The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

I am thinking about using a sheet of plywood as the base for a new latex mattress, and have read on here that there may be issues with the latex breathing (hence the suggestions for slats instead). Alternately, does anyone have any good/bad experiences using plywood that has large holes? “Perforated plywood” I believe its called (larger holes than pegboard).

Hi JDL,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are correct that ventilation under a latex mattress (or any other mattress for that matter) is a good thing to have. Pegboard generally isn’t supportive enough nor does it allow for adequate air flow, so any ventilated plywood you’d investigate should have larger diameter holes or larger slats (such as in acoustic plywood systems). Ideally, you’d want the gaps to approach a few inches if possible. Additionally, make sure that they plywood is adequately supported beneath, as it will sag without center reinforcement.

Phoenix

Everything is so complicated. Here I am, having done a lot of research, and just ordered the Floyd Foundation, which does NOT have any ventilation but which looks incredibly sturdy. Slat foundations always drove me crazy, mainly because the last few years I’ve been an apartment dweller and always end up throwing the thing away.

Now I wonder if having no ventilation will be a huge issue.

Hi sunyata,

The Floyd platform bed does come in three sections with gaps between those sections along with some flex, and it is elevated off of the floor with no sides, so as long as you keep your humidity controlled in your home you should be fine. Keep on eye on it, and if you do discern that moisture is being trapped between the platform and the mattress, purchase something like a coir bed rug and use that between the mattress and the platform.

Phoenix

Our thin mattress was on the floor up until a few days ago. My dad gave us an adjustable frame he had lying around, but we needed a foundation to go on it. So we hit up Ikea on the way home.

We ended up finding a LONSET slatted bed base on sale in the As-Is department, and took it home. We ordered a new mattress that hasn’t come in yet, but even with our thin mattress on top of it I’ve slept so much better! I have a fitness watch that tracks my sleep, and I would have to sleep over 9 hours a night just to get 2-2.5 hours of “deep sleep” according to its measurements. Already I’m seeing 4 hours of “deep sleep”! I’m really excited about it.

So I don’t know if this is a recommendation or just confirmation that yes, a thin mattress goes well over a springy slatted bed base, but it’s working for me. :slight_smile:

Hi teacup,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

You are correct that a flexible slated system will be more noticeable when used with a thinner mattress, and it seems that in this case the extra difference of the flexible slatted system has provided you a bit more comfort when used with your thin mattress, as opposed to the mattress being placed upon the floor.

I’m happy that you’re sleeping better for now, and hopefully you’ll sleep as well once your new mattress arrives.

Phoenix

Hi!
I have spent the last month trying to decide which mattress to go for and after reviewing many posts here I decided to go with the VZone mattress from Flobeds. I really struggled about whether it was worth paying so much more for a vzone but in the end I have had so many issues with pain in my lower back every morning I decided to go all out and spend the money and hope it makes a huge difference.
Now onto bases. I want to get an adjustable base but after extensive research I am still a little unsure.
Trying to decide between Leggett & Platt 2.0 or a Serta Motion Perfect III.
One of the things I do not want is a split mattress so whatever I get I want to sync the two sides. I have heard of bases that are specifically for this and have the bases going horizontal so they are not split in the middle. Do I need to go that route or is it ok to go with the standard split king with king mattress? Only because I dont find much choice in the ones that are not split.
Many thanks for all your help. Looking forward to your advice.

Sarah

Hey sbradshaw1975:

I’m guessing from your comments that you have a king mattress.

The “horizontal king” power foundation is a bit of a newer development in the adjustable bed base industry, and I think that’s what you’re referencing. These are “one-piece king” power foundation bases.

I’ve been seeing more of these pop up at market, with the biggest selling points being ease of delivery, lower shipping costs, and the lower costs to the retailer (fewer motors), and then the lower cost to the consumer. But sometimes the “cheap comes out expensive”, just as Judge Marilyn Milian says on The People’s Court.

My main concern with most of the one-piece king adjustable bed bases I’ve seen is that they use less steel and they only have one motor driving up the entire king mattress.

If you are considering two twin XL power foundations, they will have some sort of a “link” feature, either through RF on their control “brains” or through a cable, so that they move up and down in unison. This is quite common.

Personally, I prefer two twin XL power foundations, as there is more lift capacity and more steel with two units (that’s what I have at home). The price is a bit higher, but there is also flexibility down the road should you choose two twin XL mattresses.

I also found this information on the site about adjustable bed bases:

[i]There is more information about choosing an adjustable bed in post #3 here and the main adjustable bed topic that it links to that can help you choose an adjustable bed based on price vs features comparisons and also includes some retailers that you can use as good sources of information about the features of the adjustable beds they carry and as pricing references as well (in post #6 in the main adjustable bed topic). Of course there are many other sources as well and prices can change on a regular basis so I would also include some internet searching in your research. I would also keep in mind that online advertised prices are often price controlled so make sure you call the stores you are considering to find out their best prices rather than just looking at websites.

I would consider all the major adjustable bed manufacturers to be closely comparable in terms of reliability so I would use price and feature comparisons to choose between them.

I would also give some careful consideration to the type of features that you may find useful over a longer period of time because some of the features they offer may seem very “enticing” when you are shopping but some people may find that they don’t use them as much as they thought they would once the novelty has worn off.[/i]

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hi Jeff,
Yes, a king mattress - forgot that part.

The “horizontal king” power foundation is a bit of a newer development in the adjustable bed base industry, and I think that’s what you’re referencing. These are “one-piece king” power foundation bases. - Yes that was what I was referencing.

