The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Phoenix,

I’ve been debating between a dreamfoam UD and Casper Sleep and decided to try out the Casper since it’s virtually risk-free (while DF seems to have a $99 restocking fee).
You mentioned in post #342 here that a bed rug can provide better ventilation, but I’ve never seen or heard of one of these before. Are there drawbacks to using one of these instead of a foundation, or are they to be used in conjunction with a foundation to add more ventilation?
For the frame, I’m thinking of using the Serta Stabl-base 4059BR. I’m a little worried about the bed rolling around, but can these types of frames be just as stable if you lock the rollers?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi TemporaryCatatonic

The bed rug can be used to add ventilation under the mattress if you have your mattress on a solid surface (such as a solid surface platform bed or the floor), or to help even out the support for a platform bed or foundation where the gaps between wooden slats or the spaces in between the wires (in the case of a wire grid support surface) are a little too far apart to provide suitable support for your mattress.

The bedrug is thin so the drawback in using them by themselves on the floor (you couldn’t use them on a steel bedframe to replace a foundation) would be that they don’t provide the height you may prefer for your sleeping surface.

The bedframe you are considering would be fine in terms of strength. If you are using it on a carpeted floor I would tend to use the version that has the rollers but if are using it on a non carpeted floor I would tend to use the regular glides (which are the ones that are shown in the page you linked).

Phoenix

I’ve been spending a lot of time reading the various forums here over the past couple of weeks as I begin my search for a new mattress. I’m so impressed with the information that is available here!

I’ve never had anything other than a spring mattress, and have really never before put much thought or research into the selection process, but that’s changing now as I’m more than ready to get rid of my 10 year old mattress. A few years ago I got rid of the foundation and bought the Stratton Bed from Pottery Barn. What seems to be a solid platform bed is not actually that. In the middle of the bed there is a thin piece of wood (maybe 1/4 inch thick, 2’ wide and 5’ long on a queen bed) spanning empty space. I haven’t actually taken my mattress off to check, but I think the middle is sagging now. I know my body feels slightly slanted to the middle of the bed. It’s probably a combination of the mattress and the thin board.

Anyway, if I want to keep this bed (I’m not completely sure I do), what should I do about the middle part? I don’t want any extra height added to the bed but need a stronger foundation in the middle section. For mattresses I’m considering Dreamfoam options and possibly Casper. Thanks to this forum I’m aware of a lot of other options should I end up getting rid of the bed, but it was rather expensive so it would be best to make it work! I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi CCoffey,

I’m not quite clear on what your bedframe looks like inside but post #5 here (and the post it links to about center support legs) have some suggestions that should be helpful to either reinforce your bedframe or add some legs underneath to support the center beam.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply! I’m pretty sure I’ll have to build something but can’t figure out the best way to accomplish that given my limited skills and equipment. I’m including a photo here that shows the basic layout of the bed. This is actually from a site about building knock-offs, but aside from the lack of finish, it’s exactly what my bed looks like. The sides are 16" high. It’s missing the very thin (~ 1/4 inch) sheet of wood that is nailed over the open space. I’m thinking I should build some kind of box to cover most of the area, but was just hoping someone might have a better idea.

Thanks,
Claire

Hi CCoffey,

I’m not sure of the length of the span between the sides of your bed but if it’s not more than the width of a twin mattress (about 38") then you could use 5/8" good one side plywood (preferably low VOC … see here) on top of your bed to provide good support without needing center support. The down side to this would be a lack of airflow under the mattress which in combination with other risk factors could increase the risk of developing mold or mildew in your mattress (see post #10 here) although in most cases it would probably be OK if not ideal. You could also use a bunkie board to provide good support across the two sides your mattress which would be more breathable (see post #4 here and the post it links to) or you could add a bed rug on top of the platform to improve the ventilation under your mattress as well.

Phoenix

We’re getting close to buying a new latex mattress. So much to learn about! We bought our kids dunlop latex mattresses from Vivetique last year, with a huge military discount, and ever since then I’ve wanted to replace our 10 y.o. innerspring mattress. Our bed should be as nice as our children’s, right?

Final concerns: Shawn at SleepEZ suggested all split talalay S/M/F on the “organic” SleepEZ 10000. I previously thought that we’d have at least 1 layer of dunlop to reduce the jiggle factor. We’re going to do a more extended lay down test on all talalay at a local store before deciding. I planned on something more like Soft talalay/Medium talalay/ Medium dunlop, all split. We’re both 180 lb. back/side sleepers and we like softer mattresses so that my husbands broad shoulders and my behind can sink down enough for the surrounding areas of our bodies to make contact with the mattress. The lower prices at mattresses.net are tempting, but I like the idea of 3 3" layers at SleepEZ vs. a 6" core with a 3" comfort layer. Also, I’ve read more feedback on this site about SleepEZ and that is reassuring considering it’s a big purchase to make sight unseen. I would consider purchasing from Vivetique again, but their website has much less info and whatever we would end up with would be a custom phone order, plus the shipping cost may be prohibitive. Reading all of your great advice to others has been so helpful. I still feel unsure as to how our decision will pan out after the swap/exchange period ends and it would be a costly mistake with our tight budget. Any input you have for us is appreciated!

