The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hey Phoenix,

I am considering buying a plush Alexander Hybrid from Nest Bedding but can’t decide between which base to get.

I found this Zinus base that looks rigid and is supposedly silent (no creaking) but has no adjust-ability (something I am still not sure about how often I would use).

I also found this adjustable base from Blissful Nights but am unclear as to if it squeaks or not.

Any insight on either of these two?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Bluman56.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I do not have personal experience with either of these products but just by looking at them it seems that any squeaks or noises that may develop (if they happen) would not be difficult to fix. You are looking at some good options but the choice between them would always be based on your own preferences, confidence, and “risk tolerance”. While Zinus has been discussed quite often on our site and you can do a forum search ( just click here) Blissful Nights is a name brand for adjustable beds and memory foam mattresses made by South Bay International Fontana, CA.(which also makes the Sleep Science mattress brand exclusively for Costco) that

I’d keep in mind that Zinus is advertised as “engineered to be silent” and while it has some bushing between the sections there is always the possibility that with use over time it may develop some squeaking from the hinges, but most of the squeaking would come from the flex of the joints not the parts with bushing or legs which have the plastic caps for hardwood floors.

For the Blissful Nights, any squeaking would come from cotter pins and the various mechanical joints. It also has the patented adjustable legs that have the potential to squeak between the joints as they are screwed together in a stack. The legs would need to screw together tightly so that they would not flex and make noise. And any moving parts that have any potential squeaking can be easily mitigated with some good quality grease.

I hope this helps.
Phoenix

I recently purchased a 10" thick latex mattress. The seller specifies it should be placed on a solid (not slatted) surface such as a plywood/MDF platform. However, the new high-end frame I’ve ordered has thick, closely-spaced wooden slats, which slide into dovetailed grooves on both sides. I would think slats are better both for ventilation/cooling, and also because it seems desirable to have some flex (as long as it is consistent and small). It would be easy enough to cover the slats with plywood/MDF … but it just doesn’t seem like the better way to go. Thoughts? Is there any real risk to the latex layers from putting them on slats with a 2.5" gap?

Hi Cloud999.

As always with any foundation, I’d make sure to check with the mattress manufacturer the foundation requirements necessary for any specific mattress to make sure that it does not void the warranty or adversely impact the long-term performance of the mattress.

Generally, when considering a suitable foundation depending on the bed design there are many things to take into account and each manufacturer has their own requirements. For example, when considering a slatted surface the are many important factors such as the width & thickness of the slat, the space between slats, the structural integrity of the center support and because of the many variables involved some of the manufacturers chose to have the “safest” option baseline requirement. Generally again, most latex mattresses a 2.5" gap between slats would be sufficient, but every mattress company will have their own specific recommendations for the foundations to be used under their mattresses, and some recommend slat gaps as small as 2" (such as Savvy Rest with the ZenSpring model) and some require a solid surface altogether. For an all-latex mattress that is naturally very breathable, plywood support surface would be an excellent solution and certainly couldn’t hurt. A more breathable option would be a coir bed rug between the mattress and the slatted surface but again whatever you decide I’d run it by the manufacturer/retailer themselves.

I hope this is helpful to you and I look forward to any updates or comments you might have.

Phoenix

Hi!

Quick question about this: any one have any experience with the thicker (9") SleeponLatex mattresses and bed frames with slats? Just want to ensure adequate ventilation and proper support for the mattress (and my spine!)

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi bdpoof.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! ?

Latex is naturally breathable and one of the most “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. A slatted foundation also is the best type of foundation that allows for adequate air circulation under the mattress. Any temperature regulation issues you might have would be more connected with the other variables that are involved such as your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range. Some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

You are certainly looking at one of the most temperature neutral and a very good quality/value choice from Sleep On Latex. I hope you have a chance to let us know what you ended up purchasing it and how it works out for you.

