The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi paycee,

I don’t know so you would probably need to call and ask them. If I had to guess I would say it would probably be a little over 3" similar to some of the other KD foundations listed in the foundation post.

Phoenix

hello all, i just bought a dream foam supreme memory foam mattress on amazon, i’m excited. my existing platform foundation has slats that are 3.5" apart. i see that 3" is the max for latex, does this apply to foam as well? do you think the existing platform will be sufficient?

it is identical to the following:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HomCom-79-8-Leg-Queen-Size-Wood-Slat-Metal-Sleeping-Platform-Bed-Mattress-Frame-/141121225656

thanks again for everyone’s assistance

Hi skyserfin,

The polyfoam in your support layer is “stiffer” and less flexible than latex so normally a platform foundation with solid non flexing slats with 3.5" gaps would be fine (assuming it is strong enough for your mattress and the people sleeping on it and also has good center support to the floor).

Based on the picture though … your frame appears to be the same as the Handy Living bedframe/foundation. A forum search on “Handy Living” (you can just click this) will bring up more posts about it (including the first half of post #11 here) but overall it wouldn’t be my first choice because it doesn’t appear to be the strongest choice and the flexible slats are a little further apart than I would be completely comfortable with.

Phoenix

First, I want to say that I didn’t think that shopping for a new mattress was involved as it is. I am thrilled that I stumbled upon this website for so much help. I feel I would be getting so much better quality bed from the manufacturers listed on this website compared to your normal bedding places.
I am thinking about getting the Natural latex mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. I currently have a platform bed with a split regular box spring. How do you feel about putting plywood over the current boxspring with a bed rug. I need the additional height from the box spring. The latex mattress does not give the height of other mattresses. I hate sleeping low to the ground. I would already be spending more than I wanted to with the latex and I feel this would be a way to cut corners.

Hi lciccar222,

I haven’t tried the combination together but if it’s stable (doesn’t sway or shift when you sleep on it) then it would think it would be OK.

Phoenix

FYI the Metal Slatted Foundation at US Box Spring has been discontinued. :frowning:

Hi Fergy,

Thanks for the heads up :slight_smile:

It was only available in a limited supply and I’ve removed it from the list of foundation options.

Phoenix

What do you think of the latex foundation that latexbliss offer? I think it have 2 inch of latex.

Hi hmorneau,

The Pure Latex Bliss latex foundation uses 4" of latex on top of the foundation.

It will change the “feel” and performance of the mattress and generally make the mattress feel softer. Whether or not the extra cost was justified would depend on whether any improvement in terms of PPP and the feel and performance of the mattress was worth it to you.

Their regular foundations aren’t the best in terms of their structure and quality (see post #5 here for a picture) and I’ve talked with a number of retailers that wish that Pure Latex Bliss would supply a better quality foundation with such a high quality mattress.

Phoenix

If the quality of construction of a Flobeds foundation worth the extra cost? Sleep EZ uses a KD foundation with velcro slats and the Flobeds uses four screws per slat. Both required assembly but the slats on the Flobeds are essentially fixed.

The Flobeds foundation is almost 2x the cost of a KD sleepez.

Hi Km,

For most people the SleepEz foundation would be fine but for those who are in heavier weight ranges or who would otherwise benefit from stronger materials and construction or a more rigid and supportive surface with less flex or more surface support area and are comfortable with the additional cost then the Flobeds foundations are higher quality and would certainly be “worth it” for those that preferred it or were more comfortable choosing a higher quality but also more costly foundation.

Like other similar choices and tradeoffs between higher quality products that also cost more than similar products that would also be a suitable choice (such as buying a suit as an example) it would really depend on the person and which way they tend to lean with a “quality vs price” tradeoff and the parts of their personal value equation that are most important to them.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix, don’t know if you remember but I’ve got a cotton zippered cover and three 3" slabs of talatech coming and should be building my mattress later this week, which leads me to your recommendation. I have a brand new queen suite made out of solid walnut and as part of that project I asked the craftsman if he’d throw in a 5.5" tall box for the foundation which he did…and then I read this thread. So, I checked with Mr. Coffey at LI who I’m buying the latex from and he said that because latex is mildew proof, it does not require ventilation from below unless your prone to bedtime incontinence. According to Bill there are enough holes and the rubber is open cell such that it self ventilates. Said he does latex for boats all the time and there’s never been a problem.

Christina of SleepEZ who I bought the cover from confirmed what Bill said. I asked about using an old steel foundation I have (for ventilation) and she emphatically said “no, don’t do it”. Said the plywood topped box would be fine with no moisture problems. The box is open at the bottom with the slides resting on 3/4" slats.

Now, don’t spank me, I’m just the messenger. :slight_smile: I’m just telling you what these long time manufacturers are recommending and as you know, Bill’s Dad invented the latex chemistry and talalay process decades ago. I don’t what to have to go thru the hassle of drilling holes in the plywood top or use a coir bed liner.

Regards,
Mark

Hi Mark in Texas,

I agree that it’s very unlikely that you would have a mold or mildew issue with Talalay because it’s so breathable (although some covers may be more prone to developing issues than others). You can see my thoughts about it post #10 here.

As it happens I also have a solid surface support system myself (an adjustable bed) and it’s certainly not something that I have any concerns about although if everything else was equal I would still choose a slatted foundation.

You have nothing to worry about here either … I’ve heard dozens of different suggestions from hundreds of people I respect about almost every issue that is connected to mattresses :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I’ve purchased an Ultimate Dreams foam mattress Dream Foam - Dream Foam and a bed with slats from Costco that are approximately 3 inches apart (http://content.costco.com/images/content/misc/PDF/11738056.pdf). The bed is a Twin XL do I need any additional support under the mattress?

Hi sjz98765,

I don’t know the weight the bedframe is capable of holding and I would want to make sure that there was little to no flex in the slats when you apply weight to them but based on the picture and from what I can see it looks like it would be fine to me.

Phoenix

Question for Phoenix

Would you see a problem with using the “bed rug” on the floor? my place is MERV 13 filtered, small and very controlled environment (wood floors).

Ive been thinking about taking the jump to Latex, and I don’t think my current platform is tight enough.

Cheers

Hi The_brooke,

As long as you are comfortable with the height of your sleeping surface there shouldn’t be any problem at all.

Phoenix

I have a question about the center support needed for a queen size latex mattress. We have a sleigh frame, just a flat frame with slats. It has four support legs, a rigid exterior frame and a central support bar (runs from foot to head of frame). The slats are 2 and 3/4" apart. The central support bar is attached to the main frame and provides additional support to the slats. Is it necessary to have an additional leg or legs under the central support bar? I’ll attach a picture later if that’s appropriate. I really don’t want to have to purchase a foundation because it will add more height to the bed, and I just don’t like the way foundations look (I prefer seeing wood, not the cover). Also, I want the storage space under the bed. This frame was made locally and it’s solid, but I know latex mattresseses are heavy. We’re looking at natural dunlop, up to 9".

Thank you, as always. Still exploring local spots to lie on mattresses.

Well, I answered my own question by looking at the warranty requirements at two online places, and both require 5 legs on a queen frame. I should be able to add a fifth leg and use the existing frame without voiding the warranty, although I know that really I would have to purchase the seller’s foundation to have a fuss-free warranty. Savvy Rest’s Ivy frame is comparable to what we have, only it has that middle support leg.

Hi Bouven,

The slats sound fine but it would probably be a good idea to have at least one and preferably two legs to provide good center support to the ground. Some warranties also require it.

I would consider adding a couple of support legs like the ones that are linked in post #12 here.

Phoenix