The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Thanks for the feedback.

Just because I don’t fully follow the terminology, do flat slats like on this bed below also run the risk of sagging? Or just the bowed ones do?

http://imgur.com/a/hbuIL

Thanks again!

Hi tietherope,

While I’m not familiar with the specific bed you linked … I can add a few general comments to Jeff’s as well.

The slats in your bedframe are flexible and like any “active” component in a sleeping system that responds to weight and pressure the flex in the slats can change the feel and performance of your mattress. “How much” of an effect they will have and how much you will feel it will depend on the flexibility of the slats and on the specifics of the mattress and on it’s thickness (you may feel the flex of the slats less with thicker mattresses than with thinner mattresses) and on your weight and sleeping positions. It may be beneficial or detrimental for any particular person but if the slats are flexing then it can certainly change the feel and performance of a mattress compared to using a rigid and non flexing support system underneath it. The only way to know for certain whether the platform bed/mattress combination would be a suitable choice in combination with a specific mattress would be based on your own personal experience. Because it can change the feel and performance of the mattress it could also affect the mattress firmness choice that is most suitable for you but again this would depend on how much of an effect the flexible slats may have in your specific situation.

In many lower budget platform bedframes with flexible slats the slats may be relatively weak and could be subject to breaking or as Jeff mentioned going through the level position which can result in the mattress sagging either initially or over time.

Also in many lower budget flexible slat platform bedframes the slats are inserted into plastic holders that don’t have any separate cushioning underneath them and they can be somewhat weak and subject to breaking as well. You may also be able to feel the non flexing center supports of the slat system through your mattress while the flexible slats on each side are flexing under your weight so the feel of the mattress across the surface may not be consistent and you may feel some “ridges” under your mattress. Again this would depend on the specifics of the slat system, the design of the mattress, and on your weight and sleeping positions.

It sounds like it doesn’t meet Novosbed’s criteria because the slats are too far apart although you could call them and provide them with the specifics of your platform bedframe and slats and ask them directly whether they think it would be suitable.

[quote]Just because I don’t fully follow the terminology, do flat slats like on this bed below also run the risk of sagging? Or just the bowed ones do?

imgur.com/a/hbuIL[/quote]

This would also depend on the dimensions, the strength, the rigidity, and the spacing of the slats. Some lower cost platform bedframes (which would includes the one you linked) use weaker slat materials that may also flex under the mattress even though they are flat and would also be more subject to breaking and sagging.

@jtinternet

I’ll add a “ditto” to Jeff’s comments.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix.

I understand better now the issues with the flex support and hadn’t thought of feeling the rigid center pieces, while the rest of the slats flex.

We just bought our house and therefore are trying to find a bed within a certain budget. We looked at these ones because they cost the same as a standard metal bed frame + a headboard + a foundation, but were nicer with upholstered side rails and all. It looks now that just buying a headboard, frame, and foundation might be a better choice and at least worry free.

Thanks for the response! And a follow up question -
We were told by one of the latex mattress company that we need to put a “coconut” sheet between the mattress and the platform bed (not needed for slated bed), so that the mattress can breath more fully. I don’t think that’s necessary, and that i would only need to put the latex mattress right on top of the adjustable bed frame without anything in between - but would like to get expert confirmation.
Thanks again for the education.

I wouldn’t have too much of a concern placing the mattress on an adjustable bed foundation. There is usually already a piece of polyurethane foam on top of the wood deck and under the covering of the adjustable bed base, so some breathability is already there. I’d also have a bit of concern with the higher friction created by the coir rug against not only the bottom of the mattress but the covering of the power foundation, and what it might do to that material. But you certainly could use a coir rug in this situation. I am more of a fan using a coir rug when a mattress is placed upon a flat, firm surface that does not bend to provide extra breathability.

I hope that’s helpful.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hi jtinternet,

You can see some comments about support systems with a solid surface in post #10 here. A solid surface support system that doesn’t provide any ventilation underneath the mattress can add to the risks of moisture retention and developing mold or mildew or dust mites in a mattress but if there aren’t any additional risk factors involved then it should be fine.

If you have the mattress on an adjustable bed then there would also be some risk that the coir would tend to crease or break with constant bending. I (and many others) use an adjustable bed with a solid surface under my own latex mattress with no problem.

Phoenix

Hi, new here… I’ve been reading up on this great forum for the past couple weeks and getting educated on everything mattress related. Thanks to Phoenix and everyone else for the great info shared, it’s been very helpful!

