In reading through numerous forum posts I think I may be more confused now about all the different options. I had looked at getting a iComfort until I was put off by a salesman and started doing more of my own research. It brought me to this site and the information as been great, but a little much to take in over a day or two. My wife and I are both tall and sleep on our sides and stomachs mostly, while I sleep on my back occasionally, but only because our current mattress is terrible. I am 180lbs and she is about 140lbs. We are looking for a softer top layer but still provides sufficient support after that cradle feeling has sunk in. I am going to visit the OMF this weekend and see their options for latex and memory foam beds.

Currently I am looking at the BB Bamboo Bliss or some model from SleepEZ, but I noticed that there is foam over latex over foam and wondered what this impact would have on comfort and longevity. I have read on SLTD that the foam over latex makes for a less than desirable bed and was curious of your thoughts on that.

Secondly, I purchased flexible slats (SULTAN LURÖY from Ikea) with the intention of using it on the iComfort, but now I am thinking it would be unnecessary with either of my newer choices and potentially a mistake. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi Braphie,

the first place to start is always post #1 here. This links to all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will need to make the best possible decision.

A polyfoam comfort layer over latex is certainly not a good idea (unless the polyfoam is very high quality) because it would usually become the weak link of the mattress. Having a polyfoam quilting layer though in the range of an inch or so is usually fine in terms of durability because with a layer this thin and because it’s already pre-compressed with the quilting then softening would not normally be an issue and it can provide a surface feel that some people like.

Foam mattresses (memory foam, latex, latex hybrids etc) usually do best with a firm, rigid, non flexing foundation. The exception may be a thinner mattress that may be too firm by itself and needs some extra flex or “give” underneath it. I would normally stick with a firm non flexing foundation though unless the mattress manufacturer specifically recommends or has designed the mattress to be used with something else or unless you have tested a mattress both ways and it’s clearly better for you with a flexing foundation underneath it. In other words you could always try it but the Luroy wouldn’t be the ideal for any of the mattresses you are looking at (and probably wouldn’t have been for the iComfort either).

Phoenix

So I realized after reading several more posts that the BB memory foam or Latex beds are very similar other than the top comfort layer. I am trying to confirm that as I type this, but their site is down. I think that I have decided on the brand, now I just need to figure out the model. Are their any negatives to having the latex over foam?

I am curious about the slats I purchased and wondering if I need to return them and use something more static seeing it could negatively impact the mattress.

I appreciate this site and all the work you have put into this. I am curious to know which mattress you went with personally, but that may be an unfair request so you do not alienate all the other brands.

Hi Braphie,

Their site is back up it seems.

Whether there are “negatives” or “positives” depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing a latex hybrid to an all latex mattress for example you can see a comparison here.

On the latex hybrid mattresses on their own site … each of their 3 hybrid models has a different benefit as you go up the line. The Cotton Camilla is the basic model (similar to the Eurotop on the Amazon site). The cover has wool in the second model up (Bamboo Bliss) and there are two layers of latex that can be customized in the third (Aloe Alexis). One benefit of having latex on top is that the top layers are generally the “weak link” of a mattress and this way you have the most durable material in the layer where durability is most important.

I think you can return it to Ikea but they could tell you for sure. My thoughts about it are in the last reply.

I designed my own mattress and had it built to my specs so it wouldn’t be available for someone else to purchase anyway. You can see the details here.

Phoenix

I have ab 11 yr old poly foam mattress which is extremely hard, I call it the brick, which is impossible to sleep on it is so hard. It has been used for these 11years as a base or foundation for various mattresses, toppers, tallalay and such, and therefore has not, I would think, been broken down much. It certainly feels quite evenly solid. The layers above it. have been 6-8 inches thick. We paid $300 for a king size but found it so hard used it as as a base layer and then cut it in half with a chain saw [is this a first i wonder?] to use on 2 twin XLs when my wife could no longer stand my pulling the covers off her every night in my sleep.This sits on an inner spring mattress which seems in good shape as well, also 11 yr. old. My question is- does this seem to be a good enough foundation for most any 12-13" mattress I might put over it? Seems to me maybe all I need is something firm, perhaps a base which doesn’t interact much with the mattress. I’m thinking of a select foam or tallalay mattress from one of your members. Thnx.

