The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Thank you - I will check all this out.

Hi snl42,

Sounds good. I hope you are able to find something that suits your needs.

Phoenix

Hey there. If anyone of you is having problem with choosing best base for mattresses, I suggest you to go to [ADMIN- Link Removed] and check what they have to say. They made my life easier!

Hi hasansohaib,

Your post linked to a mattress promotional web site (and a poor one at that), which is a violation of the rules of the forum. Please abide by the forum rules or this will cause your posting privileges to be terminated and your account to be banned from the forum.

I removed your original post.

Phoenix

Hello,

Thanks for an very informative blog. I don’t see it mentioned anywhere and I was wondering if you have reviewed or are familiar with the Ikea Espevar foundation.

I have measured the distance between the slats at 2 5/8" so it would be a good candidate for a foundation for my memory foam mattress in that respect.

Thanks so much

Hi renee,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

While this site is not a review site, you can use the search feature on the site and perform a search on Espevar (just click on the link here) you’ll see some comments made here by myself and site members about that particular foundation.

Phoenix

Thanks!

Hello,

We have a King Size #BME, but we already have a 14" steel platform - the issue is that the steel platform has vertical 5" spaced firm (but thin) steel wires, crossed with 1" thick horizontal cross-bars spaced about 12" apart. edit: looks like this: SmartBase® Heavy Duty Mattress Foundation | Zinus

It’s a relatively new platform and we’d like to continue use it if we can to save money - from what I’ve read browsing this forum, the wires are spaced too far apart. We tried overlaying it with 1/4" plywood but it made the frame too creaky, as well as the issues identified in this forum for risk of mold/breathability.

Is there something else we could lay over the wires? In post #1 it was mentioned a strong fabric, but I’m not sure what the best solution would be. I can also see some people are using a coir bed rug, but the cost of that (in Canada) is almost as much as a new foundation — any thoughts? Thanks, and kind regards for all the helpful information.

I should also mention that I reviewed post#1 for alternatives if we can’t make the steel work - I would love to hear if anyone had any suitable Canadian foundation options that don’t break the bank!

~M

Hi mgrimace,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

The plywood option is usually the most cost-effective, but as you mentioned it can be noisy if you don’t place some sort of a fabric layer between the plywood and the metal grid network. If you can’t find any coir or coco mat material that is affordable, you may wish to look and see if you can find thicker breathable fabrics at places like Jo-Anns or other fabric stores. Also, you may wish to visit any home improvement stores where they have carpeting on a roll and can cut you a section and see if there is something substantial and affordable enough to do the job.

There may be others who have come up with alternatives who can share their solutions as well.

Phoenix

Thank you Phoenix, that helps!
~M

Hi mgrimace,

Forum member Santouche just found a product like this in Australia: www.matworld.com.au/mats-matting/wayfarer-unbacked/ . It’s an unbacked, pool / wet area matt. I don’t know if you can find anything like that near you that is affordable, but it is another option.

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,
I am replacing my foundation as I think it is a weak link.

I saw you mention this usboxspring one at the beginning of this thread. Do you think this would be good support for either a memory foam bed or a latex bed ? I would be choosing the low profile version

Thanks!

Hi Ari,

Yes, this would be a good quality foundation and the construction and slat spacing would work well for either a memory foam or latex mattress, and it certainly is an item worthy of your consideration.

Phoenix

And when all was said and done lol
I went with sleeping organic Premium RTA Mattress Foundation
low profile at 5"
1" thick slats
3" wide slats
Approx 2.75" spacing

I like the idea of the 1" thick slats , no flex there!
It’s more expensive then some of the foundations but less then others. I also requested no wool since they do use a wool in cotton cover. That was not a problem for them.

Now to find something to put on it lol

Hi Ari,

Another fine choice. :cheer: As you’re aware, Sleeping Organic is a site member here and I think highly of them. And I’m happy that they were able to get you the cover that you desired.

Thank you for the update.

Phoenix

Purchased the KD slatted foundation and I’m really not happy with it. Spent $300 and it is noisy. It supports fine, but overall, for the money I’m unhappy.

Was looking at this: Amazon.com

What are your thoughts on the metal unit? The cross beams are lower so that worries me, but it seems stronger than the version with the wires.

Thoughts on the Zinus Elite and Premium?

