The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi spup345,

As long as it fits securely inside your bedframe (if you are using one) and is fully supported … it should be fine.

Phoenix

Are the new foundations recommended by PTB and made by Ironwood recommended? Or should I stick with something from SleepEZ?

Hi Bluesman,

If you are referring to these then they would meet the criteria I listed in my previous replies and would also be fine.

Phoenix

Yes, just making sure, didn’t see any mention of the gaps between the slats. Their prices are reasonable and they make a 5" foundation, worth a try if it’s recommended.

Hi Bluesman,

I was first made aware of them in January of this year by one of the retailer members of the site but for some reason I never added them to the foundation list. The gaps between the slats are less than 3" so they would also be suitable for an all latex mattress. Thanks for reminding me and I’ve now added them to the list as well.

the SleepEZ foundations are a little nicer with an organic cotton cover and quilted sides and have a slightly higher weight rating and also come with a low profile option but they are also a little more costly as well.

Phoenix

No problem and THANK YOU! I’ll reach out tomorrow and place an order.

Bluesman wrote:

I saw the Ironwood bed foundations at market and they are well built and would work well for a latex mattress. A huge improvement over the totally inadequate foundations that Pure Talalay Bliss used to offer. One thing I would do is secure the top slats with small wood screws once you unroll the slat pack out onto the top deck. It has Velcro to hold it in place when it ships, but I find screwing the slats in place makes for a more solid and quiet foundation. Disclaimer: I offer Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses in my store.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

[quote=“MattressToGo” post=66065]

I saw the Ironwood bed foundations at market and they are well built and would work well for a latex mattress. A huge improvement over the totally inadequate foundations that Pure Talalay Bliss used to offer. One thing I would do is secure the top slats with small wood screws once you unroll the slat pack out onto the top deck. It has Velcro to hold it in place when it ships, but I find screwing the slats in place makes for a more solid and quiet foundation. Disclaimer: I offer Pure Talalay Bliss mattresses in my store.

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go[/quote]

Good to hear and thanks for the tip on screwing the slats in! It’s gonna be fun trying to get that heavy mattress off the bed to install the support beam and replace the box spring with the new foundation.

You’re very welcome.

Thought I’d post an update… the Glideaway GS-3 support system and the Ironwood foundation made it this week and we swapped everything, not as simple as I thought it would be but we got it done!

The Glideaway GS-3 was a PITA to setup but it gets the job done, bed feels stronger now. We went from this

to this

The Ironwood foundation was pretty simple to put together and seems to be decent quality, with slat gaps just under 3"

I took Jeff’s advice and screwed the top slats so they stay in place. Thanks!

A couple of the slats were bowed, I actually used the screws on one of them, which was just before the last slat. I figured the weight of the latex mattress will keep everything together. :slight_smile:

The bed feel sturdier now, no flex, maybe a little firmer, but it’s still early, only slept on it one night.

Hope this helps anyone interested in the Ironwood foundation. And thanks again for all the help!

Hi Bluesman,

Thanks for the update and the pictures … I appreciate it!

Everything looks great :slight_smile:

Phoenix

Glad you approve! :slight_smile:

BTW I’m also trying out the Lanoodle pillow, based on your recommendation… still too early to tell, but I like how it feels so far!

Looks good. BTW, the Mantua SC-7 is a much easier setup for a center support system than the Glideaway GS-3, just in case you have another bed to transform down the road.

Hi Bluesman,

I never recommend a pillow (or a mattress) for someone else because different people can have very different needs and preferences with both mattresses and pillows but I certainly like my Lanoodles pillow :slight_smile:

Phoenix

I took a quick look… looks about the same but without the cross braces, which would make it easier to install, that’s what took a while to figure out and attach properly. Not sure if these braces make a difference, but the bed did feel more solid once I figured out how to attach them.