Lastly, the foundation: My husband prefers our mattress and foundation directly on the floor to eliminate possible squeaking, movement, etc. of a bed frame. I still want a nice height though and a lower layer to put an attractive boxspring cover on to reduce the mattress on the floor look, not to mention the added ventilation. I’m going to buy the 8" foundation from either SleepEZ or mattresses.net. Mattresses.net is $236.55 with the 5% discount vs. $275 at SleepEZ. Mattresses.net provides more specific info on their site about the slat measurements and type of wood. Both products may be essentially equal as far as function is concerned, but I appreciate seeing the specs in writing on their site. I prefer SleepEZ’s organic cover to mattress.net’s bamboo cover. What I’m wondering is if either of them use fire retardants or any other chemicals on the wood or covers. If one does and the other does not, that will make my decision easy. I read on a website that specializes in organic mattresses that the wood in foundations can be chemically treated instead of kiln dried and to watch out for undisclosed fire retardants in the covers as well. Since neither of these companies sell exclusively natural/organic products, they offer much less up-front info on the topic. I’m chemically sensitive. If you’re not sure about it, I can give them a call and post what I find out. Thank you for your time and wisdom.

Hi pena,

I’m certainly happy to answer any specific questions you may have but the tutorial post would have most of the basic information, steps, and guidelines that I would suggest.

Post #13 here also has more about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses once you are down to final choices between “good and good” if there are no clear winners between them (see post #2 here).

Both SleepEz and Mattresses.net are members of this site which means that I think highly of both of them and I believe that they both compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency although as you mentioned they both have different options and designs.

They would be the best source of this type of information about their foundations but outside of any specific concerns you may have either one would certainly be suitable for a latex mattress.

Phoenix

Hey Phoenix,

Been following this thread and I liked the manual adjustable beds from Pragma on amazon, but the wires EZ sleep website said they can cut the mattress over time. Then I found they have one with birch slats at Walmart.com. What do you think?

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Pragma-Wooden-Slat-Adjustable-Bed-Frame-Head-and-Foot-Multiple-Sizes/26603151

Hi greatful,

A latex mattress generally does best with a firm, non flexing, and evenly supportive slatted foundation or platform bed with slats that are less than 3" apart. I don’t have any personal experience with the Pragma foundation but it certainly wouldn’t be my first choice (especially for a latex mattress). This is partly because they have flexible slats which can change the feel and performance of your mattress, partly because the center of the support system (and the center cross member as well) don’t flex and could result in a sleeping surface that feels different in the center of the mattress than on each side, partly because I’m not completely confident that the design would be strong enough to support a latex mattress and the person sleeping on it (it supports 300 lbs in single and 600 lbs in double sizes which isn’t nearly as strong as many other foundations) and partly because I have seen reports about the legs bending or the plastic slat holders breaking.

Phoenix

Hi again Phoenix,

Do you have any feedback/comments on the Zedbed standard foundation? (for a latex or hybrid mattress).
I don’t know how big the gaps are but I’ll try to contact them tomorrow for that info.
Thanks!

Hi manazca,

I’m not familiar with the specifics of the Zedbed foundation so unfortunately I can’t make any meaningful comments about it.

Phoenix

We took apart an old king boxspring to make our own slatted bed base. We have been using it with a standard mattress for about three years, and it it holding up well. We are in the market for a new mattress, and are leaning toward the Spindle mattress. I’m wondering if this homemade slatted base will work. My first concern is that the wood is rough (not sanded), and would that damage the mattress. My second concern is will this be strong enough. It works right now just fine, but is the latex bed too heavy?

Hi Erbe,

You are certainly looking at a great quality/value choice :slight_smile:

It could wear the cover faster yes or if there are any splinters it could catch the mattress cover and damage it. It would probably be worthwhile adding some type of cloth material over it to protect the mattress.

I have no way of knowing this because I don’t know anything about the construction or materials you used. If you can provide more detailed information or specifics (such as the type of wood and dimensions of the slats, the distance between the slats, the type of center support, and the strength of the overall construction) then I may be able to make some comments about it.

A picture may be helpful as well.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix!

I just ordered a King Ultimate Dreams Freedom Customizable.

I found a bed on Amazon I might want. Here is a picture of the wood slats: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YCdUMfZqL.jpg

Below is a link to the bed itself:
https://www.amazon.com/Tufted-Design-Leather-Upholstered-Platform/dp/B00C79WXIO/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1418766345&sr=1-3&keywords=white+bed

Do you think it would be suitable?

