The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi Himoy.

You are welcome! I am glad that to be of assistance… but most of all … Congratulation on your new mattress from MFC! :lol: :slight_smile:

I am happy that Mario worked closely with you to find a good layering combination for your needs. As you are aware Maoli is a good quality/value product using durable materials. Memory Foam Comfort is one of our Canadian Trusted Members here and like with all the members I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry. They are also very knowledgeable and very skilled in guiding their customers to make the best possible choices out of the many options they have available.

I’ll be interested in learning about your experience with Maoli once you’ve had a chance to sleep on it a while and adjust to it.

Phoenix

Phoenix,

I have the Casper mattress in cal-king size. I have a wood platform bed frame. The bed frame is low and I want my mattress to be a little higher. I was thinking of getting bunkie board 2" (which is the perfect height for me) and put it in between the frame and the bed. Is this a good or bad idea?

If it is not a bad idea, if I get a bunkie board, is getting one that is split or not split, an issue with memory foam mattresses?

Thank you.

I have an all latex mattress and I am currently looking for a foundation for my mattress. The mattress is too heavy and is poking through the slats beneath. I was wondering if you have a recommendation for a foundation with drawers? I’ve looked a good deal, but can’t find one that has drawers and can support the weight of an all-latex mattress. Thanks!

Hi Farabeast,

We carry 2 models of wood platform bed frames with drawers made in Canada. If you add an extra slat bundle ($75) your spacing between the slats will be less than 1" which is more than enough to support your latex mattress and 2 heavy sleepers. The drawers are on wheels, so their work independently of the wood bed frame and are not affected by the weight applied to the frame.

Hope this helps

Cheers

This post might belong here instead of on the Zenhaven thread…please move if needed!

Is there an update on the Zenhaven foundation?

I’ve had the slight sensation of having to roll up to the edge of the Zenhaven and being pulled towards the middle of the bed. I can just ever so faintly see the bow in the mattress. This post made me check my foundation and it is definitely wood slats placed 8" across and covered with some fabric. It is NOT upside down…the bottom is JUST fabric, no slats.

There doesn’t appear to be any sort of cross piece…which might explain why my bed is sagging towards the middle just a bit. The slats are on top, and then there is some sort of surface underneath them that appears to span the whole bed. Feels like cardboard or thin wood, maybe?

The sensation is slight but it does irk me a bit…I didn’t think to look at the foundation til this post! I am still in the return window for the mattress and am gathering as much information as I can to justify that decision and go into the next one better informed.

Hi Phoenix,
I have a memory foam mattress with a platform bed and the slats are very far apart (only 5 slats total). I purchased a bunkie board to lay on top of the slats. After using the bunkie board for a few months, I get sharp pains in my ribs after sleeping for a few hours. It’s so bad, I can’t even take deep breaths when I first wake up. I think my bunkie board was made with cheap material and is broke/sagging because when I put my mattress on the floor I don’t have the rib pain anymore. I weigh about 205 lbs and the mattress is 100 lbs.

I found this thread when googling rib pain and it seems similar to my issue. https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/why-do-my-ribs-hurt-on-everything-i-sleep-on

I don’t really know what to buy at this point. I was looking at a steel bunkie board but the steel slats on the one I’m looking at are about 5" apart so I’m not sure if that will work. Zinus Quick Lock® Easy Assembly Metal Slat Bunkie Board, Queen - Walmart.com

I’d like to keep the platform bed and mattress if I can. I need something that will support me and the memory foam mattress without pain. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi BackPain100,
It sounds like your current base is not giving your memory foam mattress the support necessary and that’s what’s causing your pains.

We suggest platform beds with less than 2" spacing between the slats for optimal support.

If you want to keep your bunkie board, we suggest adding a 3/4" thick plywood over it, as long as none of the metal slats are broken or bent in anyway. This should give you and your mattress the necessary support needed and hopefully resolve your issues,

hope this helps
Mario

Hello. I have noticed that some foundations are $500-$800! That seems like a lot, however, I want to make sure I get a good frame or foundation for the new mattress I buy. It just sounds like a lot of money. I am thinking of purchasing a hybrid, coil and latex. I am between 250-300 lbs, 5’4 (partner is not overweight) with very bad back issues. The mattress will be an investment of at least $2500.
How much is too much to spend n a foundation or frame that is supportive? Thank you so much!

