The industry - Introduction

Also,
I dont understand why I cannot start a new thread. Is there a waiting period from join time or am I just missing something?

I am having the same issue. How do I start a thread to ask a question? Is that an option? Confused

Seems to be a common point of confusion which is explained on the following “How to” page: https://forum.mattressunderground.com/t/how-to-use-our-forum-to-research-or-seek-assistance

Hi Sweet Dreams.

Thanks for the clarification! As usual… I appreciate your contributions :slight_smile:

@ need2sleep1
Welcome to our Mattress Forum! :slight_smile:
I or any of the Expert members of the site would be glad to be of assistance.

Phoenix

Okay thanks–hope I am doing this right! Searched the forum to see if anyone had started a similar thread, but I’m not seeing it–sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place. Please feel free to move my post. I just need help! I’m a young professional on a budget, and I have lower back/hip pain due to congenital hip dysplasia. I’m about to have surgery for it and was pretty sure that my 6-year-old cheap mattress (my parents bought it for about $300 from a local appliance store) was not making anything better, and would be unbearable in a few months when I’m post-surgery. It had been comfortable for the first few years but was now hard and less supportive than I’d like.

So, a few weeks ago, I began the task of mattress shopping. Went to several stores, tried a lot but none in my budget ($700 or less) were perfect. Finally went into a local mattress retailer because I thought they might be better than a chain. I found a medium firm Serta Perfect Sleeper there–it was very comfortable in the store. I was looking for lots of support, but a soft sleeping surface with a bit of cushion, and the 15 minutes I spent on it in the store made it feel like it fit that description. Including tax and delivery, I paid about $600 for a full. I knew it wouldn’t last forever, but I figured a few years at least, and then I will probably be able to afford something a little higher-end, or may be looking for a queen or king.

They delivered it with a new box spring, took away my old mattress and box spring, and the first night I slept on it, I cried. It was so hard on the surface, yet so unsupportive. I felt like I was falling into a cave in the middle (it’s a full size mattress), and there was no support for my back or hips. It was worse than my old mattress. I tried it for 2 more nights and it was the same story. I went back to the store and they said they would switch it out for me under their exchange policy. I had to pay a 10% restocking fee and re-delivery fee. I spent a lot of time in the store trying to choose a replacement mattress, and I chose a Sealy Crown Jewel Geneva Ruby Firm. It was a bit firm, but felt SO supportive. It really held my body in a straight line when lying on my back, but I think that’s what I need, given my issues. I laid on it for about 30 minutes and even had a reduction in pain. If anything, it was going to be TOO firm, I thought, but that can be fixed with a topper if necessary. It was a few hundred more than the one I had purchased before, but I decided to go for it and finance the difference. The total, including the exchange fee and re-delivery, ended up being about $1,000, but I figured it was worth it to finally have my mattress working with my back, not against it.

I slept (painfully) on the Serta mattress until this one came in, about a week, and counted down the days until my new mattress. It arrived a few days ago (just the mattress; they had me keep the Serta boxspring they had delivered on the first trip). After the delivery truck left, I laid on it and it was not as supportive as I remembered from the store (my back/hips were not held up as well), but then I lifted up the mattress and noticed something. The Serta boxspring has only springs on top (there are wooden slats underneath, but on the surface that touches the mattress, I can only feel large springs that easily give to the touch). I have never had a boxspring like this before–in the past, I’ve only had the ones that basically feel like fabric-coated wood slats. So, I dragged out the old piece of plywood that been under my old, old mattress, and stuck it between the mattress and boxspring. This seemed to help, and I slept okay the first night.

However, the past three nights, things have gotten worse. I don’t have enough support in the middle, and I seem to be sinking in. I can get decent support if I lie on either side of the mattress, but I still feel a little sink on whatever side of me is towards the middle. I can see this with a king or queen, but a full? It’s crazy! I should be able to sleep in the middle of my brand new mattress. I certainly could on my old mattress, before it went bad.

