The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

I just ordered the SleepEZ9000. Do you think this foundation will work for the mattress plus my wife and I (~400 lbs between both of us)?

https://www.amazon.com/Handy-Living-Full-Wood-Frame/dp/B002KQ5KQ6/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

Hi ZG10,

I would be very cautious with purchasing a lower quality flexible slat foundation for an all latex mattress and it certainly wouldn’t be my choice. A forum search on “handy living” will bring up more comments about it but overall I would make a higher quality and more supportive choice that was more suitable for a high quality all latex mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you so much Phoenix! I have just ordered the V-zone matress and the Euro foundation from Flobeds (hopefully my money is not wasted on the foundation because the V-zone is a somewhat thick matress). In any case, I will come back to review both of them after trying them out.

Hi WWang,

Congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

I think you made a great choice that has many options for customizing (including the foundation) and I’m looking forward to your feedback when you have a chance to sleep on it … and of course the results of any customizing you may end up doing as well.

Phoenix

Hello Pheonix,

In the first post in this thread you mention that a high quality cloth should be used between a metal grid foundation and a latex mattress, but what kind of cloth do you specifically recommend?

I’m returning a memory foam mattress once I hit the 60-120 window for return. I was going to keep the foundation and use it for a newly purchased dunlop mattress from FoamSweetFoam, but after measuring and seeing it has more than 3 inches of space between the wooden slats I’ve decided to go in a different direction.

If money were not an issue, I’d get the foamsweetfoam metal frame https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/queen-foundation.html and use whatever cloth necessary to keep the mattress safe, but since I would save $50 bucks off the sticker price and not have to pay state tax, I’m considering getting the Wood Foundations. Spruce wood with cover.

Do you think the mattress.net foundation would suffice, or should I get the metal frame and cloth?

Hi Walkin,

The idea of the cloth is because of my own personal concern (and other latex manufacturers I have talked with as well) that latex is very flexible and can easily sink into the gaps in the support surface and because the wire grid types of foundations don’t have as much support surface as a slatted foundation and over time the wires could impress into the latex and break it down more quickly. The type of cloth wouldn’t matter as much as the idea that a tight cloth could help to provide a more evenly supportive surface. You can read a little more about wire grid foundations and my thoughts about them in post #10 here. If I was to use one of these foundation under an all latex mattress I would personally tend to use a very firm layer of polyfoam or the bed rug I linked over the foundation.

If the gaps in the foundation are close to 3" then a firm layer of polyfoam or the bed rug could also provide a more even support surface as well that may be a lower cost option than buying a new foundation.

The mattresses.net foundation has gaps less than 3" and I would personally choose a foundation like this vs any wire grid foundation for an all latex mattress.

Phoenix

Thank you for the tip. I forgot to mention that I will have this on a bed frame I’ve had for 14 years. Should I get a new frame or can I ditch it and just use the wooden base?

Hi Walkin,

If you use a foundation you will need something to hold it up off the floor so if you have a steel bedframe something like this that’s in good condition then you could use it to support the foundation.

Phoenix

First of all, let me just say thank you for this amazing guide. It’s helped a lot!

I’m currently considering getting a FloBeds vZone with an Euro Slat foundation. However, I was wondering how the foundation will fare if I get the bed customized to a 180 × 200 cm (71 × 79 in) size (My country’s equivalent to the American King size).

Can it be used with this custom size, or will the foundation also need to be adjusted? I’m guessing the latter, in which case I’d probably be better off getting a different foundation all together.

Hi Viking,

I would personally be more comfortable with a foundation that was the same size as the mattress both in term of performance and in terms of appearance. Although it would probably still “work”, the weight wouldn’t be evenly distributed over the entire surface because the foundation would be 5" wider and 1" shorter than your mattress and your foundation would be “sticking out” past the sides of your mattress which may be a little uncomfortable if you sit on the edge or when you are getting in and out of bed. I would check with them though because they are more familiar with their foundation than I am and would be in a better position to provide advice about any potential issues with a different size foundation or whether they can supply a custom foundation size but if not I would tend to buy a foundation that was the same size as the mattress.

Phoenix

Are the headboard adapters for the different metal platform frames interchangeable? I’m probably going to grab the Malouf from the first post, but It would be nice to save a couple bucks on the adapter.

Also, can anybody confirm that this model actually has the 10 wires? Every other similar bed frame looks like 7 in the photos.

Thanks

Hi Joeboo,

I don’t know about the adaptors but there are quite a number of different metal bedframes that range from 6 wires to 11 wires.

I don’t own one but the picture here indicates that the Malouf has 10 longitudinal wires on each side.

Phoenix

Thanks. I’m going off the Amazon images as well, but I was hoping somebody had actually laid their hands on one to confirm. I’ve learned the hard way that sometimes “stock images” don’t always reflect the final product.

Just saw this one, but have no experience with the seller.

http://www.collegebedlofts.com/order_low_platform_bed.html

Hi Pheonix,

I am looking at purchasing a select foam king size regalis hd. The foundation they offer through their site is made by CPS Wood Products and has gaps between slats that are 3-3/8" apart. Would that be a good choice or should I be looking for another foundation with gaps less than 3 inches?

Thanks,
Nate

Ok, I just received my Malouf bed frame and it only has 7 wires like all the cheaper versions. The rest of the frame seems to be in good shape so I guess I’ll see how it goes.

Also, they no longer provide a wingnut/bolt system to hold the sides together. It comes with a plastic clip. I guess time will tell how it holds up.

Hi tcornflake,

I generally suggest checking with the manufacturer to make sure that any foundation would be suitable for their mattress and would meet the warranty criteria but in this case it would be fine (because they sell it with their mattresses) and would be fine for any mattress with a polyfoam base layer. If the base layer was latex which is more flexible and elastic then I would make sure that the slats were no more than 3" apart as a maximum.

Phoenix

Hi Joeboo,

You were certainly right in your previous post where you mentioned …

Thanks for the heads up … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

It makes me wonder if they’ve changed it or it was always that way … but either way I’ll have to find the time to confirm some of the other ones on the list as well.

What size is your bedframe?

Phoenix

I have a queen. Now I’m waiting for my Dreamfoam mattress to arrive so I can try the whole set up.

Hi Joeboo,

That may be the reason for the lower wire count. They are based on a twin XL size which is wider than half a queen.

I still plan to make some calls when time permits though to verify the information in the foundation thread though to make sure it’s accurate.

Phoenix