The search for Latex Mattress in Barrie, Ontario area

Hello,
I’ve been researching about and searching for latex mattresses in the Barrie, Ontario area for over a year now. Often I end up back here reading the info on this website. So now I’ve decided to ask my own questions.

Basically I find there are few options here without traveling 2+ hours to purchase or test a latex mattress. So far I’ve narrowed it down to the IKEA Edsele (king size down to $750, if I don’t miss the clearance sale…), which has latex(natural and synthetic), wool, cotton.
Then a few mattresses by Pure Latex Bliss (Pamper, Nurture,+) sold at Sweetdreamz in Newmarket, $2500-3500.these are either a mix of foam cores with latex top, or all latex. Costco.ca is selling three of Naturas mattresses ($1500 for foam core and only 2-3" latex, $3000+ for all latex, I believe all have NaturaWool and cotton ticking). These wild have to be ordered without testing them as I don’t know of any showroom around who has these. Also, I just came across a Barrie store selling the NaturalEscape by Dreamstar, $1500approx. (4" soy foam core and 6" latex top…have to go back to check if cover is cotton or synthetic, can’t remember sorry), they can also get me an all latex for $4000approx. It’s the first time I’ve heard of this brand.

So, I’m wondering…
1.) if you have any other local options (I saw your list of local Toronto manufacturers, but live too far to go try them all out). If there’s one or two you’d recommend I’d certainly go check them out, but am finding it difficult to filter through them all.
2.) if I’m better off just going for (potentially) lesser quality but all latex and natural materials(important to me) for a great price at Ikea. Here the risk of having to replace the mattress sooner isn’t such a big deal as the cost is $750, not thousands
3.) is getting a latex mattress with foam core a waste of $1500-2000, since it’s not all latex (considering quality/durability, comfort, chemicals, etc)Am I better off to spend the extra(which means I’d have to wait a while to get a new bed and save up)

I know there are many things to consider with buying latex…natural, synthetic, talalay, Dunlop , layers and firmness as well as warranties… And as much as I’d like to get the “best of all” I seem to be pretty limited by cost, availability to purchase and availability to actually see, feel and try one in a showroom. So any advice to help me narrow down my search would be helpful.
Thanks!

Hi Miriam,

Post #2 here includes the better options or possibilities in the Barrie area I’m aware of that may be helpful.

The “value” of a mattress purchase and all the “shoulds” or “shouldn’ts” always depends on what else is available to you and how it compares to your other finalists based on the parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you. It would certainly be well worth considering as a finalist if it’s a good match for you in terms of PPP (which is always the most important part of the “value” of any mattress purchase).

Once again this would depend on what else is available to you and what you are comparing it to (either online or locally). A latex hybrid can certainly make a good choice for those that are outside of the budget range of an all latex mattress and has the advantage of having latex in the comfort layers which is much of what you “feel” on a mattress and having more durable materials in the comfort layers is the most important part of the durability of the mattress (a mattress will usually soften, compress, and break down from the top down). Post #2 here has more about a latex hybrid vs an all latex mattress.

If you are comfortable with including an online purchase as an option then post #21 here includes some of the better options I know of that ship across Canada that at the least can be a useful “value” reference for a local purchase or at best may include a mattress that is the best value for you.

Phoenix

Thanks for the reply,

I’ve decided to try the Ikea Edsele latex mattress. It is on clearance and was down to $600. For this price we were willing to give it a try and if in the long run it doesn’t stand up to what we expect of a latex mattress then it wasn’t a huge loss. So far I’m quite happy with it, but it’s only been a few nights. Aside from the weight of it, we had no trouble getting the king size up the stairs, which has two turns and a slanted low ceiling as there are no springs in it and it could bend a bit. Currently it is on the floor and we are going to build a nice solid wood bed frame for it. The debate now is slats (likely just 2x4’s…) spaced with a max 2" gap. Or solid surface such as plywood. Does solid surface cause problems if there’s no air flow to mattress?

Thanks for the info for the Barrie area stores. If this doesn’t work out then I’m going back to your list to continue the search.
Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I think you made a good quality/value choice and if you did some careful testing and the mattress is also a good “match” for you in terms of PPP then I think you did well … and congratulations on your new mattress :slight_smile:

It would depend on the other risk factors involved. There is more about this in post #10 here. I would lean towards a slat construction that used good quality wood that had little to no flex and narrow gaps unless there was a compelling reason to do otherwise.

I hope you have the chance to share your feedback once you’ve had the chance to sleep on it for a bit.

Phoenix

I just wanted to send a quick reply now that I’ve had a good year+ (I think, can’t quite remember) with the Ikea Edsele latex mattress. Overall it’s been great! For the clearance price of $600 it’s been worth it. I have no more hip pain from sleeping, at all, in any sleep position. I do not see any spots where the mattress has compressed or dips. We have a king size and it is resting on a platform of slats made of 2x4’s. Very solid, no sagging of the slats(they are supported in centre as well as sides) and no sagging of mattress between slats (approx 2.5" gaps). We are building a wooden bed to frame around this, but even without it the mattress doesn’t slide on the 2x4’s. It’s so heavy and the cover of the mattress is cotton, which isn’t as slippery as some synthetic mattress materials. The only downside to the edsele is that it really is heavy. Since it’s just latex, no firm structure inside, it flexes and bends easily. Being a king size I find it hard to tuck sheets in in the middle of the head end as I can’t reach and lifting a corner only lifts or bends the corner up. However, over all that’s a small price to pay for the otherwise great choice. Thanks for all the info on this site!
Miriam

Hi Miriam,

Thanks for taking the time to share an update about your Edsele mattress … I appreciate it :slight_smile:

I think it’s been a little over a year now (see here) and it’s good to see that your mattress is working out so well for you.

Phoenix