The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi raeberry33,

I’ll add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments … you should be good to go :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Thanks, Jeff & Phoenix!

So, a Casper mattress will be able to sit directly on the type of foundation that I have? (As long as it’s in good, non-dipping condition?)

I appreciate all your info!

I just purchased a king sized Obasan mattress and the bed frame that I would like to purchase has steel slats measuring 2"w x 1"h with a 3.25" gap.
Will steel slats work for a latex mattress and is a 0.25" difference in the gap a deal breaker?
Thanks in advance!

Hi Marshall,

With slats that are only 2" wide and gaps between them that are 3.25" wide the surface area that is in contact with and supporting the mattress would be less than with 1x3 wooden slats (that are actually 2.5" wide) so the gaps would be a larger percentage of the total surface area supporting the mattress than with a slat system that uses standard wooden slats with gaps that are no more than 3" apart (and preferably less) and are about 50% of the total support surface area. While it probably wouldn’t be an issue in the shorter term … the lower surface area in contact with the mattress would result in a greater risk that the latex would sag into the gaps in between the slats over the longer term although it’s not really possible to quantify the higher risk except to say it would be “less supportive” than the minimum guidelines that I normally suggest.

While it may be an “abundance of caution” … if you would like to reduce the risk then an inch or two of very firm polyfoam in between the mattress and the platform bed or adding a rubberized coir bed rug like this or something like the vinyl lattice here would reduce the risk.

Phoenix

Hi, I’ve been reading up about mattresses on these forums, and I recently purchased a Dreamfoam latex mattress. Their site says that a board is an acceptable foundation. However, I am concerned that it could possibly interfere with the ability of the mattress to breathe, given the way that the holes in latex appear to line up. What do you all think?

Hi mhswlee,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

As you know you certainly made a great quality/value choice and I’m looking forward to your comments and feedback once you’ve received it and have had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

I don’t see any comments on their site about a solid surface support system but you can see my comments about a solid support surface under a mattress (such as plywood or MDF) in post #10 here. While it would certainly be “supportive” enough … they can be an additional risk factor relative to the formation or mold or mildew … particularly if there are other risk factors involved that could contribute to the formation or mold or mildew in a mattress. Having said that … if there are no other risk factors involved then it should be fine.

Phoenix

This is very helpful information, thank you!

Hi mahlon65,

Welcome … and I’m glad the information here was helpful :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Looking for information on the Ergomotiion Adjusable bed/foundation. Not able to find much in the way of information on it. It is priced right at the moment, but told it is being discontinued.

https://www.afwonline.com/furniture/mattresses-more/adjustable-beds/prestige-wireless-dual-king-bases-pre-66

Does anyone have info on this model? I believe it is the ergomtotion 5100. To be used with the Brooklyn Bedding Medium latex mattress.

Thanks!!

Hi biker2035,

It would certainly be suitable for use with a Brooklyn Bedding BestMattressEver.

Ergomotion/Softide is a reliable manufacturer but the Softide 5100 has an 850 lb weight capacity and the model that you linked has a 700 lb weight capacity so I’m not sure it’s the same model but the price certainly appears to be very reasonable and if it’s new with a manufacturers warranty then it looks like it compares very well with other adjustables based on features/price comparisons (which is generally how I would choose an adjustable bed) and would be well worth considering.

Phoenix

Any thoughts on the Brooklyn Bedding Super Duty High Rise Platform Frame? It is similar to the other wire ones but they say it uses steel tubing instead of wires so that would provide more surface area for the mattress to sit on. I would be using it with Brooklyn Bedding’s BestMattressEver. I see a few reviews mentioning squeaking and I’m a bit wary because of that.

Hi noam,

I don’t have any personal experience with it but the BB Super Duty High Rise Platform frame appears to be stronger and more stable and has a higher weight capacity than many of the other wire grid platform beds and it’s likely that there would be less issues with welds breaking or the frame or legs bending. The thicker wires would also provide a little more surface area to support the mattress and it has more cross wires that are also thicker as well but all the wire grid platform beds have larger spaces and less support surface area than slatted foundations which may allow the mattress to sink into the gaps over longer periods of time (see post #10 here).

As you mentioned most of them that I’ve seen also appear to have some percentage of customers that report squeaking issues that may be difficult to locate and solve although it may be possible to fix the squeak either by re-tightening any bolts or adding a washer or by lubricating any metal on metal contact points that are squeaking (including the angled braces).

Overall I think it would make a reasonable lower budget choice for a mattress like the BME that has a firmer polyfoam base although I wouldn’t use it with a mattress that has a latex base layer.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix and Others,

I’ve been reading all of the great information here the last few days and about to purchase a Novosbed. As you may have guessed, I have a foundation question.

I’m looking at this bed frame in a king size - https://www.wayfair.ca/Baxton-Studio-Heidi-Upholstered-Platform-Bed-BBT6485-WHI6886.html

Through all the sites selling the product, there is no slat width or distance between the slats listed anywhere unfortunately… I was hoping someone could have a look and see what they thing about the width/spacing. Also it looks like they may be flexible slats? Would that be OK?