Hi church11,

That sounds like a really strange sleeping system. If I read what you are saying correctly you have an innerspring mattress with your firm mattress over that with another 6 - 8" of foam over that? WOW.

I would not use this under a foam mattress no. Foam mattresses generally do best with a rigid non flexing support system under it not more foam or innersprings or another mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I am almost decided upon a Aloe Alexis, but just wanted to know if there is any other information having to do with overall weight on a mattress of 350 lbs with my wife and I together for premature degrading of the foam. Most posts I have seen seem to talk about either one large person or two smaller people, while we are more just average. Not sure if I missed any of these other posts or it is a non-issue, but it could be the difference in me going full latex verse a hybrid.

No,no,no. I misspoke. On bottom is a 8" BOXSPRING, not an innerspring mattress. On top of that is the very hard 6" poly foam mattress. How would that be as a foundation for a 12" mattress. It’s quite firm. If not firm enough I could put one of those breathable 1-2" things you recommended Once- like plywood? But breathable?

Hi Braphie,

Weight concentration is more important than overall weight and you are well inside an average weight range. When one or both people are heavier they compress the foam much more on their side and this mechanical compression would have an effect on durability. The upper layers always compress more than the deeper layers so the effect of heavier weights on durability and which layers are most affected depends on how deeply into the mattress someone sinks.

You can see a comparison between a latex hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here. The durability difference with two layers would be less (the lowest layer is the one that compresses the least) but there would still be a performance difference between them because latex is more adaptable to different weights and sleeping positions but the difference would be less with two layers of latex than with only one.

You can also see some thoughts about thicker layers or mattresses in post #14 here and more latex vs less would have similar benefits.

So it really is a tradeoff that depends on your own budget and on the importance of performance benefits that for most people (unless they were quite light) would be less but still noticeable.

Phoenix

Hi church11,

I wouldn’t use a boxspring (unless the mattress was designed for it) or 6" of polyfoam much less the two together because both of them will flex under your mattress. Together they would flex even more. A foam mattress does best with a firm non flexing foundation so that the compression happens on top of the mattress not underneath it.

Phoenix

Ok, how about something like 5/8" plywood or something similarly rigid on top of the poly?I need the height. I’ve tried the ply wood and it doesn’t
Seem to flex.

Phoenix,

This is a great help. I just have to see what my wife likes and we can make a purchase. We are ready to move out of the guest room…

Hi church11,

If you’re satisfied that it’s firm enough (no give or very little give when you press in with your knee) then the firm poly with either the plywood or the bed rug you mentioned earlier may be OK. For that matter the box spring even without a piece of plywood or bed rug may be OK as well if it has no soft spots or is very firm (you can test this with your knee as well).

While neither one are ideal … there isn’t any harm in trying.

Phoenix

MAJOR SUCCESS. After pretty much giving up on my DIY efforts after months of trying dozens of combinations and planning to buy a mattress I tried one last thing- last night i put my wife’s 3" 14 ILD tally(for the 1st time) over my new 3 “tal. 28 ILD over my new 3” 38 ILD(from 24/7-talatech), which was over the 6" hard polyfoam over the boxspring and woke up completely PAINFREE for the first time in a very long time. The only problem seemed to be that the combination was a little too floaty-too much flexing?- so tonight I am putting the plywood on top of the polyfoam.
Now, when you say:

“If you’re satisfied that it’s firm enough (no give or very little give when you press in with your knee) then the firm poly with either the plywood or the bed rug you mentioned earlier may be OK. For that matter the box spring even without a piece of plywood or bed rug may be OK as well if it has no soft spots or is very firm (you can test this with your knee as well).”

what do you mean when you say press with your knee? press what? the plywood is absolutely rigid. Pressing on the poly or the boxpring results in some flexing but pressing on the plywood is like pressing on the floor. Except each of the four sides gives a little because the poly is not completely rigid.
Anyway, we’ll see what happens with the plywood. Maybe my DIY will work. Next replace her 14ILD with her 20-25 ILD and see which is better. Can’t wait.
then I’ll have to decide whether to buy a 2" or 3" topper and maybe consider a gel infused mf from selectfoam since sometimes I sweat a lot. how much cooler, if at all if that mf than my tally?