Hi workitoutgirrl,

[quote]I am thinking of purchasing a hybrid, coil and latex. I am between 250-300 lbs, 5’4 (partner is not overweight) with very bad back issues. The mattress will be an investment of at least $2500.
How much is too much to spend n a foundation or frame that is supportive?[/quote]

That depends on your budget. If you are buying a coil mattress with latex top, a simple wood slat boxspring with metal frame will do the trick for under $250. If you have the budget for a platform bed frame, you can follow the advice of TMU on the platform bed suggested guidelines

You don’t need to spend top much money to get a reliable platform bed frame, but you may have to spend a few hours searching to get one that fits your style and budget. Another option is to make one yourself, there are plenty of DIY tutorials on youtube.

Good luck in your search!

Hi guys! I am getting a Obasan Premium mattress (after days of researching), but it hurts to pay an additional $1000 for the foundation! So I would like to purchase a foundation or frame somewhere else.
The Obasan is a Queen 10" organic rubber tree latex, consisting of three layers.
I am not much of a DIY person. Can anyone recommend a good foundation that can be used with this type of mattress, that is a little more “budget friendly”? Please. Thank you :silly: :slight_smile:

Hi workitoutgirrl,

What are the foundation requirements needed by the Obasan mattress in order to retain its warranty?

Hi MFC - thanks for your response. here is what the manufacturer said:

“make sure to get a solid-slatted base; gaps in between must not exceed more than 3” apart. Centre leg in the middle of the frame is highly recommended to prevent any caving-in or sagging down the road. "

We would like to save the $1k buy buying a separate foundation. Especially since we want to be able to store plastic storage bins under the bed.

Hi workitoutgirrl,

Look at Ikea or Wayfair for different low cost options,

all the best

Not gonna lie, after some thirty-five pages of reading this thread, and the various guides on this forum? I’m starting to wonder if finding good frames is harder than finding the right mattress for yourself that fits your PPP needs.

Frames/platforms/bases/foundations, whatever your terminology may be… there’s so much going on.

I just purchased a queen sized Spindle Latex Mattress with the Mattress Underground discount! My current bed has a solid plywood base with sides and a footboard/Headboard. For ventilation purposes I was planning on putting 3 5/4 x4’s the length of the bed, then screwing 1x4’s 3 inches apart across the bed. My issue is I feel like with the sides the mattress will stop any ventilation. The obvious answer seems to be to drill some holes in the plywood underneath, just not sure what size and how many.

Hi disalex,

We suggest to drill 3/4" holes and leaving 1.5" space in between each hole (on all sides)
That will give you enough support and proper ventilation for your mattress,

Good luck with the project

Hi! Sorry, I just saw your reply. I am new to the whole buying a bed thing. I’m a little worried about buying from Ikea - are they really that durable? I hope I can find a base, frame, or what have you. Wish me luck! Thanks

Has anyone seen and can provide thoughts on this?

I just purchased the ultimate hybrid? What foundation would be best?

I have these two options and am open to more. Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9SWDJ/ref=psdc_3248801011_t2_B06WW5WW7Q

Or

https://www.amazon.com/Zinus-Profile-Mattress-Foundation-Assembly/dp/B06WW5WW7Q/ref=zg_bs_3733071_12?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=RPMSA98Y9JGJND732BZZ&th=1

Hi Drrazhar

Provided that you check with the mattress company for the requirements of the support system under their mattresses, this particular foundation seems to be a good quality/value option. It is very similar to US Box Spring with their natural wood foundation here.

Spruce is stable and has a very good strength-to-weight ratio, (which is why it’s used in boat-building and musical instruments) For those with allergy concerns, spruce is also not likely to aggravate any allergic reactions (like some pine, fir or cedar might) and is using Alcolin wood glue. It is marketed specifically for latex mattresses and seems to be strong, but simple and easy to assemble (no tools required) Normally a slatted wood base with solid slats should be no more than 3" apart (or preferably less) for a latex mattress or … up to about 5" that would generally be fine for a polyfoam support core which is stiffer than latex but less than 5" gap between slats would be preferable and would also generally be stronger and more evenly supportive.

There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm with the retailer or manufacturer of your mattress that any support system you are planning to use under the specific mattress you purchase meets their warranty requirements and guidelines.

Phoenix