The Best Foundations or Base for a Latex or All Foam Mattress

Hi Drrazhar

Provided that you check with the mattress company for the requirements of the support system under their mattresses, this particular foundation seems to be a good quality/value option. It is very similar to US Box Spring with their natural wood foundation here.

Spruce is stable and has a very good strength-to-weight ratio, (which is why it’s used in boat-building and musical instruments) For those with allergy concerns, spruce is also not likely to aggravate any allergic reactions (like some pine, fir or cedar might) and is using Alcolin wood glue. It is marketed specifically for latex mattresses and seems to be strong, but simple and easy to assemble (no tools required) Normally a slatted wood base with solid slats should be no more than 3" apart (or preferably less) for a latex mattress or … up to about 5" that would generally be fine for a polyfoam support core which is stiffer than latex but less than 5" gap between slats would be preferable and would also generally be stronger and more evenly supportive.

There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm with the retailer or manufacturer of your mattress that any support system you are planning to use under the specific mattress you purchase meets their warranty requirements and guidelines.

Phoenix

Either of those will work however I prefer the wider wood slat base and I think it will hold up better.

does anyone have any experience with this foundation?: Amazon.com

the slats are advertised as 3", which has been confirmed to be acceptable by my latex mattress mfg (SOL). i’m using the foundation simply to increase overall height and am wondering if it is still best practice and recommended to lay plywood over top to cover the slats (just as additional precaution to prevent latex mattress seeping through).

Does anyone have experience with the Nest Bedding HomeBase foundation?

After spending a lot of time reading this and other sites, and trying out various options in my area, I decided on the Nest Hybrid Latex mattress; it was, for me, the best combination of support with springiness and cooling that I’m looking for. (With that said, the Brooklyn Bedding “Aurora” was just astonishingly cool; I didn’t like it as much in terms of the overall feel, but wow I’d love to get that coolness elsewhere!) I’ve always disliked memory foam, and the all-latex mattresses I tried just didn’t feel as good when moving around. Maybe it’s just that I’m used to traditional innerspring mattresses, but I prefer a bit of responsiveness.
In any case, I have a regular headboard and frame, and would need a new foundation that will fit into it; my current foundation is a traditional box spring which won’t work with the new bed. I’m happy to just get the Nest HomeBase, but a number of the reviews on the Nest site itself say that it feels cheaply made. I’ll be covering it with a bed skirt, so the visual appearance isn’t crucial, but obviously I don’t want it to fall apart.
If there are other good options, I’d be happy to consider them! I can’t build anything myself, and don’t really have any basis for making this decision–it has to be 8" high for aesthetic reasons, but other than that, whatever will support this mattress well is fine with me.

Hi, I just joined and have a question. How can I start a new thread? I see no option for that. Thank you.

Hi Bedgal101,

On the Mattress forum page upper left, green button “new topic”

all the best

Unfortunately the “New Topic” button doesn’t appear on the linked page for most users. You can only currently create a new topic in one of the Expert Member Sections under “Talk to the Experts” by picking a forum related to your new topic. Otherwise you can add your new post to an existing thread on a related topic which you can find with a forum search. This is all explained in this post: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-use-our-forum-to-research-or-seek-assistance

We finally decided on an Obasan 10" Latex mattress. However just when I thought the most time consuming part of mattress shopping was over, I cant find a suitable frame. I’ve been looking for 2 weeks, following advice from TMU on how to choose a good frame. I need help please. I need something that will hold approx 600lbs (including the mattress) that doesnt squeak, and has at least 6.5" under the bed for us to add our own storage. Partner doesnt want to buy storage already in the bed. We are in the GTA, Canada. Our mattress is coming next week. Anyone have any advice? Thank you.

Hi workitoutgirrl.

Congratulations on your new mattress purchase! :slight_smile:

In addition to the 6.5" inch storage requirement you mentioned, I am not sure if you are aiming for a slatted platform bed, a simple wood slatted base on legs, or a Powerbase but either way I’d make sure to ask the mattress manufacturer themselves which type of foundation is suitable for their mattress and would meet their warranty criteria as this can save lots of research and ensure that you will have an appropriate foundation and bedframe.

You can read their basic care instructions and requirements here

You might wish to check out a few of the trusted members who have under the mattress products that might meet Obassan’s warranty criteria and your partner’s 6.5" storage space requirements.

[indent] Dormio here in GTA has several slated platform beds some with plenty of space under the bed (and some with storage drawers)
Memory Foam Comfort (MFC) here carries quite a few slated platform bed frames such as Newton or … Brookfield both with 9 3/4" from floor to the bottom of the side rails. [/indent]

I hope some of our Canadian readers see your post and point to other alternatives. Let us know if you found something with underbed storage that would work for your new mattress.

