The Final Touch

Hi all,

Two months ago I bought the Ikea Fjordgard mattress (latex on foam). I liked it quite a bit, and my sleeps improved, but I still found I was tossing and turning in the night. Fast forward to one month ago. To fix the tossing and turning, I bought a 1 inch wool topper. (I have broad shoulders and I found they sunk straight through the 1 inch of latex on the Fjordgard). My sleeps improved even more. However, I was still waking up a least once a night with a lot of pressure built up in my shoulders (it didn’t matter whether I was sleeping on my side or on my back.)

So, what I am thinking now is to to buy a 2 inch latex topper to add to the softness of the bed.

I am hoping this will be the final touch and help turn my very good sleeps into amazing sleeps.

This is the topper I am considering: 2 " Blended Talalay Latex Mattress Topper , Talalay & Dunlop Latex Toppers - Bare, Latex Mattress Toppers and Cores, All Products (I don’t want to spend too much money, which is why I bought the Ikea mattress in the first place, and why I am thinking of buying blended latex)

Any thoughts?

Is this a good topper?

Is my logic sound?

Many thanks.

(P.S. I live in Canada, which limits my choices).

Hi IamTHEwalrus,

Nobody else can feel what you feel on a mattress or mattress/topper combination and there are too many variables, unknowns, and personal preferences involved (including your own body type and sleeping habits) to use “theory at a distance” to know what topper would be most suitable for you in combination with what you are currently sleeping on with any real certainty. Having said that … post #2 here and the posts it links to have some generic guidelines that can help you use your own sleeping experience to help you choose the type, thickness, and firmness of a topper that may work best for you. A 2" topper in the “soft” range would be an “average” choice for those who wanted a “little to a fair bit” of extra softness and pressure relief.

In terms of quality … yes. Blended Talalay latex is a high quality and durable latex. You can read more about the different types and blends of latex in post #6 here.

Yes … adding a topper to a mattress that is too firm and creates pressure points (and is in good condition and doesn’t have any soft spots or sagging) can work very well. Of course the specifics of the topper can make a difference in how well it works in your circumstances but the idea of adding a topper is sound yes.

You’ve probably seen this but post #21 here has a list of some of the online retailers and manufacturers that ship mattresses across Canada and some of these (including Arizona Premium) sell toppers as well.

Phoenix