The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Thanks! Actually… if I can bother you for another question :stuck_out_tongue: .

I am still torn on what foundation to buy for the roma. I was previously planning to use my previous sleepmaster steelbase queen metal foundation from amazon that I have, then put the sleepez foundation on top of this, and then the mattress on top of that.

However, one of the representatives correctly informed me that that will result in a very high system (roughly 14+9+5.5~28 inches) .

And the representative informed me that I might be better off looking for a platform bed that can serve as a suitable foundation+ bedframe unless you want to put the platform on the floor directly.

I looked through your recommendations for a platform bed, and aside from the numerous choices, I think most of them are too expensive for me to consider (I was hoping for something around the price for the foundation itself, currently at 275 dollars, I apologize in advance if my request sounds far fetched!).

One thing I did find was
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Upholstered-Detailed-Platform-Wooden/dp/B014G3IDXM/ref=sr_1_8?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1464810253&sr=1-8&keywords=bedframe+queen&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A368699011

According to a representative in the website, the wood slats are 3.5 inches apart. Other similar ones show separations of over 4 inches, so I didn’t consider that. This also doesn’t tell me whether they are using particle wood (heard to avoid those) or not.

Do you think 3.5 inches would be okay for the mattress? Also, from your platform bed (or general foundations) recommendations, is there a one that combines a foundation and bedframe with the suitable spacing around or below 300 dollars?

IF not, I am planning to purchase the foundation (sleepez) and using a simple frame such as this- would this be the best?
https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Compack-9-Leg-Support-Frame/dp/B00EYN1NEG/ref=sr_1_3?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1464810253&sr=1-3&keywords=bedframe+queen&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A368699011

If you can let me know what you think, that will be great.

thanks for your continued help and advice!

Hi iqjump123,

[quote]One thing I did find was
www.amazon.com/Zinus-Upholstered-Detaile...owse-bin%3A368699011

According to a representative in the website, the wood slats are 3.5 inches apart. Other similar ones show separations of over 4 inches, so I didn’t consider that. This also doesn’t tell me whether they are using particle wood (heard to avoid those) or not.

Do you think 3.5 inches would be okay for the mattress? [/quote]

The description says that it only has 10 slats which means that the gaps between the slats would probably be more than 3.5". I also don’t know the thickness or strength of the slats in the bed or the bed itself (although based on the price I wouldn’t be particularly hopeful about the quality or strength of the materials) but in any case I would use 3" as a maximum distance between the slats (assuming that they are 1x3 slats) and less than that would be better yet so it’s not a platform bed that I would consider for an all latex mattress.

I don’t know the prices of the platform bed options that are listed off the top of my head so you would need to check their websites or call them to check their specifications and prices.

[quote]IF not, I am planning to purchase the foundation (sleepez) and using a simple frame such as this- would this be the best?
www.amazon.com/Zinus-Compack-9-Leg-Suppo...owse-bin%3A368699011

If you can let me know what you think, that will be great.[/quote]

The SleepEZ foundation would certainly be suitable.

There is more information about metal bedframes in post #10 here.

I’m not familiar with the Zinus bedframe and I don’t know the weight it’s designed to support or how stable it is but if the foundation you choose has a center support beam or is a split king foundation I would tend to choose a bedframe that also has a center support that goes from the head to the foot (directly under the center support of the foundation) rather than side to side. I would also make sure that the center support legs were in the middle of the bedframe directly under the center support beam as well when the frame is extended to king size. My “instinct” says that there are probably better and stronger options available and it wouldn’t be my first choice.

Phoenix

Just a note. I have 2 of the infamous foam by mail mattresses, ordered FIRM. First one purchased 8-9 years ago. The platform I built specifies 3.75" slat spacing (slats being 1x4’s). When I initially built the platform and put the mattress on I could see and feel it pushing out between the slats. I was concerned that the latex might start breaking down at those slat edges so I redid them, setting the spacing to 1.5" between the shoulder and hip area, and 2" elsewhere. Maybe its overkill but I;m pleased that the mattress now sits on top of the slats when there’s weight on the mattress.

Hi bnolsen,

IMO overkill is often worth it … especially when so much of the industry is somewhat underwhelming and tends to underperform :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks so much for this amazing resource :slight_smile: I have been reading TMU for several weeks and purchased a good latex mattress over last weekend.

Purchase was this - Latex Mattresses for Sale Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide & Brisbane

6inch medium firm 100% latex, with 2inch ‘softer’ latex (don’t have the dunlop number) for ~$1900

Our first sleep last night was great for me, but my partner found it still much too firm. Is this related to the base?

