The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Thank you Phoenix. I understand the frustration if I am asking repetitive questions. I thought I read through everything in the first post but I may have forgotten some things. I truly appreciate your patience and support. Somehow I didn’t pick up on the idea that a wood-slatted foundation can be used in beds that require box springs. I don’t know what I was thinking but I thought the wood-slatted foundations were meant to be on their own.

Hi Starálfur,

A box spring would be a requirement for some types of mattresses and which one you would use (either a box spring or a foundation) would depend on the type of mattress not the bed frame. There are very few mattresses sold today that require a box spring and in most cases when you see “box spring” in a description they are usually referring to a foundation and are using the word “box spring” incorrectly. They look very much the same on the outside but on the inside a foundation doesn’t have springs inside it and has limited or no flex. They would both fit on the same bedframes.

You can see an example of the inside of a box spring here (with coil springs) and another box spring here (with torsion springs) and the inside of a wood slat foundation here and a wire grid foundation here.

Phoenix

Here is a photo of our makeshift slatted base. Years ago, we had a worn out box spring that we recycled into this. One of the boards was broken, so my husband found a new one and replaced it.

It is sitting on a kind size Ikea bed frame that has a metal bar down the middle, which I tried to show in this photo:

So far so good in holding up to lots of weight. I was worried at first, and then realized that we’ve had our entire family sitting on this bed at one time with no issues, so I stopped worrying (we have a few teenagers and other kids as well).

And here is the old Ikea jute or sisal (can’t remember) rug we recycled. It got some kool-aid spilled on it, and an intense cleaning ruined it. We just cut it to fit. There was only enough for one layer, but I think the only reason for it is to keep the mattress from getting caught on the rough wood underneath.

As far as the Spindle mattress, we are really enjoying it so far. We got the medium firmness, and while it feels a little too firm right at the moment, I am also noticing my body seems much more rested than I remember being in a long time. We will be giving it probably until the new year at least before we decide if we want to soften it up more with a soft layer. I did find a washable wool mattress topper on Amazon for only $111 (king size!!), that I snatched up, and we have that on top to protect the mattress a little bit. I am also considering a soft talalay topper instead of softening up the mattress itself. Time will tell. I certainly am enjoying it!

Hi Erbe,

Thanks for the update and the pictures :slight_smile:

It certainly looks like your slatted base is very strong and “built like a tank” and as long as the center of the bed is well supported and has no chance of sagging then I don’t think that you would have any issues using it to support you and the mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for providing this forum and my apologies if this has already been asked and answered. I realize each situation is unique and that of one persons solution may not be the best for all. Here goes for mine: I have a 3.5 year old mattress. Aireloom latex. It started sagging in year 3. I thought it was bad luck like most and time to replace it to soon. I happened to find an honest sales rep that actually explained that my foundation may be the culprit. In doing more research and reading your other forum posts I see bed beam has been recommended to some. I currently have a wood rail bed with 4 flat planks going across and a single wood support leg on the middle plank. I can apply a pinkie finger of pressure and see each plank sag/ flex with ease. First whether or not its my mattress I would/should replace this system regardless. I was hoping however that you could confirm that this is potentially the sag issue I feel and can actually save the mattress with the bed beam or other foundation change. In addition, before doing that would sleeping on my mattress directly on my wood floor illustrate that the mattress does in fact need to be replaced or not as a quick test? I may abandon the bed beam idea and just go with good old fashion frame, box spring and mattress if I must purchase a new mattress as I don’t want to do this again in 3 more years. Sleep and Health is more important than the aesthetic look of the furniture.

I also wondered if the mattress was sagging due to the weak planks and a new metal foundation would improve the sag but will it resolve the issue or did I ruin the mattress with the 3 years I had it on that foundation and learned the hard way how important the right foundation is for any mattress?

thank you again for providing and maintaining this forum

Hi senza201,

There are two reasons that a mattress can sag which is either the materials or components in the mattress or the support system under the mattress.

From the description of your bedframe it sounds like you have a bedframe and isn’t designed to directly support a mattress without a foundation on top of it.

You’ve probably read this already but the first post of this topic here has more information about the types of support systems that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some good sources for each of them. If your mattress is all latex (which it may not be … but you can check on the law tag to see if there are any other materials in the mattress besides latex) then you would need a support system with little to no flex that has a center beam with good center support to the floor and no more than 3" of spacing between the slats.

I would agree that the first thing I would do is put your mattress on the floor to see if this solves the problem (which it should if the only cause of your sagging is the support system under your mattress and not the materials in the mattress). If it does then you will need a good foundation (not a box spring with springs inside it that flex) on your bedframe and under your mattress. I don’t think that a bed beam will provide the type of support you are looking for although it may still be a good idea to improve the strength of the support underneath the foundation.

If height is an issue and you don’t want the additional height of a typical foundation or even a low profile foundation then a slat conversion kit like this may be a good alternative to a thicker foundation.

