The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Thanks… Would such a wood slat foundation make the latex mattress breathe enough?

Any other source that ship to Canada?

Thanks

Hey John667,

Yes the slatted foundation with the approx 3.5inch spacing gives enough space for breathability. I would check with the member’s sites but besides the members from Canada listed below, I added 3 USA expert members sites that ship to Canada.

Dormio Organic Beds (in Canada) - http://dormio.ca/

MFC (In Canada)- https://en.memoryfoamcomfort.ca/

Arizona Premium - Latex Mattresses On Sale - Latex Mattress Toppers - Phoenix, AZ

Luma Sleep - Luma Sleep website here

Sleep EZ - https://www.sleepez.com/pages/shipping

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks

I wrote somewhere here before but lost track where. A little tough to navigate so sorry if I’m repetitive on here. Our latex mattress is coming in Monday and right now I have a new br black foundation that’s made of steel and wire. I’m hesistant to use on our all Dunlop latex mattress so I’m looking at foundations. I ordered my mattress from plush because of the customization and the marketing they’ve done with green keywords. There wood foundation states it’s rainforest approved and something else approved that I forget. Any members on here offer the same type of foundation but at a less price. $400 for a pallet seems so outrageous to me. I’d rather buy a platform bed for that kind of money. Thanks for your help.

WHAT ABOUT A BUNKEY BOARD ON TOP OF OUR BOX SPRING??

Hey Supasta33,

Thanks for the post. The type of wood foundation you are talking about is usually around $400 for king size. That’s funny “$400 for a pallet seems outrageous”…which I would totally make a comment like this over many traditional box springs, but these wooden slat foundations are entirely different.

If you are using a bunkie board instead of a non flexing foundation then as long as the bunkie board is strong enough to support the mattress and the people sleeping on it and the support surface is suitable for your mattress then there is really no difference between using a bunkie board, a low profile foundation, a regular foundation, or a platform bed other than the height of your sleeping surface.

Regarding bunkie boards, If your bunkie board has a solid support surface instead of a slatted support surface then it can limit the airflow under the mattress which can be a risk factor in some environments (see post #10here ) and I would tend to prefer a slatted support surface unless there is a compelling reason not to.

There is more about choosing a bunkie board in post #4 here and in post #4 here.

Thanks for the post, let us know if you have any other questions.

Sensei

To check that out what could be the right choice in the case of foam mattresses, what people normally do is to have a mattress on the trial basis and then make a decision. You might get the quality and the right thing in this way but there is always a chance that you will get what sparks first and then dulls with the time. The best option here will be to get the mattress after going through the foam mattress reviews.

The Purple mattress doesn’t support back well.
My wife has mid-back pain, and this mattress unfortunately made it worse. After 2 months, we just could get used to the feeling of the “grid.” It’s very cool, but in the wintertime, it was sometimes hard to stay warm while sleeping on this mattress. The return is very easy and the customer service is great.

Hey protons,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thank you for the post about Purple mattress, very interesting about difficulty staying warm in the wintertime. Glad to hear the return process went smooth.

Let us know if and when you have any other updates or questions. Thank you

Sensei

Hi All, a newbie here!

I finally “turned on” a DIY Eastern king project: 6 twin XL pcs, 3" thick, all 100% Talalay, 2 are 32-36 ILD firm, 2 24-28 ILD medium, 1 19-24 ILD soft and 1 14-19 extra soft. I got a 9" organic cotton, 9", zippered cover, totaling ~10" height. We plan on experimenting the best combination to suit our comfort.

Also plan on buying a lift storage wooden platform bed, with a metal base insert and 2x14 slats, 2¼" W each and 3¼" spacing. I read through this whole thread and I find a huge variety of numbers, considered “safe range” of slats sizes and/or space between the slats.

I’m trying to avoid buying a bed, where that great mattress would start “leaking” through the slats spaces.

Would love an advice…

I wish I was more a DIY type of guy. So far I really like MFC latex mattresses, but I wish I was able to build or find a tall foundation, so I could get on bed at 26". It’s possible it seems, but very expensive. Still looking.

Hi John667,

We can actually make a custom hardwood platform bedframe for you that’s 16" high from the floor to the top of the slats. If you add a 10" latex mattress on this frame, the top of your mattress will be 26" off the ground.
To figure out the cost of making such a custom bed frame, simply choose from any of these platform bed frames and add 25% to the total price.

hope this help your search,

All the best

John667,

My current bed, Simmons foundation and mattress, is 30"H.
The mattress is 13" which turns the underneath to 17"H. These are metal sub-frame and “box spring”.
In such configuration you can add a 2"H bunkie board and a 10"H mattress and you’ll get to 29"… or, what am I missing?

AD

Not sure about bunkie board or boxspring with latex. It needs to be hard yet breathe. I might go with MFC solution, but it’s expensive.

Hey ADF,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :). Sounds like you are well on your way to getting a very nice Talalay latex mattress. I think you have a very good group of ILD’s so it will be interesting to see which “mix” you like best. I would certianly use a progressive build up, maybe you try it first w/o the final 14/19 plush and add that layer if you see you need a little bit more pressure relief? Just a thought.

This is really the TMU recommendation taken from this Phoenix post #1.

Thanks for the post, let us know how you DIY latex works for you.

Sensei

I keep trying to start a new topic but havent had any luck. I cant seem to find the new topic button. Anyways…

Why are the wooden foundations for latex mattresses so expensive?! $400 seems so high. Especially in this day and age where platform beds and bunkie boards are just as sufficient. Reason I’m asking is because we want to buy new furniture and the one we really like requires a “box spring” but for us a foundation because we have an all latex mattress. Right now we have it on a fairly new box spring that we had for our innerspring mattress that we returned for the latex mattress.

If anyone knows where to buy a solid wood foundation thats sturdy and wont break for less than $400 please let me know :slight_smile:

Supasta33 - Was where you are 2 weeks ago. Decided to replace the bed with a platform (that also lifts up) bed, with slats.

The solution I had found is “Zinus Joesph Modern Studio “XX” Inch Platforma Low Profile Bed Frame / Mattress Foundation”.
Replace the XX with 6", 10" and 14" height. It’s ~$100 and very sturdy combination of metal and wooden slats. Find it on Amazon and even home depot carries those.

Hope it’s what you are looking for.

Very cool, thank you. I was hesitant on the zinus foundation because it’s a wood medal combination but I guess that probably doesn’t matter. You have an all latex mattress? It can hold the weight and is all good?

I have a very heavy Eastern king 199% natural Talalay mattress: 2x Twin XL firm, 2x medium, 1x soft, 1x ultra-soft. Wrapped in organic cotton cover (anther 20lbs). I had the 10" foundation which turned out to be too high for the bed I had (6" would have been too short). Returned it and bought a lift up storage platform bed, with slats,

Hey Supasta33,

Thanks for the post. And thank you @ADF for the great information and help provided.

I have not checked all of the member’s sites, but a quick check and I did see that Luma Sleep has king size for $300 and Ghostbed has a king size for $295.00.

But as many of us have said, there are many foundations that are solid quality and would work perfectly well for many people. I think this is the one you are talking about Zinus Joseph Steele Platform Bed Frame, which looks nice. Zinus is a solid company, does a really nice job, nice website also.

I didn’t see how many inches between those slats? Or if there are any weight recommendations or warranty, or quality of the wood, etc, …just curious… seems like a good product, great price, storage space advantages as many of the newer metal frames have…and slats now. Hey @ADF, update if you have any of that info with the product, if it’s not too much trouble, would be great for any consumers. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,
Sensei