In display in the shop the mattress was on this - http://electricadjustablebeds.com.au/products/18a-bendigo-tension-adjustable-slat-base-with-headboard/ (basically standard curved slats less than 3inchs apart)

At home we have a base more similiar to this - http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-easy-low-waste-platform-bed/ (very hard pine wood 35 mm high, 90mm wide, around 2.5inchs apart)

My question is a) should we look into a different, more flexible base b) will throwing on a 2inch poly-form layer potentially loosen it up a fair bit? Both of us are mostly finding that our shoulders and not sinking in enough

Thanks!

JJ

Hi jumpingjones,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! all the way from Australia.

I’m glad the information here was helpful … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I’ve also added Town and Country mattress to the Australia list of manufacturers and retailers in post #7 here … thanks for the heads up!

There is also more about flexible slat systems in post #2 here and the posts it links to. Since a flexible slat system is an “active” part of a sleeping system (just like any other layer or component either in, under, or over a mattress that flexes or compresses when you sleep on it) the only reliable way to know whether a flexible slat system would be an improvement for you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP compared to a rigid non flexing support system under the same mattress would be based on your own actual experience when you test it or sleep on it in person and compare both types of support systems under the same mattress. Depending on the design of the mattress, for some people it could be neutral, for some people it could be an improvement, and for some it could be detrimental. The flexible slats would generally be less noticeable under a thicker mattress than under a thinner one or for lighter people than heavier people.

Having said that … it looks like the flexible slat system you tested the mattress on in the store has a softer adjustable shoulder section that provides some zoning in the “sleeping system” and if this is the case then your mattress is probably thin enough that the softer support section would help to “allow” your shoulders to sink in a little more which can help with alignment and to reduce pressure on your shoulders. Again though … the only way to know “how much” difference it would make would be based on your own personal experience but based on your feedback it sounds like the difference is enough that you can notice the difference in the store vs the same mattress.

There is also more about zoning in this article and in post #11 here and the additional posts it links to.

Since you seem to have noticed a difference it may be worthwhile returning to the store and doing some careful testing with the same mattress on the flexible slat system once again so you can use your own experience to help you decide whether purchasing it will make “enough” of a difference to justify the additional cost.

If you add a layer of polyfoam under the mattress it wouldn’t be zoned and would probably make less of a difference than the zoned flexible slat system and if you are looking for a less costly alternative it would probably be more effective to add a softer topper on top of your mattress than to add a polyfoam layer underneath it where any additional softness it provides would be much less noticeable than it would with a topper.

If the only issue with your mattress is that it is too firm then a good quality topper can certainly be an effective way to add some additional softness, “comfort” and pressure relief to your sleeping system but the only way to know for certain whether a specific mattress/topper combination is a good “match” for both of you in terms of comfort, firmness, and PPP is based on your own careful testing or personal experience on the combination.

Because a topper probably wouldn’t be zoned with a softer shoulder section it would be important to use a topper that was “just enough” in terms of thickness and softness to provide the additional pressure relief that you need but no thicker or softer because the risk of choosing a topper that is too thick and/or soft is that it could end up being too soft and lead to sleeping out of alignment and you could end up replacing one set of symptoms (pressure points) with another (lower back issues). If you can’t test the combination in person then there will always be always some risk and uncertainty involved in adding a topper because the specifics of the mattress itself along with your own body type, sleeping position, and preferences can affect which specific topper would be a suitable choice on any specific mattress.

There is more information about choosing a topper post #2 here and the topper guidelines it links to (although the sources it links to are only for North America) which along with a conversation with a reliable and knowledgeable supplier that can provide you with good information about how their toppers compare to each other or to other toppers they are familiar with that are available on the market can help you use your sleeping experience as a reference point and guideline to help you decide on the type, thickness, and firmness for a topper that has the least possible risk and the best chance for success.

A good exchange/return policy (although exchange or return policies with toppers are less common) can also reduce the risk of an online topper purchase so I would make sure you are comfortable with the options you have available after a purchase just in case the topper you choose doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks to all your contributions to this forum I’ve been lurking, my partner and I purchased a Love Bed from Nest. However, we also bought an IKEA bed frame and are using their flexible Luroy slats. We were told that the Love Bed requires a non flex foundation, and I was wondering if it’d be possible just to replace the Luroy slats with non flexible wood planks bought from Home Depot? (Cut into the proper length for the bed, of course)

We’re trying to go for the most cost effective method, since we’re on a pretty tight budget right now. Would this DIY solution be suitable, provided that we make sure that they’re non flex wood and spaced out less than 3" apart?