If there is still sagging in your mattress when you have it on the floor or with a suitable foundation underneath it then the issue may be the materials in your mattress and some of the suggestions in post #4 here may be helpful but the first step I would take is to put the mattress on the floor to see if this resolves your situation.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix. Well two nights on the floor and no back pain so I will continue that routine to validate it was the foundation. I will also check those links.

Thanks again.
LK

Hi senza,

Your experience sounds very promising so far :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks again Pheonix. Apologies I had a typo in my original note. I meant I had a bunkie board over the sad flex planks. The link took me to a platform conversion slat board. Does that replace the old planks or just place between my bunkie board and mattress? Or place under bunkie board or just use without bunkie board? I ask because I’m trying to envision the center leg supports that are missing or is the idea that the side rails of the existing wood rails platform hold the new slat conversion board and the middle is enforced with a center beam that doesn’t require the legs as the bed beam provides. I like this idea if I’m understanding as its just a drop in and done.

Apologies again if you addressed earlier threads from other members.

Thanks again Phoenix,

Senza210

Hi senza,

The slat conversion would have the same function as a bunkie board but if you have a bunkie board on top of the slats on your bedframe you may already be fine although depending on the specifics of your bedframe it may still be worth considering adding additional support under the bunkie board (a picture would be helpful). A bunkie board (or the slat conversion) has the same function as a foundation which is to provide a firm non flexing support surface under your mattress … they are just thinner than a standard or low profile foundation so your sleeping surface is lower.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

apologies, I should have posted a photo sooner to cut to the chase for the best recommendation. Here it is, so now bedbeam, laser beam, or something else? third night on the floor and still no back pain.

Thanks again,

Senza

Hi senza210,

I had to resize the image because it was larger than the maximum image size allowed by the forum software and was generating an error. I’ve attached it to your post.

Your bedframe doesn’t have a center beam at all so the span of the cross slats would be too long IMO and if I was in your shoes I would reinforce your slats with something like this (this or this would work as well but are more costly) and then you could use one of the slat conversions on top of it (I would measure to make sure that it fits first though).

Phoenix

Phoenix

Again thank you. I was leaning toward bed beam so like the last response. Your also suggesting bed beam with slat conversion on top vs my current bunkie board. Based on thickness and raised slats I don’t mind the cost. Same thing to get back to metal frame and box spring except get to keep furniture and low profile bed. This should do it unless I missed something. Thank you.
Senza

Hi sensa,

In general there are 3 parts to a “sleeping system” which are the bedframe, the foundation (or sometimes a box spring) and the mattress.

You will need a steel or wooden bedframe to provide good structural support for a foundation or bunkie board (or a box spring depending on the mattress) and to raise the sleeping surface to a suitable height. The foundation or box spring in turn is needed to provide an evenly supportive surface for the mattress (otherwise a mattress would sag into the gaps in the bedframe).

Some platform beds (such as here or here) already have good center support and suitable slats (or a solid surface) so they wouldn’t need a separate foundation.

Phoenix

So I’m taking delivery of an all latex bed today, purchased after more than a year of research here (details and review coming). However, I made an incorrect assumption about my existing foundation and would appreciate some advice.

This morning, I pulled the old King mattress off the frame and foundation in preparation for the new mattress. Just to be certain that I had slats and not springs inside, I cut off the covering to the foundation. I was surprised to see this instead of slats:

[unable to attach photo - emailing photo to Phoenix]

Is there a quick fix? Perhaps a run to Ikea for Lonset ? And if so, could I simply place the slatted bas on top of the current foundation and then put the all Latex mattress on top?

Thanks in advance.

Hi DodieB,

I don’t know how well the Lonset would fit on the foundation (you would need to measure it) or whether it would tend to shift or slide (there are no side rails to keep it from sliding). It also has flexible slats which will can change the feel and performance of your mattress (which may be helpful for some or detrimental for others). One of the slat conversion kits here would be similar except they have rigid slats rather than flexible slats. If any of these fit and are stable then they would be a suitable choice.

If you are looking for a quick fix until you can replace the foundation then a sheet of plywood would probably be fine.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I would like to buy a bed rug for a solid platform bed, for our upcoming all latex mattress. Do you know where I can purchase one in Canada?
Thanks.

Hi cnanpou,

It may be worth checking with Savvy Rest to see if they can ship one to Canada or if one of their Canadian dealers carry them and can ship it to you.

Phoenix

Thanks, I found a retailer in BC who can ship the bed rug. Tha bed rug is for my daughter’s solid platform bed.

I’m about to make a decision for our own king size latex mattress (from Sleep Ez), but need to buy a new wood foundation locally, because of the shipping issue. I’m having a hard time finding a wood foundation that meets all the criteria you have described in past posts. I can find some with 3" spacing, but often there will be something else on top, like for example a 1/4 inch "open cell " foam, or a sheet of masonite. Is this okay?

I also forgot to ask: what about the Novosbed wood foundation that you assemble yourself? Is this a good, sturdy option?

https://www.novosbed.ca/product/woodframe-foundation/