The perfect comforter

Hi TMU community,

My perfect mattress is on the way, thanks in large part to this forum. More information on this in a week.

Now, I’m looking for the perfect comforter to go with it.

• All black
  • Very cool/breathable
  • Fairly thick/bulky
  • Quite soft but not silky
  • Ideally in one piece (no loose parts, no sheet)
  • Flippable/reversible
  • Easy to care for (machine washable, quick drying)

What do you say? Does my perfect comforter exist? Otherwise, what comes close to it?

Thank you all so much.

• PM

Hi pmperron.

While it’s not my area of specialty, and comforters are also a matter of personal preference, there is some good information about comforters in this topic and this topic and this topic and in post #24 and onwards here and this topic that may be helpful.

Others may be able to chime in with their comforter experiences, and if you do ultimately find your holy grail of comforters, definitely do let us know. :slight_smile:

NikkiTMU

The info you provided helped me narrow it down to two local manufacturers:

• a craftswoman in Sainte-Eulalie working with wool from sheep farmers in Quebec,

• and two brothers from Montreal working with recycled European white duvet.

I think I would go with wool if the craftswoman can make me an afordable custom light summer-like duvet for the hot sleeper that I am.

Do you have a material recommendation for a wool duvet cover, lyocell-latex-poly-coils mattress fitted sheet and gel pillowcase?

I’m a very hot sleeper that tends to sweat, so breathability and moisture resistance are important. And I recently had body oil stains issues on Brooklinen Classic Percale Sheets (100% long staple cotton) that I had to throw away.

I have been looking into linen, but could not find any black color option, only charcoal. If I absolutely want my bedding to be black, my research so far seems to indicate that non-viscose bamboo and performance polyester would be the next best breathable and moisture-wicking materials available.

Any thoughts? Thank you very much for your help. This forum has been a great resource.

Hi pmperron.

That’s great news! Funny that you mention linen, as that was just the material I was going to suggest. Is it possible for you to purchase the linen itself and then pay someone locally to dye and sew it to your specifications?

Lyocell (wood pulp), bamboo, linen, silk, wool, horsehair are all ultimately good moisture-wicking materials for bedding.

For moisture-wicking sheets, you may want to read this sheets/bedding thread .

I hope this helps.
NikkiTMU