The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi snl42,

Tension adjustable slat systems are a bit more common in Europe, where thinner latex and other foam mattress are more popular where the adjustment of such a slat system would be more noticeable.

I think you’ve misunderstood my explanation of the construction of most power foundation bases. You are not sleeping upon a metal grid, but a plywood deck. All power foundations will have some sort of a metal frame / lift network under them, whether they are topped with a plywood deck, wood cross slats or plastic modules. Here’s a video of a typical adjustable bed base that shows you what the underside looks like that might help you out.

You can see some comments about innersprings and electromagnetic (EMF) fields in posts #2 and #3 here . It’s personally not something that would concern me in any way. While I’m certainly not a health professional or an expert in electromagnetic fields but EMF fields from mattress innersprings, there are some people that believe they are harmful although I’m not one of them. I have seen and read articles about innersprings being a “health” issue because of electromagnetic fields, but I have never seen any specific evidence that is compelling to me and most of these types of articles use some very non specific anecdotal stories or what I would consider to be some questionable correlations that don’t provide any clear evidence that would directly relate to “passive” items such as innersprings or metal frames. I would personally be more cautious with “active” electromagnetic fields (such as living close to high tension wires, holding a cell phone too close to your head, or sleeping near active electrical fields or wiring as examples), but I personally wouldn’t have any issues with sleeping on an innerspring or adjustable bed in terms of health or safety (although I recognize that there are certainly others that have a different opinion). In the case of adjustable beds, they’ll all use some sort of “brain” underneath and also a motor (unless manually operated via hand crank), and that would be the most “active” part of their system, which again I wouldn’t personally have a concern about.

Phoenix