Hi JMSFCA,

My concern with the Smartbase you mentioned would be the spacing between the metal beams, which looks as if it results in some rather large unsupported areas that would be too large for certain mattresses, but I am not familiar personally with this base nor do I have the exact dimensions.

Phoenix

1. If I were to buy the U.S. Box Spring unit, is there any reason I shouldn’t buy it directly from them? A queen size on their website is $215 shipped; from Flexus Comfort and Sleep EZ it’s $275. In post #1 you say “Same as the previous US Box Spring version except product has matching cover to mattress” ; however, the cover looks to be the same no matter whose site you’re on.

2. Is the difference between the U.S. Box Spring unit and Arizona Premium Mattress unit negligible? The latter seems to have slightly less space between slats (2.5 vs. 2.75), and it says the wood is “spruce or fir.” To me the Arizona one looks slightly less refined.

3. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Sleep Organic foundation? The only difference seems to be that it’s pine, it comes with a fancier cover, and there are pre-drilled screwholes for the the slats. But it’s $375.

4. I’m worried about these foundations making noise. I’m not keen on the slats just being loose. And JMSFCA’s post above just adds to my concern. Just to make sure my bases are covered, is there anyone who sells a sturdy foundation in the ~$300 price range with slats no more than 2.75" apart that’s preassembled (or at the very least has slats that screw in without you having to drill)?

Hi The Toddler,

I’d contact Sleep EZ and Flexus to see what covers they are offering. If the style of cover isn’t important to you, you might as well consider buying directly from USBoxSpring.

There’s a slight difference between them in construction, but they are variations upon the same theme.

The biggest difference there is the organic cotton cover and a bit more finished with the wood and pre-drilled for slats being screwed to base.

I can’t speak to JMSFCA’s comments or how well the item was assembled and how the item articulates with the frame being used, but I do recommend screwing in the cross slats to reduce noise. Unfortunately it’s not possible for me to keep track of all the K-D foundations and which have pre-drilled screw holes, but it you use self-drilling wood screws (like SplitStop) you can avoid drilling pilot holes. There are some very heavy-duty foundations you can find made by licensees that are pre-assembled, such as the one used for this mattress.

Phoenix

Thanks for that insight, Phoenix. Would you say all of these foundations are suitable for pocket coil mattresses as well? That’s what I’m eyeing, a latex/pocket coil hybrid. I am concerned about the coils seeping through the slats.

Or am I worrying too much? After all, most setups will have three layers between the springs and the slats anyway – the thin fabric surrounding the coils, the thicker mattress cover, and the thin foundation cover, right? Still, that doesn’t seem like the ideal recipe for a completely uniform surface for the coils to sit on.

There seems to be a wide variety of approaches depending on the company. Arizona Premium Mattress (with 1050 coils in a queen), Flexus Comfort, and Plushbeds don’t have any extra layer between the springs and their mattress cover. Arizona and Plushbeds have 2.5" between their slats, while Flexus (using the U.S. Box Spring foundation) has 2.75". Nest bedding has no extra layer, either, and they say their mattress has 1,100 coils. At that number, I’m guessing the coils are small in diameter, but their foundation looks like it has huge gaps. And the https://ecoterrabeds.com/products/ecoterra-latex-mattresses?variant=38327851399EcoTerra mattress, with no extra layer, says any foundation with less than 3" gaps is OK.

But Lumasleep has an inch of HD polyfoam under their pocket coils, even though their foundation has just 2.5" between slats.

And Savvy Rest just launched a pocket coil hybrid (not on their site yet but there are some details here), and they ask that you put one of their bed rugs on top of their foundation, which has 3" gaps – specifically stating that “due to the unique nature of the encased coils, platform beds and other similar bases cannot have gaps between the slats greater than 2”.

OMI goes even further with their foundations. They say their mattresses’ pocket coils are 1.25" in diameter, and call for a padded foundation with slat gaps of no more than 1" or else placement of their supplemental foundation layer, which is similar to Savvy Rest’s bed rug.

Many of the examples above also have perimeter coils for extra edge support, and they appear smaller than the main coils. If nothing else, wouldn’t these have a greater risk of seeping through the gaps?

I’d guess your advice would be along the lines of: “Call the individual companies for their assessment. Adding a bed rug couldn’t hurt if you want peace of mind.” But I’d appreciate any additional insight! Thanks so much.