Basically, I am at my wits’ end, and am wondering if this is the mattress itself, or a matter of support underneath the mattress. Do I need a different boxspring or foundation? Would a metal platform bed help to add support? I should note that my bed frame does not have the middle support in it, as it’s a full size, and the salesman advised me I didn’t need it, but I’ve heard conflicting things online. Basically, I’m hoping someone can please give me advice on ways I can support this mattress. Or, if it’s the mattress itself, what can I do besides sleeping on the couch? I can’t take it back at this point–they only offer one exchange. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Hi need2sleep1.

Thanks for detailing your experience with Serta and Sealy mattresses… this is a good example of why …who you purchase from and …the options they have if the mattress does not turn out to be as good as you hoped for, can be one of the most important parts of a successful mattress purchase. Making sure that you have the appropriate support and sleep surface comfort before the surgical procedure to ensure proper healing is certainly very important and I am sorry to hear that you’ve got so much trouble in finding something appropriate for your hip dysplasia condition. I hope the surgery goes well and that by that time you’ll have a good mattress to sleep on and recover.

[quote]However, the past three nights, things have gotten worse. I don’t have enough support in the middle, and I seem to be sinking in. I can get decent support if I lie on either side of the mattress, but I still feel a little sink on whatever side of me is towards the middle. I can see this with a king or queen, but a full? It’s crazy! I should be able to sleep in the middle of my brand new mattress. I certainly could on my old mattress, before it went bad.
[/quote]

You are in a somewhat difficult position … you need to exchange a mattress and you used your only exchange for a higher value product (that you had to finance) Also if the store you purchased it for consents to a new exchange then you may be limitied by the mattresses that are sold at the retailer you are dealing with (unless they sell some good quality/value mattresses which many mainstream stores don’t) and in this case I would follow the suggestions in post #2 here and the posts it links to.
While I understand that the options at the store/retailer are limited , I am glad that you took the time to document your experience as this might be useful in isolating the cause and approaching the retailer or manufacturer if you need to ask the store to make an exception from their policies. My first suggestion is that you do a bit more detective work to try to pinpoint if the unsupportiveness is due to the foundation, mattress itself or both.

I’d suggest that you avoid a reactive mode of trying to solve the issue by buying something that may or may not solve it. I know that it is difficult when you wake up in pains, but perhaps you can find a temporary solution to get better sleep while aproachng this systematically.
1. First try to isolate the problem (Determine where the lack of support is coming from. Is it the boxspring, the mattress, or both?

[indent]a. It’s very possible that the issue could be caused by some sagging or gaps in the box-spring that doesn’t provide a suitable support surface for your mattress … this can certainly make a significant difference in how well aligned you are and how well you sleep. You can test this by placing the mattress on the floor and sleeping on it for a few nights to see if it makes any difference. It may be that the wood slats quality is not adequate and may be compounded by the lack of central support would result in excessive bending under your weight and the weight of the mattress.
b. Look for any defects in the mattress including sagging. While sagging is unlikely with a new matters, you can check for any visible signs of it and make sure to measure its depth by placing the mattress on the floor and then either run a string from edge to edge (see this video here) or use a straight edge (such as a broom handle) across the mattress and then measure the depth of the sag from the bottom of the straight edge or string. Note that a new mattress should not have any sagging, and remember that “comfort” is not something that is covered under a warranty, but excessive sagging is[/indent]

2. No 1 above will put you in a better position to go back to the retailer and present your situation. Even though you are restricted by the number of exchanges allowed by the store’s policy the good news that most stores have become consumer care oriented and, when reasonable they’ll do their best to help.

[indent]a. If it’s determined that the foundation is responsible for the lack of support, then you can ask the store to replace the box spring with something more supportive, or look for other foundation options.
b. If the mattress is the problem then I’d suggest explaining that your local retailer and politely request their advice and assistance and hopefully given your circumstance, they’ll make an exception and allow another exchange. If they allow this, then I would take the time to carefully assess all the options they have available within your budget You can start out by finding the information listed here and the exact specifications (such as foam density) and the quality of the componentry in the mattress so that you can compare it to the durability guidelines here. you may wish to consider an exchange as long as you first test the product for PPP(Pressure Relief, Posture and alignment and Personal Preferences) to assess if it meets your personal needs and preferences.
c. If there is excessive sagging then you could ask for a refund if the policy allows it and then you would have a better chance of finding something more suitable.[/indent]
3. Manufacturer step in … if the store is not assistive then the next best option would be to contact the manufacturer themselves and make clear that you’ve reached out to them as you’ve exhausted all your options regarding an unsuitable product.

