The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

What is in the latex hybrid mattress? Is it a combo of the 2 types of latex? Is it 100% natural (vrs. Synthetic)? This is just as important as the foundation/slat question. I put my slats in a foundation specifically made for a latex mattress. that foundation sits on top of the metal bed frame nicely. I definitely wouldn’t use wire under a latex mattress. But ,I don’t know if a latex mattress (even a twin size) could be supported by just the slats sitting on top of the metal bed frame . The latex is heavier than a regular mattress. With a bunk bed , I guess the bottom bed could support a latex mattress if you also used a foundation with wood slats. I got mine on line through Habitat furnishings. The foundation is EZ sleep. As for the top bunk, I would ask the latex mattress place that you are buying from.

Hi Mightyh,

I would always measure to make sure that any support system fits inside your bedframe (they provide the exact dimensions on the site) and you will also need to make sure that there is a way to secure the slats to the frame so that they don’t shift or fall through the frame. If you confirm they will fit and they can be attached securely then douglas fir is a strong wood and you would be fine with either one of the gap sizes as long as the bedframe itself is strong enough to support the weight of the mattress and anyone that sleeps on it.

I haven’t talked with them and don’t know them personally but they certainly appear to be reputable to me.

@PC gal,

Brooklyn Bedding is a completely transparent manufacturer and lists the materials in their mattresses on their website (and will answer any specific questions that their customers have as well) so that all their customers can know exactly what is inside any mattress that they purchase from them.

As you can see here … the slats in your foundation may be a little too far apart to be the best choice for an all latex mattress without an extra set of slats.

Phoenix

Thanks for your response, Phoenix. My son is currently sleeping on the innerspring-over-wire-frame-within-metal-rim set up, so I guess I can assume the metal frame will hold an alternate system? I don’t know how I would otherwise determine the strength of the frame….

I can’t see any way to secure the slats/foundation to the metal rim. The current wire frame just sits inside it.

I did chat with Mario at Brooklyn Bedding and he recommended the Bamboo Bliss, but said the wire frame was not a good foundation option - hence the beginning of my questions! I’m not sure I feel like I’ve figured the answers out, but I appreciate what help you were able to offer.

Hi Mightyh,

[quote]My son is currently sleeping on the innerspring-over-wire-frame-within-metal-rim set up, so I guess I can assume the metal frame will hold an alternate system? I don’t know how I would otherwise determine the strength of the frame….

I can’t see any way to secure the slats/foundation to the metal rim. The current wire frame just sits inside it.[/quote]

Gluing velcro to the frame and to the slats would help prevent them from shifting.

If your frame is a standard size that is the same as a typical steel bedframe (something like these) with a lip on the outside then a standard size foundation in a low profile or a bunkie board or something like this that is the right size to fit snugly inside the metal lip should work well. There is more about foundations and other support systems in the foundation post here.

A foam mattress (such as latex or a latex/polyfoam hybrid) will generally do best with a rigid, non flexing, and evenly supportive support system underneath it. As far as the strength of the bunkbed frame itself and it’s ability to hold the mattress, your support system, and your son, unless you know the weight that it is rated for you would need to use “best judgement” based on the quality and the strength of its construction.

Phoenix

I have my mattress on a ikea base but the slats are too far apart I think its 7" apart… What should I use to fix this? I’m guessing bunky board? Or particle board/MDF?

Hi WadeB,

You can see my thoughts about a solid platform and the restricted airflow under the mattress in post #10 here. If there are no other alternatives though and the other risk factors are low then it would probably be worthwhile adding a sheet of plywood or MDF.

A slat conversion like this would be better yet if it was stable on your base.

Which Ikea base do you have?

Phoenix

That’s the one I have… It looks great with the wood legs but man the gaps are large I’m thinking this may work? Shop Quality & Affordable Products - IKEA CA think that should fit the base seeing how its both from Ikea

Also there’s no link to post 10 for your thoughts on solid platform

Hi WadeB,

Oops … it’s fixed now … sorry :slight_smile:

I agree that your foundation isn’t one that I would normally consider. If the Laxeby was stable on top of the foundation and didn’t shift or slide with movement (it normally fits into a bedframe with a lip that would stop it from sliding) then it would work yes.

Phoenix

I purchased a Cal King 9" 3 layer Latex Mattress (Firm / Medium / Soft). This has probably already been mentioned but I could not find a foundation in this thread like this one. Do you think this would work well with the Cal King Latex?