Now that I’ve done it once it should be a piece of cake the second time :slight_smile:

Correction, based on your review :slight_smile:

Hi all,

We recently bought a king size latex bed from Dormio in Mississauga, ON. We are so excited to take delivery.
However, my wife wanted a platform bed and fell in love with this one: http://mobilia.ca/en/jura-m738325773.html#!pid=1157
And she bought the king size version of it.

Unfortunately, the slats that accompany this platform bed are only 2" in width and have 4" gaps, which is outside the standard recommendations for slats.

The way the slats work in this specific bed is that there are 2 sets, as the bed has a bar going down the center. so you essentially have 2 Twin XL frames side by side with a bar in between (for additional support). The dimensions of those 2 separate slat assemblies are 79.5" L x 37.75"W x 1" H.

So, I’m trying to find slats that are more agreeable to the mattress we purchased that can replace the ones that come with the bed.

I’ve been searching high and low, and for now have been striking out to find ones that fit at the very least the Length and Width dimensions above. The Height dimension is not quite as important, but we don’t want it too high (probably 2-3" max) to as not ruin the appearance of the bed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to find slats that fit the length/width specified/required?

Another option we’ve been toying with is just putting slats on top of the existing slats?? In which case we could just get a standard set of king slats. Would that even work?

Any help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi svirac,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

I don’t know that you’ll find a specific slat insertion pack that will be made exactly to the dimensions you provided. Are your slats simply 1" x 2" pieces of wood that lie on top of an inner lip? Are they dovetailed in? Do they connect with plastic sleeves? The website you provided doesn’t provide any meaningful information about the slat network and how it attaches to your bed frame. If you could upload a photo to the site it would be helpful.

If the slats are loosely placed within the bed set, the easiest option would of course be to purchase some poplar or other similar wood and add a few to each side and rearrange the slats so the spacing is better.

Placing slats on top of slats wouldn’t make as much sense (you’d be better off with placing a plywood deck on top of the slats and using a coir bed rug on top of that). But without a photo of the slat configuration I wouldn’t be able to offer up much more detailed guidance.

I’ll look forward to any other information that you can provide.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Thanks for the reply! the slats are indeed 1" x 2" pieces of wood within a box of 1" x 2" pieces of wood, but all flush - so envision a ladder with the short ends also closed with wood slats. Unfortunately, I don’t have a picture as I haven’t yet taken delivery of the bed. I might be able to run to the furniture store to take a picture late in the week, but hopefully that provides more detail.
Those boxed-in slats simply rest on an inner lip that runs from head to foot on either side, so placed loosely. However, the slats themselves are not loose as they are part of that “box assembly” previously described.

Not sure how easy it would be to “add slats” to what is provided, as they would have to go inside the “frame” of the box, so would have to be screwed in from the sides, which I don’t think would be ideal from a support perspective. Nor can the existing slats be moved to accommodate in an ideal way, as they are basically built in to the frame…

Does that help provide some detail? Your thoughts and guidance are very much appreciated. Let me know if I can provide any further detail.

I also wonder if just doing something like adding a bunkie board like this one on top of the existing slats would do the trick?
https://www.wayfair.ca/Hollywood-Bunkie-Board-WBB-SPSO1026.html
Or like you mentioned earlier, a plywood deck with a coir bed rug?
Looking for something that’s cost effective but will be sturdy to last and will stay within the manufacturer warranty (max 3.25" between slats).

Thanks again!

Hi Svirac,

I’m “sort of” clear on the construction of your platform bed :unsure: . It does sound like your slats fit into “notched out” areas along the side rails. If you end up getting a photo that would certainly be helpful.

I wouldn’t recommend the bunkie board, as this is simply a basic wood pallet with a piece of cardboard placed upon the top of it. You really wouldn’t be making an improvement.

I think that a plywood deck with a coir rug (for air circulation) would be a more appropriate/simple course of action to meet your mattress manufacturer’s recommendations.

I’ll keep looking if you’re able to find some photos, or if you’re able to take some photos once your bed is set up in your home.

Phoenix