I wish I could provide some specific suggestions that are more helpful, but outside of the retailer and/or manufacturer being willing to make an exception to their policy, there is not much that I can say. I look forward to any updates.

Phoenix

Thanks so much for your reply! I checked out “Post #2” and, interestingly enough, this is the mindset I had when I went in to exchange. I wanted the firmest, most supportive mattress possible, and had the idea of adding a topper if necessary to soften the surface up a bit. Also find it to be interesting that the original poster there was having trouble with Sealy, as well. Although, I must say, I wish mine had been comfortable for two years, rather than two days! :slight_smile: Two years is still terrible quality, of course.

I will try putting the mattress on the floor tonight and will see what happens. I’m really hoping this will prove that the support underneath is the issue. If there are defects with the mattress itself, unfortunately, they’re not measurable when I’m not lying on it (there’s a slight indentation in the middle, but I believe the warranty says it has to be 1.5 inches). Also, I’m not even sure what I’d exchange it for, as the retailer is a relatively small store, and I tried most of their other mattresses. Disregarding price, this was the only one that really felt comfortable and supportive enough for me. They only have the standard mattress brands (Serta, Sealy, Simmons, Tempurpedic), and then some more low-end springs.

I am still just so confused as to how they manage to make these mattresses feel so different on the showroom floor! Is it possible that they manufacture a higher-quality mattress for floor models, and slap the same label on it? That’s the only thing I can think of, if the mattress is the issue, especially as mine came straight from the manufacturer (I had to wait a week for it to come in to the retailer). The showroom model was a queen, and I laid in the center for at least 15 minutes with firm, blissful support. When I’m in the center of my full model, I sink constantly throughout the first 5-10 minutes.

I have also had the thought that perhaps it is the “pocketed coils.” I have never had a mattress with these before, and perhaps I should have stayed away and gotten one of the old-fashioned models that the mattress retailers say are so terrible. I am used to more bounce and resistance in a mattress. But I can’t imagine that anyone would want pocketed coils if they cause such sinking.

Again, many thanks for your very detailed and helpful response. I will report back after my first experiment!

Hi need2sleep1.

The major brands such as Sealy/Stearns & Foster, Simmons, and Serta all tend to use lower quality and less durable materials in their mattresses than most of their smaller competitors that will tend to soften or break down prematurely relative to the price you pay which is why I would generally suggest avoiding all of them completely (along with the major retailers that focus on them as well) regardless of how they may feel in a showroom along with any mattress where you aren’t able to find out the type and quality/durability of the materials inside it (see the guidelines here. along with post #3 here. and post #12 here. and post #404 here.).

Tempurpedic mattresses use good quality materials but as you know they are in much higher (and mostly unjustifiable) budget ranges and for most people they certainly wouldn’t be in the best “value” range compared to many other smaller manufacturers that use similar (or in some cases better) quality materials that are in much lower budget ranges. You can read more about Tempurpedic in general in posts #1 and #2 here…

I am not very sure what is the cause of the mattress feeling firmer and more supportive in the showroom than the one that you received. The showroom models usually experience some “breaking-in” (from customer use) and would be softer rather than firmer. There are a few possiblilities to consider such as
~ you tested a firm version and received a medium or soft comfort choice. It may be worth verifying that you did not receive a softer firmness option of the same model.
~ Another consideration would be the temperature of the showroom, if when you tested the mattress the showroom was very cool it can make quite some difference in the level of comfort you experience. The feel of memory foam can vary dramatically as it is temperature and humidity sensitive. A cooler environment will lead to the mattress feeling harder when you first lie on it. Usually even if a visco-elastic foam feels hard at room temperature, it will soften with the application of your body heat and mass, which means that your clothing and the showroom coverings may have also prevented to a certain extent the heat transfer and gave a false impressin of suportiveness. Foam softening would also be faster at home when the body heat becomes trapped under the bed coverings.