Thanks again!

Hi carnival,

I doubt that it would be possible or practical to replace the flexible slats in the Luroy with non flexing slats that fit the slat holders and still maintain the strength and integrity of the Luroy.

A latex hybrid mattress with a polyfoam support core will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components (either a bedframe and foundation or a platform bed) need to be strong and durable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without some of the parts bending, sagging, shifting, or breaking with extended use. The support surface under the mattress (which may be slats or a steel or wire grid) should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. If a foundation has a slatted surface then I would suggest that the gaps between any slats are no more than about 5" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than 4" would be better yet unless the manufacturer specifically recommends even less than that to satisfy their warranty requirements.

There is also more information and some guidelines about the different type of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here (the first post in the topic we are posting in) that may be helpful.

Phoenix

The combination of latex and memory foam gives the mattress a cushioning effect allowing for minimal motion transfer. The latex layer provides the cooling component and allows for the optimal level of bounce. The memory foam creates a cushioning effect, giving the mattress the ability to adjust to your body shape, creating individualized support. And finally, the polyurethane layer gives the mattress the perfect density and ensures long-term durability. It provides optimum support by responding to each individual’s body; however any movement is confined, not affecting other areas of the mattress. Hence, movement is absorbed, which means if you are sharing your Onebed ffrom : [url=https://www.onebed.com.au/]High quality Online Mattress[/url with another, you won’t be affected by their night.

Hi Phoenix,
I have settled on a particular but now for the hard part…what to buy to put it on. I am trying to find a company that sells slated beds that have the proper center support for the heavier latex mattress. I don’t want a foundation but a bed that already has the proper support to put the mattress on and be done with it. I have checked every website you mentioned in this thread and didn’t find quite what I thought was appropriate. I ran across another website that I wanted to mention: www.abundantearth.com

They seem to meet the center support/slat spacing requirements. Any input o them? Or, has any of your readers used this company and have any input on them? Thanks.

Hi geo979,

[quote] I ran across another website that I wanted to mention: www.abundantearth.com

They seem to meet the center support/slat spacing requirements. Any input o them? Or, has any of your readers used this company and have any input on them? Thanks. [/quote]

Hopefully some of the members here that have purchased one of their platform beds will see your post and share their comments.

I’m not familiar with it myself and I don’t know how rigid or flexible the slats are so I can’t make any meaningful comments based on actual experience but the description mentions that the slats are only 2" wide and are 3" apart so the gaps are wider than the slats so for an all latex mattress I would at least add the premium slat upgrade so that the gaps are about 1 5/8" (a little less than the width of the slats) and I would also use two support legs under each center support beam and with these upgrades I would think that it should be fine.

Phoenix

Thanks for all the great information. It helped me decided to build my own wood slat base to replace a regular box spring and support my soon-to-be-ordered sleepez full latex mattress (thanks to your info and a friend’s rec to use your site). I built my own to be able to get the top of the mattress as low as I could go w/ an antique bed (it wasn’t cheap because I used the best wood that made sense for this type thing.) I did that because apparently box springs when my bed frame was built were more narrow than modern box springs, so for more than 20 years I have had to rest my traditional box springs on top of the wood side rails/frame meant for a box spring to slip into. But doing it that way made the mattress 36" high! So, I made my own slat frame to eliminate the box spring, and thus lower it so I can get in w/o a running jump. The sales person at sleepez said horizontal slats should be fine (I added two vertical slats screwed in the inner edge to keep the slats from sliding around/off). The wood I used is strong, so, a vertical center slat seems unnecessary, but, before I finish this set up, can a full sized latex mattress be OK w/o a center support, and if it needs one, what helps hold it up? I saw a jack-like thing on amazon. but is that necessary? Like most beds, there’s nothing for a vertical rail to rest on.

Hi tlh205,

Antique beds were built in varying “odd” sizes so it’s not unusual at all that someone would need a custom size platform or foundation so that it would fit. I’m glad that some of the DIY designs were able to help you build your own :slight_smile:

Horizontal slats would certainly be fine as long as there is little to no flex in the support system and that the gaps between the slats (assuming that they are 1 x 3 slats) are no more than 3".

I’m not quite clear about the specifics of your design or how the horizontal slats are supported at the ends because it sounds like the only support that the horizontal slats would have is the two vertical slats which are attached to the edges of the bed. My concern would be how the ends of the horizontal slats are secured and supported and whether the entire weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it would be entirely supported by the two vertical slats which would give you only 4 load bearing points which may not be enough without center support to the floor.