After all the research, mostly here, I decided I wanted to try an all Latex mattress. I found a local store that sells Pure Talalay Bliss and ended up with the Nature model. Here’s the situation:

We have an older bed, bought new 10 years ago with a Simmons Beautyrest (Charlston I believe). I was told the Simmons box spring from back then was a decent box spring and I can continue to use it with the new Nature mattress, but I’m not convinced that the current bed/box spring setup we have is sufficient for the new mattress, specially with all the added weight of 10" of Latex.

Here’s a pic of the box spring, I tried to capture what’s inside, it has a wooden base

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/36240/...631.jpg

This sits on top of a king bed which only has the three slats shown below, with two legs for each slat

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/36240/...455.jpg

There’s no vertical center support, except for the two box springs. The rails have some sort of hooks that go into the headboard/footboard

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/36240/...520.jpg

Based on that information what is recommended to ensure the new Latex mattress won’t sag and the additional weight won’t be an issue? In 10 years this setup was fine with the older Simmons mattress.

Do I
1- Replace the bed with a platform bed and get rid of box spring?
2- Add additional slats, including center support and convert current bed to platform bed?
3- Replace old box spring with proper foundation box?
4- both 2 and 3 above?

If I was to add additional slats to the existing bed, could I just purchase the correct wood from a home improvement store and just drill into the lip on the rails to screw the slats in? I’m trying to keep the cost down since we already spent way too much on the mattress! :slight_smile:

Hi Bluesman,

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without any of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

You really have two options which would be to either modify your bedframe to make it suitable to support a foundation or to modify your bedframe and turn it into a platform bed that doesn’t need a foundation.

If you wish to use your current wooden bedframe with a suitable foundation (that has slats that are no more than 3" apart) then I would use at least 5 hardwood cross slats to support the foundation and if you don’t add a center support beam that supports the slats in the center with two legs under the center support beam then I would use a center leg on all of the slats to provide suitable structural support for a foundation. Alternatively you could also use 3 steel cross slats something like these or like these to provide suitable support for the foundation.

Your foundation appears to be a wire grid semi flex foundation that I wouldn’t use with an all latex mattress and I would replace it with a more suitable wooden slat foundation that has slats that are no more than 3" apart (and less would be better).

If you wish to turn your bedframe into a platform bed that supports your mattress directly without needing a foundation and you are comfortable with the lower height then I would add a center support that goes from head to foot and attaches to the headboard and footboard and has a couple of legs underneath it and then buy 1" x 3" rigid slats (the finished size would be about 3/4" x 2.4") that go all the way across from side to side that are attached to the lips on each side of your bedframe and at the center support beam. Again I would make sure that the gaps between the slats are 3" or preferably less and I would use a species of wood that has good bending strength and stiffness.

Phoenix

[quote=“Phoenix” post=66029]Hi Bluesman,

An all latex mattress will generally do best with a firm, flat, and evenly supportive support surface underneath it that has minimal to no flex under the mattress and for larger sizes with at least one center support beam that has good support to the floor to prevent any sagging in the middle of the mattress. The components need to be strong and durable and stable enough to support the weight of the mattress and the people sleeping on it without any of the parts bending, sagging, or breaking over time. The support surface under the mattress should have enough surface area to prevent the mattress from sagging through any gaps or spaces in the support surface over time but still allow some airflow under the mattress. I would suggest that in a slatted support system (either a foundation on a steel or wooden bedframe or a platform bed with a slatted support surface) that any gaps between the slats are no more than 3" (with 1 x 3 slats) although less than that would be better yet.

You really have two options which would be to either modify your bedframe to make it suitable to support a foundation or to modify your bedframe and turn it into a platform bed that doesn’t need a foundation.[/quote]

Thanks Phoenix! That’s what I figured, based on everything I read here.

A center leg with the additional slats sounds like a great idea! I’ll also consider the steel slats if I decide to get the correct foundation vs. converting the bed to a platform bed. If I install the 3 steel slats with center support do I remove the existing 3 wood slats?

That’s the plan, will probably replace with one of the recommended foundation in the first post. Any issues sleeping on the mattress for a couple of weeks until we find a replacement? I weight about 190 and my GF is about 115. I’m also assuming that because there are two twin box spring then there should be some center support?

We haven’t decided about the height, that’s why I’m leaning towards replacing the foundation, not a fan of very low beds… and I’m not sure I’m comfortable attaching anything to the headboard, doesn’t feel very solid. We were taking a look at different beds at a furniture store and thought this might work, if we go that route

The center support slat is screwed into the cross slats and had 3 legs, but nothing attached to the headboard.

