The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi AZgirl,

The prices I listed came from a phone call. I don’t know the process involved in ordering them but I do know they are available and they will be able to tell you how to order them.

Phoenix

Hello Phoenix. Please see my responses to your response in red.

I have no idea what may be happening because even low quality polyfoam wouldn’t normally develop visible impressions that quickly much less latex. I’m not sure why you have the impression that there are visible impressions. I did not say this in my post.

There is certainly an adjustment period for any new mattress (in the range of 30 - 90 days) where the sensations you experience may feel “odd” to you at first or you may be overly sensitive to the “feel” of a new mattress that is quite different from what you are used to sleeping on but it would be highly unusual that you would have two defective latex mattresses in a row. I’ve been sleeping on the same kind of mattress for 1.5 years, so I’m not unused to sleeping on latex. Regardless, I spoke with the company after posting my questions and they explained that their top layer takes a while to break in, so what feels uneven should eventually go away. In terms of the 2nd mattress, they think I have had two defective mattresses in a row; they mentioned that they improved their production process a couple of months after my second mattress was sent to me.

It’s also not unusual that a relatively small amount of flex in a foundation can have an effect on some people that are more sensitive. Thank you for answering this question! I think that may be contributing to the problem. This wouldn’t be a loss of support which wouldn’t normally happen in a week (no, it’s their top layer which takes a while to break in, something which I did not notice originally because I wasn’t paying super close attention— I mentioned this in my first post). and would be more about not having the support/alignment you need in the first place even if you didn’t notice it for the first week.
Is it ok to just get myself some untreated wood? Or is plywood better? Or can you recommend some places that sell non-slatted bed supports? (I’m in Vancouver, Canada).

You can see my thoughts about a solid surface vs a slatted surface in post #10 here. If I was in your shoes I would first take a more detailed look at the mattress before trying to solve the issue with a different foundation … especially since you also noticed issues when the mattress was on the floor. I’m aware of your thoughts on slatted versus solid bases; I also mentioned that I read all 19 pages of that thread, so I’m aware of your opinions. However, you also use a solid base and I did specifically mention that I would get a bed rug to protect against any humidity issues. Also, another person wrote about using solid bases with latex mattresses in boats (specifically talalay) and that two manufacturers said that latex and solid bases are fine. Furthermore, I spoke with the company this week and they said a solid base would be fine; they recommended plywood with some small holes drilled in it—only a few. Please forgive me if there is an easily searchable thread with this information on your site, but I have not been able to find it. I’ve only found the definition of base in your glossary. Can you recommend a good solid base? Preferably solid wood, if that is even possible? Obviously I’m wary of formaldehyde in plywood, and whatever other chemicals may be in there and would prefer something less prone to off-gassing, especially after spending so much money on a natural bed.

While I have seen the comments about innersprings being a “safety” issue … I have never seen any specific evidence that this is the case other than some very non specific anecdotal stories that don’t provide any evidence that would relate to innersprings or metal frames. Having said that … there are certainly many good quality wooden platform beds or foundations for those that don’t want to take the chance. I would personally be more cautious with “active” electromagnetic fields (such as living close to high tension wires, holding a cell phone too close to your head, or sleeping near active electrical fields or wiring as examples) … but I personally wouldn’t have any issues with sleeping on an innerspring … but that’s only my own personal opinion. Your opinion is much appreciated! :cheer: Thank you!

Hi rh,

When you mentioned “I noticed that the mattress had a big dip in the middle” I understood that as meaning you had dips that were visible.

That’s good news (because it means that they would be replacing your mattress with one that hopefully won’t have the same issues) although I would be curious about the specifics of the “production process” they improved (the reply they gave you sounds like a “boilerplate” reply that is non specific). It would also be helpful to know the specifics of all the layers in your mattress and the type and blend of the latex. It’s possible that they may be using some type of material over the latex that could be contributing to the issues you are having.

While I’m certainly no expert on wood materials … any wood material that won’t sag, bend, or warp over time that has good center support to the floor (either a foundation with a steel or wood bedframe or a platform bed) would be fine in terms of support. If you are looking at the other details of a support surface then I would consider any potential offgassing issues with plywood or engineered wood and I would also tend to make sure that the wood has a low moisture content (see here) to prevent warping over time and a high bending strength (see here). Treated wood is normally only necessary for outdoor applications.

Whether you are comfortable with where you are inside the “range or risk” regarding ventilation and airflow under your mattress (which in my case I am because for me the desire for an adjustable bed was “worth” any additional risks of a solid surface vs a slatted foundation) is a “best judgement” choice.

You may also want to consider using T-Slats which won’t bend at all.

I’m not familiar with the specifics of the foundations or platform beds that are sold in Vancouver by the different retailers or manufacturers there (most don’t list the specific details of their foundations) so I would go by the specifics of their construction.

The thread you read has the general recommendations I would use for choosing a support system under your mattress. You can also use the forum search tab (not the site search window) to search the forum for any more specific information that may have been discussed previously (posts which contain the search words you are using in some combination). You will generally find a wide range of opinions about many issues that are connected to mattresses so I generally try and identify the pros and cons of each side of the discussion so that each person can decide what they are most comfortable with and know the tradeoffs that can be involved with any choice because there is usually no real consensus about what is “best” with each set of individual circumstances.

Phoenix

Best Organic Mattress I’ve found that organic products, especially mattresses, make the best mattresses. They are durable, sturdy, comfortable and healthy! It’s a quadruple threat! We’ve purchased our mattresses from Best Organic Mattress Store The Organic Mattress Store! Check out their products, you’ll be totally floored by the quality, hands down!!! They have alot of different bases too:

Here as promised the picture of my new bed frame, just got it today.