Phoenix

I forgot to update…

Costco offered to replace the slats only, to which I declined. The slats were very weak and bouncy, when I measured them they were only 3/8" thick not the 1/2" I’d estimated, so pretty much completely underbuilt and a totally insufficient design. That was the best offer on the table (somewhat disappointed with Costco on this) so rather than wasting more time and resources I busted out the crowbar and removed and discarded the slat system completely. Grabbed 18 kiln-dried decking boards 3.5" x 1" x 61" and placed them approximately 1" apart on the existing metal frame with center support. The “new platform bed” is extremely solid, breathable, durable and was a breeze to build for about $100 worth of lumber. This poorly designed platform bed now has a new lease on life, thankfully.

My finger only looks this large because the slats are so thin

A cramped mess during the rebuild, bedroom is pretty small

[quote=“Brewer” post=78633]No word back from Costco yet, but my makeshift plywood platform makes the mattress feel that much better again! This is a pretty good temporary fix until I hear back, afterward the plywood will be repurposed so I’m not losing. Will post back with status updates.

Thanks again!

-Brewer

[quote=“Phoenix” post=78586]Hi Brewer,

Glad to be of assistance! B) … Thanks for your update with Cosco’s followup… I am glad you’ve got this encouraging reply from them. Thanks also for confirming the slat dimensions and gaps for other members that may run into the same issue. :wink:

It seems like you have a good plan in motion,… let us know how it works out. I look forward to any new updates you have and to finding out the results of Costco’s resolution team about the failing foundation.

Phoenix[/quote][/quote]

Hi Brewer,

Thanks for the update, and for the images you posted detailing your … How to give a “new lease on life” to Costco’s slatted platform foundation. :slight_smile: I certainly understand your disappointment with them as the foundation does not appear to be of a sufficient quality…. and I am glad you found a good solution at a minimal cost

Your post is helpful to others considering this product.

Phoenix

Are there any spruce foundations with less than a 3" gap for under $250?

Hi stuuke.

At a quick glance, SlepEZ one of our Trusted Members carries spruce foundations with less 3" gap between slats. (Don’t forget to ask for TMU discount as well … for TMU members they always offer the highest discounts they have available.) You may also wish to comb through our Trusted Members listings here for more options.

Best of luck!
Phoenix

Luma with the discount was the best price I could find. It arrives tomorrow at $233.75 shipped. SOL on latex bed arrived yesterday and we opened it to air it out. Now just need a mattress protector.

Hi stuuke.

Congratulations on your new bed from Sleep On Latex and the Luma Sleep Foundations . I am glad that you checked on their product and got a better price with the 15% discount they offer to our Consumer members. :slight_smile: They are both reputable companies run by what I call “Mattress People” and as you probably know they are members of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe they compete well with the best in the industry.

I’m looking forward to any ongoing updates you have the chance to share as well.

Phoenix

Really good information here. Right now I have an old queen size mattress and I want to buy a split king size latex mattress. I’ve been looking for bed frames, but I found that they are so low… Even those at 12-13 inch high will be much lower than my actual bed, which is on a box foundation. I really enjoy having a higher bed because I have back problems and its much easier if it’s higher. Do you know where I could find taller and sturdy bed frames? Thanks

Hi John667,

Thanks for the post. I am sorry that the “industry” is moving away from “higher” mattresses, but for you personally I totally understand. Typical mattress depths vary from 8 to 15 inches, and box springs usually measure 8 to 12 inches deep. Standard bed frames raise box springs and mattresses 7 1/2 inches off the floor. What is the total height you have or need to have?

Additionally, typical latex mattresses are not as “high” because of the high cost / high quality of latex. There is more information about the different types of support systems (bedframes and foundations or platform beds) that are generally suitable for different types of mattresses and some examples of each of them in post #1 here. I would also keep in mind that these are general guidelines and some manufacturers have requirements that may be different so I would always confirm with the retailer or manufacturer of your mattress that any support system you are planning to use under the specific mattress you purchase meets their warranty requirements and guidelines.

Check out some of our trusted members and see what foundations and give them a call also, sometimes they have other suggestions for adding height, that are supportive and can complement the latex mattress.

Thanks,
Sensei

I didn’t measure it, but I’d say on top of my mattress it must be at about 24" from ground. Don’t need that high, but I’d say 20" would be good… Yes latex mattress are better quality, but don’t people complain about bed been lower? Not easy been this low when you have back problems…

Hey John667,

Thanks for the information. Generally speaking some people do not like lower profile mattresses, not just latex mattresses. Latex mattresses can be used on traditional box springs on metal frames. If you

For example, I checked the website of Luma Sleep’s foundations, using the freestanding slatted wood foundation, plus an “average” 10" latex mattress and you are at 23 inches (5" Legs / 8" Box Wood Slat found. / 10" mattress).

As you are aware, Luma Sleep is a trusted membersTrusted member of this site which means that I think very highly of them and that I believe that they compete well with the best in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency. I think if you research some of the members they can help make sure you are at the right height. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
Sensei

Thanks… Would such a wood slat foundation make the latex mattress breathe enough?

Any other source that ship to Canada?

Thanks