My main concern with most of the one-piece king adjustable bed bases I’ve seen is that they use less steel and they only have one motor driving up the entire king mattress. - That never occurred to me! With the twin it is a lot less stress on a motor and likely to last longer, something I had not thought of at all. Thank you so much, that certainly widens my search criteria though I must say I am leaning towards the Leggett & Platt because I like the pillow area movement and from some things I have read, their wall hugging is better so that you really stay next to your nightstand - a fairly small thing but as I have a bad back, quite important to me.

Thank you for your links on adjustable beds, so much information that was very useful.

sbradshaw1975,

Regarding wall huggers/savers/glide, the difference between them is just a few inches in the center section sliding back. There was a thread I contributed to some time ago that discussed this a bit.

Good luck!

Jeff Scheuer
Mattress To Go

Hii,
I have ordered a best mattresses for back pain (Titanfit Mattress X30), after using it i feel significantly better within a week. For people looking for a rejuvenating and comfortable mattress to achieve a relaxing and sound sleep during the night, Titanfit Mattress X30 is the perfect choice. It has 30X more Aqua Titan technology, embedded in the fabric’s processing component, which brings a soothing and soft texture to attain a sound, longer, and better relaxation as you sleep.

Would it be all that bad to leave a memory foam mattress on the ground for 3-4 months? I will be getting a foundation for free here in about 3-4 months and am curious if I get a new memory foam mattress if leaving it on the floor for a few months will severely negatively affect my sleep or the mattress.

Hi bm011.

Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:

Placing the mattress on the ground would reduce the ventilation of the mattress and especially in humid environments can increase the risk of moisture in the mattress and lead to the possibility of mold and mildew and even an increased dust mite population in the mattress. While the risk of this is small for a short period of time and also smaller with latex and other “treated” materials or foams … bearing in mind that mold issues develop well before they are visible I personally prefer options that have the least risk and promote the ventilation of the mattress.

There’s much more information about the functions of foundations, active slat systems and actual box springs in the foundation thread here .

I hope this helps

Phoenix

Hello, We have a latex mattress on a slatted bed (slats are 2-1/2 inches apart) which we love. However, the mattress is heavy, which makes it difficult to change the sheets. We would like to be able to raise the mattress about 2 inches in order to have better access when re-making the bed. Could we install a breathable bunkie (sp?) board on top of the slats to achieve this goal? We live in California, where it is relatively dry (but we do have a lengthy rainy season). Thank you so much for your help and for maintaining this site–we made a donation because it has been so helpful.

Hey oogieah,

The issue with most Bunkie boards is that their cross slat spacing is much too wide for a latex mattress. Often only 7-8 cross slats. So while that would raise the mattress, it would cause support issues.

You could get 2" of a coir bed rug, like what Savvy Rest offers. That would elevate you product and allow for breathability. There are also slat network inserts (Ikea has some just as an example) that can elevate your mattress 3" or so. You could also look at a low profile heavy-duty foundation that is about 5" thick or so. UsBoxSpring offers something like that as an example.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Hi, any comments on the Zinus bed foundations?
Specifically This one or the wood slatted one Here

Even though I am looking at a hybrid mattress I imagine the under-support requirements would be the same

SleepdeprivedSprite,

I’ve received a little feedback from people on these bases. Granted, these are quite inexpensive items so I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to perform as well as a heavy-duty all-wood finished foundation.

With the metal cross slat item, there have been some comments of noise with the metal on metal in the center beam area. Also, depending upon the type of “hybrid” mattress you have, you’d want to check with the manufacturer if this base would be acceptable. Some manufacturers want gaps 2" or less with certain innerspring hybrids (you can use a coir bed rug to assist with this). They may also desire a wider slat than 3/8". It also can depend upon the base layer under the innerspring unit in the mattress you’re considering - polyurethane foam (how thick/firm) or some sort of a fabric layer.

With the wood cross slat item, there again have been some comments of noise/squeaks, and also comments about the wood slats sagging on each side of the center support. The spacing here is again under 3", but you’d want to of course confirm with your manufacturer that this is acceptable for the specific type of hybrid mattress you’re considering.

Bases like this can be good options for inexpensive support units, but just be sure they will meet with your mattress manufacturer’s recommendations for slat spacing and slat thickness, especially with an innerspring hybrid design, so that your mattress warranty is not voided and that your mattress will perform properly over time. And make sure that they are assembled properly. I run across far too many “defects” in frames that are in reality user error due to improper assembly.

Jeff Scheuer, The Beducator
Beducation / Mattress To Go

Thanks Jeff, for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it!

NP

Hello. I’m new here but have been reading all the tutorials for the past few days. Great material! Thanks ! My wife and I are going to buy an all latex 12" bed and a suitable all wood slatted foundation to support it. When i was ready to order the bed, I suddenly realized I didn’t know what we had as a bed frame. We have a queen wood bed with a headboard, footboard and wood side rails. Our current bed is over 10 yrs old, and when I looked, the bed has two metal slats going from side to side at the 1/3 and 2/3 positions. Each slat has two legs about 1/4 way in, so no center legs. Then our box spring and inner spring mattress sits on those. No problems with this setup over the years except for an aging mattress (and us too). We are committed to keeping our bed set. So I have three questions if you can advise me.

1. I’m pretty sure the two metal slat setup will not be sufficient for a heavy all latex mattress/foundation set. Would 3 bedbeams like the Knickerbocker Bedbeam steel slat system with the center legs be adequate?
  2. Or would the Knickerbocker Lazarbeam with 2 center legs be better?
  3. If neither of those are adequate, then will a full metal bed frame work in our wood bed with side rails? I haven’t figured out how to make this second option work.
    Thanks in advance for your help.