As memory foam softens in response to heat and humidity from your body or room temperature, it changes from a more elastic material into a more viscous material and the length of time it is continuously compressed can also affect how much the memory foam softens as well. This change or “melting” also takes time when you lie on it and it also takes time to change back to elasticity and return to its shape when you get up. These two factors are the main reasons that lead to the slower compression and recovery (the memory quality) of memory foam. For this reason, it would need a good support layer underneath it.

I know you are in a more complicated situation than you may have anticipated, but hopefully, you’ll make some good progress after some more experimenting. Keep us posted!

Phoenix

Thanks once more, Phoenix, for a great explanation. I do think the foam layers in this mattress are something that I’m not used to–I have never had one that had any memory foam layers on top. My last one was just a basic innerspring, pretty old-fashioned. I noticed on day 1 that I cannot use my cotton mattress pad with this new one, or the foam will not conform at all. That is probably due to the heat effect that you mentioned. I noticed an improvement when using it with just a sheet. I’m not sure that ambient temperate made a difference in the showroom, though, because I remember that being a bit hot, and I keep my house pretty cool.

I double checked the tag, and they did deliver the same one I ordered. I actually found a description of it here. (This is not my retailer–just one that happens to sell it.)

I do have an update, though: I put it on the floor last night, like you suggested, and I no longer felt the sagging or sinking. It was definitely more supportive for my back and I no longer felt like my feet and chest were higher than my hips, which is what was I was experiencing before. However, it was a little too “hard,” especially for side sleeping. I must have switched to my side sometime in the night, and I woke up with that side hurting, especially my hip (I had not felt this with the box spring configuration). So I think that I need a support under the mattress that is very firm and supportive, but has a tiny bit of give. What would you suggest to fit this bill, that would be affordable? I was thinking perhaps something like this, but would love to hear your suggestions.

Thanks again for your really helpful insight!

Hi need2sleep1.

I am glad that you slept better and that you (at least partially tracked down) the reason for the mattress sagging and being unsupportive. There is little meaningful information about the quality and the density of the foams and componentry within the mattress, but as far of supportiveness goes I am glad that you eliminated the possibility of being sent the wrong mattress firmness choice as I was concerned that you may have received the Ruby Plush instead of the Ruby Firm.

As far as the foundation goes… the first thing to do is always to check with the mattress manufacturer/retailer and ask their opinion to make sure that the foundation is appropriate and doesn’t void your warranty.

Then looking at the item I am noticing that the rails are on slightly different levels, but the side to side bracing is a bit wider with the gaps, so you’d want to keep an eye on the wore grids to make sure that they don’t sag too much over time. If it is OK to use Zinus as a base foundation for your Sealy Crown mattress, then I’d also consider placing an old thick blanket (or something similar) or a choir rug to assist in minimizing the wire network “pushing up” into the innerspring base over time and in distributing the load over this area.

I look forward to any updates you may have.

Phoenix

Sorry to post this here, but I still have not found a way to start a new thread in these forums. \I have been researching mattresses, and one of the trusted members here is Richmond Bedding. I have never yet dealt with them, but I went to their site from here, and then after seeing many fine selections decided to start researching the vendor. Here is a link to yelp, which isnt my fave, but man, here is a heads up for anyone looking to buy from them. I know I never will.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this Phoenix, but I have no idea where else to post it, nor have I figured out how to start a new thread.

Hi droidx.

Generally, there is much confusion about Reviews of any type (see post #13 here) where a small minority of people with unusual issues that have little knowledge or understanding of mattresses, have completely unreasonable expectations. Because reviews have become so important in today’s online market they have gained a false aura of legitimacy and can be successfully exploited by some review entities that not only have little recourse to verify if claims are substantiated or not, but have no way or inclination to discriminate if a particular review comes from somone who may have an axe to grind, or a competitor who can’t or won’t compete in more ethical ways and chose to go after the reputation of a business that stands in their way to gain some competitive advantage. I always have little patience for those that are trying to harm the reputation of a long-term, reputable, and reliable business that not only has been going out of their way to provide good quality products and information but also has a solid track record of positive experiences shared through third-party review sites which speak highly about their service and integrity to their customers for many years.

