The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Also has anyone tried kd frames, I’ve seen good reviews online and they are decently priced. Thanks

Yes, we got a queen frame from kd frames, very pleased with it. Easy to assemble, made in US, solid tulip poplar.

I went with the kd frame as well but in a twin xl; and am pleased with the design/build quality. I need to build a backboard down the length
(kinda like a daybed) and am wondering what’s the best way to join the existing legs to the backboard as simple backboard construction I see the legs are flush with the backboards, making them 90 degrees from kd frame legs. I don’t really need or want arms, just the back to stop the roll of feel as it’s not up against the wall. I’ve seen where they just nailed (but I’d screw if this case) down the side where the 2 boards join; doesn’t seem like it’d hold up, but perhaps with some angle brackets as well? I don’t know, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It appears to be an easy enough build except how to attach it to the frame. I do have some extra pieces from a kd frame that might work as well, and that way could just sandwich boards onto the kd legs, with some bolts thru where needed. Attaching some pics of some ideas…

I got a good deal on a Tempurpedic mattress (I know, I know :lol:) and am in need of a foundation. I’ve gone through a lot of the links here and none quite work with either their slat requirements or my wife’s curb appeal. Would there be any issues with tempur’s foundation? I saw from a 2012 post that their drawback was in breathability because it was solid, but I’ve confirmed with them that they are now using a steel grid. Would that resolve their prior heat buildup issues?

Hi Phoenix,

I’ve recently purchased a double/full size natural latex mattress made in Vietnam (KYMDAN | Our Quality Your Comfort - Kymdan Deluxe Mattress). Level 1 firmness (foam density 175-200kg/m3. 15cm thickness. Came from a soft spring box mattress that was 12 years old.
Apologies for the incoming metrics, from Aussie!

I had purchased a new bed frame/foundation but used 10x wooden slats from my old frame (12 years old). These wooden slats were Pine wood, 3cm thick and 9cm wide. The gaps between these slats were around 8.5cm - 10.5cm. I slept on this for a week and it was comfy, it was the right firmness for support with plush for comfort.

However, I realised that these gaps may be too wide and reduce the lifespan of my new mattress. So I went and bought brand new slats. 14x Pine wooden slats 3cm x 9cm. Now the gaps are 3.5cm - 4.5cm (around 1.6"). Sleeping on it for the past 3 nights I feel like the firmness has increased and gotten less comfortable than previously with 10x slats.

I want to be comfortable but I also want to preserve the life of my mattress. Note that I can’t change the slats anymore without effort (and a big hammer!) since they’ve been “super glued” to the frame.

Questions:

1. Are my new gaps of 4cm (1.6") too close and detrimental to a side sleeper? I don’t want to have issues with my shoulders and hips over time.
  2. Do Natural Latex mattresses soften over time to become more comfortable? How long on average?
  3. Weird that my warranty states gaps should not be more than 3cm, which seems very close.

I’m mid 20s, 73kg, 170cm, sleep on my side and back.
Thank you in advance for your advice!

Hi Redfox!

Thanks for your question and congratulations on your new mattress! Welcome all the way from Australia! We love the Aussie unique strain of healthy humor (with and without a good night sleep) :slight_smile:

[quote]I had purchased a new bed frame/foundation but used 10x wooden slats from my old frame (12 years old). These wooden slats were Pine wood, 3cm thick and 9cm wide. The gaps between these slats were around 8.5cm - 10.5cm. I slept on this for a week and it was comfy, it was the right firmness for support with plush for comfort.

However, I realised that these gaps may be too wide and reduce the lifespan of my new mattress. So I went and bought brand new slats. 14x Pine wooden slats 3cm x 9cm. Now the gaps are 3.5cm - 4.5cm (around 1.6"). Sleeping on it for the past 3 nights I feel like the firmness has increased and gotten less comfortable than previously with 10x slats.[/quote]

I appreciate the background information. I entirely understand wanting to use the correct base for your new mattress and get the most comfort and longest life out of your new purchase!

You have a latex mattress and you are using pine slats (3cmx9cm). I realize there is not a whole lot you can do with your frame, since the slats are currently glued in place. That said, if you feel the mattress is too firm, you could try with 7.6 cm (3") gaps maximum for better comfort.

I took a look and can see that the mattress is 100% natural latex. All foam materials will soften over time but natural latex, in general, is the most durable of all the foam materials so it will soften less and more gradually than other types of foam materials as it is denser, more resilient, and more supportive than its blended or synthetic latex counterparts.

The softness of a foam material will also affect its durability because softer layers are less durable than firmer layers that use the same type of material, and foam materials will also soften and break down faster for those that are in higher weight ranges than for those that are in lower weight ranges.

There will be a break-in and adjustment period for any new mattress or sleeping system as the mattress loses any of its “false firmness” and the cover stretches and loosens a little and the materials settle and your body gets used to a sleeping surface that is different from what it is used to (Learn more about that in here).

