The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi Braphie,

Their site is back up it seems.

Whether there are “negatives” or “positives” depends on what you are comparing it to. If you are comparing a latex hybrid to an all latex mattress for example you can see a comparison here.

On the latex hybrid mattresses on their own site … each of their 3 hybrid models has a different benefit as you go up the line. The Cotton Camilla is the basic model (similar to the Eurotop on the Amazon site). The cover has wool in the second model up (Bamboo Bliss) and there are two layers of latex that can be customized in the third (Aloe Alexis). One benefit of having latex on top is that the top layers are generally the “weak link” of a mattress and this way you have the most durable material in the layer where durability is most important.

I think you can return it to Ikea but they could tell you for sure. My thoughts about it are in the last reply.

I designed my own mattress and had it built to my specs so it wouldn’t be available for someone else to purchase anyway. You can see the details here.

Phoenix

I have ab 11 yr old poly foam mattress which is extremely hard, I call it the brick, which is impossible to sleep on it is so hard. It has been used for these 11years as a base or foundation for various mattresses, toppers, tallalay and such, and therefore has not, I would think, been broken down much. It certainly feels quite evenly solid. The layers above it. have been 6-8 inches thick. We paid $300 for a king size but found it so hard used it as as a base layer and then cut it in half with a chain saw [is this a first i wonder?] to use on 2 twin XLs when my wife could no longer stand my pulling the covers off her every night in my sleep.This sits on an inner spring mattress which seems in good shape as well, also 11 yr. old. My question is- does this seem to be a good enough foundation for most any 12-13" mattress I might put over it? Seems to me maybe all I need is something firm, perhaps a base which doesn’t interact much with the mattress. I’m thinking of a select foam or tallalay mattress from one of your members. Thnx.

Hi church11,

That sounds like a really strange sleeping system. If I read what you are saying correctly you have an innerspring mattress with your firm mattress over that with another 6 - 8" of foam over that? WOW.

I would not use this under a foam mattress no. Foam mattresses generally do best with a rigid non flexing support system under it not more foam or innersprings or another mattress.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I am almost decided upon a Aloe Alexis, but just wanted to know if there is any other information having to do with overall weight on a mattress of 350 lbs with my wife and I together for premature degrading of the foam. Most posts I have seen seem to talk about either one large person or two smaller people, while we are more just average. Not sure if I missed any of these other posts or it is a non-issue, but it could be the difference in me going full latex verse a hybrid.

No,no,no. I misspoke. On bottom is a 8" BOXSPRING, not an innerspring mattress. On top of that is the very hard 6" poly foam mattress. How would that be as a foundation for a 12" mattress. It’s quite firm. If not firm enough I could put one of those breathable 1-2" things you recommended Once- like plywood? But breathable?

Hi Braphie,

Weight concentration is more important than overall weight and you are well inside an average weight range. When one or both people are heavier they compress the foam much more on their side and this mechanical compression would have an effect on durability. The upper layers always compress more than the deeper layers so the effect of heavier weights on durability and which layers are most affected depends on how deeply into the mattress someone sinks.

You can see a comparison between a latex hybrid and an all latex mattress in post #2 here. The durability difference with two layers would be less (the lowest layer is the one that compresses the least) but there would still be a performance difference between them because latex is more adaptable to different weights and sleeping positions but the difference would be less with two layers of latex than with only one.

You can also see some thoughts about thicker layers or mattresses in post #14 here and more latex vs less would have similar benefits.

So it really is a tradeoff that depends on your own budget and on the importance of performance benefits that for most people (unless they were quite light) would be less but still noticeable.

Phoenix

Hi church11,

I wouldn’t use a boxspring (unless the mattress was designed for it) or 6" of polyfoam much less the two together because both of them will flex under your mattress. Together they would flex even more. A foam mattress does best with a firm non flexing foundation so that the compression happens on top of the mattress not underneath it.

Phoenix

Ok, how about something like 5/8" plywood or something similarly rigid on top of the poly?I need the height. I’ve tried the ply wood and it doesn’t
Seem to flex.

Phoenix,

This is a great help. I just have to see what my wife likes and we can make a purchase. We are ready to move out of the guest room…

Hi church11,

If you’re satisfied that it’s firm enough (no give or very little give when you press in with your knee) then the firm poly with either the plywood or the bed rug you mentioned earlier may be OK. For that matter the box spring even without a piece of plywood or bed rug may be OK as well if it has no soft spots or is very firm (you can test this with your knee as well).

While neither one are ideal … there isn’t any harm in trying.