To add to this picture, there are several reports of a few other trusted members who related similar experiences to the experience that Richmond described and debunked in their response to the negative Yelp review this year. For example, digging out old “reviews” of disgruntled customers or competitors in disguise from various places on the internet and bringing them back from dormancy after more than 10 years is another venue for such manipulative and unethical practices. A quick Google search on this subject will reveal much more about such tactics that seem to be often employed to blackmail and extort businesses (see some articles here and here) by manipulating reviews or making “negative” reviews go away for paid advertising.

While Richmond Bedding is a relatively new trusted member here we’ve considered their membership for several years and we’ve observed and looked at their business, products, transparency, and integrity over a long period of time and have found that they consistently meet our stringent membership criteria and like all the members here I think very highly of and consider them to compete well with “the best” in the industry in terms of their quality, value, service, knowledge, and transparency

Phoenix

Hi Phoenix,

Replying to your last post about my mattress issue. Thanks for the assessment of the base. I have not been able to get the base yet but I did check out the warranty and it’s not clear whether this type of base is a problem. However, I am thinking it is moot point because I have been sleeping on the mattress on the floor since my last post, 5 nights now, and things have gone downhill. The foam in the center has already broken down/been compressed somewhat and is no longer supportive for my hips or cushiony at all. I am not an exceptionally heavy person (under 200 lbs) so this is crazy. I have to again resort to the sides of the bed but I’m sure the same thing will start happening there. I have been waking up with terrible back pain unless I sleep on my side. I think it’s the lack of support combined with hardness of the feel. This morning, it’s unbearable. I am now thinking of selling this on Craigslist or something for $100 and just eating the $900 loss, which I can’t really afford to do. This was a huge purchase for me and I will still have to pay off the part I financed…but I just can’t take it. I don’t know what recourse I have to either the manufacturer or the retailer. Even if one of them had mercy on me, I don’t want any of the other mattresses they have to offer. I think I’m also emotionally drained at this point. Thanks so much for your help and for listening —it is the only thing that’s gotten me through this ordeal with some of my sanity intact. Guess I will be checking out the mattress -buying threads now.

So you use an email here with the address “[email protected]”, a username of 'droidx" and go on Yelp with a username of “Critic R”. Anonymity seems to be a priority for you. Looks like you don’t want anyone to know who you are?

On Yelp you give us a one-star review because we stand up for ourselves and tell the truth about reviewers who:

A. Have never done business with us (like you for instance).
B. Grossly misrepresent an encounter they had at our store.
C. Never had an encounter at our store or online and lie.
D. Have tried to cheat either us, Leggett & Platt or both.

How I choose to address reviews by dishonest people is my choice. If you think I should just leave it alone and let the lies stand, that’s your opinion and we’ll just agree to disagree.

However, not agreeing with my policy and posting a one-star Yelp review that states “I’ve never talked to this guy, and probably never will” is just wrong.

Then you post this here trying to “warn” others?

You should really be warning them about Yelp. How they “extort” companies for ad money. If you don’t advertise they move your good reviews to the back page, your bad reviews to the front page and lower your score. If you pay them $3600 ($300 x 12 months) they do just the opposite and raise your score.

This isn’t just me saying this. A quick Goole search of “Yelp Extortion”, Yelp Scam", “Yelp Sham” or similar terms will have you reading all day.

Look at Yelp’s BBB Report: Yelp.com | Better Business Bureau® Profile

1400 complaints, 700 + Reviews and 97% of those were negative.

But you want to “warn” people about Richmond Bedding who has an unimpeachable reputation based on what you saw on Yelp? And on Yelp the complaint you state is basically “how dare you defend yourself”.

As for your statement: “anyone looking to buy from them. I know I never will.”

I have to be honest. I’m kind of glad about that.

Also, just noticed. You flagged all my five-star reviews on Yelp as “funny” and anything bad as “useful” How petty can one person be? You joined here about 10 days ago and are making quite the impression.

I have the huge St.Charles mattress bought close to 2 years ago now. I moved up from a 20+ year old budget mattress - Serta or Sealy one of those but didn’t have the issues I’ve had with this one.