You may have already come across this resource, but it never hurts to check out/compare the specifications of the mattress you have purchased with our Mattress Durability Guidelines.

With 6" mattress thickness (15 cm) I think you are just on the threshold of sleeping well and not so well on this mattress mainly because the mattress is a bit too thin to allow for a right comfort/support balance for a BMI of 25.3 kg/m2 (73kg, 170cm) which leads me to believe that you might do well to add a topper. If I could comfortably afford it there is no doubt I would go in the direction of adding more thickness to the mattress (see post #14 here ) and also check that then the topper/mattress combo is a good “match” for your weight range in terms of PPP, but I would wait for the adjustment period before I would make that determination.

The first thing to do is always to check with the mattress manufacturer you’ve purchased and ask (in writing) of their opinion and permission to make sure that the foundation is appropriate for the new slat arrangement and doesn’t void your warranty (the difference would be between .5 – 1.5 cm which is not too much and I expect that a good manufacturer would not void the warranty). But you need this in writing if things don’t go as well as you expect with the durability of the product.

I agree that 3cm seems close and IMO not that necessary. Most manufacturers recommend 3" (7.62 cm) or preferably less for latex. You would also want to compare this with the width of the slats themselves. I would consider you also check the recommended slat width with your mattress manufacturer if that information is available.

I hope this helps offer some clarity regarding the best base for your new mattress!

Jethro

Hey Jethro!

Thank you very much for the response and effort into looking at all the information I provided.

From what you have written I’ve got 3 options in mind.

1. Increase the gaps in slats to 3 inches.

2. Purchase a 2" topper. I haven’t researched enough on this but I want something that isn’t too thick. I want something that is flat and smooth. However my mindset is that a topper is usually a temporary fix to the issue. Like putting a band aid on it. Doesn’t bear well with me to use one on a new mattress and I also like the surface feel of my mattress.

3. Sell my current mattress and purchase the slightly thicker option. So a change from 6" to 8". Would the difference even be noticeable to match the effort and cost? It would leave me out of pocket of $1000. I don’t expect to use this double mattress for more than 7 years as I plan to move out of my parent’s home and purchase a queen bed in the future and pass this on to a sibling (I can’t buy a queen mattress now as my room’s too small).

I may try a topper if I find a suitable one. If you have any in mind that would suit me please do show. But right now I’m leaning towards option 1, reducing to 12 slats. Bring out the hammer gentlemen!

I realised with option 1 that pulling out the slats from the foundation took some wooden parts of it off. Like the sides of my foundation are wood and it’s like a 1 inch platform to hold the slats in place if you understand what I mean

Hi again :slight_smile:

[quote]From what you have written I’ve got 3 options in mind.

1. Increase the gaps in slats to 3 inches.[/quote]

That would be good idea if the mattress manufacturer says this slat arrangement is appropriate for your mattress. If you think you will be shifting the slats to try out different sized gaps, you may want to use wood screws to help set the slats on the 1" platform you mentioned. You have 3 cm slats so a #8 x 1 ¾" screw will work.

If you use an electric drill, do it with a slow speed and put the screw head a little inside the slat (depth) before starting the drill, sometimes too much speed and force can cut through the slat.

Like SleepEZ mentioned in their reply to you (they’re a wonderful resource with a lot of knowledge!) a 2" soft Talalay topper would be a good choice. I wouldn’t consider it a band-aid solution as all, especially when latex is popularly used for DIY mattresses and layer exchanges/additions are common. This is an effective way to give you support and comfort on the mattress, but I understand you’d miss the surface feel of your mattress.

Another option you could consider (albeit unconventional) for a boost in height/additional support between your body and the base, and salvage the “surface feel” of the mattress is to get a DIY Latex layer or even cheaper polyfoam of 1.8 lbs/ft3 density could would work well if it is a little firmer you can place it under the mattress. There may be a bit of shifting over time as it is not encased but the new system would work as 8" mattress and certainly add some softness. (the thicker the mattress the softer the feel)

I would suggest again that a topper or DIY layer is a real solution. I wouldn’t make such a large investment in the search for 2" when a latex topper is comfortable, durable, and much more affordable. I think, especially with a topper, you would have no problem getting 7 years out of this mattress. Like SleepEZ suggested - it wouldn’t be out of the realm of possibility to get many more years than that out of this mattress, depending on certain other external/usage factors.

I can’t make a recommendation for a specific topper but anything that’s a high-quality latex and appropriate ILD for your needs and preferences should be satisfactory. Good luck with the slat adjustments. Definitely keep us posted on how it works for you!