Phoenix

Hi bdpoof.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Latex is naturally breathable and one of the most “temperature neutral” of all the different types of foam materials but the firmness of a mattress and how much you sink into it can also affect sleeping temperature as well. A slatted foundation also is the best type of foundation that allows for adequate air circulation under the mattress. Any temperature regulation issues you might have would be more connected with the other variables that are involved such as your room temperature and humidity, your sheets and bedding and bedclothes, your mattress protector or any mattress pads you are using, and where you are in the “oven to iceberg” range. Some people can sleep warmer on mattresses that most people are generally fine with … there is more about tracking down a potential cause or causes for temperature regulation issues (at least to the degree possible for a specific mattress) in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

You are certainly looking at one of the most temperature neutral and a very good quality/value choice from Sleep On Latex. I hope you have a chance to let us know what you ended up purchasing it and how it works out for you.

Phoenix

Hi y’all,
Having a bit of trouble with my platform bed so here we go - I attached a couple photos of my 2 year + 3 month old “Reno” platform bed (from Costco) $1000 (!!) You can see the flexible slats are pretty uneven, especially on the left side where I sleep the most. This wasn’t the case when new, they were all identical.

The slats have weakened and failed to the point of me basically sinking into a hole - this led me to flipping and turning my mattress more often, which never seemed to help very much, hah! I never thought to so much as glance at the slats at any time since the bedframe was new, and somewhat expensive coupled with the fact my mattress was quite old. This set me out on my epic journey of mattress shopping homework about 9 months ago, eventually finding this site, then purchasing a new GOLS natural latex mattress. After 3 or 4 nights I began realizing the same issue was there, and that it had to be the slat system.

Regardless of tossing a perfectly good yet aging mattress (lesson learned) I’m ecstatic with the new 8" GOLS latex from MFC. But I need to address the failed slat issue and thought somebody here may have seen this before or have better ideas of how to repair it.

First thoughts are contact Costco for refund - done. No response yet but I’m not hopeful since it’s past 2 years.

The frame seems fairly strong and well-built and I’d like to get some of my moneys’ worth out of it. So…
do you think removing the slats and the plastic anchors to replace with full width slats on the bare frame is a good fix? Or replace with a piece of 3/4" plywood over the bare frame? I’ve read about the concerns surrounding airflow, dust mites and so forth.

Any input or suggestions appreciated.

I have no experience with your specific platform bed, but would be optimistic that Costco will likely offer you a full refund with your original receipt as long as you’re still a member. They have a very liberal lifetime guarantee for their members on most products they sell with a few exclusions for computers and some electronics.

Here’s hoping! Still awaiting response but I’ll post back soon as I hear.

Meanwhile I’ll continue thinking of the best fix. Maybe a whole new “drop-in” prefab platform? I don’t have a space to build anything unfortunately.

Hi Brewer.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :lol:

I am glad that you are enjoying and are "ecstatic’ on your Maoli natural latex mattress from Memory Foam Comfort. You purchased a great quality/value choice from MFC, our Trusted Members here which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency.

I agree that you’d need to fix the slat issue sooner rather than later, not only to ensure adequate support and adjusting to the new sleeping environment but also to make sure that you preserve the integrity of your mattress and that you do not void its warranty. From the photos you sent it appears that the spacing between the slats in the Reno foundation is about between 2.5 -3" (or greater) I’d also keep in mind that a stated surface can change the properties of the mattress unless it is part of the design… in fact, most of the latex mattresses in North America are designed with a firm rigid and non-flexing foundation in mind. While having 2.5"+ spacing between slats probably wouldn’t be an issue in the shorter term … the lower surface area in contact with the mattress would result in a greater risk that the latex would sag into the gaps in between the slats over the longer term which will have a higher risk or damage to the mattress (although it’s not really possible to quantify it ) and the, gaps with a larger percentage of the total surface area supporting the mattress would be also “less supportive” than the minimum guidelines that I normally suggest.