European Posture Support Platform Bed Frame

I’m assuming the King and Cal King would be like the one pictured of the Triple wide. But if this foundation for the Cal King is the triple section foundation, I could see us sleeping more in between the slate slopes and more where the 3 sections join. How would that effect the performance and feel of this foundation thru the mattress?

Hi MrM1,

I’m not familiar with the European platform bedframe you linked but I would be somewhat cautious based on what I can see.

It’s a fairly new product made by Boyd Sleep Systems and you can see in the Walmart description here it will support 300 lbs per side of “dynamic weight” which tells me that it may not be as strong as I would be comfortable with and this and the price would probably be a more accurate reflection of its quality and it’s “real world” strength and durability than the static weight rating. Some of this is indicated in the more negative reviews on Walmart.

It may also affect the feel of your mattress (for better or worse) and it’s also possible that you would feel the sections where the slats are attached where there is no flex under the mattress. How much you would feel this would depend on your weight and sensitivity and on the specifics of the mattress (you would be more likely to feel the firmer sections with higher weights, a thinner mattress, or softer layers).

If you do decide to purchase it I would buy it from Walmart partly because of the lower cost but mainly because of their great return policy so you can return it if there are any issues with durability (such as legs bending or slat supports breaking) or with how it affects the feel or performance of your mattress.

Phoenix

Careful study between the OverStock offering on eBay and the one at Walmart seem to indicate they are virtually if not identically the same. I did order the one from eBay yesterday, but since you pointed out the Walmart version I am trying cancel my order from eBay. If I can get the order canceled I may give the Walmart version a try. But in reading the reviews - even the positive ones - it may provide more “give” than I am wanting. I did find a number or 4 and 5 star reviews on the Walmart site that used this bed with a King and memory foam and they were pleased, but this one 3 star review was pretty comical and telling for my needs:

I want a platform that is pretty firm … but I need the 15" height and under storage of these types of frames. So maybe I should try a wire frame instead ??? Or I guess if I cant cancel, or do try the one at Walmart I could try it and if it is not firm enough I could re-slate it with 1x4. Or Return it … but what would be other options given my needs?

We are going to be placing a 9" full Latex Cal-King 3 layer “SleepEZ Like” mattress on top.

Wife is 150 ish and I am just under 180 this week. (but I just finished a super size coke so that may change)

Hi MrM1,

Yes … they are both the same product made by Boyd.

You can see my comments about the wire frame platform foundations in post #10 here and there are some options for these in the foundation post here. I may be more cautious than I need to be and the better ones would probably be fine for the medium term and possibly the longer term as well but if I was to use one with an all latex mattress I would personally use one with less gaps between the wires and add a bed rug to even out the support under the mattress to alleviate the risk of any potential issues with long term use.

Phoenix

I was basically thinking the same thing about wire. More Wires, and a Bed Rug.

Thanks

First- thanks so much for all of the information on this site. I’ve found it incredibly useful. I am about to purchase an Ultimate Dreams mattress from Dreamfoam, but am trying to figure out the most economical foundation for it. I would like to get a low profile foundation rather than a platform bed so that I can use it any bed frame. Do you have any thoughts on this option:
BeautyRest Recharge

For reference, I’m just over 100 pounds and am getting a full size mattress. Any other suggestions of cheap options would be great! If it makes a difference, I will probably be able to upgrade the foundation within a couple of years.

Hi rexid,

It should be fine and I doubt that you will find anything that was suitable in a much lower price range.

And congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

Phoenix

If I purchase one of these KD foundations for my king size latex mattress what are the options to use it as the primary bed frame? Do I buy stands that the foundation sits on? I’ve had my mattress that i purchased from Arizona Premium for close to a year now and I’m still sleeping on the floor, lol. It’s time to rectify this situation, but keep in mind that I’m a cheapskate. I have also looked at platform beds, but it seems that is a more expensive option. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Shazb)t,

You could put it on a steel bedframe (see post #10 here) or you could use it with legs attached directly to the foundation (such as the universal bedlegs here).

Phoenix

So looking at your initial post, is the Arizona Premium KD king size at $299 shipped and getting some universal legs to mount to the foundation the cheapest way to get my mattress off the floor?

Hi Shazbot,

I don’t know what would be the cheapest out of all the suitable options that are available to you but if you choose to go with a wood slat foundation then either the bedlegs or a steel bedframe would probably be among the lowest cost options available (there are some relatively inexpensive bedframes as well that would be in a similar price range to the bedlegs).

There are also some steel wire grid type platform bedframes listed in the foundation post here that would be a lower cost option yet and if you add a bed rug to them to even out the support surface (see post #10 here) they would be a suitable choice as well for an all latex mattress.

Phoenix