Jethro

Hey Jethro,

I’m about to pull the trigger on purchasing a new latex topper as you have mentioned. However is talalay superior to dunlop?
This is the topper I’m interested in. It’s 6cm although I think 5cm is latex and 1cm may be the cotton cover. It’s selling for $409 aud ($293 usd) and has a 100 night trial. If I’m unhappy it’ll get picked up from me for a refund.

I just ordered the Love & Sleep queen mattress from Nest (thanks to the great info on this forum!). Are any of the Ikea bed frames (Malm, Nordli) appropriate for this mattress?

Hi Redfox,

I think you’ll be pleased with the result of adding a topper. Definitely keep me posted as to how it works for you.

[quote]However is talalay superior to dunlop?

This is the topper I’m interested in. It’s 6cm although I think 5cm is latex and 1cm may be the cotton cover. It’s selling for $409 aud ($293 usd) and has a 100 night trial. If I’m unhappy it’ll get picked up from me for a refund.

www.fernearth.com.au/products/fern-mattr…riant=20496568320070[/quote]

Talalay and Dunlop are fabricated differently – one isn’t necessarily superior to the other. For the same ILD, Talalay feel is softer, bouncier, and springier than Dunlop and a great option for pressure relief on hips and shoulders. Dunlop is denser and firmer, and overall better at offering adequate support for proper spinal alignment. Talalay is the most popular option between the two when it comes to toppers.

I did a bit of browsing on the topper you’re considering. It does appear to be a full 5cm of latex (Dunlop). It appears this company prefers Dunlop over Talalay because they find it eco-friendlier in its production. It looks like they offer a luxury plush option if you’re looking for softer support.

Overall, it looks like a high-quality product. I think you can probably safely try this topper, and if you dislike it, rest assured (pun somewhat intended) that you can return it for a full refund and try a Talalay option instead.

Best of luck!

Jethro

I purchased a king Flobeds vZone yesterday and am trying to figure out what I’m going to rest it on. My bed is a platform bed from Room and Board. It has steel slats that are spaced approximately 5 inches apart. Flobeds, like most latex mattress manufacturers, recommends slats 3 inches apart or less.

Interestingly, Room and Board sells a latex mattress but they claim that no foundation/bunkie board is necessary.

Regardless, Room and Board sells the following platform board, which I’m considering placing the mattress on: Platform Board - Modern Bedroom Furniture - Room & Board

This is 0.25 inches of polyurethane foam over 0.625 inches of particle board, and then wrapped in upholstery. I’m wondering if this would be sufficient.

Alternatively, I could either buy additional slats for the bed, or purchase Flobeds’ coir, although the platform board + coir route is more than I’m looking to spend.

Curious what you all would recommend, thanks.

It would seem to me that the platform board would be suitable, but since you purchased the mattress from Flobeds and want to ensure you meet their warranty requirements I’d suggest contacting them directly to get their agreement.

Congrats on your purchase of a Flobeds vZone mattress!

• Bill

hi all. any recommendations on a foundation for king size latex or foam mattress where a headboard can easily be added? prefer solid wood. thanks.

Hi iwannasleepgood.
Here is what we recommend for using headboards with various frames that were not meant for one another. Simply attach a picture bracket or two to the back of the headboard. Then put one screw for each bracket into the wall where the headboard is supposed to go. Then stand the headboard against the wall, hanging it into that brackets so that it stands with its weight on the floor. And the brackets hold it from falling over. Then simply push your bed against the headboard and your done. We recommend this because if you need to move your furniture around it is easily done with the pieces being separate. Also it allows you to use virtually any frame with any headboard. And you don’t damage the frame in the process of attaching something to it.

Hi iwannasleepgood

A good nights rest does start by having a good foundation for a base.

Some focus a bit too much on design for look and feel. The reality with a bed skirt your not going to be looking at the bed frame that often.

So the ultimate goal is sleep.

If you do select a wooden frame it will give you more DIY options to add a headboard piece.

If you go metal / steel make sure the vendor includes this headboard piece and not an expensive surprise upsell.

Happy Dreams

my Ikea frame is very low, something to think about. I’d like something a bit higher.

the Next bed might be nice, they are not in Utah though. MY local Latex place carries Posh+Lavish.

Looking for a solid frame and nice Full size mattress with at least latex top.

Did you purchase with your queen kd platform bed the center legs for added support? I know it says it supports up to 600 lbs, but I just wonder if there would be any sagging in the center support beam with a latex mattress without support legs in the center.

Thanks!

Hello,
In your post above under the “solid platform surface such as plywood” paragraph you mentioned “a coir bed rug”. Can you please be more specific? Is this a coconut coir or some other type of coir? Because this bed is for a camper I do not have much of a choice concerning the base. It is a plywood base and I need to know what is the best way to keep any mold from forming. Should I use a special paint? I can drill holes in the 3/4 inch plywood, but don’t know how big or how far apart.

Thanks for the help!
Jeff Steinmetz