So this mattress was chosen after a bunch of correspondence with the ‘old bed guy’ guy - but right out of the gate, it arrived with a ‘pillow top’ which in fact wasn’t in the description - and I sincerely believe it’s a major part of my problem with it. I am ‘sleeping hot’ on this mattress like never before on the old mattress… I am recently waking up itching like crazy with indentations of the mattress in my back – and more important, always hot - never able to get comfortable. So here i am…with presumably no option to return/exchange it.
I am told about “toppers” - which is rather absurd as this already a notably huge height mattress already, and that’s basically just a ‘fix’ to what should ideally be the ‘right’ mattress.
I might’ve spent, 700 bucks on this thing - it was a holiday weekend sale some time that year - but WTF? This had all indications and recommendations as ideal for me based on info I’d given a few supposedly expert bedding people. I’ll jump to the bottom line here… Is this a mattress that can be flipped over so I can get rid of the stupid pillow top that I didn’t know it came with? I swear it’s causing heat retention and I’ve had multiple whole body heat rashes and scores of sleepless nights on this thing)…
Rightly or wrongly I feel I’ve been ripped off; and yeah I realize it’s stupid to settle on something based on online research but I did a huge amount of investigation and maybe it’s just a matter of the OBG (old bed guy) seeming too sincere to disbelieve but honestly I did not get that vibe whatsover as I recall - otherwise wouldn’t have moved forward with buying it long distance in an area where there are no …still can’t think of the manufacturer name - dealers for this mattress. Need help.
Need to get back to decent and regular sleep and i’m bordering on ordering some Casper or similar Millennial Enterpreneur mail-order bed and finding some way to unload this one on a family member who might be able to use it for guest room or whatever …even tho it’s a Queen Size.

Welcoming any advice with many thanks in advance,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing discomfort and sleepless nights.

First, adding a topper to an uncomfortable mattress will not create great sleep. Toppers are perfect if someone is trying to soften up a mattress that may be a little too firm, if they need a temporary fix, or for guests to use periodically in a spare bedroom.

Second, the hype, low prices, and great marketing for millennial mattresses can seem like a quick and easy fix, but their strong appeal does not directly translate to high quality or longevity in a mattress.

It sounds like your mattress has caused you quite some grief with comfort and temperature regulation for some time now as indicated in your previous posts here and I’d not rush into buying something just on the chance that it might be better than the previous one. You must first understand what your needs and preference are in terms of sleep surfaces and comfort. TMU is a great non-bias tool that offers a lot of knowledge to help with this understanding and valuable information regarding companies and manufacturers that make different kinds of mattresses. My advice is to invest in great sleep! It is not worth keeping your old mattress based on the money spent or buying a cheap one as a temporary solution if either of those are going to eventually continue causing sleepless nights. Nobody can know or recommend what is best mattress for you as this is so subjective and depending on many variables but once you have the chance to decide the type of mattress you like (all latex, some latex, memory foam, spring, pocket coil, natural alternatives) and narrow down your search to 2-3 options I, Phoenix or other experts here would be happy to assist you.

I would advise you to first read the Mattress Undergrounds Mattress Shop Tutorial here as your first step in making a successful purchase, and equally importantly, how to avoid another similar situation with an uncomfortable/heat retaining mattress!

Two key links in the tutorial are post #2 here which explains the different ways to choose a suitable mattress that is the best “match” for you in terms of “comfort” and post #13 here which articulates the “value” of a mattress purchase which can help you make more meaningful quality/value comparisons between mattresses in terms of suitability (how well you will sleep), durability (how long you will sleep well), and the overall value of a mattress compared to your other finalists (based on all the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you).

The next most important item would be the durability of the mattress. We also wouldn’t want you back mattress shopping again in another few years! Durability focuses on the type and quality of the materials inside it regardless of the manufacturer on the label, or how a mattress feels in a showroom, or when it is relatively new. Make sure you find out the information listed here so you can compare the quality of the materials and components to the durability guidelines here to make sure there are no lower quality materials or weak links in a mattress that would be a cause for concern relative durability and useful life of a mattress.

