The same questions everyone asks... What options do I have?

I’ve decided that its time for me to change my sleeping habitat. I went to a big chain store to get my feet wet, and the two options that I found that I liked were the TempurPedic Allura (medium) and a Serta that I didn’t see a label on, but the salesman said it was called the ‘kale’ … which I haven’t been been able to locate online. Also, I haven’t been able to determine the densities of the foams either… nobody seamed to have any idea what the numbers were. (Also the TempurPedic was WAY out of my price range!!!)

I’ve read a lot of your info, and I’m interested in perhaps finding a local manufacturer that can provide a comparable mattress, but I’m not sure where to find them in the Atlanta / North Georgia area.

Also… any advice for a tall guy? I’m ~6’4, and currently sleep in a ‘Super Single’ waterbed, (48x84) and wish I had a little more head/foot room… but I think I’m screwed in this area… am I?

Thanks,
Cev

Hi cevulirn,

In case you haven’t read it already … the first place to start your research is post #1 here which has all the basic information, steps, and guidelines you will find most helpful in finding the best possible choices … and avoiding the worst ones.

The ability and willingness to provide this information is one of the most important parts of a mattress purchase (right alongside of good testing for comfort and support) because without it you can’t make an informed decision or make any meaningful quality or value comparisons with other mattresses. If they don’t know and/or aren’t able or willing to call the factory to find out (for the manufacturers who provide this information to their retailers in the first place) … especially for the foam in the comfort layers that are the weak link of most mattresses … then it’s usually much safer to assume that they are lower density and walk away. I wouldn’t even spend any time testing a mattress if I didn’t know ahead of time that if I liked it this information would be available.

The better options and possibilities I’m aware of in the Atlanta area are listed in post #2 here.

The longest “standard” size would be california king which is 72" wide by 84" long. Local manufacturers can often make custom sizes to any dimensions you choose so that’s always a possibility although it can add to the cost. A cal king is 8" longer than your height which is generally enough for most people (a mattress that is 6" to 8" longer than the tallest person that uses it is the general guideline that is most often suggested) although extra room can certainly come in handy (I’m 6’ 5" and sleep on a queen so I do understand :))

Phoenix