You may want to reach out directly to MFC about the requirements for this speific product or read through the manufacturer recommendations for a similar product straight from MFC’s warranty policy for their Organic lines:

*The Organic Latex mattress requires a solid platform with proper ventilation or solid wood slats greater than 2 1/4" in width and no less than ¾" in thickness, no greater than 2" apart and must be supported by a center mid-rail with at least two independent supports to the floor. This slat width, thickness and distance supported to the floor in at least two spots by the midrail provides optimal airflow and proper support of the mattress. Anything less has shown to cause premature failure of the mattress. Slat material must also be pre-dried to less than 10% moisture content to prevent splitting of the slats and eliminate the danger of mold formation."

While slats are a good idea because they allow for more ventilation and control of humidity in the mattress and may help with the temperature regulation, this would be of a minor concern with a latex mattress which is naturally resistant to dust mites and also the most breathable type of foam due to its more opened cell structure.

With Costco’s very liberal return policy here it looks like your purchase is covered and it is definitely worth pursuing it. If for some reason returning the bed frame does not work out for you, replacing the flexible slats with solid slats thicker than ¾ inch and with a less than 2" gap would meet the specifications required by MFC. Replacing the flexible slates with plywood would create even a sturdier supportive system for your mattress and if ventilation under the mattress is of concern you can always add a product such as this bed rug here.

I’d be curious about the outcome of Cosco return. I guess you are a bit stuck with deciding on your next step until you hear back from them. :frowning:
I look forward to any future updates you might have.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix, your knowledge is invaluable and appreciated. And… thanks for saving my mattress! :cheer:
From Costco: [quote]Thank you for contacting Costco.

In response to your email, the item you are referring to only has a standard warranty and only certain items have extended warranties and no furniture items are included in this list. However upon reading your experiences with the bed frame, we have requested our resolution team’s assistance with your request. An agent from our resolution team will follow up within 5-7 business days.[/quote]

I don’t want to wait that long, the mattress is still less than 2 weeks old so the time is now! Tomorrow I’ll grab a 3/4" sheet of plywood cut to size and drop in atop the entire platform slat system and use that until I hear back. If approved I’ll return the bed, if not I’ll remove the entire slat system from the frame then and use the plywood until I can acquire a properly built platform for this mattress, or build one atop this frame.

Stats of the slats in the photo are ~3" apart, 1/2" thick, 2" wide. Weak.

Obviously I should have taken time to at least read the warranty policy, due diligence (!) Ugh.

It’ll get sorted, and quickly thanks to your help. Thanks again!

Hi Brewer,

Glad to be of assistance! B) … Thanks for your update with Cosco’s followup… I am glad you’ve got this encouraging reply from them. Thanks also for confirming the slat dimensions and gaps for other members that may run into the same issue. :wink:

It seems like you have a good plan in motion,… let us know how it works out. I look forward to any new updates you have and to finding out the results of Costco’s resolution team about the failing foundation.

Phoenix

Hello! I was hoping someone could answer a question about base layers for me. Costco recently started selling a Casper mattress specifically designed for them but is $400 cheaper than buying from Casper. I chatted with Casper and they said it is identical to The Casper except that the base layer is two inches thicker. The entire mattress becomes 12" tall instead of 10". Is that likely to change the firmness or feel of the mattress? Is it likely to make it more durable/last longer?

Thanks so much for your help!

No word back from Costco yet, but my makeshift plywood platform makes the mattress feel that much better again! This is a pretty good temporary fix until I hear back, afterward the plywood will be repurposed so I’m not losing. Will post back with status updates.

Thanks again!

-Brewer

[quote=“Phoenix” post=78586]Hi Brewer,

Glad to be of assistance! B) … Thanks for your update with Cosco’s followup… I am glad you’ve got this encouraging reply from them. Thanks also for confirming the slat dimensions and gaps for other members that may run into the same issue. :wink:

It seems like you have a good plan in motion,… let us know how it works out. I look forward to any new updates you have and to finding out the results of Costco’s resolution team about the failing foundation.