Here is a user image - http://imgur.com/a/wiPzk
And here are the assembly instructions - http://wholesaleinteriorsdownloads.com/pictures/AI.%20Active%20Items/Bedroom%20Furniture%20Beds/BBT6485.%20King.pdf

Thank you for any insight you can give!

Edit: I just heard back from the manufacturer’s outlet website that the slats are 2.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches between each. Novosbed suggests they are no less than 2" wide and no more than 3" apart. New thoughts please?

The biggest issue I’ve seen with beds like this with these type (MDF) of bowed slats is the gradual flattening and sagging of the slats (convex to concave). That’s something you’d want to keep an eye on through the life of the product. In a flat slat configuration, I prefer 1" x 4" (3.5" wide), with 3" or less between slats. The configuration you showed with the double head-to-toe rails would probably be “adequate” for your situation, but again keep an eye on those slats.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

hi all
After many many weeks of research, we’ve decided to go with a full latex mattress.
On the base - we are still pondering on adjustable (split eastern king) vs. non-adjustable (leaning towards adjustable).
During our research, we came across ErgoMotion / Softide. It appears that their “split king” set up (basically 2 x Twin XL) has a total width of 75 inches, 1 inch short of the width of the split king latex (38 x 2 = 76), and therefore about 0.5 inch short on width on each side. Do you think this may be a problem in long term use / support / longevity of the mattress?

No, this will not be an issue. The power foundations will sit next to each other with a small gap between them to allow for movement, and they are made slightly smaller than a foundation in order to allow for fitting within the perimeter of most bed sets. Additionally, 76" is the maximum width you’ll generally see for most king mattresses, and they can vary by 1" or so. You’ll be fine.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Thanks for the feedback.

Just because I don’t fully follow the terminology, do flat slats like on this bed below also run the risk of sagging? Or just the bowed ones do?

http://imgur.com/a/hbuIL

Thanks again!

Hi tietherope,

While I’m not familiar with the specific bed you linked … I can add a few general comments to Jeff’s as well.

The slats in your bedframe are flexible and like any “active” component in a sleeping system that responds to weight and pressure the flex in the slats can change the feel and performance of your mattress. “How much” of an effect they will have and how much you will feel it will depend on the flexibility of the slats and on the specifics of the mattress and on it’s thickness (you may feel the flex of the slats less with thicker mattresses than with thinner mattresses) and on your weight and sleeping positions. It may be beneficial or detrimental for any particular person but if the slats are flexing then it can certainly change the feel and performance of a mattress compared to using a rigid and non flexing support system underneath it. The only way to know for certain whether the platform bed/mattress combination would be a suitable choice in combination with a specific mattress would be based on your own personal experience. Because it can change the feel and performance of the mattress it could also affect the mattress firmness choice that is most suitable for you but again this would depend on how much of an effect the flexible slats may have in your specific situation.

In many lower budget platform bedframes with flexible slats the slats may be relatively weak and could be subject to breaking or as Jeff mentioned going through the level position which can result in the mattress sagging either initially or over time.

Also in many lower budget flexible slat platform bedframes the slats are inserted into plastic holders that don’t have any separate cushioning underneath them and they can be somewhat weak and subject to breaking as well. You may also be able to feel the non flexing center supports of the slat system through your mattress while the flexible slats on each side are flexing under your weight so the feel of the mattress across the surface may not be consistent and you may feel some “ridges” under your mattress. Again this would depend on the specifics of the slat system, the design of the mattress, and on your weight and sleeping positions.

It sounds like it doesn’t meet Novosbed’s criteria because the slats are too far apart although you could call them and provide them with the specifics of your platform bedframe and slats and ask them directly whether they think it would be suitable.

[quote]Just because I don’t fully follow the terminology, do flat slats like on this bed below also run the risk of sagging? Or just the bowed ones do?

imgur.com/a/hbuIL[/quote]

This would also depend on the dimensions, the strength, the rigidity, and the spacing of the slats. Some lower cost platform bedframes (which would includes the one you linked) use weaker slat materials that may also flex under the mattress even though they are flat and would also be more subject to breaking and sagging.

@jtinternet

I’ll add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I understand better now the issues with the flex support and hadn’t thought of feeling the rigid center pieces, while the rest of the slats flex.

We just bought our house and therefore are trying to find a bed within a certain budget. We looked at these ones because they cost the same as a standard metal bed frame + a headboard + a foundation, but were nicer with upholstered side rails and all. It looks now that just buying a headboard, frame, and foundation might be a better choice and at least worry free.

Thanks for the response! And a follow up question -
We were told by one of the latex mattress company that we need to put a “coconut” sheet between the mattress and the platform bed (not needed for slated bed), so that the mattress can breath more fully. I don’t think that’s necessary, and that i would only need to put the latex mattress right on top of the adjustable bed frame without anything in between - but would like to get expert confirmation.
Thanks again for the education.