I or some of the other members of the forum would probably be able to give you some better feedback if you could attach a picture of your design.

Congratulations on your new SleepEZ mattress as well :slight_smile:

You certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply! I think I’m OK because of the quality of wood and size of the bed, but I’ll ask sleepez again when I order in a minute. I wanted to ask your opinion first, though. Before building my thing, the info I got here was good advice from you on not using plywood and why then advice on the sizes of the wood slats needed and spaces needed between them. I WISH I had found other DIY plans here because it was stupid hard to find some myself that didn’t involve building a platform bed with drawers, etc., from plywood. What I wanted was really simple - and in the age of Pinterest simple isn’t what pops up in a search.

I also wish I had taken a photo before we put my current mattress on it. I put my old mattress on it to see how it felt and slept on that the past 2 nights to see if it would go boom. No boom - it feels hard as the floor, and ,made from hardy wood.

It’s basically 12 horizontal slats that are 53" wide (full bed) resting on each side on 2" of antique bed frame. Two pieces of wood placed vertically under them are screwed together to really act as a bumper so nothing slides off the bed frame. The vertical slats do not provide support. The support is only from the 12 horizontal slats that rest on bed frame.

I used twelve 53" long 1x4 boards (which are really 3/4" by 3 -1/2" boards) spaced 3": apart (a tad more in two cases - math; whattchagonnado), and they are all drilled on both ends into two 75" vertical boards (24 screws). The vertical boards are spaced 3.5" from the ends of the horizontal boards so so that part nest into where an old fashioned box spring would go. Again, those vertical boards serve no support purpose. I didn’t add a central vertical slat down the middle there’s nothing to support it - no bed I’ve seen has anything to support a central vertical slat unless it’s in a box system. If you know how to do that, please advise!

I’ll try and scoot the mattress over and take a shot of it.

So, I built something with just 12 boards held together by 2 other boards. Simple :slight_smile: Crazy making, but simple.

I don’t see how to attach a photo if I had one … I have a photo of something someone else built but I used more narrow and more wood.

Thanks again for your helps!!!

Hi tlh205,

I thought you had seen some of the suggestions in the first post in this topic which includes some links to DIY foundations and platform beds that you could use as a guideline.

If the center support isn’t load bearing then with a 53" span and with the weight of a latex mattress I would tend to put at least one center support underneath it (and possibly two). There are some suggestions in post #12 here that may be helpful.

Alternatively you could make your slats into T-Slats like this to prevent any sagging over time…

Phoenix

Thanks!

Hi Phoenix,

Would it make a difference if I bought a frame with a horizontal support bar (Spa Sensations by Zinus 7" Adjustable Bed Frame for Twin - Queen Sizes - Walmart.com) instead of one with a vertical center support bar? Thank you.

Hi shrini,

It would be one of the factors that could make some difference in how well a support system under a mattress supports a foundation, a mattress, and the people sleeping on it over the long term yes. Some of the other factors would include the combined weight of the mattress, foundation, and people sleeping on the mattress, the overall strength, stability, and weight rating of the metal bedframe (including the legs), and on how well the load bearing points of the foundation “matched up” with the load bearing points and surface area of the steel bedframe underneath it.

If you are using a foundation that has a center support in the middle that matches up with a head to toe center support in a steel bedframe then the load bearing points and surface area would be larger and distribute the weight of the components and people over a larger surface area which means it would likely be stronger. How much of a difference this could make in any specific situation over the course of the useful life of the mattress would be very difficult to quantify because of all the variables involved but it could certainly make “some” difference.

I would personally tend to err on the side of stronger and more supportive rather than just “cheaper” when I was choosing a bedframe because any additional cost would be small and I would tend to take a “better safe than sorry” approach.

Phoenix

shrini wrote:

It does make a difference. Most foundations have a head-to-toe center beam that runs in the middle of the product, and a double-wide head-to-toe center beam in a frame will provide more contact with the foundation itself and maintain better reinforcement in the center.

A side to side center support within a frame certainly can provide center support, but it will only contact the head-to-toe beam of the foundation at three points,

There are some foundations that don’t have a center head-to-toe beam. Instead, they have two head-to-toe beams that are about 1/3 of the way in from each side. In that case, a foundation with a side-to-side center support would be preferred.

Regarding the particular frame you linked, there are many choices available in the industry that are made much better and stronger. That particular frame you linked uses multiple pieces (I’m guessing for each of shipment) and the side rails are not solid.

Hopefully that information is helpful.