The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

I am in the process of selecting natural latex mattress and a foundation for it. I understand that wooden slats are recommended. However, when I looked at some of the adjustable beds, e.g. Leggett & Platt, I was informed that they are made of a metal platform. Are any of the adjustable beds made with wooden slats?

Hi snl42,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Adjustable beds are made with a metal frame network, on top of which is normally placed some sort of a wood platform decking that is usually topped with a thin piece of polyfoam and then coved in fabric. This would be fine for use with any latex, memory foam or “adjustable bed friendly” innerspring mattress.

There aren’t many adjustable beds available that use a slatted or breathable deck and most tend to be more costly. A few that do include …

Froli
Roewa Legra
Axel Bloom
Boyd also has a basic adjustable bed here that uses slats.
Swiss Sleep Systems
Glideaway is also introducing a slatted base that sits on top of a platform bed deck.
M+K offered at Berkeley Ergonomics

Phoenix

Thank you for the options. I’m checking them out. Will let you know. So far the Alex-Bloom looks like the only possible one (price and English website). . Seems like the Europeans are more into adjustable beds and slats than Americans. Somehow sleeping on a metal platform in the American ones doesn’t sound appealing. I have to know more about the construction of the more common American construction, eg. Leggett & Platt. Also, given how metal bed materials attract EMFs, one of the advantages of foam over inner springs seems to be negated with so much metal in the foundations. Thank you for being such a wonderful resource! Any further thoughts appreciated. Trying to decide soon.

Hi snl42,

Tension adjustable slat systems are a bit more common in Europe, where thinner latex and other foam mattress are more popular where the adjustment of such a slat system would be more noticeable.

I think you’ve misunderstood my explanation of the construction of most power foundation bases. You are not sleeping upon a metal grid, but a plywood deck. All power foundations will have some sort of a metal frame / lift network under them, whether they are topped with a plywood deck, wood cross slats or plastic modules. Here’s a video of a typical adjustable bed base that shows you what the underside looks like that might help you out.

You can see some comments about innersprings and electromagnetic (EMF) fields in posts #2 and #3 here . It’s personally not something that would concern me in any way. While I’m certainly not a health professional or an expert in electromagnetic fields but EMF fields from mattress innersprings, there are some people that believe they are harmful although I’m not one of them. I have seen and read articles about innersprings being a “health” issue because of electromagnetic fields, but I have never seen any specific evidence that is compelling to me and most of these types of articles use some very non specific anecdotal stories or what I would consider to be some questionable correlations that don’t provide any clear evidence that would directly relate to “passive” items such as innersprings or metal frames. I would personally be more cautious with “active” electromagnetic fields (such as living close to high tension wires, holding a cell phone too close to your head, or sleeping near active electrical fields or wiring as examples), but I personally wouldn’t have any issues with sleeping on an innerspring or adjustable bed in terms of health or safety (although I recognize that there are certainly others that have a different opinion). In the case of adjustable beds, they’ll all use some sort of “brain” underneath and also a motor (unless manually operated via hand crank), and that would be the most “active” part of their system, which again I wouldn’t personally have a concern about.

Phoenix

Thank you. I have 3 topics:

1. In terms of the foundation design of the adjustable beds, you did provide me with some links for wooden slats. Seems better for natural latex to have air circulation and possible more comfortable. Several of the links were to sites in German. The German one in LA Axel Bloom goes best with their european type mattress and there are no returns. Boyd’s seems like the only option for a wooden slat foundation for an american style, heavier, natural latex mattress. I’m am trying to reach them for more i info. I’ll let you know what I find out.
  2. Mattress: I found a Dunlop that has a decent return policy ($300 charge) if adjusting the layers does’t for out. But I think I would prefer a mattress that has at least a top layer of Talay. Can you suggest a company that might have that composition that is less than $2,000? Or perhaps if the all Dunlop construction is too firm, I could purchase a Talalay topper. I found one for about $400, any other ideas?
  3. RE EMFs-I appreciate your thoughts. I know there is not wide consensus but based on sources I respect, I think it is a consideration. However, there are other reasons to get an adjustable bed that might override the EMF concern.
    Thank you for your helpful input. this is an invaluable service you provide to us. I am in the middle of an acute hip injury and was not finding this info on my own searching.
    Best regards,

Hi snl42,

I added one more option to my earlier reply, the M+K. I also found the Pure Posture. There are quite a few more listed in a google search here. But most are not available in the USA.

