The what latex or memory foam mattress to buy Updated

update 1/28 So I drove to a mattress store today, the ones I liked all killed my budgets so I am now looking for mattress that feel similar. I tried the pure bliss and did not like it. Way too bouncy.

Serta iComfort Merit pillow top
Serta Acumen iComfort
Tempur cloud elite

after reading everything i can find on the topic, I am still stuck…
I currently have a 10 year old Sealy Adelefia Cush-Frim with a 3" memory foam topper. My wife is a back sleeper (5-4 150) and I am a stomach/side sleeper (5-10, 210).

Our current mattress was way to firm for my wife after a back surgery and we bought the topper. The topper has certainly lost some support. My wife tends to be a hotter sleeper than I am. And I do not want a bed where you sink deeply into it.

I have been looking at the Casper, Dreamfoam EuroTop or Ultimate dreams, Novaform 14", bed in a box 11" and Brooklyn Bed options. I want to keep the Queen sized purchase as close to a $1000 as I can, but I can pay more if there is a significant difference.

As an estimate, I liked the basic feeling of the Serta iseries somewhere in between the firm-cushion to plush
Thanks for any help

T

Hi tsunamis,

Just in case you haven’t read it yet … the best place to start is the mattress shopping tutorial here which includes all the basic information, steps, and guidelines that can help you with “how” make the best possible choice … and know how and why to avoid the worst ones.

As you probably know from your reading here … only you can feel what you feel on a mattress and there are too many unknowns, variables, and personal preferences involved for anyone to be able to suggest a specific mattress based on specs (either yours or a mattress), health conditions, individual circumstances, or “theory at a distance” (see post #3 here). I’m certainly happy to help with “how” to choose but the specifics of “what” to choose will always be based on your own individual research, testing, and preferences and on all the specific criteria and parts of your personal value equation that are most important to you.

Some of the more important links in the tutorial that I would make sure you have read include …

Post #2 here which includes more about the different ways to choose a mattress (either locally or online) that can help you assess and minimize the risks involved in each of them.

Post #13 here which includes more information about the most important parts of the “value” of a mattress purchase that can help you make more meaningful comparisons between mattresses.

In your post title you indicated that you were interested in a latex/polyfoam hybrid so that would exclude the Novaform 14" and the Bedinabox 11" because both of these are memory foam mattresses not latex/polyfoam hybrids (and they both contain lower quality/density memory foam than I would consider anyway).

The Casper also doesn’t contain enough latex to really qualify as a latex/polyfoam hybrid (it has 1.5" of latex and another 1.5" of memory foam in the comfort layers) although some people may prefer the “feel” of a latex/memory foam comfort layer. The Casper is one of a newer “breed” of mattresses that are marketed as “one choice fits all” (see post #3 here). One of the advantages of a “one choice fits all” mattress where there is only one firmness option available is that it is very simple way to choose a mattress without spending time testing different mattresses but you will generally find that it will be the “best” match for a relatively small percentage of the population, a “good” match for a larger percentage, and an “OK” match for a larger percentage yet. The only way to know which group you fit in will be based on your actual sleeping experience but for those where it’s not a “good enough” match then they all have a great return policy that lets you start all over again with choosing another mattress with little risk outside of the time you spent trying the mattress or returning it.

The Dreamfoam Eurotop and the Ultimate Dreams are both latex/polyfoam hybrids. They are similar mattresses except the Eurotop uses a slightly thicker support core and also has a more costly cover with a zipper top that allows you to exchange the firmness of the latex comfort layer for a firmer or softer version if your original choice doesn’t turn out to be as firm or soft as you hoped for (see post #4 here).

The Brooklyn Bedding mattresses use higher quality materials (2.17 lb base foam vs 1.5 lb base foam for example and covers that include wool quilting) but the Eurotop would be closest to the Brooklyn Bedding Bamboo Bliss. Post #16 here has more about the differences between them.

[quote]As an estimate, I liked the basic feeling of the Serta iseries somewhere in between the firm-cushion to plush
Thanks for any help[/quote]

The Serta iSeries mattresses are a completely different type of mattress so unfortunately none of them would be a useful reference point to help you choose a mattress that has a very different design and combination of materials and components.

Phoenix

Thank you. I have not ruled out memory foam. I will look closer at the options from BB if they are using higher quality materials.

Can anyone chime in with experience on their beds long term?

Hi tsunamis,

There is no long term experience on any of their mattresses because they have only been selling them for a little over 3 years (and many of them for less than that) and this isn’t nearly long enough to assess the durability of any good quality mattress although the materials they are using have a much longer track record of being used in mattresses that are made by many manufacturers for many years.

I would be very cautious about using mattress reviews (positive or negative) about either the suitability of a mattress in terms of PPP (Posture and alignment, Pressure relief, or Personal preferences) or the durability of a mattress as a reliable source of mattress research or information and in many cases they can be much more misleading than helpful (see post #13 here).

A mattress is only as durable as it’s construction and the quality/durability of the materials inside it regardless of the specific mattress or the manufacturer that makes it and there are much more reliable ways to assess the durability of a mattress or know whether it has any weak links in its design than using reviews (see this article and the quality/durability guidelines that it links to). There is also more detailed information about the many variables that can affect the durability and useful life of a mattress relative to different people in post #4 here and the posts it links to.

Phoenix

Thank you!