Also Chuck himself told me this frame of theirs would be fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP1PZW6

I know you recommend would slats. I think my dad has a metal bed frame that I might be able to use; however, I’m not quite sure what it looks like. In order to save money I’d love to use my dad’s, but would I maybe need a bed rug on it? Thanks!

Hi Starálfur,

Congratulations on your new mattress … you certainly made a great quality/value choice :).

[quote]I found a bed on Amazon I might want. Here is a picture of the wood slats: ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YCdUMfZqL.jpg

Below is a link to the bed itself:
www.amazon.com/Tufted-Design-Leather-Uph...3&keywords=white+bed

Do you think it would be suitable?[/quote]

I’m not familiar with the bed so I’m not sure of the distance between the slats or how strong or liable to break they may be but it has good center support to the floor and if the gaps in between the slats are less than 3" then it would probably be OK yes. The slats are flexible so I would also keep in mind that they will change the feel of the mattress compared to a foundation that doesn’t flex so if you find that the heavier parts of your body are sinking down too far and you are out of alignment then you may need to try the mattress on the floor to find out how much the foundation is contributing to the issue. Some people may also be able to feel the two center supports where the foundation doesn’t flex under the mattress.

You can see my thoughts about wire grid foundations in post #10 here. It would certainly be strong enough and for the short or medium term it would be fine but I tend to be somewhat cautious about the longer term effects when the gaps between the wires are larger.

It’s possible that a bed rug would be a good idea but I would need to know more specifics about it to make any meaningful comments. If it’s a steel bedframe like the ones in post #10 here (vs a foundation) then you you would need to put a foundation on top of it because these types of steel bedframes aren’t designed to use directly under a mattress (with or without a bed rug) and the mattress would sag right through it.

Phoenix

Thanks for your thoughts Phoenix.

I made the purchase last night, but now I’m actually worried I made the wrong choice. I tend to sleep hot, and have just been reading up on how Dunlop sleeps hotter than Talalay. I think I also want more bounce from my mattress, which I also read Talalay has.

Edit: Just FYI I’m 5’8, 120lbs, back sleeper.

I guess I made a bit of an impulsive buy based on the fact that I could customize the softness. I suppose I will deal with the $99 return fee if I have to. I shyed away from the original Ultimate Dreams with the Talalay topper after worrying about not getting the firmness right and reading reviews that the mattress is not the same quality as it was back in 2012…but maybe the Talalay topper and cheaper price would have been worth it. Eeek, I’m nervous!

Anyway thanks again.

Edit2: Awww, just asked a question about the bed on amazon and someone said the space between each slat is almost 4 inches. :frowning:

Hi Starálfur.

I would be surprised if you had an issue with sleeping temperature in this mattress. Latex in general is more breathable than other types of foam and the quilting they use in their cover is also very breathable. Latex in general is also more resilient than other foam materials (such as polyfoam) so it would depend on what you are comparing it to although it’s true that Talalay is more resilient than Dunlop.

I would be very cautious about using reviews as a reliable source of information or research (see post #13 here) because in many if not most cases they can be more misleading than helpful (either positive or negative). They did change the support core in their Talalay latex mattress a few years ago but the new material is a higher performance material than they were using previously and the lower density would only make a meaningful difference in terms of durability for those that are in much higher weight ranges than you are. For many people the new materials would be a better mattress. You can read some more detailed comments about this in post #14 here and their comments about their base foam in post #4 here.

I can certainly understand the temptation of second guessing good choices but once you receive your new mattress you will know for certain how it feels and performs for you and I think that the odds are high that you will be happy with it (and you also have several configurations that can change the comfort and support of the mattress as well if you need to).

I’m looking forward to your feedback once you receive it.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix! I wish I had posted here before I ordered. After emailing Chuck I think I will be exchanging it for either the Eurotop or the original, cheaper Talalay one. He said the softest the Freedom gets is about a 7, and an 8 is the beginning of what pillowtop mattresses feel like- which is a mattress I used to have that I liked. That combined with the slight extra bounce and breathability, and with you alleviating my concerns about the quality especially due to my weight, makes me pretty confident Talalay is better for me. To save hassle, I’m pretty sure I’m going to just return it without even opening the box, though I know I’ll be tempted to try it and might still.

One more question about the bed with the slats that were almost 4 inches- would a bed rug over those slats work in that situation?

You’re amazing Phoenix!

Hi Starálfur,

4" gaps would be fine for a mattress that had a polyfoam support core such as the Ultimate Dreams Eurotop or the Ultimate Dreams latex hybrid and would be OK in the short term for an all latex mattress as well.

If you did decide to keep the Freedom all latex mattress then I would add the bed rug so that you have more even support over the long term and reduce the chance of the latex sinking into the gaps over time.

Phoenix