Phoenix[/quote]

its a very helpful article for me thanks a lot off.

Until recently, I had a standard queen sized metal bed frame w/ wood slats for my SleepEZ Roma mattress + 3" mattresstopper.com (Brooklyn Bedding) latex topper. The foam wedge I used for acid reflux just wasn’t cutting it. Brooklyn Bedding is currently running a Labor Day special until 9/3/2018, LABORDAY20 for 20% discount on mattresses and ACCESSORIES30 for 30% off accessories. The 30% discount made their queen adjustable electric bed frame price out at $280 (Reg. price $400). It’s a very basic electric adjustable with no vibrator, no USB ports and a wired remote control, but it seems very sturdy. It shipped very quickly via FEDEX, ordered on Thursday and delivered in Atlanta the following Tuesday. Assembly only involved screwing in legs, so no tools were required, but due to the weight and bulk of the bed frame, an extra pair of hands is strongly recommended for setup.

I’ve only used this adjustable bed for a couple nights, but so far, it meets expectations.

https://www.brooklynbedding.com/products/foundations/electric-adjustable-base/

Hi everyone,

My fiancee and I are currently shopping for a bed frame + mattress for our new place. We spent a lot of time on this website and also chatted with the representative from MFC and we are interested in the Maoli mattress.

We also ended up loving a specific bed frame from our local furniture store - it’s a Queen bed frame with a pull-out storage drawer underneath. The bed has a solid platform made from plywood and there are two supports underneath where the drawer would go. I have attached the photo of the bed frame at the store for your reference. This is the link to the bed frame in question:
Alf Italia Imperia Queen UPH Bed w/ LED Lights and FB Storage

The MFC rep did mention that the Maoli would work on a solid plywood platform that is supported in the center. My main concern is it doesn’t look like the support is at the center, but closer to the sides. Would this cause any issues with the mattress?

I want to be sure the bed and mattress will work together before making such big purchases! We highly value our sleep!

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

In shopping for latex mattresses, I came across two conflicting sets of requirements from different sellers. At least one brand (Zenhaven) requires a solid surface (such as plywood or MDF) under the mattress. Other brands typically require slats with a certain maximum spacing to allow for air flow (in order to avoid mildew/mold and to allow the mattress to sleep cooler). My last mattress had a latex core, was placed on a solid (or nearly solid) MDF surface for about 15 years, and I never saw any sign of mold/mildew. However, for air circulation and comfort, I think I’d prefer strong hardwood slats.

Hi Himoy.

Welcome to our forum.! :slight_smile:

This product is made from “Wood Veneers & Solids” with a large drawer from the footboard. The word “solids” is ambiguous, since it could mean either “solid wood” or “solid composite” (probably MDF). It’s not clear from the picture if the platform is plywood or MDF, but in either case, it is well-constructed for a bed of that size. The platform is well-supported by the box structure that houses the drawer and is attached to the sides with a lengthwise mortise which is a strong connection. (You can’t see this in the picture you sent because the platform and the sides are black but you can see it in the picture on the product website where the black solid base is cut into the white sides of the bed with a mortise. Then it looks like the drawer itself slides into a stand-alone box structure which adds support to the plywood/particle board on which the mattress rests) The drawer itself doesn’t appear to go the entire length of the bed, which would mean that the supportive box/drawer sides probably don’t go all the way through to the headboard, so there is probably some additional support underneath. (I can’t tell this from the picture so you would need to check on that.) While the support is not central, it is on either side of center, so overall it looks like this platform bed has a solid and supportive construction. I also called Mario at MFC to ask for his opinion to make sure that the foundation is appropriate and doesn’t void your warranty (which apparently you already did as well :slight_smile: )

Good luck with your purchase
Phoenix