THE CHRISTELI MATTRESS COMPANY

I saw a mattress I was interested in but the support base stated Ortho Core Support 2 lb density foam. It stated the layers could be changed to make it softer or more firm. I thought 2lbs density foam was not considered firm. When I tried to call no one was available and they do not accept emails They also stated all the foam was made in the USA and they did have the CertiPur stamp. How can I be sure that there is no foam from China and that their mattresses are really made in the USA and meet all the standards?
Why are they not part of you msnufacturers listing. Was it their option not to join or you did not find them suitable to recommend? I am also now very interested in your information on zoning since more manufacturers are going in that direction. Thank you for all the information you provide. I wish I had this 5 years ago.

Hi cinn,

The density of polyfoam is the most important factor in its quality and durability but has nothing to do with its firmness. Any density of polyfoam can be made in a wide range of firmness levels from ultra soft to ultra firm.

The Ortho-Core has a different firmness level on each side so it can be made softer or firmer by flipping it upside down.

You would need to take them at their word and decide whether you believed them (and there is no reason I can think of not to). The same is true of any mattress manufacturer who tells you the source of their foam.

Park Place who manufactures their mattress is a larger privately owned manufacturer that is on the CertiPur list and has been in business since 1931.
ADMIN NOTE:Removed 404 page link | Archived Footprint: certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Like many manufacturers across the country … they have never approached me and I haven’t talked to the owners about membership on the site.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Phoenix

According to a high level representative of Park Place, they do not manufacture Christeli, though the company histories on their respective websites appear identical or at least very similar. It’s very difficult to get any independent information on Christeli. Very unfortunate because their site is informative, their products appear to be well designed and appear to use high quality materials made in the US. Their prices seem reasonable. I would add the sales rep was very professional and patiently answered every question I had. They seem to be a great potential choice but I am reluctant to pull the trigger until I know something about the company. Does anyone actually know who owns Christeli?

Hi R-10,

Yes … they are now manufacturing their mattresses in their own facility which is close to the Park Place factory (see post #5 here).

There is more information about the 3 most important parts of “value” of a mattress purchase in post #13 here which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists based on suitability, durability, and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you (including the price of course and the options you have available after a purchase if your choice doesn’t turn out as well as you hoped for).

While I can’t speak to how any mattress will “feel” for someone else in terms of firmness, “comfort”, or PPP because this is too subjective and relative to different body types, sleeping positions, and individual preferences, sensitivities, and circumstances … outside of “comfort” and PPP the most important part of the value of a mattress purchase is durability which is all about how long you will sleep well on a mattress. This is the part of your research that you can’t “feel” and assessing the durability and useful life of a mattress always depends on knowing the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the name of the manufacturer on the label or how a mattress feels in a showroom or when it is relatively new so I would always make sure that you can find out the information listed here so you can compare the materials and components to the quality/durability guidelines here to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links that would be a cause for concern or compromise the durability and useful life of a mattress you are considering before making any purchase.

I’m not sure why this would be unfortunate because they are completely transparent about the materials in their mattresses and there are no lower quality materials or “weak links” in any of them so they would be well worth considering.

The principals in Christeli were also principals of Park Place but decided to go in their own direction and focus more in the direction of online sales.

Phoenix

Thanks Phoenix for the quick reply. I’ve spent quite a bit of time reviewing the very useful information on this site and understand what you are saying, and you make a great deal of sense. My reservation is that 35 years in business have taught me that anyone can make claims about materials and workmanship, so it’s a matter of trust. Consumers spending thousands of dollars on any product are investing in the people every bit as much as the tangible aspects of the product. It may be that I stumbled on Christeli during a transition and they’ll clear some things up on their site, but my initial impression is they have not been particularly transparent about their ownership/history. The company may be strong enough to honor their claims, or not.

Again, thank you.

Hi R-10,

While things like comfort, firmness, and PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, and your Personal preferences) can be much more subjective … the durability and useful life of a mattress is more dependent on more objective factors that you can verify for yourself.

All manufacturers have access to the same or similar materials that they can use in their mattresses so the most important factor in assessing the quality and durability of a mattress isn’t by knowing the name of the manufacturer but by knowing the type and quality/density of the materials inside it.

While there is no way to quantify how long any mattress will last for a specific person or predict exactly when you will decide to replace it because it is no longer suitable or comfortable for you (because this is the only real measure of durability or the useful life of a mattress that really matters) because there are too many unknowns and variables involved that are unique to each person … if a mattress is well inside a suitable comfort/support range and isn’t close to the edge of being too soft when it is new (see post #2 here) and you have confirmed that it meets the minimum quality/durability specs that are suggested in the guidelines here then it would be reasonable to expect a useful lifetime in the range of 7 - 10 years and with higher quality and more durable materials like latex or higher density memory foam or polyfoam (in the comfort layers especially) it would likely be in the higher end of the range or even longer and the chances that you would have additional “bonus time” would be higher as well.

There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

In its simplest form … choosing the “best possible” mattress for any particular person really comes down to first finding a few knowledgeable and transparent retailers and/or manufacturers that sell the types of mattresses that you are most interested in (either locally or online) and that can provide you with all the information you need to know to make an informed choice and make meaningful comparisons between mattresses and then …

1. Careful testing (hopefully using the testing guidelines in the tutorial) to make sure that a mattress is a good match for you in terms of “comfort”, firmness, and PPP … and/or that you are comfortable with the options you have available to return, exchange, or “fine tune” the mattress and any costs involved if you can’t test a mattress in person or aren’t confident that your mattress is a suitable choice.

2. Checking to make sure that there are no lower quality materials or weak links in the mattress that could compromise the durability and useful life of the mattress.

3. Comparing your finalists for “value” based on #1 and #2 and all the other parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Phoenix