Hi Bluesman,

I would remove them so that the height of all the cross slats under the foundation was consistent although if they are the same height as the steel cross slats then it wouldn’t do any harm to leave them in although I would make sure that one of the steel cross slats was in the middle of the bedframe.

It should be fine for the short term although if your semi flex foundation has any sagging or has more flex than a wood slat foundation then it could affect the feel or your alignment on the mattress.

Yes.

[quote] I’m not sure I’m comfortable attaching anything to the headboard, doesn’t feel very solid. We were taking a look at different beds at a furniture store and thought this might work, if we go that route
[/quote]

If you attach a leg to the center support beam that is reasonably close to the headboard so the unsupported span is relatively small (like the picture you attached) then it wouldn’t need to be attached to the headboard itself.

The final goal (regardless of the specifics of the design) is that you end up with a support system that is structurally strong enough to support the weight that it supports with very little to no bending or sagging and that any gaps in the support system (assuming that the slats are 1" x 3") are 3" or less. If you were to use narrower slats I would reduce the distance between the slats according so that the actual load bearing surface is about 50% of the total surface area.

Phoenix

Thanks again! I will order the Glideaway GS-3 support and pick a foundation, either the one from mattresses.net or sleepez, unless there are other options out there that cost the same?

Any opinion on whether or not this Spa Sensations frame would be acceptable for a Latex mattress (getting the Morgongova from Ikea for my daughter).

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Elite-Smart-Base-Steel-Bed-Frame/34974328

I have a headboard so I need a steel bedframe to attach to it and want a slatted base with spacing <= 2" apart.

I can buy a plain steel bedframe at Walmart (several options available) and go to Lowe’s and make my own slats from furring strips and space them ~2" apart with cotton stapled throughout to hold them together (it’s nearly impossible to find an affordable 2" spaced slat solution online (Ikea’s slatted base is 3" spaced)…)…but if the Spa Sensations could fit the bill, would save me a lot of trouble…it’s a criss-cross pattern so I’m unsure though.

Hi Bluesman,

I don’t know of any others off the top of my head but the list in the first post in this topic is meant to give you some good quality examples that are in a lower budget range and certainly isn’t a complete list of all the foundations that are available in the industry that would meet the criteria for an all latex mattress. If you do some google searching and find another one that you think would be worthwhile including as well then let me know and I’ll certainly add it.

Phoenix

Hi spup345,

[quote]Any opinion on whether or not this Spa Sensations frame would be acceptable for a Latex mattress (getting the Morgongova from Ikea for my daughter).

www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Elite-...l-Bed-Frame/34974328[/quote]

I wouldn’t use a wire grid foundation for an all latex mattress like the Morgongava. It may be suitable with some modifications although it still wouldn’t be my first choice (see post #10 here).

As long as your “final result” provides a stable rigid surface and the slats are strong enough and well secured to the bedframe and wouldn’t be subject to moving or sliding or falling through the bedframe and they have the necessary spacing with good center support then they should be fine.

If you are looking for a very low profile option then Lonset base should be fine as well as long as it fits securely inside your bedframe (make sure you measure it to make sure) and is fully supported along the entire length.

The Flobeds slat conversion kit here (you can see the prices in post #6 here) may also work well but once again I would make sure it fits securely and is fully supported inside your bedframe.

You could also use them directly on the floor if you wanted a very low profile sleeping system and eliminate the bedframe completely.

Phoenix

Thanks. I’ll call flobeds to get a better idea of what the slat conversion kit is all about. I was looking at the Lonset when I was at IKEA and it looked nice but once I read that the all latex mattress does best with a flat foundation, I took that out of the running since the slats are bowed. Are bowed slats like the Lonset ok? That could solve my issue as well.

Ultimately my daughter is seven and weighs 45lbs and I’m guessing will max at around 120lb before going to college give or take so perhaps I’m overthinking this foundation thing.

Hi spup345,

They would be supportive enough and the slats would be reasonably flat with the weight of the mattress on them. Flexible slats can change the feel and response of a thinner latex mattress to some degree which can sometimes be detrimental and sometimes beneficial in terms of alignment (depending on the person) but with the Lonset the effect shouldn’t be enough to be an issue with a child and it’s not something that I would be concerned about.

Phoenix

Good points (as usual), maybe will try the Lonset and see how it works out, can easily return and build my own worst case. Thanks!!!

Hi spup345,

As long as it fits securely inside your bedframe (if you are using one) and is fully supported … it should be fine.

Phoenix

Are the new foundations recommended by PTB and made by Ironwood recommended? Or should I stick with something from SleepEZ?

Hi Bluesman,

If you are referring to these then they would meet the criteria I listed in my previous replies and would also be fine.

Phoenix