Next, I would personally recommend to research latex in mattresses. Latex is an all-natural material that is known for helping to moderate temperature. Since sleeping hot sounds like a major concern for you, this is where you should start. Also consider the mattress pad, and sheets as these are all play a key role to your temperature as well as the environment of the room you are sleeping in.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

FSF Team

https://uploads.mattressunderground.com/outside/40660/128x84_fsf_logo.jpg

hi, quite the delayed reply here but i appreciate your response to a post about my disappointment in a Charles Rogers St.Charles mattress. I unfortunately dont have a great deal of inclination to delve into extensive exhaustive research but do have a lot of respect for the expertise and objective information provided here. I feel I was duped into CPR after learning of the Old Bed Guy’s affiliation with this company . We corresonded quite a bit and i trusted him in his recommendation of this mattress - well crafted as it may be, my lower back is constantly stiff - like the far cheaper one i replaced it with…it has a pillow top that was not mentioned, which sinks in, and retains heat. I do not feel comfortable with the bed and theres no returning it now for my 800+ dollars or whatever it was just a couple years ago, so i am stiffed…literally on this deal. I just want a firm latex mattress, good back support…l am so overwhelmed by the seemingly excessive amt of information and options out there. But again, the biggest disappointment was that i seem to have been deceived and charmed into the wrong bed, pillow top i didnt want and no inexpensive recourse except some add on topper which seems absurd because i couldve probably just done that with an Inexpensive Serta, etc or even my old one, and been fine… I gave this a chance thinking it might take some time to get used to it. Same lower back discomfort as i had with my old mattress. Really wish i could flip this thing to elimnate the pillowtop but i gather these mattresses arent made for that.

Sorry if this becaome a flat out rant. Frustrated.

mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing your frustration about your experience. I am sorry it resulted in the way that it did. Sleep, as we all know, is a key element to living a healthy life. It is necessary for our bodies to rest and restore to help rejuvenate us to function at our optimal capacity. Having uncomfortable or lack of sleep can have a snowball effect on every area of life! So in your case, still waking up with back pain, is something reasonable to be frustrated about.

Unfortunately there are no short cuts to doing the research for a successful mattress purchase. However, this forum provides a wealth of knowledge all in one place, so when you do find some time to do a little research, I think it would be of huge benefit to you. Many other customers, like yourself, have also offered their experience in this buying process throughout the forum, so you are not alone.

Please feel free to reach out to us for further guidance!

FSF Team

I hope that I am posting this in the correct location. I purchased a queen mattress/box spring set from a furniture store. I did not notice until it was delivered that the mattress tag on the mattress says that it is a crib mattress manufactured by Baby Time International Inc. The mattress itself has a logo on it that says BodyFit Diamond Royale. I searched on the internet for BodyFit mattress and found nothing. A search for Baby Time International Inc yielded a company in New Jersey. I called the company and the customer service representative said that they just put the wrong tag on the mattress. I asked him if this would affect the warranty, and he said that he did not know and that he would find out and call me back. I never received a call back. Any advice? Thank you.

Hi jaywills,

Welcome to the Mattress Forum! :).

Thanks for the post. Interesting situation, it does sound like it was an administrative mistake from the factory. Of course, it seems simple that there is no way that this should affect the warranty.

I am a little confused about this company. I found the New Jersey address on this site:
https://www.manta.com/c/mb4g09d/baby-time-international-inc

But when searching website on the Baby Tim Intl about us page it say the company is located in New York? And this site is totally baby stuff and quick glance and I see no mention of the regular mattresses they make.

A couple of suggestions:

Question what Furniture Store did you buy the mattress from?

You should also contact the furniture store and tell them the situation, and also convey to them you may need to replace/return this mattress, and receive one that is properly tagged mattress. It’s very important that you have the law tag because it states critical information about what is inside your mattress. They will have more influence over the manufacturer than individual consumers. Contact your salesperson, maybe the sales manager and any other individual at the furniture store. Mattress retail people hate these situations and can help rectify this situation.

You need to get a pdf copy of the law tag as well as an email in writing stating that this will have no effect on the warranty, and while you are at it have them send a copy of the warranty to you. Continue to work both the manufacturer and the furniture retailer. Of course, make notes of the conversations and try to keep the names of people you spoke with.

I don’t think this situation is dire, by any means, but as in most industires, one needs to be diligent to stay on these companies. And keep as much of this information in writing/email.

Let me know the Furniture store and I will make a new topic/thread called “Name Furn Store / Baby Time Intl Inc” so they know we have a public forum discussing this situation.

Thanks again for the post.
Sensei