I got it for 250$ shipping included (normal price was $600+), I think it was a good deal. Very sturdy and the spacing between the slat are 2,5 inch. There is only 4 leg, but I can stand on the middle of the frame and there is no flex at all. You can see the bamboo cover. All made in Italy.

Hi hmorneau,

Your our bedframe looks great, and thanks for the pictures :slight_smile:

I’d say you certainly did get a good price for it.

Phoenix

Hi Pheonix,

Trying to decide between a slatted and a solid base as well. I live in San Francisco where weather is general temperate and dry. ventilation and mold shouldn’t be an issue at that point? I am a fan of the solid base but want to make sure I make the right decision here. Thanks!

Hi JCwestcoast,

Ventilation would be an issue in any climate to help prevent moisture and humidity buildup inside a mattress but it would likely take a combination of “risk factors” for mold to be an issue. There is more about the pros and cons of a slatted base vs a solid surface in post #10 here that may help you decide. I personally would choose a slatted base unless there was a specific and compelling reason to choose otherwise.

Phoenix

I ordered the Tuft and Needle 10" mattress, should get here today or tomorrow. Am leaning towards getting the 5" slatted foundation from http://usboxspring.com as recommended here and by T&N. On the usboxspring website one of the web pages says the wood is nw spruce but on the other pages it only says solid wood. Does anyone know what the wood is and if this is something to be concerned about?

Hi Josephine,

I believe their description is accurate and that it uses Spruce. You could always ask them to confirm the type of wood but I don’t believe it’s changed.

I wouldn’t have any concerns with this foundation and it’s a good quality/value choice.

Congratulations on your new mattress as well … I’m looking forward to your feedback when you receive it :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I sent them 2 emails but haven’t heard back yet.

Hi Josephine,

I noticed that their server was down so I’m not sure what’s happening and they may be having trouble with their email.

SleepEz has them so it may be worth giving them a call.

Phoenix

I got an email back from them about the slats, 2.75 inches wide, and the spacing between at 2.75 as well but nothing about the type of wood so maybe they don’t want to commit to the type of wood since the SleepEZ website simply says heavy duty wood as well.

Hi Josephine,

I would be tempted to just give them a quick call to find out.

Phoenix

I’m considering a few others on amazon too so if they don’t get back to me that’s just as well …

Just purchased a Ultimate Dreams King Eurotop Latex Mattress, and am looking for a cost-effective foundation solution.

I just came across this option from Walmart: Modern Sleep 8" Instant Foundation Wood Box Spring, Twin - Walmart.com

Would this suffice? Combined weight between myself and my wife is ~300 lbs, if that’s relevant.

Hi scherzo,

I’m not familiar with this foundation and the quality of the wood it uses, the distance between the slats, the amount of flex it would have on the support surface, or how much weight it could support so I really don’t know. There are a number of complaints about the quality of the wood and materials and the time and effort it takes to put together but the good news is that if you are one of those that run into the same problem then WalMart has a great return policy.

There is more information about foundations that would be suitable for different types of mattresses and some sources that I’m more familiar with in the foundation post here that you can use as a reference.

If the distance between the slats isn’t more than about 5" or so (and that would be on the edge of what I’d be comfortable using with a mattress with a polyfoam base and smaller gaps would be stronger and more evenly supportive), the quality of the wood is good, and the manufacturer indicates it will support the weight that would be on it (the mattress and the people sleeping on it) then it would likely be OK.

Phoenix

Any suggestions for a foundation for an antique bed…looking to buy a pure echo double sided with a mattress topper. Currently the bed has slats on the bed frame and then an antique wire spring that goes totally across the bed. The current mattress sags terribly in the middle. Is there a way to tighten these springs and use them or should I use another option, and what? I’m thinking just put slats onto the frame and then the mattress on top. The mattress will then be lower. Also, the bed isn’t quite a full size. Could I squeeze a full into it, or should I get a custom mattress (I hate to spend extra $)?

Hi DM,

Antique beds don’t have standard dimensions and if you choose to purchase a foundation then you will likely need to carefully measure your mattress and have one custom built to the right size (and sometimes even the right shape). I would talk with MGM about this.

If you decide to use the mattress directly on the bed then I would remove the springs completely and add some strong slats to support the mattress. Again I would suggest talking with MGM so that you make sure that the support system you build and the number of slats you add would be suitable for your mattress.

I would be very cautious about this because you could risk damaging the mattress or it could be very difficult to make the bed. I would suggest a custom size mattress that was suitable for your antique bed and again I would make sure that you measure the dimensions and the shape of the antique bed very carefully.

Phoenix

Does anyone know if their is a difference between this foundation from mattresses.net:
Wood Foundations

And this foundation from usboxspring.com:
http://www.usboxspring.com/wood.htm

And this one from sleepez:

I have an all latex 12-inch mattress that I’ve been using with my old box spring but I think it’s sagging and I need to get a new foundation. The three above all seem to be about the same except for a slight difference in price and one says it’s spruce but I think the other is pine (don’t know which is better, or even if it makes a difference). I’m tempted to go with the wire frames because they’re cheaper, but I prefer that box spring look, plus I don’t know if I can connect my headboard to one of the all wire frames (at least not without purchasing an extra kit). Also, I’m still a little concerned that the wire ones may squeak, which would be annoying. Is anyone here using a metal/wire frame with their latex mattress? Would love to know how that compares.