I’m not sure what size you are considering, but many of the site members listed here in post #21 offer component latex mattress systems, and they allow you to choose a mix of Dunlop and Talalay, they have great return/exchange policies, and their pricing is very affordable. They are all very experienced and knowledgeable and specialize in providing the type of help and guidance on the phone that can help you make good choices. There are a wide range of latex options included in the choices there and I believe that all of them compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, and transparency.

I understand. Only you can determine what is part of your personal value equation, and the weight to give to each item on that list.

Phoenix

Thank you - I will check all this out.

Hi snl42,

Sounds good. I hope you are able to find something that suits your needs.

Phoenix

Hey there. If anyone of you is having problem with choosing best base for mattresses, I suggest you to go to [ADMIN- Link Removed] and check what they have to say. They made my life easier!

Hi hasansohaib,

Your post linked to a mattress promotional web site (and a poor one at that), which is a violation of the rules of the forum. Please abide by the forum rules or this will cause your posting privileges to be terminated and your account to be banned from the forum.

I removed your original post.

Phoenix

Hello,

Thanks for an very informative blog. I don’t see it mentioned anywhere and I was wondering if you have reviewed or are familiar with the Ikea Espevar foundation.

I have measured the distance between the slats at 2 5/8" so it would be a good candidate for a foundation for my memory foam mattress in that respect.

Thanks so much

Hi renee,

While this site is not a review site, you can use the search feature on the site and perform a search on Espevar (just click on the link here) you’ll see some comments made here by myself and site members about that particular foundation.

Phoenix

Thanks!

Hello,

We have a King Size #BME, but we already have a 14" steel platform - the issue is that the steel platform has vertical 5" spaced firm (but thin) steel wires, crossed with 1" thick horizontal cross-bars spaced about 12" apart. edit: looks like this: SmartBase® Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation | Zinus

It’s a relatively new platform and we’d like to continue use it if we can to save money - from what I’ve read browsing this forum, the wires are spaced too far apart. We tried overlaying it with 1/4" plywood but it made the frame too creaky, as well as the issues identified in this forum for risk of mold/breathability.

Is there something else we could lay over the wires? In post #1 it was mentioned a strong fabric, but I’m not sure what the best solution would be. I can also see some people are using a coir bed rug, but the cost of that (in Canada) is almost as much as a new foundation — any thoughts? Thanks, and kind regards for all the helpful information.

I should also mention that I reviewed post#1 for alternatives if we can’t make the steel work - I would love to hear if anyone had any suitable Canadian foundation options that don’t break the bank!

~M

Hi mgrimace,

The plywood option is usually the most cost-effective, but as you mentioned it can be noisy if you don’t place some sort of a fabric layer between the plywood and the metal grid network. If you can’t find any coir or coco mat material that is affordable, you may wish to look and see if you can find thicker breathable fabrics at places like Jo-Anns or other fabric stores. Also, you may wish to visit any home improvement stores where they have carpeting on a roll and can cut you a section and see if there is something substantial and affordable enough to do the job.

There may be others who have come up with alternatives who can share their solutions as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, that helps!
~M

Hi mgrimace,

Forum member Santouche just found a product like this in Australia: www.matworld.com.au/mats-matting/wayfarer-unbacked/ . It’s an unbacked, pool / wet area matt. I don’t know if you can find anything like that near you that is affordable, but it is another option.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I am replacing my foundation as I think it is a weak link.

I saw you mention this usboxspring one at the beginning of this thread. Do you think this would be good support for either a memory foam bed or a latex bed ? I would be choosing the low profile version

Thanks!

Hi Ari,

Yes, this would be a good quality foundation and the construction and slat spacing would work well for either a memory foam or latex mattress, and it certainly is an item worthy of your consideration.

Phoenix

And when all was said and done lol
I went with sleeping organic Premium RTA Mattress Foundation
low profile at 5"
1" thick slats
3" wide slats
Approx 2.75" spacing

I like the idea of the 1" thick slats , no flex there!
It’s more expensive then some of the foundations but less then others. I also requested no wool since they do use a wool in cotton cover. That was not a problem for them.

Now to find something to put on it lol