Phoenix

MAJOR SUCCESS. After pretty much giving up on my DIY efforts after months of trying dozens of combinations and planning to buy a mattress I tried one last thing- last night i put my wife’s 3" 14 ILD tally(for the 1st time) over my new 3 “tal. 28 ILD over my new 3” 38 ILD(from 24/7-talatech), which was over the 6" hard polyfoam over the boxspring and woke up completely PAINFREE for the first time in a very long time. The only problem seemed to be that the combination was a little too floaty-too much flexing?- so tonight I am putting the plywood on top of the polyfoam.
Now, when you say:

“If you’re satisfied that it’s firm enough (no give or very little give when you press in with your knee) then the firm poly with either the plywood or the bed rug you mentioned earlier may be OK. For that matter the box spring even without a piece of plywood or bed rug may be OK as well if it has no soft spots or is very firm (you can test this with your knee as well).”

what do you mean when you say press with your knee? press what? the plywood is absolutely rigid. Pressing on the poly or the boxpring results in some flexing but pressing on the plywood is like pressing on the floor. Except each of the four sides gives a little because the poly is not completely rigid.
Anyway, we’ll see what happens with the plywood. Maybe my DIY will work. Next replace her 14ILD with her 20-25 ILD and see which is better. Can’t wait.
then I’ll have to decide whether to buy a 2" or 3" topper and maybe consider a gel infused mf from selectfoam since sometimes I sweat a lot. how much cooler, if at all if that mf than my tally?

Hi church11,

That’s great news. At least things seem to be heading in the right direction :slight_smile:

The suggestion was to check on the amount of flex in either the boxspring or the polyfoam by itself (with no plywood on top). Of course if you put the plywood over either one (as you are planning) then there wouldn’t be any flex at all … just some side to side “tilt”. The goal of a rigid support surface is to make sure that the maximum amount of the compression is forced to the top of the mattress which can mean better pressure relief and better support/alignment. The plywood will be less breathable than an innerspring or even polyfoam but this would be a secondary consideration for me (just like in my own case I chose an adjustable bed with a solid surface) because of the benefits that it may provide.

It would depend to some degree on the type of gel memory foam and the ILD of the Talalay but overall Talalay will probably be cooler than gel memory foam over the course of the night (it has greater ventilation which is a “long term” cooling mechanism) but the gel memory foam may be a bit cooler initially (it has higher thermal conduction which is a more “short term” cooling mechanism).

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix - I think I have the same compelling reason that you do - I want one:-) I’ll have to think about it. If it’s good enough for you though…

Hi Phoenix. So, I’ve been sleeping on the 3" of N2 over the 6" of crazy firm for about the last month now and it’s really pretty comfortable. I feel like I could leave it as is and probably be just fine. I do feel like I could occasionally use a little more softness under my shoulders and had been considering getting 1" of N1. My only concern is that I could start having problems with my hips sinking in too far if I do this. Do you think that 1 more inch could cause a problem? Thanks… I’m almost there!

Hi Debbielc21,

Given what you’ve said … I think that the odds say that another 1’ of N1 would likely be fine.

It may also be worth considering something like the Seven Comforts topper or the Cozy Pure Lanoodle both of which can provide some extra softness and pressure relief for pressure points with less risk of alignment issues.

Phoenix

This is great… thanks!

Very helpful information. Thank you for compiling this all together.

One thing to keep in mind in today’s world of heavier mattresses–What you said is very true in that the manufacturer knows what it really needs for supporting their mattress. All of the mattress companies are really cracking down on buyers using sub-standard or old boxes or support systems. AND 75% of the time we as salespeople get accused of adding onto their tick but for a gueen you need a metal frame/support system wit min. of 9 legs that touch the floor and a king min. of 12. Without this support they can and will almost always void out your warrenty if you have a problem. They typically run 100-150 range but it will keep that warrenty in effect. The other thing most buyers do not even think of is you need a waterproof mattress pad/cover. If you gat any stain at all =no warrenty.

Just some food for thought.

So just to double check Ive done my research right, if I get a strong enough bed frame, with gaps no larger than 3 inchs I do NOT need a box spring if I am looking at latex mattressses (specifically the ultimate dreams latex on amazon)?

Also would these work? I had an ikea frame in the past (FJELLSE) with just a spring mattress on it and it worked well for me. Granted that was not a latex which I understand are extremely heavy…

If you cant tell I dont care much for looks and looking for a frame that will give me space underneath and be hopefully under $100 (bold huh). Oh and relatively easy to transport

My fall back option is just simple metal: http://amzn.com/B000ZQALJY

Thanks!!

Hi austriker,

The guideline for slat spacing of 3" or less is a suggestion for an all latex mattress and a latex hybrid with polyfoam in the support layers will generally be fine with bigger gaps because the polyfoam is stiffer and less flexible than latex and has less risk of sinking into wider gaps over time.

I am not familiar with the weight ratings for the Ikea beds or with their specific construction but I would make sure that they were strong enough for the combination of your mattress and the people sleeping on it with plenty of room to spare and that the support materials are good enough quality that they won’t flex, bend or sag under weight over time. I would also make sure that the midbeam had good support to the floor to prevent it from sagging or bowing under weight over time.

If you have any doubt about a specific foundation or are using a foundation that isn’t specifically recommended by a manufacturer … it’s always best to call the manufacturer of your mattress directly to make sure that the foundation you are considering is suitable for your mattress and meets the criteria of their warranty (and this may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer).

The Malouf is very similar to the one that they sell on their site and would be a suitable choice.

Phoenix