The memory foam in my mattress is killing me - I need advice

Hello, I went through 4 mattresses in the past 4 years before realizing an important thing: I am very sensitive to memory foam.

The last two mattresses were high-end Simmons mattresses. During the first few days, when I lay on the mattress my body feels like it’s on fire, and I get very bad sleep.

Even after months of off-gassing, I wake up with a headache and the TASTE of memory foam gasses in the back of my throat.

The current mattress I have is a Simmons Hospitality mattress, and I am wondering if it is possible to have it cut open, and have the foam stuff removed and replaced with a layer of cotton and wool. It has a 1,000 coil count and I’d like to keep using that if possible.

I live in Orlando. Are there any such professionals who do this? What should I be looking for? Or am I better off just buying yet another mattress?

Thanks!

Hi mattress_advice,

It may be worth calling Fox Mattress or Atlas Mattress Factory in the Orlando list here and ask them if they can remove the memory foam and rebuild your mattress.

If they don’t and the only other alternative would be to dispose of your mattress then there is more about mattress surgery in post #2 here and the posts it links to that may be helpful.

If you do decide to try and “rebuild” your mattress it would probably be easier to replace your memory foam layers with polyfoam or latex than to replace them with cotton or wool which can be much more tricky to work with.

Phoenix

Thanks for your reply!

I want to avoid latex because I went to a store and tried one out and it smelled funny and I don’t like the feel of latex. I have allergies of all kinds, so I want to stick to cotton and wool only because I know I won’t have to worry.

I can have my current mattress replaced under warranty because it’s sagging more than it should. If I have a brand new SEALED Simmons Hospitality mattress that costs $1,500 or so, what would be the best way for me to sell it?

If I could do that I would just buy a new mattress.

Hi mattress_advice,

Post #9 here may be helpful.

Phoenix